Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 410688 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1
« Reply #1500 on: June 15, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
Sony just finished up their conference:

The Last Guardian Trailer (w/Gameplay)
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Guerrilla Games new IP: 3rd person game with post-apocalyptic motif, tribal hunters chasing robot animals?
New Hitman Game
New Street Fighter 5 Player announcements
No Man's Sky - Gameplay trailer
Dreams - Media Molecule animation tool?
Firewatch - Adventure game where you play a park ranger?
Destiny DLC - The Taken King
Assassin's Creed: Clockwork Orange edition
Final Fantasy: So cute you barf edition
Final Fantasy 7: REMAKE.
Devolver Indie potpurri
Shenmue 3
Oculus Rift Project Morpheus
A la carte tv channel subscriptions?!?!
Codblops III multiplayer co-op. - 4 player
Disney Infinity Star wars
Uncharted 4.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 15, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »
FF7 HD... I can't help but think someone at SONY saw Nintendo's Earthbound annoncement yesterday and though "Oh, yeah!  Let's see what happens when we do this..."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 15, 2015, 11:03:14 PM »
Definitely thought Sony's conference was better than Microsoft's.

Had a few cool surprises, and it's good to see The Last Guardian back.

And lol at the Uncharted demo fucking up. At least it wasn't scripted.

I was ultra hype through most of it, but upon retrospect, so much of Sony's conference were quick hits & more teasers than actual trailers.  I'll reserve hype until there are some solid release dates or at least more detail.  Additionally, it felt like they blew their payload in the first 1/2 of the conference & sort of drug on until the Uncharted sequence.

Totally agree on the Last Guardian though, so happy to see that back from the dead.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 15, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
Uncharted 4 looks better than just about anything out there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 15, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
Sony had some big announcements, but just about everything was 2016 at the earliest.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1505 on: June 15, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Sony's 1st party lineup, now until 12/31:

- God of War 3 HDer (July)
- Until Dawn (Aug)
- Tearaway Unfolded (Sep)
- Uncharted: Master Thief Collection (Oct)
...?

That's three HD remakes and a horror game. Sure, they've got the TLG/UC4 double shot next year, but who knows when Horizon is coming out and FF7R is 2017 at the earliest.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
Horizon looks like....I don't know..really really really good but...

SHENMUE III

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 16, 2015, 12:01:28 AM »
So we're alright with Kickstarter announcements now?

Jeez, it's already over a million. But you know, maybe just fund the whole thing if you want it that much.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:06:21 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 16, 2015, 12:09:10 AM »
Guess they went back to their ICO roots with Last Guardian.  It was like the blind princess evolved into a giant crippled flying dog.

But it looked awesome.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 16, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »
Quick thoughts on the conference: Great, but Sony's 2015 still looks weak as hell, with only Until Dawn; The Uncharted Collection; & Tearaway.

Horizon looks fantastic.

I despise that the extremely whiny & possessive FF7 fanbase is finally getting their wish.

The Last Guardian finally being a reality again made me very happy.

Shenmue 3 will bankrupt whoever's REALLY paying for that game (likely Sony), even with that Kickstarter.

No Ratchet & Clank, no Sly Cooper, no Kingdom Hearts 3, and no Persona 5 makes me unhappy.

VERY short conference by Sony Standards.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »
A lot of stuff sony showed was 2016 or later so that was disappointing.  Dreams--what the hell is this?  No Man's Sky still looking boring as hell so that really only left with some exclusive DLC news and Horizon, which was looking great but no date set has me thinking 2017.

Very little VITA news :(.  Really wanted Sega to bring Valkyrie Chronicles 3 to the NA at the very least :().

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 16, 2015, 12:48:06 AM »
Well, Sony hit the fanboy triple score. The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII remake, Shenmue III.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 16, 2015, 12:53:49 AM »
Gotta love the ever-present broodwars and his ever-present negativity.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna move to Sony World Report because some of the reactions I've seen here is ridiculous.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 16, 2015, 01:04:13 AM »
That Kickstarter Shenmue business really is absurd. It's worse than Spike Lee going to Kickstarter. Instead of a wealthy artist being able to fund the project himself but seeking crowdfunding instead, a multinational corporation is making the same plea while using the cachet to enhance its own brand before the project is even technically real, though of course the Kickstarter can't fail.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 16, 2015, 01:07:45 AM »
Gotta love the ever-present broodwars and his ever-present negativity.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna move to Sony World Report because some of the reactions I've seen here is ridiculous.

By all means. No one's stopping you. I called the conference "great." You DID read that, right? I assume you can read?

I liked the Sony & Microsoft conferences today. They renewed my faith in E3, despite EA & Ubisoft's conferences sucking (as usual). That said, Sony announced absolutely NOTHING for 2015 at that conference. Their Fall 2015 lineup looks just as weak now as it did before E3, and I find that very concerning.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:17:15 AM by broodwars »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:41 AM »
Nintendo focusing on the End of 2015 might be a good thing for them, because like Broodwars, I tought some of these announcements were neat but all those release dates were disheartening.

It's cool to see a mix of old and new on PS4, but dear lord... I've already heard people declaring FFVII BUT HIGH TECH the thing that won E3 which is just pathetic.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:30 AM »
Nintendo focusing on the End of 2015 might be a good thing for them, because like Broodwars, I tought some of these announcements were neat but all those release dates were disheartening.

It's cool to see a mix of old and new on PS4, but dear lord... I've already heard people declaring FFVII BUT HIGH TECH the thing that won E3 which is just pathetic.

A lot of people are going to be very disappointed by this FF 7 remake. For one thing, it's likely a LONG way off. For another, people forget just HOW goofy FF7 was, and I really wonder how that stuff is going to mesh with this dark & brooding Advent Children art style.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 16, 2015, 05:53:57 AM »
I was more surprised at the reaction of FFVII remake announcement, I always knew it was just a matter of time for it to happen.  There's some very funny youtube vidoes of people going bat-**** nuts over FFVII Remake.

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6205951?t=9h47m38s

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:36 AM »
The FF7 remake reactions are over the top and I think everyone losing their minds over it are idiots. Tifa with jiggle physics and Aerith's death (Is that still even a spoiler?) in HD and the fanboys are happy. Sorry, but if this is THE reason to buy a PS4, then it is pathetic.

The Last Guardian might be what pushes me into a PS4 along with Bloodborne and Persona 5.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 16, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »
So we're alright with Kickstarter announcements now?

Jeez, it's already over a million. But you know, maybe just fund the whole thing if you want it that much.

A quick google-fu suggests the cost to develop Shenmue was $70 million.  That's a lot of Guacamole.  My guess is the kickstarter is meant to gauge interest more than outright fund the project (beyond the initial donor level, I believe all remaining ones are for varying copies of the game), and Sony is backing it financially beyond the funds received from kickstarter.  Probably also why PS4 is the only non-PC system it's coming to.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1520 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
Well, let's hope that Kickstarter took the bullet that's aimed squarely at the PC market and the PS4, because Shenmue's funding at a pace that would get it a phone call from Sepp Blatter.

Shenmue: Killed the Dreamcast
Shenmue 2: Killed Sega as an independent company
Shenmue 3: ???
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
The FF7 remake reactions are over the top and I think everyone losing their minds over it are idiots. Tifa with jiggle physics and Aerith's death (Is that still even a spoiler?) in HD and the fanboys are happy. Sorry, but if this is THE reason to buy a PS4, then it is pathetic.

I don't see FF7 as a system sell as much as it's fan-service.  I played that game at the right time in my life for it to really click.  Unless I hear ways in which they've really screwed with the original game mechanics or bad story changes, i'd probably be in the boat of people who'll jump at the chance to play this in HD again.

It's a tough line to balance on - you're right there are some cringey things (Tifa's bowling-ball top-heaviness for sure).  That said, I think the bigger fear of mine is they go too far off the reservation and make changes to the story or battle system in service of "modernizing" or trying to appeal to new potential players.

Square-Enix just needs to acknowledge this remake needs to be for the original fans of the PS1 game, and not try to cater much to newcomers.  They should take the same route Grezzo did with the Zelda remakes and make any changes in service to improving the flow of the game and minor improvements.  The music, locations, and story are iconic to fans now...you mess with that, and you mess with any reason they'll want to play the remake.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
As someone who only tried playing FF7 recently (before giving up in disgust, making it one of extremely few games that I not only fail to finish but actively regret paying for), I'm very interested to see how the upgrade goes.

This remake could fix all of the problems (very poor translation work marring this story, far too much time wasted on garbage mini-games and weird side stories instead of the core game, graphics that looked poor on release and have aged horribly) or it could make the flaws stand out even worse.

Will nostalgia-crazed fans love the re-release, or end up viewing it as some kind of sacrilege? How will newcomers to FF7 will enjoy the uneven experience?  Will I be convinced to give the game another shot despite the strong distaste it left in my mouth previously?

So yeah, very curious.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
They probably will make a true and blue remake. Aside from changing character models and giving them some form of character, FF3 on the DS was pretty much the same aside from graphics.

I don't hate the game, but right now there is no reason for a remake other then a cash grab. The game is easily available on PC, PS3, and PS4 (Idk about the Vita). Just like there was no reason for FFX/X-2 HD to be ported 3 TIMES! SE likes to run wild with remakes sometimes and FF7 has an obsessive fanbase and overall it is just annoying. Especially how a remake is overshadowing everything else at this point.

Just for reference's sake. I got a PS1 copy in ~2011. Saw siblings play it back in the 90s a little (mainly chocobo races), but they broke the discs. When I played it, I did love the game. I do agree with ejamer on one thing though. Translation needs help. A lot of text just felt unnecessary (the voice in the Mako reactor you hear once and never hear again for example).
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 16, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
I feel like all remakes are cash grabs. Why else would a company do it? There's a prexisting fanbase for whatever is being remade so it's already an easier sell.

I didn't play Final Fantasy VII until 2000, and that was after Final Fantasy IX so I don't have the same attachment to a Cloud and co as many others. I'm glad the game is getting remade, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it.

I expect only the basic story to remain the same but slightly altered to accommodate all the sequels and side stories over the years. No major changes though.