Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 267007 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #1025 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22:10 AM »
Umm Uncharted was their AAA game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
I've had the money set aside for a vita since before it was even called vita.  Still planning on getting mine next week along with uncharted.  Especially since I had an early preorder of uncharted for 40$.  Still I'm not going to get all negative on sony about forcing touch when nintendo constantly does it to me also.  Every time I go into the systems menu or something having to switch between buttons then to touch.   I've just gotten used to it I guess.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
Not really trying to argue, but most of the 3DS menus support D-Pad and buttons for navigation. It's usually less convenient, but it's there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »
Continuing the trend of "why won't Sony just let me use buttons?", I was in my local GS today looking into a game I'm thinking about pre-ordering for March (Tales of Graces F), and they had a Vita demo unit.  I have to say, holding the unit in my hands it is a pretty impressive piece of tech.  It's surprisingly thin, thinner than my PSP 3000, and the screen is really impressive.  I'm not a huge fan of the shoulder buttons, though, which are just as flimsy as their PSP counterparts.  And the analog nubs just felt weird to me, responsive but also very loose-feeling.

Then I actually tried a few of the demos, and familiar issues started emerging.  The load times for the Vita demos were pretty obscene, easily approaching a minute to get from the dashboard to a menu I could actually interact with.  And none of the demos supported D-pad or button use while in their respective menus, though I was "assured" by the ever-knowledgeable GameStop person nearby....yes, I'll stop for a moment so we can all laugh.....that this was only the case in the demo versions.  If this is the case, I don't know why Sony would have demos in their demo units that did not support touch AND traditional controls.  It just turns me off from the handheld, so much that if Nintendo hadn't already spent most of the last few years irritating me it possibly could have pushed me to get a 3DS.

At least Uncharted looked good, I guess.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 14, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Pretty sure you have to touch screen in the system menu for setup though.. Today when traveling I took my 3ds and had to manually set up each wifi connection since it didn't automatically pick them up.  Everytime I went into the internet settings I had to use touch screen.  I could be wrong though.   I think there are places in the E-Shop that also do this to me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 15, 2012, 04:38:29 AM »
Yeah, System Settings requires it. I rarely go in there, but if you regularly need to add Wi-Fi networks that makes sense. Most everything else works with buttons, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
I'm usually too lazy to take out the stylus because it's in a less convenient position than on the DSi. That's totally my problem and i'm not even going to try to make it seem like it's more than it is because it's not like my day is ruined by it or anything. I still like that Nintendo made using buttons an option. Being given choices is a win for everyone.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 15, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
Not for unborn fetuses..

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
They're not people yet. They don't count.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1034 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
I think we'll all remember this time in forum history and where we were when the PSVita thread got locked.

For the record: I lol'd
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 15, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
Vita is Latin for life, so the Vita system is not pro-choice, but rather pro-life (Vita). Its in the name. That's why it doesn't let you use buttons to navigate, because that would be pro-choice and therefore anti-vita.

They're not people

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:03:01 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
I swear, if you people make me lock this thread I'm banning whomever I feel is the most responsible for it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
Army Coprs of Hell for the Vita got a 4.5 out of 10 when reviewed in the latest issue of Game Informer. In fact, the reviewer for the game said that it could easily pass for a standard PSP game. I had high hopes for this game and wished it was a Wii U launch title.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
Ban Chozo. His joke was terrible.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Uh, yeah... Of course, it does. Abortions for everyone.

Edit: Just to be clear since Chozo took my post seriously (smite, really?), I'm not serious about the abortions or fetuses not being people thing. Let's not go there. I don't want insano to have to lock this thread. And seriously, someone get Chozo a sarcasm detector...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:07:07 PM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 15, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Army Coprs of Hell for the Vita got a 4.5 out of 10 when reviewed in the latest issue of Game Informer. In fact, the reviewer for the game said that it could easily pass for a standard PSP game. I had high hopes for this game and wished it was a Wii U launch title.

If it ends up being a failure on the Vita there's a possibility it could get ported to other systems. But if it sucks is it really even worth messing with on any platform?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

Well, it sounds like a typical system launch title to me.  Across all the console & handheld platforms ever released, I'd be stunned if there were more than a dozen or so "quality" launch titles that we didn't later look back on with derision.  Everything else tends to be mediocre & gimmicky, like the new Uncharted game (which comes off to me as more like DS launch title Feel the Magic with its focus on gimmicks every time I see it).  The Vita's launch is just so consistently unimpressive, with the possible exception of Escape Plan and Sound Shapes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:40:05 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »

Edit: Just to be clear since Chozo took my post seriously (smite, really?), I'm not serious about the abortions or fetuses not being people thing. Let's not go there. I don't want insano to have to lock this thread. And seriously, someone get Chozo a sarcasm detector...

Abortions for some; miniature American flags for others.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1043 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
Aliens? Abortion jokes? Massive bombas?

My god, JAMES JONES WAS RIGHT!!
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 15, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »

Abortions for some; miniature American flags for others.

+1

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 15, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
So trying to get this train back on the tracks... Looks like the Vita's launch in Australia's going to be quite a whimper.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/three-major-australian-retailers-will-not-be-stocking-the-playstation-vita/
____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Bad news has come for bargain hunters in the lead-up to the launch of the PS Vita: Big W, Target and K-Mart will not be stocking the Sony handheld console.

Big W and Target said in emails they did not rule out stocking the console in the future, but they will not be available at launch.

“At this stage we are not stocking the PlayStation Vita, however it may be something that we stock at a later date,” read a statement from Big W and Target. K-Mart stated they will not be stocking the PS Vita at all because they are leaning towards products with lower prices.

It is unclear at the moment whether the retailers have made a choice to not stock the handheld console or if Sony has played a role in this. Sony Computer Entertainment Australia has gone on record with Jason Hill from the Sydney Morning Herald as saying that the Vita is “clearly targeted at the core gamer”. It is uncertain if this means that Sony only wants the Vita to be stocked at specialty retailers and excluded from department stores. Whatever the reason, the Vita not being visible at these three retailers is a strange move. Curiously, citing the cost of the Vita as a reason for not stocking it holds little water when the iPad is sold at these stores now, at a much higher price point than even the most expensive Vita SKU.

A secondary repercussion of this move is that gamers will be affected when it comes to looking for the best price for the Vita, with fewer stores fighting it out to offer competitive prices. Big W is especially known for not releasing prices on new devices up until release day and undercutting everyone. Without the discount chains, punters will be left paying whatever EB, GAME, JB and other retailers charge.

Sony has also dropped the price of the 3G Vita by $30 to $419.95 (when purchased with a Vodafone sim card, from Vodafone) just a week before launch. The price of the Wi-Fi unit remains unchanged at $349.95 — that’s same price the Nintendo 3DS launched at before the price was dropped after its terrible launch performance.

We have contacted Sony for comment and will update when we hear from them. "
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Although if I'm not mistaken, didn't the largest retailer in Australia refuse to stock the Wii and DS when they launched? I guess it's not quite a deathblow.

Umm Uncharted was their AAA game.

....ouch. Poor Vita...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 15, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
Major Publisher(s) Cancelling ALL Vita games and moving to 3DS Development?
Sony says: You are exaggerating.....
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/40335/Is_Vita_losing_developer_support_already_Sony_responds.php
In a story that went up on Nikkei's website today, written by Kiyoshi Shin, the head of Japan's IGDA branch, an unnamed source from the Japanese game industry says that "Major Japanese companies are canceling all projects intended for the Vita and are changing development to the 3DS."
original source

This is when the sound of grown men crying become like sweet music to one's ears.

Price Drop Incoming or Clearance bins for all!?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
Price Drop Incoming or Clearance bins for all!?

While I think a Price Drop is definitely Incoming due to just how ridiculously expensive Sony has made Vita purchases (given the games, the unit, the 3G payment plan for that model, and the memory cards), I think it far more likely that we'll just see a lot of multi-handheld projects this generation. I think we're seeing the cancelation of Vita-only projects and the birth of Vita/3DS projects now (with 3DS being the lead platform).  We'll see what happens when Japan's big Monster Hunter obsession hits the Vita, of course.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
Major Publisher(s) Cancelling ALL Vita games and moving to 3DS Development?

I have to admit, after seeing this happen to Nintendo generation after generation its nice to finally see the tables being turned for a change.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 16, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »
How did Sony go from being the cock of the walk to a feather duster?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.