Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 267011 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and it's called Next Generation Portable (NGP)
« Reply #625 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
So its going to be less powerful than a PS3 which is going to make direct ports impossible. I think it can be inferred from this that Sony realized the mistake they made with the PS3 of a $600 behemoth which no one could afford or was willing to pay. Now they realize that the Wii had it right and that it is more important to be affordable than powerful.

This is both good and bad for Nintendo. It is good because it means the NGP isn't going to outclass their 3DS by as much, but its bad because a more affordable NGP is going to have a better sales performance.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
It was always going to be less powerful than the PS3. In fact, before these cuts, it was less than half as powerful. I don't know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:37:02 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
It was always going to be less powerful than the PS3. In fact, before these buts, it was less than half as powerful. I don't know what you're talking about.

I was going by the RAM. Before the cuts it would have had the same MB of RAM available as the PS3 does.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 26, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
Oooh. Okay. My mistake.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »
But you are right, though... the processor and all that other stuff is important too. But I just don't know how to measure it against the Cell processor the PS3 uses. Clock speeds aren't everything, so comparing processors is a bit complicated.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
The downgrade is mostly in the RAM, but since the video RAM isn't touched, it shouldn't affect the graphics too much. There may be some slight visual downgrades which will come probably from detail and background environments first, but the average joe wouldn't notice anyway nor would they care.

And chances are that there will likely be alot of direct ports since the NGP doesn't need the same amount of RAM as the PS3 since it's not producing 1080p or even 720p (I think) visuals on it's 5" screen. You should still be able to have your Portable PS3 and actually play it on the go too.

But a $250 NGP puts the already wounded pride of the 3DS at risk. I still think Sony will go for a Premium over the 3DS ($299.99) and the 3DS will probably drop it's price right before/after Xmas ($224.99) to combat the sales with a larger price difference. Software lineup will help greatly though.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »
If 3DS sales don't start picking up soon then Nintendo should be considering a price cut even before then, and the cut needs to be more substantial than $25.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »
they probably won't drop it at all, but instead pack-in some software like Super Mario 3DS.

I'm will be surprised if they don't include or advertise some Avatar 3D on 3DS as soon as the movie shop is open. That just seems like so much easy money for everyone involved.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:59 AM »
Nintendo would be stupid to drop the price.

The only reason it's not taking off is because no one sees any reason to buy it yet. Simple as that. The DS did just as poorly out of the gate. It also didn't have the worst earth quake ever to deal with. Give it time and software and it'll sell.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendo regrets dropping the DS from $150 to $130 when they did, and I think they'll be a lot more hesitant to drop the 3DS price. It's not going to happen this year, that's for sure.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 27, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »
Maybe the 3DS's biggest problem right now is the DS which is half the price. I remember back when the PS3 was first launched it consistently got outsold by the PS2 which was like 1/5th the price.
is your sanity...

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:33 AM »
The NGP screen specs are 960 x 544 which is higher than standard TV specs but just a tad bit.  So yeah it's was never going be the same power as the PS3 but because it's running at an lower resolution it doesn't have to be.

I agree with Black, I think nintendo's next move it going include an packaged title.  The DS had Mario 64, and then the bigger bundles like Nintendodogs, BrianAge, Mario Kart, SuperMario Bros ect.  Think it's going be the next SMB game. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 27, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
The NGP screen specs are 960 x 544 which is higher than standard TV specs but just a tad bit.  So yeah it's was never going be the same power as the PS3 but because it's running at an lower resolution it doesn't have to be.

I agree with Black, I think nintendo's next move it going include an packaged title.  The DS had Mario 64, and then the bigger bundles like Nintendodogs, BrianAge, Mario Kart, SuperMario Bros ect.  Think it's going be the next SMB game. 
From what I hear I honestly think PilotWings should have been a Pack-in.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
Maybe the 3DS's biggest problem right now is the DS which is half the price. I remember back when the PS3 was first launched it consistently got outsold by the PS2 which was like 1/5th the price.

Isn't that the case with pretty much any new console? It always takes time for sales to die down from the cheaper previous generation, unless that generation didn't do all that hot. Also the PS3 vs PS2 sales had more to do with the PS3 being so expensive, it was being outsold by everything by quite a big margin.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 27, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »

Isn't that the case with pretty much any new console? It always takes time for sales to die down from the cheaper previous generation, unless that generation didn't do all that hot. Also the PS3 vs PS2 sales had more to do with the PS3 being so expensive, it was being outsold by everything by quite a big margin.
Not the Wii lol.  I think the GCN had ran its course.

Yeah and then Sony Quickly took away BC making it not a clear upgrade for someone with a dead PS2.  It should have been a bit cheaper but it was even then a cheaper Blu-Ray player and thats where I think Sony really squandered it.  They should have made it a point to have some cheap casual games for the people who got it just to be a Blu-Ray player.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:34:40 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 27, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »

Yeah and then Sony Quickly took away BC making it not a clear upgrade for someone with a dead PS2.  It should have been a bit cheaper but it was even then a cheaper Blu-Ray player and thats where I think Sony really squandered it.  They should have made it a point to have some cheap casual games for the people who got it just to be a Blu-Ray player.

Lol, which is why I said "unless that generation didn't so hot". I was thinking of Gamecube and Sega Saturn.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 27, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »

Lol, which is why I said "unless that generation didn't so hot". I was thinking of Gamecube and Sega Saturn.
lol, I honestly didn't see that line when I responded.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
NGP = PS Vita!?
« Reply #642 on: May 28, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
NGP aka PSP2 to actually be called PS Vita!?
Vita means Life.... PS Life? PlayStation Life?
http://gamespundit.com/1359/rumour-time-ngps-official-name-revealed
The ‘NGP’. The ‘Next Generation Portable’. The ‘PSP2’.
These are all synonyms for the successor of the PSP. But what is the final name?

The NGP was officially announced in January of this year. The release of the PSP successor itself wasn’t a big shock. We all knew it had to come eventually. The real shock was the specs of the device, which was essentially credited as a PS3 Portable with similar graphics.
After the announcement it became a tad silent around the NGP as Sony is waiting on the E3 to announce more.

But today we received some new, and exclusive, information from an anonymous source.
The official name of the NGP!
Rumor has it that the new Sony handheld will bear the name PS Vita. Vita is Latin/Italian for ‘life’.
Does Sony hope to bring life back into their stock? Do they want to rejuvenate the PSP? Revitalize your needs for portable gaming?

Our source tells us that this will be the definite and final name of the new system Sony will bring out at the end of 2011.

Sony is expected to give further announcements on the E3 next week.

Sounds like a horrible name like GEM was before Move. Not sure if I believe it is an official name, but some more like a slogan for advertising than the name of an actual product.

but the site also went on to add this after their article
In my opinion this is a very surprising name. Mainly because it will be the first innovative name Sony is using for any of its consoles/handhelds.

P.S. Please remember to take this with a grain of salt and this is NOT fake information that we have made up. The source cannot be proven reliable, of course, but this site was not set up with the intention of getting hits with bogus information. Other sites may do this but to be honest, I think that’s pretty sad. To reiterate, please don’t take this as fact and look to E3 for the final name; hopefully we’ll have it right! The above is of course still speculation and rumours and we have no confirmation as of yet but we will have some soon.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
So does that mean Sony's preemptively stealing Nintendo's "innovation" of the Vitality Sensor?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 28, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
It should have been called "PS Vista" and came with a copy of Windows Vista preinstalled on it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 29, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
It should have been called "PS Vista" and came with a copy of Windows Vista preinstalled on it.
And every time you pressed a button to perform an in-game action, it asked you for permission.

Also, Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to drop the price of 3DS. They need to release Zelda. 3DS should have launched with Ocarina of Time. It may be a 13 year old game, but it's still Ocarina of Time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
PS Vita Pics?
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
Some supposed pics have surfaced

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
I hope it's not the actual name. The more I think about it, the worse that sounds.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
I hope it's not the actual name. The more I think about it, the worse that sounds.

Indeed.  I'm confused just trying to imagine what that title is supposed to mean.  "Wii" was a terrible name as well, but the pun at least made a little bit of sense.  What is "Vita"?  Is it supposed to be short for "Vital", as in "It is Vital that we make money off this damn thing?" :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 29, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
Well it turns out that Vita was the codename before we knew it to be NGP
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/psp2-could-be-announced-at-the-end-of-the-month/

and then there is this bit of info
http://www.who.is/whois/playstationvita.com/

http://whois.pho.to/playstation.nl

The same company owns both sites and the 2nd one is to the Offical PlayStation Website.
PlaystionVita.com was registered back in in April

So it could be that the previous code name is infact going to be the final name and the pics above are from some E3 pamphlet, or that the pics above are from some documentation circulated months ago at a trade show of some sort (CES?).

But we only have about 9 days left to know for sure... (actually closer to 8 for Sony conference).

edit:
RipTen also backs the name
http://www.ripten.com/2011/05/29/uncharted-golden-abyss-coming-to-the-playstation-vita-brycew/
one upped with the subtitle to the PSVita's version of Uncharted: Golden Abyss
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:18:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »