Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 46823 times)

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Little Big Planet
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
My favourite user created level that I've seen is Hollow Bastion. The atmosphere is literally dripping in this level. I'm really impressed that someone could make something so 'complete' in such a short time. Sound effects are what raises the bar here I think.

I can see where thatguy is coming from, the platforming itself is very simple, the lack of Mario-esque double jumps and backflips really reduces the abilities of the sackpeople themselves. If there are going to be any negatives about this game it'll be the controls. (Spoken as one of the beta-less)

Speaking of the beta apparently it may open up for the last week. That'd be cool, I've entered or missed out on entering that any contests.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »
Aha!  I figured out what the game reminds me of:  Drawn to Life.  The concept looked great to anyone who checked it out, but the execution was terrible.  I think, from what I've seen, that Sony had a great concept, but the actual platforming, pieces, and gameplay are lazy, it seems.  Apparently, unlike Drawn to Life, those who play this love it, which is always good news.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »
Man, I just got a beta invite.....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
It's downloading now...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
Lucky bugger. I expect a staff blog with your thoughts ;)
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2008, 02:08:40 AM »
Pale, play "The Heist" level!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:35 AM »
The Heist Part 2 is much better then the first one.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:28:08 AM by Schadenfreude »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »
I only played the first two levels last nigiht, and now I'm leaving to camp for the weekend.  I had a lot of fun with what I've done so far.

I'm a little worried that the "loot" will become overwhelming, as they throw SO MUCH OF IT at you.

I will say that the arm moving mechanic is just too awesome.  For those that don't know, you hold down L2 and R2 and then the right and left sticks control your sackboy's arms.  So you can make him do all sorts of dances, especially if you use sixaxis to move his hips around.  My fiancee and I were just playing with that feature for like a half hour.

I think the controls feel really good for everything but depth changing.  I don't mind the floaty jumps.  It fits with the whimsical theme of the game.

Also, the british accent on the tutorial/narrator makes it awesome as well.  It feels very Monty Python inspired given that (I know, it's just how they talk =P ) and the cut out animation style of the intro.
---------------------

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »

I'll have to try that one today.  That beatboxer dude at the beginning was hilarious.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
Also, the british accent on the tutorial/narrator makes it awesome as well.  It feels very Monty Python inspired given that (I know, it's just how they talk =P ) and the cut out animation style of the intro.

So you're saying each copy of LBP ships with a little Greg Leahy inside of it?  Now THAT is next-gen.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
I don't mind the floaty jumps.

So there's no way to add or take gravity in the game, or apply specific physics to the sacks?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »
Yeah, you would think that you could make the jumping less floaty by tweaking physics.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
I think my problem is after playing so many platformers, the floaty jump and imprecise controls just feel wrong to me. I can see why Pale says they fit the game, but with how complicated you can make the platforming, I don't like struggling at parts that I wouldn't be in any other platformer.

There might be physics tweaking the future, who knows. The problem with that is that could result in a lot of broken games. I'd love to see some Galaxy-esque gravity levels though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:51:11 AM by Schadenfreude »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

So you're saying each copy of LBP ships with a little Greg Leahy inside of it?  Now THAT is next-gen.
Exactly! =P
---------------------

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »
The voice reminded me of the 'Hitchiker's Guide' movie, which, of course, reminds of Monty Python in some manner.

The 'voices' of the hint things reminded me of Animal Crossing. I had a cynical reaction of wondering if the same people who panned AC for that talk will turn around and express love of these mumbling creatures.

I haven't played, just watched it played at a friend's house. Anyone have an extra beta code?

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2008, 04:06:16 AM »

It's Stephen Fry. He is awesomeness.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »

Damn you're right, that level was tight!  There's a couple things I'd like to say about it but I don't want to spoil the twist.  For anyone who has the Beta much sure to play The Heist 1 n 2.  Best user levels I've come across. 

For a more comprehensive list the Gaf has a nice one going:

Heist (Part 1) ..... near North Pole (pink icon) (page 1)
rollercoaster ..... Mediterranean (page 1)
Little Big UNCHARTED ..... Pakistan (between Europe and India) (page 1)
SMB1 ..... California (page 2)
The Great Escape (Escape Nazi Germany!) (CENSORED!!!)
Escape The Cave! (multi-tiered level) .....
Temple of the Damned ..... Indonesia (page 5)
Icy Time trial ... South Africa (page 1)
Coco's Fun House .....
Dinoland ... Canada (page 1)
crazy wild west .... east of Canada (page 2)
Get off the Choppa' .... China
Asian Heights ... Asia (page 7)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
This is the greatest LBP level yet.

Be sure to watch until the end!!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »
This is the greatest LBP level yet.

Be sure to watch until the end!!

Glad you liked it!  I actually created that after work on Friday night in just 45 mins, no biggie!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
Won't load for me... I'm assuming D_Average is being sarcastic right?
---------------------

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
I assume so, yes.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »
I assume so, yes.  ;D

Sadly, yes.

I actually haven't even gotten around to attempting any creations.  I'm usually into this type of thing, but every type I jump into the Beta I end up blowing all my time in trying the "cool levels", time well spent though.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
Yesterday I made a glass cow with wheels on him that moo'ed every time you got close.  I then pushed him up and down some hills.

I have to say, I'm kind of intimidated by just how much can be done, so I haven't done much yet.  Plus I don't want to just lose everything when the retail game comes out either.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »
The possibilities of this game are pretty stunning. The video vudu posted is unbelievable.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
The level creator is really intimidating. I'm going to need to plan out my levels before I even attempt to make one. I'm waiting until the final game is out, just so I can collect all the items in the single player and work more on my ideas.