Author Topic: Splinter Cell: 9.1  (Read 5942 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Splinter Cell: 9.1
« on: April 04, 2003, 10:27:28 PM »
  IGN has given their review.  It says that its superior in controls and has added cut scenes to make more sense of the story.  The GBA features are supposedly great, so , cubedcanuck, as you may be right on this one.  The graphics are toned down from the xbox version, but still 'beautiful'.  My only wonder is why it's 9.1 when it got 9.6 on the box?  I guess it's not a big difference.  But it sounded like everything was tweaked to be better except the graphics, which I would think would earn it around the same score.  

Another reason to work O.T. this week....ugh  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 11:29:45 PM »
Different reviewers.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 12:07:37 AM »
yes i agree
im not trying to be a fanboy
but i believe that ignxbox saw more in splinter cell than cube.ign
i mean, splinter cell obviously doesnt deserve the scores Metroid or Zelda got, so the 9.1 imo is very fair
after all, splinter cell is the best xbox game  
LZ 2005

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 06:03:43 AM »
Next to Halo, supposedly.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 06:12:26 AM »
No offence but I prefer splinter cell to both WW and Metroid. IMO Timesplitters is better than all of them.

I will buy Splinter cell the day it is released for GC as I prefer the GC controller over the x-box one and I am curious to see what has been added.

As for the review score, I could care less. I play what I like regardless of what anyone thinks.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 06:15:06 AM »
Heh, I noticed

Me, too, but I just happen to like WW and MP. . . but there are also games I like that others wouldn't.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 06:30:24 AM »
hehe  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Moonwatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 07:59:08 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
No offence but I prefer splinter cell to both WW and Metroid. IMO Timesplitters is better than all of them.

I am offended that you have the nerve to like something that I like less than I like it and like another thing more than I like it.
"Anything that, in happening, cuases itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »
Thats what always happens with reviews when a system gets a port. Don't take it personally.  

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2003, 01:47:50 PM »
splinter cell... i would just play that on my beefy computer. i have a nintendo to play nintendo games, not computer games.
"I could care less". That pisses me off no end. It makes zero sense. "I couldn't care less" or "Like I could care less"... but not that.
Fin.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »
*is going to get it for PC because he loves his PC more than life itself*
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2003, 04:33:33 PM »
if i was going to get it, i would get it on my pc, but im not had a go of it on an xbawx in a store, not really my sort of game, does look pretty nice though

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 03:56:07 PM »
I bought the game on Friday and I was initially very impressed with the graphics and Sam Fisher's variety of moves, but I just went back to playing Wind Waker.  Splinter Cell is the type of game that just looks good in a gaming library because of its prestige.  

What am I saying?  I should've rented it.

cUbIsT
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2003, 04:14:55 PM »
Holy crap- I just had a massive de ja vu. I remembered reading Moowatcher's oddly quoted post, then reading PIAC's post, remembering all this, then deciding I should tell you all. O_O I SWEAR to god I've seen all this. I know my post is going to get deleted, too- crazy.

Or maybe I can change that by saying something on topic.

If you guys have read IGN head-to-head-to-head-to-head comparison, you'll see the GCN version of the game kinda got the short end of the stick. Besides the XBox version, it's the best graphically, but many things were changed in the PS2/GCN port that Fran and co. weren't too happy about, namely it being a lot easier (They specifically mentioned one very difficult mission in the XBox version where you have to sneak into a CIA building- in the PS2/GCN port, they just give you a fake IS). They also said the Gamecube version got some pretty piss poor extras- the sticky grenades aren't cool and the GBA link up sucks (while the PS2 version got a whole new level). In that article, they said the best version was the XBox one, 2nd was the PS2, and 3rd was the Gamecube (the PC version came in last because it had no extras whatsoever).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Husker02GT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2003, 07:29:26 PM »
A review is just a review, I've played games with great reviews and not liked them, and bad reviews and loved them. All a review is, is someone elses opinion. Anyways I'm playing splinter Cell right now, and I like it alot, its kinda frustrating, cuz the camera sucks, but other than that I dig it.  
-=Husker02GT=-
31 cube games and counting
Currently Playing: Red Faction 2, Splinter Cell, Wind Waker, and Def Jam Vendetta

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2003, 02:07:39 AM »

As for the review score, I could care less. I play what I like regardless of what anyone thinks.

ARG! ITS COULDNT, COULDNT, C O U L D N T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ARGGGGHHHHHHH, THIS REALLY ANNOYS ME!!!!! Why do people say could? It just doesnt make sense. *head explodes*

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2003, 02:10:11 AM »
  Actually, it's COULDN'T
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2003, 09:25:17 AM »
The xbox verison review was a long time ago, so standards and expectations have been raised.
Also they say the xbox version has better graphics.
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
I feel bad that I bought Splinter Cell. The camera is horrible and really hurts the overall enjoyment of the game

Oh well, more burnout 2 for me

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 04:22:31 PM »
And now on to how Gamespot gave the GCN and PS2 versions the exact same ratings, even in graphics. Let's all pretend the Gamecube has no graphical superiority over the PS2. They are, indeed, identical in every way.

I could care more.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 04:35:51 PM »
well.. they shouldn't be rating the graphics based on what the hardware is, they should be rating the graphics based on what the hardware can do. it's like giving a game on GBA a bad rating in graphics just because it's on GBA. So, yes Splinter Cell on Gamecube has better graphics, but the PS2 version looks really good for a PS2 game.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 04:41:12 PM »
The Xbox is the best version. The PS2 / GC ports have shorter sequences / areas.  I've seen screen caps of the exact same scene and in environments are shorter ( i.e. a exterior block is now half size, buildings that are half block away are now really close. ). The PS2 / GC ports have taken out the ENTIRE infiltrate the CIA headquarters from the exterior while it is heavily raining away. PLUS the oil rig level in the Xbox version takes place at DUSK ( beautiful orange looking ) , now it is at night. ETC.  The PS2 does have an extra level ... the power plant level. The GC has connectivity w/ GBA. The Xbox has the brand new Kola Cell level.