Author Topic: majora's mask  (Read 7065 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« on: April 01, 2003, 08:37:40 AM »
why does every one seem to have a problem with majora's mask?  i've heard a million complaints that the game was too easy, that it was too short, that people beat it in one day, etc.

i was a really big fan of the game, personally.  true, it didn't have the story line that ocarina of time had, but in terms of game play it was right up there.  i really enjoyed the new time limit issues that were presented by the three-day cycle.  and true, while there were only four main dungeons to complete, there were even more side quests than in ocarina.

i know i'm not the only one out there who enjoyed this game, i'm just wondering what other people's views on this game are.  after beating master quest a few weeks ago, i'm really tempted to break out my n64 and replay majora's mask after i get through wind waker once (maybe twice, depending on how much the game leaves me wanting more).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Giolon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 08:59:45 AM »
I loved Majora's Mask.  I throughly enjoyed collecting masks, and the increased focus on the characters in the world instead of just rushing off to complete a hundred dungeons.  For this reason, I found Majora's Mask to be much more emotionally compelling than OoT.  Who can forget the tragic story of Anju and Kafei?  Or how about the plight of Cremia and Romani?  The Deku Princess?  The postman?  The mayor?  The Bombers?  Majora's Mask was much more character driven than any previous Zelda game, and as anyone who's played it can see, has had A LOT of influence on Wind Waker.
¤~Giolon~¤

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 09:14:01 AM »
I loved Majora's Mask as well, but I never did fill in the bomber's notebook completely.  I guess that says something about the game.  I don't know what though...
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 09:59:03 AM »
Too easy?  Hmm.. From what I had gathered, most people found it too difficult or tedious.  Perhaps if all you're trying to do is beat the game, maybe you can get through it pretty quickly.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PorpoiseMuffins

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 10:03:30 AM »
I hated it...
Actually, I would have LOVED it, but the time thing was my idea of a complete nightmare.  It totally ruined it for me.  It was wicked hard and I just stopped playing it.  A huge dissappointment for me.  I like to take my time and look around explore.  I hated the pressure of having to rush through things and backtrack through a whole stinking dungeon if I took too long.  I hope they never do that time thing again or I just won't bother buying the game :-(

Offline Tekkena

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 11:36:45 AM »
 I beleive that most people just didn't have the skill or patients to beat the game. I got every single item, mask and did every sidequest before I went to the last boss. The game just had so many secrtets that most people couldn't figrue them out and do them all.

But what people don't realize is that MM was waaay better than Ocarina of Time in many ways. The story though not complex, was still very deep. But in order to know how deep, you must play through the characters and see how they react to the moon falling. And most of them had a life that they actually live and that you can interfere, like Kafei, Malon, The Zora Band, and of course  the Gorons and their leader risking his life saving his people.

And of course don't forget the coolest Link ever is in that game. Deity Link. The classic energy coming from the sword makes a combat and finally, MM just to hardcore for most people.  
"I am the holder of time, the keeper of evil, and the masters of dragons......."   Tekkena

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 02:37:20 PM »
I got most, if not all the stuff.  I loved that game.  Twas awesome.

As for the plot. . . while not relating to the rest of the Zelda series, it was still very interesting and innovative.  And, while OoT was not really cliche, MM was even less so.  I can't say which I preferred. . . I had to have outside help for OoT because my television is too dark to see anything, but I liked them both very much. . .  
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 02:41:47 PM »
The ONLY problem I had with the game was that it only had 4 dungeons. It could have stood a few more, especially since the dungeons that they did have were *so* well done (especially the Stone Tower Temple) that it just left you aching for more. Otherwise, it's my 3rd favorite game ever made, right behind Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 02:50:04 PM »
Ah, yes, that.  While it was still a pretty big game, four dungeons is small.  They were good dungeons, though. . . only thing I didn't do was gather fairies. . . that was just too much work for lazy ole me.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 03:19:59 PM »
the game was tough because of the time limit put on you for each of the 3 days
but if you took the time and got every mask, then the game was way more worth it
i didnt like this game as much as the other zeldas but it was still a good game in itself
i call the big one bitey.

Offline zumpiez

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 05:21:15 PM »
I only got messed up once because of time. But the fourth dungeon was just such a pain that I quit and I have yet to get motivated to play anymore. I liked the creepy yet whimsical atmosphere in Majora a lot more than Ocarina's.
Zelda > *

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 02:27:26 AM »
SPOILERS!

Zumpiez, have you learned the Backwards Song of Time? Basically just play the Song fo Time backwards and time will become 3 times slower, giving you the equivalent of 9 days to finish dungeons rather than 3. There's also the Double Song of Time (play each note twice in a row), which jumps ahead in time half a day. Both extremely useful.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Giolon

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2003, 04:55:54 PM »
Yeah, with the slowing down of time, I never had a problem completing a dungeon before time ran out.
¤~Giolon~¤

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2003, 05:35:31 PM »
I found the storyline in Majora's Mask much more interesting than Ocarina of Time, actually.  As Hostile Creation pointed out, the plot was less cliche than Ocarina of Time.  Perhaps the reason people don't see that is because the story in Majora's Mask comes from all the people that populate the world, rather than what the main character does.  I personally think that's an interesting way of doing things though, and it works particularly well for the Zelda series, because it doesn't have large parties of characters with distinct personalities like most RPGs.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
majora's mask
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 07:29:29 PM »
Majora's Mask rocked.  Especially the googly-eyeball miniboss in the Great Bay Temple.  The main bosses were pretty damn action-packed too.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2003, 11:19:27 PM »
I played through the whole game and got everything before fighting the last boss. (Deity Link Rocks{why didn't they have him in smash bros.?})
I loved it more than Ocarina of time, but the only gripe i had was the saving system. Either play the song pof time and reset what you were doing, or save at the owl and then stuff up the next time you play. at least the 3-days thing reminded you to actually save it once in a while, but with the owl statues you had to play the flying song, which was inconvient if you had to quickly turn off the game.
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2003, 10:16:39 AM »
The whole day/night thing was really cool. It was almost like the game real ran on a "real-time clock" before that stuff was even built into consoles. It gave the game a stronger sense of time than Ocarina of Time had. Majora's Mask rocked.

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2003, 11:40:57 AM »
I had more fun with MM than OOT. OOT was still greatly awesome, and I wanted more to wait for the GC Zelda. So MM was my man. And I had loads of fun. If I had to pick one gaming world to live in. It'd be Termina hands down. The cool design of the Swamp, Great Bay, Mountains, Canyons.. and Clock Town is fun to walk around. And it was the only Zelda or any game at all that I explored every nook and cranny because I liked exploring the worlds. The music and graphics were all great. I'd say everything was better in this game than OOT except the music, which was equal. But I still must give alot of credit to OOT for inspiring this one. I was also scared noone really liked it. But come to think of it, all the later Zelda games (Oracles, Wind Waker, and even the non Zelda Super Smash Brothers Melee) had lots of MM references (Tingle, Great Bay playing field)

I would like a sequel that takes place in Termina, actually i dont know, of course it wont involve 3 day systems, the Moon or Majora's Mask, but it would be a nice revisit to check how everything's doing. Of course, that might just sound stupid..
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2003, 02:07:43 PM »
Heh heh. . . this has turned from a thread about "why don't you like MM" to "we love MM more than OoT". . . funny.

I've found that, in most cases (or for Nintendo, at least), when you play a game or look back in detail about it, you find how good it is.  If you think of it fleetingly, you bring out lots of flaws that never really bothered you while actually playing the game.  This seems common in Super Mario Sunshine, especially, but other games, too.  People are overly critical about good things.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2003, 08:10:14 PM »
Majora's Mask was *awesome*.  It had some the best dungeon designs I have EVER seen.  The first two were good, but the last two are simply brilliant.  The inverted temple... utterly brilliant.  The only real problems were the small number of dungeons (I want at LEAST two more) and the layout of the map - I didn't like the very structured N-S-W-E style as much as I did the vast, epic style of OoT with the Hyrule Field.  I think I would've preferred to go without the time limit, but it did actually work pretty well.  The side-quests were just great.

majora's mask
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2003, 02:27:56 AM »
Great game--but I have the same issues with it as WW, to easy, to focused on sidequests--I would have liked some sidequests slashed for time on more dungeons.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2003, 06:45:56 AM »
There were supposed to be more dungeons (2, I think), but they had to cut them due to deadlines and stuff.  I have a feeling, thouh it may be completely wrong, that they may put out another disk or something with the other dungeons.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2003, 09:20:36 AM »
When I first got the game I hated it, I just stopped playing after the first dungeon. Then one day, quite awhile later, I picked it up again and I thought "Wow, this actually kicks arse", I went on to beat the game, after filling out my Bombers Handbook (I think that is what it was called), I also got all the Fairies and Masks. And I loved having the shooting sword at the end, I miss that almost as much as I miss FireFlowers in Mario.

Majora's Mask isn't my favorite Zelda game, but it was still very good.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2003, 08:34:58 PM »
yeah...majora's maks was great. Its bosses were too easy and had too few dungeons...but all that aside it was freakign awesome. The attention to detail was great...the story was just what i needed...is it me or is majora just one evil little bastard compared to ganon.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
majora's mask
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2003, 07:41:10 AM »
Ganon was just something you had to defeat, because you knew you had to defeat him to save the world and stuff.  The developers made me want to destroy the mask.