Author Topic: GameCube Controller Question  (Read 11711 times)

Offline David G

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube Controller Question
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 03:04:33 AM »
Go to Kmart and get yourself a wavebird.  I got one for $24 inc. tax.  I also got mario party plus a wavebird for 54.

Offline Raijin Z

• View Profile
RE: GameCube Controller Question
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »
Hah, as I type this, I'm fixing the left analog stick on one of my controllers. I just need to find the crazy glue, and I'll be done.

Here's why the sticks get worn out. I'm waiting for my optical mouse to come in the mail, so the ball mouse I used made everything look sloppy.

http://jigoku.studio-zoe.com/temp/gcnstick.png

In figure A, we see the analog stick without the plastic cap on it. Note the stick in the middle.
In figure B, a closeup of the stick. Two posts come off of it about a quarter inch down. Those posts go through notches, and when you move the stick, it pulls on these notched parts and blah blah blah.
In figure C, you'll note that the post looks chewed up. This is from constantly pushing the post against the notch. It gradually wears away. Near as I can figure, gluing the post into the notch CAREFULLY (if you gle everything together, you just killed the stick mechanism), the stick should respond normally... but super glue doesn't held up to great amounts of stress. Anyway, the controller should work fine after that, and the only problem I forsee is the stick not standing perfectly straight up when at zero position.... but that's not big deal, it won't be severe.

Offline Markoso

• View Profile
RE:GameCube Controller Question
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 06:46:09 PM »
Hmm, how did that fix for the analog stick go, with the crazy glue and such.  I owned 5 N64 controllers (one got stuck down a vent....don't ask), and the one I got at launch, I used vigorously for 3 and a half years, goldeneye, perfect dark, and wow, the abuse it withheld, before I had to call up nintendo, they sent me an analog stick for free that I just stuck in my controller, had a manual and everything.  Unfortunately, the GC controllers don't have that luxury, nintendo said some crap about it being more complex and such and such.  In any case, report the status of that fixage!.
Dun have one yet.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »
You know there are always people who claim that their controllers are as good as they the day they were made. Now I'm not saing that that isn't possible. Some folks just take outstanding care of their stuff. But you never really know just how bad off your current controller is untill you buy a new one and start playing with it.

I say this because I never thought that after only a year or so my GCN controllers would have any noticeable wear to their control sticks. But then I went out and bought a couple new ones and I was AMAZED at just how sensitive and responsive the sticks were. It just goes to show I guess.

Speaking of which, that's been a WHILE ago. Time to buy more GCN controllers!

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 05:47:53 AM »
yeah, I can't afford new controllers, so ever since the NES day's I've learned to keep my controllers in tip top shape.  My NES controllers are the ones that came with the system and work like a charm.  I am however going to buy those wireless nes and snes controllers when I get a chance.

Offline Markoso

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2004, 09:13:32 PM »
Hmm, no new word on the crazy glue method?  I already bought a 3rd GC controller, but I'd still like to try and repair the second.
Dun have one yet.

Offline seen33

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2004, 01:57:46 AM »
I own 5 1st party corded controlers (2 for me and 3 for my brothers gamecube) and all 5 of them dont rumble or rumble very low .  It appears nintendos 1st pary controllers lose thier rumble after as little as 1 month.  I never had a problem with ANY analog stick, and some of the controlers are from launch.  Disapointed in the loss of rumble, I bought 2 wavebirds since I figured that I dont have rumble anyway.  Wavebirds are awsome.  The only problem with wavebirds is that there is no rumble but since the official controlers dont really rumble anyway.. then who cares?  oh also RF does not go through everything as well.  Not only with my wavebirds..but wireless keyboard.  It doesent seem to pass through my bed frame which it has to if im sitting far back on my bed.  Kinda dumb but at least RF is still better then IR

Personally I would love to see revolution launch with a wireless controller (like wavebird) except with a built in on/off rumble switch.  3rd party xbox wireless controlers have the switch so it IS possible.  i would guess it would bring wavebirds 100 hours down to maybe 20 if it was on constant rumble?  An even better idea would be to have the new wavebirds with built in lithion ion (sp?) batteries and it comes with a little "base charger" that u just throw it on when your not in use.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2004, 02:01:57 AM »
I own 5 1st party controllers.  Never had rumble problems.  I wore out all the analog sticks thanks to SSBM smash hits.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2004, 07:51:23 AM »
seen33, I think you may have had some seriously bad luck.  I have 4 first party controllers and none have lost their rumble.  And since the rumble doesn't run off a battery of any sort, I think it would be hard for the rumble to "run out."  Maybe someone here needs to be a little nicer to his controllers. (like not throwing them, maybe)
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St