Author Topic: The Red Star and Odin Sphere  (Read 12670 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 02:36:55 AM »
Wow, Odin Sphere arrived earlier than expected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »
Gah, I just gave up in frustration vs. Briggan, after countless tries I finally managed to get him down to 20% health, he grabs me and takes me from ~130 HP to zero. Thanks. Bah. Also that pow bar is annoying, it's hard enough to squeeze some hits in, stunning the character if you do too many attacks without standing still for a while is way too much. How far in do you have to play to see the 10/10 worthiness of the game?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »
Well I think this game(odin) deserves a 7.5 - 8.5 at max, the power bar is annoying since you can't do any string of long combos and forces you to flee. I like the 2d look but I hate how each stage is pretty much a circular rotation with a "cartoon" effect on the background where you think the background looks different except it comes back as recycled. I think Vanillaware/Atlus should of fine tuned the controls since sometimes they tick me off and detract from the experience.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
The only issues I've had with the controls are that your fourth strike takes forever to do so if you start it you can forget about reacting to the enemy's next attack and the f###ing retarded interface conventions of the Playstation platform (X confirms, O cancels? WHY???).

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2007, 07:00:16 PM »
I don't see a problem with the power preventing infinite attacks since I rarely ever dizzy when not fighting a boss.

The volcano area is killing me.  The strong fire lizards just rock me constantly.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
BTW, is it normal that berserkers take you down 50% with one charge attack (in the city level) or does that mean I'm way below the recommended HP level?

Either way this feels like a crappy brawler so far, kinda like Viewtiful Joe if you removed all level variety, special moves and puzzles, i.e. everything that makes it great and added experience and inventory management.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »
That sounds about right for the charge attack.  I suggest you keep an eye on the silouette at the top of the screen since it gives you more notice when he is off screen and gliding helps a lot, do it all the time.  Make more painkiller potions then you think you need as well until you get the health potion recipe.  If I remember correctly the castle gives you many kinds of mandragora which you will miss in the next area.

Making compromises between high experience fruit, high health fruit and alchemy is pretty complicated and it is taking me a while to get the hang of it.  This game must be enormous because I have played a lot and I still haven't left the first story.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
Heh, my HP level seriously went up the moment I got access to the kitchen. And yeah, I'm constantly doped up on painkillers when fighting bigger enemies. I like how they managed to make all items desirable so there's no kind you just dump when you need to free some space up or sell when you meed a trader, almost everything is useful in some way.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
I just got the game in today.  I've been through the first 2 chapters and on the third.  I NEED more storage for goodness sake.  I have the two bags that come with her and a small bag but I'm always running out of room.  I don't like what they did with the cold mountain it was sort of mean.  Did anyone else notice that when you go to a level there is almost always a merchant selling something that can give you resistance to the Status Ailment of the chapter but it cost 100.  Which gets me to how hard it is to make money in the game...

Thought good game good game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 06:36:16 AM »
Money making becomes easier as you get better, in the second chapter I'd easily bring home 70+G from the first few missions already.

Also the ice mountain is not the only stage with an annoying condition you constantly have to use potions against.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
RE:The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2007, 06:51:41 PM »
I just beat The Red Star and it was awesome.  I played through it all on co-op with a friend.  This game is great and at times very hard.  We would have to try new strategies and positions on different bosses until we finally became good enough to follow the patterns and take them down.  Even after losing a bunch of times it never got old because we could see the progress we made.  The last boss, Troika, especially gives you a beat down.  After beating the game it unlocks cool arenas to play, a new character, and more things to unlock through the arenas.  If anyone has a friend to play a game with this is an absolute must.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
I got stuck in OS at the second story epilogue because I can't figure out how to kill those slimes.