Author Topic: The Red Star and Odin Sphere  (Read 12669 times)

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »
Don't know if any of you are intrested in these two titles, but I am, so I thought i spread the word.

As far as the red star, its already out and I've been playing it. Not many, or should i say almost none, of the on-line gaming sites have mentioned this game's release, and its sad because i'm a fan of beat-em ups. I can't say i love shumps but i liked ikaruga a lot, and the shump sections in the red star, while no where near as difficult as ikargua, are really fun, and they constantly change up the gameplay between shooter and beat-em up, and for some sections they mix the 2 together. The best part is that it's multiplayer and you can play with a friend. There are a total of 3 characters to choose from (which is really small, and the third has to be unlocked) but they all play differently. You can level up your weapons, health, special attack by purchasing upgrades at the end of each level based on points you scored (they rank you on how well you do as well). And the melee attack isn't simply limited to pressing X over and over, there is some different moves you can apply which a basic smash brothers approach to control.

Any one who has played guardian heroes on the saturn will probably like this game (depends if you hate hate old school shooters, as that element is heavily intergrated into the game). The special move set you can choose from isn't as wide as that of guardian heroes, and juggling enemies is pretty much not allowed in the red star, and if you ever played guardian heroes you know you could juggle untill the screen glitched out and turned black. I haven't gotten to far into the game, so i don't want to comment on the "magic system" but is seems like each character only gets one special attack, where in guardian heroes everyone had a bunch, and the purchasing upgrade system in this game works differently than the level up system in guardian heroes, but they are about equal. Now i know i made it sound like this game is crap when compared to guardian heroes, but I'm simply comparing it to the best because it's damn good, and better than any other beat-em up i've played so far with the exception of guardian heroes.

The game is $20 brand new, it came out like a week ago here in the states, there aren't many sites with reviews or videos. But if you aren't to lazy you can plug this into your browser -       http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ApKHGLbyAw         -and you'll see the first 2 levels of gameplay (really 3 but the 2nd stage is just a boss fight)

Also the game is based off of something, i think a comic, but i'm unsure. If your looking into getting the game because of the story I think you should reconsider as the story elements are weak. The game is really a throw back to old genres that just aren't really produced anymore. It's very good. If you like guardian heroes I'd say go for it. If you played and enjoyed god hand you'll like this game too (and the camera is never a problem)

Man i guess i ranted about red star to long. Anyway, anyone else looking into Odin Sphere. The game looks nice, and i definetly like the direction the combat is in, but i'm unsure if the combat is more secret of mana like than street fighter like. The art is also a plus. If anyone knows more about the combat system or nature of the game let me know.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:24:34 AM »
I played Red Star at a Gamestop demo station about three years ago. I liked it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Odin Sphere looks delicious, luxurious art style, 2D side-scrolling action rpg, and from what little I've read (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/783/783630p1.html)) it seems the gameplay mechanics are quite good for my liking.

Edit: Holy sh!t, I hope the music in Odin Sphere is like what is played on http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/, gorgeous and astonishing.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
I was looking for The Red Star in stores and wasn't able to find it.  I'll check again soon because I've been looking for an awesome co-op game like this.  Odin Sphere is also looking great.  I hadn't heard of it before but anything Atlus puts out I tend to love.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
RE:The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:59:48 AM »
I don't know if your going to be able to find the game at a local retail store. I found out the game is limited print, but you can still order it for the $20 initial price on-line from gamestop and amazon. I've heard on other forums that the game is becoming increasing difficult to find and isn't stocked in many areas. While i don't know how true that is, i do know the game is 3 years old, and the publisher probably just wanted to dump the game off to gain SOME revenue back. Hopefully they'll ship more copies, but i haven't heard anything.  

It's definitly a good fun co-op game, so if your looking for one it's a good choice, and at $20 brand new, it isn't to bad. Apparently you can get it for cheaper "from Buy.com and HAVE NOT used google check out with them before, you can get a $10 discount for using it. It comes out to around $13 with shipping" I ripped that off from another forum, hope it helps.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
Odin Sphere is like sex for the eyes. However, I wonder how much I'd actually be into the game...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Red Star is in all stores here. Looks like a normal budget game to me.

Odin Sphere looks like *wants*.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
Yeah I've seen Red Star all over the joint here. Picked it up, it's pretty bloody good. :]

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Yeah I've seen Red Star all over the joint here. Picked it up, it's pretty bloody good. :]

As long as you got it and enjoyed it, spread the word.

Yeah I'm not sure how odin sphere will play over the long term, but it LOOKS good.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Odin Sphere is an Action/RPG?  If so, I might pick it up! ( ARPGs)  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
Odin Sphere looks realllllllly good but I'll wait for a review.
Because I'm being cautious with Atlus' games...
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:07:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
Odin Sphere looks realllllllly good but I'll wait for a review.
Because I'm being cautious with Atlus' games...

If you wait for a review Atlus will run out of copies and it will never be sold again...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 03:14:51 AM »
I don't trust reviews with Atlus games...Both Swordcraft Story and Riviera got mediocre reviews and I enjoyed them thoroughly...(Maybe I should just say I don't trust reviews period...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »
Also, don't wait to get this game if you are interested.  Atlus games have a history of disappearing quick most of the time.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 04:23:07 AM »
Neither Swordcraft nor Riviera got released in Europe. Shame because Swordcraft DS 2 sounded nice.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:24 AM »
Yeah I'm worried about this game being sold out too, so i think i'll pick it up once it hits stores.

The nice thing about it is that the retail price is $40, the suck is that only in Japan can you get the pre-order bonus of the art book.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 05:22:59 AM »
The bad thing for me is I would have to pick up a PS2 as well since mine broke last year.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
If you wait for a review Atlus will run out of copies and it will never be sold again...

Well, I have hope for a review somewhere online the same month it'll be released.
Call me a dreamer if you want to.
Btw, does the game have a US release date? The only one I found was June but it is for Japan.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
It's out on the 22nd of this month here. And you can definetly expect reviews a day or 2 before the retail date because all the major sites are drooling over this game, mainly becuase its pretty, because i BARELY see them go into depth about the combat (which is the part i mainly intrested in).

Either way, red star is out now, and thats some good cheap gaming that everyone should try(as long as you like beat-em ups / shoot em-ups / or co-op games to play with a friend)  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
It's supposed to come out by the end of this month I think. (Amodaus1 was quicker haha)

I don't think there will be any problem in finding Odin Sphere if you are waiting for a review. I've recently ordered for my PS2 new copies of "Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness" (2004), "La Pucelle: Tactics" (2004), and "Shinobi" (2002), from dvdboxoffice.com, these games are quite rare too, but ebay might be your solution if you will have a really hard time finding Odin Sphere.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
I got Disgaea from the rerelease (also almost got Shinobi from a clearance sale but someone else was faster since I wanted to read reviews first, ended up buying Nightshade instead). Still haven't played it much, you have to level so much between missions and if you unlock a new character type you have to level that one up from zero too. Takes forever to get anywhere.

While we're on the subject of unknown new games, anyone know stuff about Demon Chaos or Final Armada?  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 03:24:22 AM »
Is this the same Red Star that Acclaim was working on before going bankrupt?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
Do you think Odin Sphere will have a Japanese/English option for the voice overs?
Because the official website says it'll have fully-voiced dialogues.

edit: according to Gamespot "Atlus is promising more than 40 hours of gameplay, and players will be able to play the game with Japanese or English voice actors."
PLEASE LET THEM BE RIGHT!!!!!!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
I prefer Japanese as long as the have English subtitles.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Grim Grimoire is another game that is coming out soon.  It is made by the same people who are making Odin Sphere and as you can see has a similar look to it.  This is a strategy game from a side perspective and I am really looking forward to it as well.