Author Topic: Rockstar has a new game called IV  (Read 56653 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE:Rockstar has a new game called IV
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »
I would hardly even call GTA games sandbox games.  A sandbox lets you do what you want but GTA games seem to let you only steal cars and kill people.

If in Mario 64 you gave Mario a star meter and when you killed enough goombas Koopa sent enemies after you it would be the same amount of interaction.  You can already "car jack" turtle shells, are free to roam the world and complete missions out of order, and kill what is in the level.

Real sandbox games are more like the Elder Scolls (haven't played the new one) where your freedom to do what you want encompasses more then stealing cars and killing civilians.  The new GTA needs to increase the interaction with the world a significant amount.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Rockstar has a new game called IV
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »
If the future of sandbox games is Elder Scrolls, count me OUT.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
I would hardly even call GTA games sandbox games.  A sandbox lets you do what you want but GTA games seem to let you only steal cars and kill people.

If in Mario 64 you gave Mario a star meter and when you killed enough goombas Koopa sent enemies after you it would be the same amount of interaction.  You can already "car jack" turtle shells, are free to roam the world and complete missions out of order, and kill what is in the level.

Real sandbox games are more like the Elder Scolls (haven't played the new one) where your freedom to do what you want encompasses more then stealing cars and killing civilians.  The new GTA needs to increase the interaction with the world a significant amount.

I'm  not a major GTA fan, but this is just silly.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
I'm  not a major GTA fan, but this is just silly.

Its a little bit of a stretch but the so called sandbox feel of gta is generally the world being big and you are able to drive around and kill anyone.  Last time I checked sandbox games weren't supposed to be so limited.  When gta3 first came out I thought it was cool but they really need to increase the amount of interactivity with the world on the next gen systems.  It isn't even supposed to be a slight a gta, I think they do a good job with the games just that I don't see it as much of a sandbox game like people say.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
As American Beauty showed us, sometimes blowing trash is all you need.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

As Family Guy showed us, IT'S JUST A PIECE OF TRASH BLOWING IN THE WIND! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW COMPLEX YOUR CIRCULATORY SYSTEM IS?!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
In true Mashiro fashion...

IV has been delayed to MMVIII.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Well done Vudu well done lol.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:42 AM »
Poor PS3 needed the game more than 360 and now that is gone too!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »
I said wow... that's a SIX MONTH DELAY!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
So is there any reason to buy a PS3 this year?

(any killer app)?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Hm Manhunt taken off their release schedule, that sucks.

the wishful thinker in me hopes IV is really being pushed back so they can make a downgraded wii version to release with the other two systems.  
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2007, 12:33:57 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Poor PS3 needed the game more than 360 and now that is gone too!

Both needed the game, considering how well the Wii is selling. It's now up to Halo 3 to stave off the months and months of great sales that have led to great momentum for Nintendo's console. Without GTA, I think the number of 360s that could be sold this holiday just dropped a lot, as now it has to tap largely into the Halo fanbase that was there for the previous generation rather than leaping forth to grab a lot of the PS2 fans who might have been on the fence this holiday season.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
Well Nintendo has now won this holiday season easily.  This pretty much kills the PS3 this year but it's also going to hurt Microsoft big time.  They needed this to go along with Halo 3 this fall in order as a combination that would be a sure killer app system seller.  But now all Microsoft has is Halo 3 and that's coming out in September, two months before the holiday rush.

Now I'm sure Halo 3 will get good sales in September and October but when November and December come around it's hype will have died down and without GTA to help them, Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros are going to be the dominate force this holiday.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Well Nintendo has now won this holiday season easily.  This pretty much kills the PS3 this year but it's also going to hurt Microsoft big time.  They needed this to go along with Halo 3 this fall in order as a combination that would be a sure killer app system seller.  But now all Microsoft has is Halo 3 and that's coming out in September, two months before the holiday rush.

Now I'm sure Halo 3 will get good sales in September and October but when November and December come around it's hype will have died down and without GTA to help them, Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros are going to be the dominate force this holiday.

MS will be fine with Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Bioshock.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
Should I rename this thread to make it more easily identifiable as the GTAIV thread?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »

Question: Do you see the latter two reaching for many console owners who weren't already on board with Gears of War or Halo 3? I don't doubt that all three will be great sellers to the 360 base, but I personally don't see the latter two expanding the market for Microsoft very much.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Question: Do you see the latter two reaching for many console owners who weren't already on board with Gears of War or Halo 3? I don't doubt that all three will be great sellers to the 360 base, but I personally don't see the latter two expanding the market for Microsoft very much.

Yeah but would GTA4 expand the market much since it is multiplatform? Personally I think it will be interesting to see how it sells systems with it being multiconsole. I think Bioshock has a chance to expand the market  but we will have to see, I'll agree that Mass Effect may not though.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »

Yeah but would GTA4 expand the market much?

For Microsoft? Why wouldn't it? In terms of sales, GTA can only really be challenged by Pokémon and Mario versus other franchises. It had the potential to reach into the large PS2 market who hasn't gone for a next generation system yet. For everyone singing the praises of Halo 3 as a system seller, I think it's hard to over look how much larger GTA is and what it would mean to push consoles this holiday season.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Yeah but would GTA4 expand the market much?

For Microsoft? Why wouldn't it? In terms of sales, GTA can only really be challenged by Pokémon and Mario versus other franchises. It had the potential to reach into the large PS2 market who hasn't gone for a next generation system yet. For everyone singing the praises of Halo 3 as a system seller, I think it's hard to over look how much larger GTA is and what it would mean to push consoles this holiday season.

Read my updated comments .

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Should I rename this thread to make it more easily identifiable as the GTAIV thread?

No, then the first posts wouldn't make sense.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2007, 12:57:18 PM »

Read my updated comments .

The answer is the same. The market leader, at this point, appears to be posed to be the Wii. Had GTA been released on all three, it would have been a non-factor in terms of console sales, but with the Wii missing it, and Halo 3 as a possible "side kick killer ap", Microsoft had the potential to move a lot of units this holiday season to stave off the Wii. That power has been greatly diminished now with GTA moved to 2008.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
Well going into the Holiday season I think Wii will be the obvious winner.

With that said, MS still has Halo 3 and while it may be lacking GTA IV for the holiday, you have to figure that Wii will be near impossible to get for the holidays. What's the alternative?

For players, PS3 really has absolutely nothing to offer for the holidays. Xbox will have Halo 3 and some other decent games coming out and with a smaller price point than the PS3 will probably default as the second system to get for the holidays (or even a back up system).

Not to say the lack of GTA will not hurt Xbox sales but I think out of all systems it's just another nail in the coffin for PS3.

Edit: To further this, PS3 will just have more issues with convincing developers to make games for their system as their share of the market keeps slipping away. As we go into 2008 Wii will pull away as the clear number one system and Sony will probably be left playing catch up for the rest of this gen.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
Re: Rockstar has a new game called IV
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2008, 01:10:30 AM »
So is anyone picking up GTA4 besides me?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:33 AM »
I think about two million other people are going to pick up the game.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »
I would if I had a 360.  But I don't. haha
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.