Author Topic: Rockstar has a new game called IV  (Read 56637 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Rockstar has a new game called IV
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 05:37:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan

No one mentioned it because it's a pretty stupid quote in the context...I mean...He says he used to kill people, and "maybe this time it'll be different"? Uh, this is Grand Theft Auto, so just how does that work? Unless they are pulling a film-type cliche, where a character says he hopes something doesn't come and the viewer already knows it's there...

You misunderstood me. I said the opening minute of the trailer is a direct quote, as in the images and music prior to when the character begins to speak.

That is what I seen in the trailer, the GTA has zero artistic value in its visuals.

We're not watching the same trailer, then.

It looked like a replica of New York, that is not artistic that is called copying real world landmarks and buildings. Tell me what this oh so great artistic direction in the GTA series is, that competes with games like Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Zelda:TP and Killer 7 when it comes to artistic value.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
Art style doesn't exist only in broad strokes like in Okami. (hahaha! Wot a pun!)

GTA: Vice City successfully recaptured the sunny seedy Miami vibe that they were going for. Liberty City, in the original GTA 3, was a run-down distopia with garbage blowing in the wind everywhere. And San Andreas wasn't real, but instead SURREAL, just like it's shockingly satirical radio talk shows and commercials. The gritty visuals and sometimes even less-than-clean graphics add to the entire thing even.

GTA never sells us reality, it's always selling us a CARICATURE of it.

Additionally, it exposes the juxtaposition of our urban environments. One moment you're driving through the inner city, the next you're going through some eerily plastic, walled, luxury residential neighborhood. Both are extremes, and their co-existence only serves to accentuate the odd uneasyness of that co-existence between privileged rich and those stuck in a cycle of crime and poverty outside those walls. And then there's the feeling of loneliness and isolation in a concrete jungle: no one is ever at skater parks for example, and pedestrians exist only to be gunned down. They all start looking the same after awhile.

ANNNDDDDD.... I may have pulled that all out of some bodily orifice. I hold no degrees in art or film, my education in both is only as an avid appreciator and attentive observer, and as a netflix addict. And I took a film 101 and Western Art History 101 class... But that's my opinion on it.

It's not just about pretty eye-candy art GoldenPhoenix. It's what the visual TELLS you about the game world, about its inhabitants, about its story, and about your relationship with it. That's what art direction is suppoed to do, and that's what I feel the GTA games have accomplished.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Rockstar has a new game called IV
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
Ehhh...Kairon, all that amounts to is that GTA is basically as real as they can manage with humour added. There's nothing interesting about their art direction at all. Vice City, for example, is as cliche and basic as you can get. It has nothing to do with Okami (which GP shouldn't have mentioned, as it's irrelevant). The entire series is totally unremarkable graphically and artistically.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 08:19:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Ehhh...Kairon, all that amounts to is that GTA is basically as real as they can manage with humour added. There's nothing interesting about their art direction at all. Vice City, for example, is as cliche and basic as you can get. It has nothing to do with Okami (which GP shouldn't have mentioned, as it's irrelevant). The entire series is totally unremarkable graphically and artistically.

Actually I used Okami to illustrate what art value is, it is something unique and cannot be found in the everyday world. GTA series lacks 0 art direction, the game is about creating a realistic city landscape, that is IT, does it mesh together? Sure it does, but that is not creative, in fact I would argue that any game that tries to replicate the real world in design is in fact the complete opposite of what art value truly means. Art value is something that is abstract, something that must be created from the mind that you cannot find in the real world. Heck even Gears of War has better art direction and value than the GTA direction, and that is quite sad. Then again GTA has basically been the same game since GTA3, being creative has not been in the series vocabulary whether it be visuals (which No More Heroes is at least atttempting) and I definately do not see it in this new one, which seems to be focused on replicating a real city. It isn't creative, perhaps it will be well designed, but creative or an abstract idea it is not.

The gritty visuals and sometimes even less-than-clean graphics add to the entire thing even.

Um wow, never thought I'd hear someone actually defend lazy programming as adding to the game. The game has a terrible framerate and used the same engine for every game after GTA3, then again I'm sure Rockstar was counting on people to defend them. Heck many N64 or PS1 games could be classics as well, there are some pretty poor visuals with some poorer framerates on both that definately add to them. Please do not defend lazy programming as adding to the charm, Rockstar got lazy with the GTA series, and did not refine the engine like they should of (But then again when people suck up everything they throw out as artistically amazing even when it has some severe technical problems, but hey they add to the game too. I really can't blame them for leaching off that mentality).

P.S. Maybe this is all an April fools joke in regards to the visuals being artistic, that is the only way it would make sense!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
It's not trying to be some fantasy game with flying unicorns. If they tried some fancy crap with "art" design it would SUCK. WHY would you want that?

Rockstar got lazy with the GTA series

LMAO. You have a point if you're talking about the crappy PSP ports, but nobody cares about those. When you have the most revolutionary, most popular game in the past decade, you're not gonna instantly do a 180 on all the people who are starting to fall in love with the game. It's not like they've been trying to fool us either, Vice City and San Andreas clearly aren't labelled "GTA4". They aren't just expansion packs either, San Andreas adds a TON, you can't even fly planes in GTA3, let alone parachute out of them onto highways. They refined the HELL out of it for San Andreas. Completely different areas, different story / setting, lots of added gameplay elements, the only thing that remains from GTA3 is the core gameplay design which is why both games have "Grand Theft Auto" in the title. There's no core gameplay difference in Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, World. Every Zelda game since Ocarina of Time has played EXACTLY the same. Nobody cares.

Calling the developers of the three of the biggest games in history (all released so close together on one system), lazy, is the DUMBEST thing i've ever heard in my entire life.

We've also barely even seen anything of GTA4.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
It's not trying to be some fantasy game with flying unicorns. If they tried some fancy crap with "art" design it would SUCK. WHY would you want that?

Rockstar got lazy with the GTA series

LMAO. You have a point if you're talking about the crappy PSP ports, but nobody cares about those. When you have the most revolutionary, most popular game in the past decade, you're not gonna instantly do a 180 on all the people who are starting to fall in love with the game. It's not like they've been trying to fool us either, Vice City and San Andreas clearly aren't labelled "GTA4". They aren't just expansion packs either, San Andreas adds a TON, you can't even fly planes in GTA3, let alone parachute out of them onto highways. They refined the HELL out of it for San Andreas. Completely different areas, different story / setting, lots of added gameplay elements, the only thing that remains from GTA3 is the core gameplay design which is why both games have "Grand Theft Auto" in the title. There's no core gameplay difference in Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, World. Every Zelda game since Ocarina of Time has played EXACTLY the same. Nobody cares.

Calling the developers of the three of the biggest games in history (all released so close together on one system), lazy, is the DUMBEST thing i've ever heard in my entire life.

We've also barely even seen anything of GTA4.

GTA the biggest game of the decade (someone is forgetting games that previously did the open ended environments, such as the Elder Scrolls series)? Um ok. Three biggest games of history? Whatever you want to believe. And Rockstar did get lazy, they have used the same engine for all 3 of the GTA games after GTA3, they made little to no attempt to iron out the visuals, and yes GTA Vice and San Andreas added more stuff, but that was it, they still felt like large expansion packs. Even the time difference between the 3 GTA series is a clear signal of how little they did to evolve the series, I'm sorry but SMB1 and 3 were distinct evolutions in the series, including gameplay mechanics.

The defense of artistic merit is ridiculous, the game tries to replicate a city that is not creative no matter what you want to believe (AT least No More Heroes is attempting to add some artistic style to the GTA realistic environment formula). You want to know why exactly the GTA series (particularly the first two, and soon GTA: SA) should not be deemed classics? It is because they have been outdated by GTA SA, there is little in the way of redeeming elements from GTA3 (Or GTA VC to a certain extent) that can hold up to the myriad of additions that the following GTA games had, they are the PERFECT example of cookie cutter sequels, with things added here and there to keep the drooling fanboys satisfied every year (Like yourself Mario) who defend it as the greatest group of games in history. Rockstar is not a diverse company, and it shows through the GTA series, yes they had one "genre changing" game but that is pretty much all they can suck off of, at least when it comes to anything of much quality. Are the games fun? Sure they are but it is a series that will be remembered more for the most recent addition rather than the previous ones, similar to the situation with Madden. When you get the next GTA, you don't feel compelled to play the previous one because it has less "stuff", like flying planes or perhaps a larger place to explore, you can definitely see this trend through the rapid price drops when a new GTA game comes out (Just like Madden).

I'm willing to go out on a limb and state that GTA4 will follow in this trend, but like Madden it may "axe" some of the features or additions that previous GTA games had since it is restarting again for a next generation console, and then we'll see the same lazy trend Rockstar did with the PS2 games, reuse the same engine with blemishes and all to spit out iterations every year (or close to every year) with larger cities, more vehicles and maybe some new stuff to do. On the flip side like the PS2 games, you will only really care about playing the most current rehash of the GTA series, because the previous ones don't have all the cool stuff. That is completely different from games like the Mario, Resident Evil, Zelda, Metroid or other games where the games themselves are complete enough and have their own soul, that you WANT to replay them even when a newer game comes out. But hey that is what happens when people keep supporting a game that is basically a yearly expansion pack (granted larger than most expansion packs), you start to lose that spark that makes games in a series distinct in presentation and soul, instead of "The newest edition is the best". But hey, I guess I'm a dummy for thinking Rockstar is lazy and is cashing in on the franchise refusing to put more work (Meaning more development time) into each addition to give it a distinct soul, or at the very refusing to refine a flawed graphic engine much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 12:15:01 AM »
Are you talking about art style or graphical technology GoldenPhoenix?

My previous points still stand because art direction is NOT limited to fantasy and it is NOT about technical prowess.

Art direction is about the juxtaposition of silent, light-colored, and clammed-up high-class residential districts that are surrounded by plaster walls and criminalized, run-down urban slums where gunfights break out every five minutes. It is about the constant garbage that is blowing around an inner city distopia, no matter where you turn or look. It is about the choice of dull colors that make up the world; even the most darkly hued of which lack any joy or spark. And it's about the empty bargain-bin shops, their bare walls, the mess of clothes on the floor and skeletal racks, their cheap particle board doors and mass-produced white paint.

Complain about frame rates all you want, but that's graphics engine guff. All of THESE things are choices made to invoke something in the player, and all of these things are art direction.

Just because a game is based in a realistic-esque modern day, doesn't mean that it isn't artistic. A game doesn't need fantasy elements, aliens, monsters, flight, or even bright colors to be artistic. The art direction in the GTA games is in the composition of the world, the modeling of the environment, and the effects they produce on the player. Sega loves those clean, anti-septic neo-tokyo cityscapes for their sonic games, and Activision wants their CoD guns, environs, and dialogue to strike us as authentic. Just like Blizzard's terrain design in their World of WarCraft MMORPG is so amazing because its been painstakingly handcrafted by Blizzard ARTISTS to give each zone its own unique feel, so too has GTA's world been constructed to convey themes and emotions to the player.

I mean... c'mon. Are you now going to tell us that Shenmue is artistically inept, visually bankrupt, and creatively vacuous?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »
I mean... you claim that GTA has no art direction because it's referencing a real world city.

What about great portraits of real people? What about famous landscapes? What about the entirety of the renaissance?!?! Photography? Film?

GTA doesn't even do all that. GTA is a caricature of these cities and their stereotypes. It's a cultural and sociological magnifying glass. It's a lens.

And it isn't an attempt to recreate a city for the sake of realism. Not one bit. That game is called True Crime.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:52 AM »
Normally I would say who cares about R* or GTA, but since they are bringing it to Wii, I think its the best game ever!!!!

GTA IV for Wii

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 01:32:19 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

GTA the biggest game of the decade (someone is forgetting games that previously did the open ended environments, such as the Elder Scrolls series)? Um ok. Three biggest games of history? Whatever you want to believe. And Rockstar did get lazy, they have used the same engine for all 3 of the GTA games after GTA3, they made little to no attempt to iron out the visuals, and yes GTA Vice and San Andreas added more stuff, but that was it, they still felt like large expansion packs. Even the time difference between the 3 GTA series is a clear signal of how little they did to evolve the series, I'm sorry but SMB1 and 3 were distinct evolutions in the series, including gameplay mechanics.

... What? GTA SA was about ten times bigger than GTA 3, with zero loading times between areas unlike GTA 3. The frame rate was a lot more stable, there were MANY more things happening on screen, pedestrians had AI, they'd chase you down, beat you up, start a conversation with you. The draw distance was pushed back further, there were new weather effects mixed in, to say Rockstar were lazy is absolutely mind boggling. The missions? GTA 3's were all extremely basic, the whole 'fetch this and go deliver it here' type thing. GTA SA had missions that put other games to bloody shame with their depth. But I know NWR and the majority of Nintendo forums have some demented, pointless anger/fear about the series though, because they're successful, fun games that aren't on Nintendo, so I'm not going to get caught up in this mess anymore.

The defense of artistic merit is ridiculous, the game tries to replicate a city that is not creative no matter what you want to believe (AT least No More Heroes is attempting to add some artistic style to the GTA realistic environment formula).

Is it? They'd added the Killer 7 cel-shading to extremely basic looking environments. Wow! Better hang that in an art gallery.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »
The first time I played GTA was back before it made the big 3D jump. It was full of laughs and giggles. Considering I was 16 back then, everything was laughs and giggles. I never did complete the game back then as it had no holding power. You play it for a couple hours and you pretty much see all it had to offer.

Fastward a couple years and played GTA3. played around with it, but I just couldn't get in to it. The controls were rubbish. The driving was like riding a motorised obesed man in an ice rink on the moon. The combat didn't move a step up from the 2D versions.

Skip to GTA:SA. Now includes some pretty LOL cutscenes, but they were rare. Everything else was basicly montages of black guys being hard. The combat system now includes couch and driveby shootings that can't hit air if they tried. I am still fighting the controls and drive now no longer includes the ice rink, that feature is reserved for 2 wheels. The RPG/Life system of eating and running was tacked on and annoying as hell.

Of all those only the "2D" GTAs had any graphical nice as they merged the 2D and 3D elements effectively. Every 3D version was bland and talentless. Sure they had the right fashion period, but nothing in that world had any life in it. Grade A generic.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Complain about frame rates all you want, but that's graphics engine guff. All of THESE things are choices made to invoke something in the player, and all of these things are art direction.

Just because a game is based in a realistic-esque modern day, doesn't mean that it isn't artistic. A game doesn't need fantasy elements, aliens, monsters, flight, or even bright colors to be artistic. The art direction in the GTA games is in the composition of the world, the modeling of the environment, and the effects they produce on the player. Sega loves those clean, anti-septic neo-tokyo cityscapes for their sonic games, and Activision wants their CoD guns, environs, and dialogue to strike us as authentic. Just like Blizzard's terrain design in their World of WarCraft MMORPG is so amazing because its been painstakingly handcrafted by Blizzard ARTISTS to give each zone its own unique feel, so too has GTA's world been constructed to convey themes and emotions to the player.

I mean... c'mon. Are you now going to tell us that Shenmue is artistically inept, visually bankrupt, and creatively vacuous?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

So wait poor or inconsistent framerates are in the game to invoke something in the player (Perhaps, what an inept and outdated grahical engine the game uses?). Did they smooth out the framerate a bit? Yes it was but it still was big problem and the games visuals still looked outdated, that includes GTA SA as well, even people who love the game admit that. The reason for the outdated look isn't because of artistic design, but because Rockstar was reusing the same engine over and over again without putting much effort into substantially improving it.  Regardles  I wonder if anyone read what I said, I didn't say GTA was visually bankrupt (well it started to get to that point during SA) or not creative in other areas, but the graphical style it uses is NOT creative or artistic whatsoever (and I do think you are exagerrating a bit when it comes to that area, separating neighborhoods into different economic classes is not what I call brilliant, but just a way to add diversity to the game to make it seem like a city), fine it may convey emotions but that does not make it an artistic gem, well put together, perhaps, artistic no. If you want my personal opinion I think that anything is basically copying or using a model (such as a painting) is not something to be praised for its brilliant artistic merit, on the other hand abstract artists should be because they are creating something NEW and symbolic. (BTW I don't think Shenmue is an artistically brilliant game either, well designed? Yes. Creative in other areas? Yes. But the visuals aren't what I would call artistic.).

... What? GTA SA was about ten times bigger than GTA 3, with zero loading times between areas unlike GTA 3. The frame rate was a lot more stable, there were MANY more things happening on screen, pedestrians had AI, they'd chase you down, beat you up, start a conversation with you. The draw distance was pushed back further, there were new weather effects mixed in, to say Rockstar were lazy is absolutely mind boggling. The missions? GTA 3's were all extremely basic, the whole 'fetch this and go deliver it here' type thing. GTA SA had missions that put other games to bloody shame with their depth. But I know NWR and the majority of Nintendo forums have some demented, pointless anger/fear about the series though, because they're successful, fun games that aren't on Nintendo, so I'm not going to get caught up in this mess anymore.

Gee I would hope GTA SA was 10 times bigger than GTA 3 (well take out the overly long country side and it isn't nearly that much) it came out 3 years after it. Heck you even look at the Madden series and a 3 year gap tends to show some significant changes as well. Regardless of what changes SA had in the way of visuals it still was using an aging engine that was created back in 2001, and even fanboys agree it was starting to show its age big time (besides for some odd reason people here). And I do like how people conveniently overlook the fact that it is the NEWER GTA game that people care about when it comes to what will be remembered and replayed, that is lazy design, plain and simple. I'm sorry it is, they just took basically the same game (same engine and all) and expanded on it each year. That is not GTA hate, that is just how it is, and is common sense when you consider each game in the series had around 1 year development time, because that is what you ALWAYS face when you do a yearly edition.

Also I'm not sure where you got I "hate" the game, I'm being realistic and not some blind fanboi that sucks down everything Rockstar gives as "brilliant". The GTA series is a fun series, in fact I own every single game since GTA3, but each game feels more like a glorified expansion pack then something new or unique. When I get GTA4 (which I will) I doubt I'll ever feel like going back to the old ones, unless of course they gimp many of the additions to the series because of the new engine. Hey at least then they can release GTA: Glorified Expansion Pack 1, 2, 3 and still garner praise from all the drooling fans as being the greatest game in history.  

To shift the subject a bit here is what I'd like to see improved in the GTA games:

1. Make driver, enemy, and pedestrian AI better. This has been a flaw in most "sandbox" games like GTA
2. Do not sacrifice a smooth (at least 30fps) framerate for purty visuals
3. Don't RUSH THE GAME OUT. Every GTA game on PS2 has a myriad of glitches, they could use much more polish even if it means delaying the game
4. Allow more buildings to be open for exploration
5. Better use of the enviroment. The GTA games are able to provide quality cities and landscapes, but Rockstar seems to have a problem with utilizing alot of that space (Take for example the long drive between cities in SA). Yeah the world may be expansive, but like so many games in the genre most of it feels uninteresting besides select spots.
6. Spread games out for 2 years or more each to be better able to polish the game engine and to make each game a distinct entity so you actually want to go back to an older game because it has an unique soul, instead of an outdated game because the new GTA Pseudo-Expansion pack does more than it.
7. Aiming needs to be improved, it still sucks pretty badly even after all 3 games (another example of an area that Rockstar ignored for the most part)
8. For heaven's sake, PLEASE get rid of the invisible barriers. That is a clear sign of a flaw in the level design when you can't creatively cover up the game's boundary line, and instead run (or swim) into an invisible wall.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 06:06:01 PM »

If you want my personal opinion I think that anything is basically copying or using a model (such as a painting) is not something to be praised for its brilliant artistic merit, on the other hand abstract artists should be because they are creating something NEW and symbolic.

I... I simply cannot respond to, nor fathom, such a response that flies in the face of Michaelangelo's (or Leonardo's) David, the sumptuous banquet still lifes of Flemish painters (btw, one of the movies I find extremely watchable is "Girl with a Pearl Earring" involving the Dutch master Johannes Vermeer) and indeed, so much of renaissance art. It flies even in the face of the statue of liberty itself.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »

If you want my personal opinion I think that anything is basically copying or using a model (such as a painting) is not something to be praised for its brilliant artistic merit, on the other hand abstract artists should be because they are creating something NEW and symbolic.

I... I simply cannot respond to, nor fathom, such a response that flies in the face of Michaelangelo's (or Leonardo's) David, the sumptuous banquet still lifes of Flemish painters (btw, one of the movies I find extremely watchable is "Girl with a Pearl Earring" involving the Dutch master Johannes Vermeer) and indeed, so much of renaissance art. It flies even in the face of the statue of liberty itself.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Hate to break it to you but Statue of Liberty is an abstract creation, it wasn't based on a real woman model. Not to mention David was completely abstract because no one knew for sure what he looked like and that is ignoring the fact that it took alot of talent and creativity to create it out of stone. I am talking about painters who basically paint a portrait of what they are seeing, without adding anything abstract or symbolic, basically it is a glorified sketch artist or Xerox machine (And I think the team at Rockstar would fall under that category when it comes to the building and landscape design). Also nice job completely sidetracking the issues that I raised about the GTA games in addition to art direction. What I do find funny is you seemingly defend GTA by comparing it to renaissance art, which seems kind of humorus.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
I've bypassed a lot of your technical discussion because I simply don't disagree with you there. I willingly concede to all your complaints about frame rate and etc. I care about your classification of GTA as a game without art design, a game that's a photocopy of real life places with no creative thought in its arrangement, composition, hues, atmosphere, or effects on the player.

If you want to accuse True Crime of that, then we might be going somewhere. But GTA games are FAR from trying to recreate realistic examples of cities, they create caricatures of them: caricatures that are seen through interpretive lenses the same way that an artist doing a grotesque portrait views their subject. The fact is that you can't escape that subjective, perceptive, interpretive lens when you're making a game, especially a game as satirical, culturally-and-socially-reflective, and controversial as GTA. You don't think that Liberty city is an abstract creation. I ask you: what could be more abstract than a sense of "New Yorkness."

I don't think that the world of GTA was created by rote, I believe that to say so is a gross injustice to the people who worked on it and their vision. I believe it was hand-crafted in the same manner as Blizzard hand-crafted their world in WoW to control player flow, experience, and environment. Of course, Blizzard probably did a better job, but still.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »

I've bypassed a lot of your technical discussion because I simply don't disagree with you there. I willingly concede to all your complaints about frame rate and etc. I care about your classification of GTA as a game without art design, a game that's a photocopy of real life places with no creative thought in its arrangement, composition, hues, atmosphere, or effects on the player.

If you want to accuse True Crime of that, then we might be going somewhere. But GTA games are FAR from trying to recreate realistic examples of cities, they create caricatures of them: caricatures that are seen through interpretive lenses the same way that an artist doing a grotesque portrait views their subject. The fact is that you can't escape that subjective, perceptive, interpretive lens when you're making a game, especially a game as satirical, culturally-and-socially-reflective, and controversial as GTA. You don't think that Liberty city is an abstract creation. I ask you: what could be more abstract than a sense of "New Yorkness."

I don't think that the world of GTA was created by rote, I believe that to say so is a gross injustice to the people who worked on it and their vision. I believe it was hand-crafted in the same manner as Blizzard hand-crafted their world in WoW to control player flow, experience, and environment. Of course, Blizzard probably did a better job, but still.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I believe we are slipping up when it comes to design vs artistic merit. THe GTA games are fairly well designed for the most part, and the building of the city itself is well crafted (for the most part, it still has the problem of an ever growing expansion of empty space that takes forever to bypass). For the sake of this argument, will you agree with the following statement:

The LOOK of GTAs buildings, or enviroment (meaning the landscape, not how it is put together) are not what would be considered artisically creative (Or wholly unique creations), but are based closely upon real world examples. But the design of the game itself is creative when it comes to placement and design of the city? Would that work for you Kairon?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
SOME GILDED ARIZONA CITY HAS TRAINWRECK MY INTRAVENOUS FLUID TOPIC!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
SOME GILDED ARIZONA CITY HAS TRAINWRECK MY INTRAVENOUS FLUID TOPIC!

Well serves you right for bringing up a series that has started to become the Madden of go anywhere, crime games!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 08:00:10 PM »

I believe we are slipping up when it comes to design vs artistic merit. THe GTA games are fairly well designed for the most part, and the building of the city itself is well crafted (for the most part, it still has the problem of an ever growing expansion of empty space that takes forever to bypass). For the sake of this argument, will you agree with the following statement:

The LOOK of GTAs buildings, or enviroment (meaning the landscape, not how it is put together) are not what would be considered artisically creative (Or wholly unique creations), but are based closely upon real world examples. But the design of the game itself is creative when it comes to placement and design of the city? Would that work for you Kairon?

Wheee! Late night arguments!

As long as that's considered art direction I'm fine with it. But seriously, GTA 3 has garbage just blowing in the wind when you're in the inner city... I personally think that the GTA has more art direction than merely its city planning... but maybe that'll have to be a point of personal opinion-based disagreement? That shouldn't be too hard to swallow. After all, I AM the Nintendo fanboi who's defended such non-Nintendo games as Halo (for which I referenced the anime Grave of the Fireflies to defend, no less!) and Little Big Planet.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 09:24:57 PM »
It's not that GTA has no art direction, it's that it has crappy, unimaginative art direction. When blowing trash is your best example of art direction you ain't got nothing.

And HALO is extremely overrated. Grave of the Fireflies is not.

Actually, HALO's story = GTA's art direction. It's there, yes, but it's totally irrelevant and adds nothing to the game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
As American Beauty showed us, sometimes blowing trash is all you need.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 11:31:53 PM »
That scene was never about the plastic bag itself. It was about the moment. The moment of complete happiness. That video merely reminded that charater of that. Something he wanted to go back to.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 06:41:27 AM »
I'll throw my 2¢ into this...

I'm glad I waited to play Godfather for the Wii controls. Frankly, I don't think I could ever play another sandbox crime game. It's similar to Pokemon: I played one game to see what all the fuss was about and that was it. I never need to do it again.

I don't see what GTA could add to the formula to make it fresh and interesting again, or worth buying another game.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »
Yeah, to be honest, I played maybe like 10 hours total of all the GTA series, and now would MUCH RATHER watch someone else play it than mess with it myself. One thing that's ALWAYS irked me about the series is how uncontrollable it is, absolutely horrendous feelings shiver through my Nintendo-blessed game control hands.

And it's true:p the sandbox genre seems to be half-formed... like its waiting for someone to come in and finish the equation, fill in the missing parts of its soul, and almost re-invent the genre to save it... Heck, most sandbox games could actually learn from oldies but goodies (and not exactly sandbox...) like New Horizons, Tail of the Sun, Oregon Trail and Privateer.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com