Author Topic: Some of your favorite Xbox and PS2 games  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Some of your favorite Xbox and PS2 games
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
I'm not really biting into any "next gen" games yet, mainly because i only have a wii, and am only intrested in zelda so far

Anyway, i was wondering what are some of you favorites for the xbox and ps2, i don't have many games for either system and think that some suggestions from the forum might lead me to find something i might like and pick up. (I pretty much have all i want for GC

No need to mention halo, ninja gaiden, otogi, panzer dragoon orta, and stranger's wrath (i have them)
On the ps2 side i have DMC3, MGS3, Shadow of the colossus, and okami (i should mention i'm going to get god hand)

So yeah, i'd like to hear what some of your favorites/recomendations are. I also hear good things about psychonauts, anyone here confirm/object?  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Some of your favorite Xbox and PS2 games
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »
PS2-Silent Hill series, Mister Mosquito (hey I enjoyed that game), Jak and Daxter (one of my favorite platformers, never did care much for the later games though), Bully, God of War. For Xbox I mainly used it for sports games but other than those I had favorites such as KOTOR, and Shenmue 2
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Some of your favorite Xbox and PS2 games
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:34 PM »
Psychonauts is a pretty good jump and run, it's very creative and has some really fun levels. The downside is that some other levels (most notably the final stage) are made of all kinds of PHAIL and frustration. And get the XBox or PC version if you can, the load times on the PS2 are horrible.

If you're going to import stuff Melty Blood and Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81: The Chikyuu Boueigun 2 are must-buys.

For horror you should get Project Zero. I haven't played any other horror games (though I have played self-proclaimed horror games like FEAR that aren't really horror) so I can't make much of a comparison.

Shinobi or Kunoichi (Nightshade) are pretty cool action games.

Disgaea is pretty funny but you need to grind a bit (~4 grind levels : 1 story level) to keep your levels up.

We Katamari is a nice game.

Rygar is pretty fun, too.

I hear God of War is a good game.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:06:32 AM »
I still pay a lot of Beatmania, Resident Evil Outbreak, and Street Fighter games. Gran Turismo 4, too. And maybe also Hitman and Manhunt.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:49:17 AM »
Lets see...

Xbox:

Alias (I found it to be alot of fun)
Beyond Good & Evil (If you haven't played it on the GameCube)
Burnout 3: Takedown
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Its a fun simple Volleyball/dating sim game)
Destroy All Humans
Destroy All Humans 2
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly - Director's Cut (Best Horror game in my mind)
i-Ninja (If you haven't played it on the GameCube)
Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb
King of Fighters 2002 & 2003
Kung Fu Chaos
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4 & 5
Otogi - Myth of Demons
Phantom Dust
Psychonauts
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 4
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic ( I wasn't a fan, but others seem to love it)
Star Wars Republic Commando
Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel without a Pulse
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Legend (If you haven't played it on the GameCube)

PS2:
.hack// (Only if you can find all 4 games for cheap)
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2
Final Fantasy X / X-2 (A must play if you own a PS2)
Final Fantasy XII
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Jak & Daxter
Jak 2
Jak 3
King Of Fighters 2000/2001
La Pucelle: Tactics
Mister Mosquito
Nightshade
Oni
Phantom Brave
Radiata Stories
Sega Genesis Collection
Shadow of Destiny
Silent Hill 3
Soul Calibur III
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:18:45 AM »
Personally I wouldn't recommend FFX, the battle system is too repetitive to be fun (most enemies can be one-hit-killed by exactly one character so you constantly match characters to enemies and every battle is the same).

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »
If you can get past the hate people have for them, Fable and Deus Ex 2 are really great games.  They failed to meet the extremely high expectations placed on them, but they both stand on their own (albeit with some problems).  They were, in all honesty, two of my favorite Xbox games.

Other off-the-beaten-track stuff:
Second Sight
Project Snowblind
Call of Cthulu

Seconding:
Silent Hill 2
Psychonauts
KOTOR

And the other classics that no one mentioned:
Jade Empire
Chronicles of Riddick

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:02:11 AM »
Fanatavision... Is also amusing...Theirs a game that would be fun with the Wiimote or HD graphics.

Monster Rancher 2, 3, and 4.
Though Surprisingly enough 3 is my favorite of the PS2 ones even though 4 is more traditional.

Plus I'm a big fan of all the DDR's.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »
I guess i should have specified my tastes alittle better.

Thanks for all the mentioned titles, but as far as rpg's go, i usually dislike them unless they do something different. So while disgaea maybe be a good tactics rpg, it really doesn't do anything thats truly different from ogre tactics or ff tactics (in my opinion), and i hate the level grind, I mean i REALLY hate to level grind, it pisses me off to no end. SO thanks for mentioning some good rpg's but, if you can tell my why their different from other rpgs I'd be more intrested, I have no problem replay old games alot, in fact i prefer it, so thats why i insist on rpg's to be different

I also hate everything star wars, unless its jedi outcast, but thats becuase that game is like no other FPS i ever played before

KDR: i how does Katamari play, i can't imagine rolling a ball of stuff around to be much fun, but then again i could be wrong

I've played shinobi, but i think ninga gaiden is better

I'd also like to hear from some one whose played god of war and Devil may cry 3, to tell me how God of War stacks up in the genre of action games.

Capamerica: How was Phantom Dust? It looked intresting but i read the single player sucks, and the multiplayer is where its at, but i doubt i'd see many poeple on live playing this game

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »
God of War is not as enjoyable as DMC or Ninja Gaiden, from purely an action perspective. It's more of an adventure game then those two titles though. Everything in God of War is so over the top, so extravagant and so epic, it's hard not to like it.

Here, read this.  

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »
If uniqueness is your main driver, then I really think you'll like Deus Ex 2.  It's not really an FPS and not really an RPG... but its best quality is how organic it is.  

Say you have a character and you've been concentrating on being able to hack, and you're kind of weak in the up front fight department.  You walk into a room guarded by 6 guys and a giant mech.  You can either engage them in an up front fight, sneak into the ducts and avoid them completely, or, utilizing your skills, hack the mech and blow up all the guards before self-destructing the mech.  You have lots of little freedoms like that in the game.  It's not as emergent as advertised but it's pretty damn cool anyway.

I can't think of any game that's given me that experience (other than its sister game Project Snowblind, and its predecessor) but it's a fantastic experience.  Ignore the haters, they're usually suffering from PC bias (Deus Ex 2 is very console-ized, so it alienated all the PC gamers).