Author Topic: Nights is being revived on Wii  (Read 46133 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: NuGHTS is being revived on Wii
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2007, 02:19:33 AM »
If this comes put, using the cursor bar and making a line is the only means to really make the game fluid.  You can have a small star path appear to help you know where you are flying.  Twisting the remote could allow the player to spin on screen.  This could be used for a king of attack while moving through the rings.

Quickly jabbing the controller forward can allow for speed boost, which could also be an attack.  Speed boosts can can done two ways.  Just pushing forward would make the character dart in a straight line.  Holding B or A and jabbing forward would allow for the speed boost to continue following the path you have drawn for flight.  

Offline the1st_fret

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:NuGHTS is being revived on Wii
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2007, 02:33:41 AM »
No, Yuji Naka and his new development team called "Prope" will be working on NiGHTS 2. It'll have nothing to do with Sonic Team.

And I believe NiGHTS 2 will be controlled by holding the Wii remote in a horizontal position, just like excite truck. So it won't need the pointer. But who knows. Perhaps there'll be moments in the game when it does.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »

Originally posted by: the1st_fret
No, Yuji Naka and his new development team called "Prope" will be working on NiGHTS 2. It'll have nothing to do with Sonic Team.

And I believe NiGHTS 2 will be controlled by holding the Wii remote in a horizontal position, just like excite truck. So it won't need the pointer. But who knows. Perhaps there'll be moments in the game when it does.
You say this with such confidence, is there something you know that we don't? Do you have a friend that has a friend that woks @ Sega or something?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2007, 05:38:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
If this comes put, using the cursor bar and making a line is the only means to really make the game fluid.  You can have a small star path appear to help you know where you are flying.  Twisting the remote could allow the player to spin on screen.  This could be used for a king of attack while moving through the rings.

Quickly jabbing the controller forward can allow for speed boost, which could also be an attack.  Speed boosts can can done two ways.  Just pushing forward would make the character dart in a straight line.  Holding B or A and jabbing forward would allow for the speed boost to continue following the path you have drawn for flight.

If those are the controls I won't touch the game with a ten foot pole.  So far anygame that has you twist the Wiimote I have not enjoyed those portions, RRR, Trauma Center, and WiiPlay, with Super Monkey Ball being the exception.  Also "jabbing forward"  is not precise enough and doesn't always register for me, RRR, Trauma Center, WiiPlay, Sonic and the Hardcore Onion Ring, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2007, 05:57:49 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

You say this with such confidence, is there something you know that we don't? Do you have a friend that has a friend that woks @ Sega or something?

I was thinking the exact, same thing too.

Maybe he got the info from an old interview?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2007, 05:58:06 AM »
You could do the just a quick twist back and forth,  more like Excite Trucks twisting...but more tuned.

That was just my first attempt on thinking about controls for the game.  

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2007, 07:47:56 AM »
No, sorry, I don't work for SEGA. Believe me, if I did i'd be taking in all you guys are saying coz i'm with you all on what you've been saying.

I agree they've really gone down since the Dreamcast, their drive was meant to be a great software company. I thought this meant all systems getting hits like Power Stone, Shemue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio Y'know, as if they were to continue living as if they had a console and delivering the same awesome and unbeatable game quality, but through other companies. Like they did as they were making Dreamcast ports. Sadly this wasn't the case.

Ok, the reason why I think NiGHTS will be controlled horizontally, is because also in the ONM (Official Nintendo Mag) There is a small piece saying Chandra (Editor) Just got back from Japan and had a test of a secret game that will blow your socks, shoes, and trouser legs off! It then shows him holding the Wii remote Horizontally. Ok, so its not a pic of him there actually testing the game, but it is a picture he has put with that little bit of info. Possibly more secret insight, as its in the same issue as the 'Next issue' NiGHTS star constilation, can you blame me?

I just put this together with the hype that the 'Next issue' page was getting and it seems to make sence. Also holding the Wiimote sideways bares more resemblance to the Saturn NiGHTS controls. Also in the pic Chandra is tilting the controller, you couldn't really do this holding it like a remote, I feel stunts that way (remote) would be a pain in the butt, and a strain on the wrist! Since NiGHTS is all about the stunts!

Imagine the possibilities, controlling NiGHTS the way it was on the Saturn. But with the added feature of tilt for stunts.

For anyone who hasn't played NiGHTS, there were times in the game when the camera suddenly switched behind NiGHTS or went above NiGHTS into a top down view in some stages. I think that using tilt would be a very interesting way to control moments like these.

The more I think about it, the original NiGHTS could have made great use of tilt and motions sensing. Like steering NiGHTS as the camera follows NiGHTS in his sled formation in the 'Frozen Bell' stage.

I could go on. But I just feel from putting my own little ONM theory together there on the controls, there are infinite possibilities on what the game and its mechanisms are capable of.

I should point out it helps if you've played NiGHTS to know what I'm talking about. I'm a huge NiGHTS fan so sorry if I rambled. And I know I said 'NiGHTS' alot but I didn't want to get into the whole gender debate!

Again, apologies if I had anyone beliving I worked for 'Sega', 'Sonic Team', or 'Prope' It was in no way an attempt to draw attention to myself. I just wanted to get my little theory out there since everyone was talking about the controls.

I think I might have to go set up my Saturn again pretty soon

Dan.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
NGamer magazine's next month preview has a picture of a planet, suggesting that it's a hint. It's Final Fantasy VII. Suck it.

See, theories are easy to make up. People like to throw around names like NiGHTS, but likely, it's either nothing, something stupid, or a game we know is coming like Super Mario Galaxy. Maybe they got to play it. Whatever. I hate when magazines do sh*t like that. What the hell is the point of hyping up news for 5 weeks in the future? Shut up. All anyone has to do is wait a few weeks, look at the cover and decide whether to buy it or better yet, loiter at Barnes & Noble and read it for free. If anyone is even lazier, they can wait 10 minutes after it reaches a newstand and read about it online.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
If this isn't to be, it's my final confirmation that delivered paper game magazines will fall by the wayside sooner than later.  

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »
Got that off my chest time to edit, thanks for watching have a nice day.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
'Tis true. Sega does get more hate than it deserves 'round here.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
I had a great deal of fun with SR.

'Twasn't perfect, but it's infinitely better than any of their recent offerings.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2007, 04:21:56 AM »
Well its not like ONM went out of their way to build this hype. Look at what Chandra said.

Magazines do this next to every issue. Its no big deal. But it is quite a coincidence that the front cover of NiGHTS into dreams fits it so perfectly.

Something did just strike me however.... in ONM it does say

"Step back in time as a classic game makes a long overdue return"

I never though of it this way. But could this be the Graphical remake that Yuji Naka used to speak of. When asked about NiGHTS sequels he did used to say he'd never be able to improve on the game, or just didn't want to disturb the game with a sequel since it was such a masterpiece.

There's something to think about.

Yes, this game that we're talking about could be anything.... but since this is a NiGHTS topic, i'm sticking with NiGHTS

Dan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2007, 05:34:22 AM »
Do you have a friend that knows someone that works at ONM magazine?

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2007, 05:36:02 AM »
A graphical upgrade would be fine, or just releasing it on VC would be ok too. A sequel wouldn't be as magical as the first. BUt if they could improve the graophics then it would ROCK, what made MiGHTS so great was the style it had. It was like really being in a dream, and being obsessed with dreams, I loved it for that.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2007, 07:20:05 AM »
lol Again, no. Sorry, guys. I have no friends in the industry or at ONM. All i've said here lately are my own little theories. I really do wish I did though, that'd be so cool.

Also, if I did have friends in places like SEGA etc, and I was revealing stuff early on the forums, I think i'd be in alot of trouble right now lol

It just so happens I'm a big NiGHTS fan so I guess that helps. And I'm a SEGA fan from when they were great back in the day. All the control speak so far about NiGHTS 2 has been wishful thinking lol

The Wii remote is a very versatile control unit. I can see NiGHTS 2 making great uses of it that no one would have ever imagined possible. That is, if this is NiGHTS 2 on the way. However, if NiGHTS on Wii is a remake, it could still make use of the Wiimote in new ways.

Also I'm very happy people have come with me on the Horizontal controls idea. I just think it'd make much more sence than using the remote/pointer style and I can't imagine that working in NiGHTS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2007, 05:36:17 AM »

No, Yuji Naka and his new development team called "Prope" will be working on NiGHTS 2. It'll have nothing to do with Sonic Team

Yuji Naka begs to differ...

"At present, I have no such intentions.” - Yuji Naka

Of course, Naka could be lying for the sake of surprise, but sounds legit.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2007, 05:44:54 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
'Tis true. Sega does get more hate than it deserves 'round here.

Bull crap.  It is impossible to hate them too much.  After StH 360, and Shadow, I'm pretty sure acts of violence could be justified.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »
Don't hate on Beach Spikers.  Ever.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2007, 01:59:11 AM »
I sometimes talk with a guy who owns a games shop. And he's told me today that it is in fact NiGHTS 2. A whole new outing, not a remake or NiGHTS coming to VC. Naka will have being keeping it secret by the looks of things. It'll only be a matter of time now 'til we get some news online.

So I guess the only thing to discuss now is what to expect from NiGHTS 2? I mean we know its gonna be great, Naka's said all along it would take a very long time for him to make a seqel to such a great game so he could "Get it right" which is why we've only just heard of it. Who knows how long he's been working on NiGHTS 2. I doubt he's been doing nothing since he left Sonic team.

I wonder if NiGHTS 2 will make use of the clock settings like 'Christmas NiGHTS' did and I hope that NiGHTS 2 makes great use of Wiiconnect24.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
"what to expect from NiGHTS 2?"

Smash, pap, goldenphoenix, pittboi, and myself will be in a pentagonal argument about the game's quality and control scheme.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2007, 07:38:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
"what to expect from NiGHTS 2?"

Smash, pap, goldenphoenix, pittboi, and myself will be in a pentagonal argument about the game's quality and control scheme.

Wow! That's accurate! Can't wait till it happens!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »

I wonder if NiGHTS 2 will make use of the clock settings like 'Christmas NiGHTS' did

NiGHTS also used the system clock in what i think is the best use of an internal clock in a game, the clock when the view goes overhead(forgot the stage). It's been so long since i played it. If this turns out true i gotta inform my sis'

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »
Oh yes, thats right. One of the stages had a clock face on the ground and the time was correct. I think it was Splash Garden but i'm not sure. It was only Splash Garden and Mystic Forest that had top down views, although I feel i'm forgettin one.

On the subject of controls, I wouldn't be too worried. The controls in NiGHTS were very basic. It shouldn't be too much trouble putting them on Wii. Here's what I have in mind (Holding Wiimote Horizontally of course)

D-Pad: Same as Saturn, control NiGHTS direction and movement

1 or 2: Drill

Tilting the controller left would perform NiGHTS 'left trigger' stunt while tilting it right would perform NiGHTS 'right trigger' stunt. Again, just like on the saturn but instead of pressing a shoulder button you tilt the controller. You can also tilt the controller foreward and back, which would emulate another 2 stunt shoulder buttons which means twice as many stunts

A quick jolt with the controller could cause NiGHTS to stall. I never used that apart from when fighting Gillwing lol.

I just made these up in my head and with Saturn's NiGHTS in mind. I think i'll pick up a Wiimote and see what I come up with later.

Offline Innotech

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2007, 12:59:29 PM »
another VERY telling sign of a new Nights game is found here:

http://www.nightsintodreams.com

Trippy has always been a huge nights fan and has kept her almost frighteningly complete fandom up until this point.  she has taken care not to incite rumors and has pointed out hoaxes (like she pointed out the Xbox360 Nights 2 hoax) and false reports. But now she is confirming that there is definitely a Nights 2 in progress. She has the largest Nights into Dreams fansite on the net, and a crazy amount of information on the original game.  Im inclined to believe her. On top of all the rumors and hearsay, it makes her news post all that more believable.