Author Topic: Wii Post Lauch Discussion  (Read 2572 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Wii Post Lauch Discussion
« on: March 11, 2007, 04:58:16 AM »
Well, reading back over the gripefest that was the Seattle Post-Intelligencer topic (along with a few others), I'm wondering, what do we all think about Nintendo's decisions now?  Brilliant?  Crazy?  Stupid?  Just able to do it because SONY screwed up so bad?

1.) The Name: When Nintendo first announced that the Revolution had been officially changed to the "Wii", you could almost hear the entire nation of crazed internet fans screan and cry at this decision.  Some people were swearing off buying a Wii.  Others said it would doom Nintendo.

2.) The Price: $250?  Really?  Nintendo expected people to pay that?  It's just $50 less than an 360, after all. $40-$60 for extra controllers?

3.) The US Bundle: Packing in Wii Sports - and forcing forcing people to pay $30 more than the Japanese package for a game they might not want.  And only cone controller?  When the system comes with a multi-player game?

4.) Virtual Console pricing: $5 NES - $10 N64. Compared to the prices paid on Live!, not bad.  Compared to the prices not paid for ROMS, bad...

5.) The Launch Date: November 19th - two days after the PS3.  A Sunday.

So... what does everyone think now?  Were any of these decisions bad ones on Nintendo's part?  Was there something we overlooked that did turn out to be a bad decision?  Should I sell my Wii for a PS3?  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Post Lauch Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:15:28 AM »
I still think 250€ may be a bit much but then again the competition isn't even trying anymore.

VC game prices may be a bit much, points cards are 20€ and only buy 2-3 games depending on which ones you pick. I'd also have liked a price drop for retail games, 60€ is just plain too much and should have been reduced to 50€ baseline with 40€ for "cheap" games like Wario Ware and Kororinpa.

The launch was a clean four months before the PS3 and on a Friday. Sunday would be difficult as stores aren't allowed to be open on those.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Post Lauch Discussion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:18:17 AM »
1. I don't think the name helped any, but Nintendo has certainly overcome the name's stigma.

2. They are still selling out, so Nintendo was right about the price.

3. Wii Sports is in a large part responsible for the Wiis success. Haters wrong again

4. These seem to be selling like hotcakes as well

5. Launching right after the PS3 was brilliant. Ride the wave of hype to victory!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE: US Based Wii Post Lauch Discussion
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »
Fix'd.

Seriously, Non-US launches can be discussed - but my OP was clearly based on the US launch.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
RE:US Based Wii Post Lauch Discussion
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 05:28:33 AM »
Does anyone at all have trouble saying "Wii" when they walk into stores like some predicted they would? The more we learn about this market, the more we realize how little we actualy do know about its unpridictability.  The name, price, and everything else but motion control and the VC seemed to go against it. But as of right now, I would say the name defenitly helped spark interest.  Who would have thought the Wii would be doing so well, and selling out like crazy even this long after launch?!

As for VC games, I think the price is absolultely perfect! It's not just the games im paying for its the convenience of having them all there, with the same 2 controllers, and no busted old systems to worry about. I really don't see how any of you can look past that at all.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 05:35:03 AM »
Well, when the Wii had only been out for a month or two, you wouldn't believe the number of people who called it such things as the 'dubya-eye-eye', We-two, Why, etc... Most people who call asking if we have any instock now-a-days simply ask if we have any "Nintendo Wiis" or any of those new Nintendo systems...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 07:40:33 AM »
I am happy.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
1.) The Name:
Honestly, the name sounds good to me now. I had some doubts when they revealed it but in French, you cannot make any "bad" Wii jokes so it's all good, hehe.

2.) The Price:
I think the price is fine, even though it's more expensive in Europe (I don't care though, I bought a US Wii for 50 bucks cheaper!). It's too bad all companies now adjust their prices to $1.00 = 1 euro (right now, it's more $1.31 = 1 euro)

3.) The US Bundle:
Wii Sports included in the bundle was an awesome idea!! I'm sure it sold more systems that way.
A second Wiimote would have been nice but I guess it would have meant for Nintendo to up the price to 300 bucks probably. And that would have been a bad move when the standard 360 bundle is at that exact same price.

4.) Virtual Console pricing:
As a gamer and Nintendo fan, I like having original carts. So no VC games for me probably.
But the price thing is tricky: in a way, I think it's too expensive for what it is (a ROM basically) but for a casual gamer who'd like to enjoy oldies (but goodies!), I believe it's a good alternative to trying to find these games on Ebay or else (and much cheaper, unless you get just carts without box/instructions).
In my opinion, the most expensive games on the VC should be priced at $5.00, no more.

5.) The Launch Date:
Well, that was a great risk Nintendo took here! I mean, 2 days AFTER the PS3 launch, wow!!
I give them kudos for that.
Luckily and because of all Sony's missteps (price, bad line-up, etc...) and also because of all the hype, the launch was a great success!
It was also daring to release the system everywhere in the world within 1 month. Of course, there was a lot of shortage but I do think, in the end, that it paid off really well for Big N.

~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm glad they launched 2 days after the PS3 because I know in my case it made my wait much easier when it came to the Wii.

The VC prices.  Personally I have a hard time justifying SNES and Genesis games but, thats about it.  They haven't released an N64 game that I really want and don't have another or superior version of.

I'm glad they included a game.

On paper its very elegant but, took some getting use to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
1. Name still sucks, but it did its job in differentiating Nintendo from the competition.

2. Price for console was fine. Controllers are a bit high.

3. A second controller would have been a nice gesture, but not needed. Wii Sports was necessary to sell the concept and is responsible for the Wii's current status.

4. VC pricing = sodomy

5. Launch was fine. A good way to collect people who thought they might get a PS3 into the Wii camp...if they could find a Wii.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »
1. The name still sucks, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. It's a name. Who cares? It never should've been that big of a deal.

2. I felt like $250 was perhaps too much, but it's still not $600 and most people are willing to pay it. Controller prices are still out of contreeze.

3. Wii Sports pack-in was nice, but I still feel like an extra controller should've been in there, especilly since they're still a bit hard to find and it's March.

4. I'd be more inclined to buy VC games if they were cheaper. I'd be even more inclined to buy them if they had better and harder to find games. I don't need another Ocarina of Time. I loved the game, but no, I'd rather see Actraiser or something.

5. Should've launced earlier, but it makes no difference now. I'm more disheartened that neither Super mario Galaxy nor Metroid Prime 3 have release dates.