Author Topic: Fils-Aime owns Harrison  (Read 6798 times)

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Fils-Aime owns Harrison
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »

Waiting for the Miyamoto keynote to start, I’m sitting three rows from the front. Close enough to see Nintendo’s resident BMOC, Reggie Fils-Aime at the front of the crowd, working it with his trademark smile and good will. He poses for pictures, he signs Wiimotes, he presses the flesh with a good natured ease that would make even the most seasoned politician weep with envy.

“Kick his ass and take his name!” someone shouted from a few rows behind me.

“Who?” answered Reggie in mid-autograph.

“Phil Harrison, front row!” Sure enough, there was Phil Harrison, seated dead center, front row. Looks like he could show up on time for Nintendo’s keynote, but not Sony’s.

With a grin and a chuckle, Reggie replies, “Some would say we’ve already done that.”

Touchdown. The crowd goes wild.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/gdc_nintendos_k.html

LOL! Way to go Reggie!
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
RE: Fils-Aime owns Harrison
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
I love Reggie. I mean, the "Mii Too" comment from Nintendo was just a cheap shot (that some would argue isn't true). This is just we-are-better-than-you gold.
Thanks for listening.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
hilarous, i wonder why Harrison went to it anyways.  Maybe Nintendo and Sony had a bet, whoever sat in last place had to go to the others GDC keynote to be laughed at.

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 07:36:09 PM »
Eh, I dunno if that was really appropriate. What happened to the Nintendo that was above petty squabbles?

Not only that, but this was definitely the wrong venue for that type of comeback. I hate to say it, but Sony creamed Nintendo at the GDC.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:46:51 PM »
Wow, shutup. Petty? Reggie was having fun.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 07:51:57 PM »
LOL--I remember a time last gen when this board would get roused whenever MS and/or Sony was having this brand of fun at Nintendo's expense.

Eh, at the end of the day it was harmless so it's no big deal. I would just prefer Nintendo handle their success with the dignity and humility that they were respected for when they weren't on top, instead of becoming more comfortable taking pot shots at the competition.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »
That was pretty good natured. At worse a wide shot across the deck.

You got to remember Pittboi. GDC os not E3. It is not suppose to be a big press event. It is suppose to be a bunch of devs getting togeather to talk shop. It is true that this year with the down sizing of E3, more press events are in play at GDC, but it is not E3.

Also everyone keeps forgeting that Nintendo can't make any bitg annoucements due to the stock trade. they couldn't show up Sony with anything big even if they wanted to.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Well yeah, this is no E3, but this isn't an entirely closed off event. The media still has access, and in that sense it's still very much public. It's for that reason that Mr. Hecker just had to issue an apology.

I'm glad Nintendo is doing so well, but they can keep that cocksure attitude they're starting to adopt to themselves.

And I know Nintendo couldn't reveal anything big (though in my opinion I think they stretched that excuse), but that doesn't change the fact that Sony could, and did. It was a nice joke on Reggie's part, but it didn't reflect the realities of the GDC, where Sony--unfortunately--shined the brightest.  

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »
Oh no he di-in't just do that.
"wow."

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Fils-Aime owns Harrison
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:38:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Eh, I dunno if that was really appropriate. What happened to the Nintendo that was above petty squabbles.

Petty squabbles? Man, that was off-the-cuff and hilarious. It wasn't an interview and it wasn't speaking to the public.

Also, what did Reggie do with George Harrison's piecharts? I hope he consumed them so that they may never bore the universe again.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »

LOL--I remember a time last gen when this board would get roused whenever MS and/or Sony was having this brand of fun at Nintendo's expense.
And are the Sony/MS fans not reacting in a similar way though? 'Sony' jokes or slights against xbox's size, price, or reliability are not humbly received or tactfully responded to.

Eh, at the end of the day it was harmless so it's no big deal. I would just prefer Nintendo handle their success with the dignity and humility that they were respected for when they weren't on top, instead of becoming more comfortable taking pot shots at the competition.
Well, assuming you were Reggie, at that very moment, what would you have said? Is Nintendo not allowed to serve some amount of humble pie when they are besting Sony in sales on both markets? Had Sony shown the same overall dignity and humility with their success, i'd agree more with you. Now if comments like that start appearing in his public presentations or turn into anything more then a humble poke in the ribs, i'll agree with you.

As it stands though, I would say, ignoring what was said or acknowledging the statement but politely refusing to comment on it would have been worse given the situation.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »

Well yeah, this is no E3, but this isn't an entirely closed off event. The media still has access, and in that sense it's still very much public. It's for that reason that Mr. Hecker just had to issue an apology.
What Mr. Hecker said though was far more then just a humorous poke in the ribs or stating something thats true. There is a right way to rant and a wrong way to rant.

I'm glad Nintendo is doing so well, but they can keep that cocksure attitude they're starting to adopt to themselves.
"Cocksure?" Now that just sounds like you're bitter over something. If you are the anti-fanboy you claim to be, I hope you've been scorning Sony for all their "Cocksure" attitude in the past. From the short length that i've seen your posts, i've not seen much scorn for Sony's far more arrogant comments, of recent.

And I know Nintendo couldn't reveal anything big (though in my opinion I think they stretched that excuse), but that doesn't change the fact that Sony could, and did. It was a nice joke on Reggie's part, but it didn't reflect the realities of the GDC, where Sony--unfortunately--shined the brightest.
So Reggie isn't allowed to comment on the success they're having in sales vs PS3 (or 360, for that matter) because Sony had a good presentation the previous day? That's ridiculous.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 01:11:17 AM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas
"Cocksure?" Now that just sounds like you're bitter over something. If you are the anti-fanboy you claim to be, I hope you've been scorning Sony for all their "Cocksure" attitude in the past. From the short length that i've seen your posts, i've not seen much scorn for Sony's far more arrogant comments, of recent.

*all aboard the "F*ck you Pittbot" bandwagon  - this is pure garbage. Lift your game, troll.

And I know Nintendo couldn't reveal anything big (though in my opinion I think they stretched that excuse)
Oh yes, let us circumvent the law for the fanboys. Forget the fact that we'll post videos on the intertubes as soon as possible, its just that government law dictated that we're not allowed to talk out of our arse for this period of time.

Open your narrow minds, fanboys. There's a world outside the internet. The internet is purely an optional component of the universe at the moment.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »
It wasn't even really a pot shot. Reggie was responding to the crowd. He could have done worse. God knows Sony and Microsoft have (who seemingly go out of their way to trash the competition). He could have palmed Phil Harrison's face and pushed it away. Or Miyamoto could have crawled behind Harrison and have Reggie push him.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »
I haven't been following GDC, but how exactly did Sony creamed Nintendo? the HOME thing? seriously? also, isn't there going to be speeches by Aonuma and Koji Kondo? I'm really looking forward to those (not for any announcements obviously, but is the one and only Koji Kondo speaking, that alone is just awesome, and Aonuma rocks too).

This answer by Reggie was simply obvious, his first words to us were "I'm about kicking ass, I'm about taking names", thats his PR persona and he has to live up  to it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 03:39:08 AM »
He has no choice but to reply.  Otherwise, it'll ruin his image as a 'badass'.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 04:09:26 AM »
I'm sure that he was their because part of the whole reason to be at an event such as GDC are the Keynotes and Workshops.  Personally if I was going to GDC as a developer I feel so much better if the press wasn't there so I could truly shoot the breeze with my fellow developers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 04:18:08 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
but is the one and only Koji Kondo speaking, that alone is just awesome).

Wholeheartedly agreed.  That was all I was really concerned with initially.  

Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 05:57:32 AM »

Eh, I dunno if that was really appropriate. What happened to the Nintendo that was above petty squabbles?

Reggie didn't start this fight: he didn't see Phil Harrison and call his ass out or anything. Someone in the audience did, and he handled it tactfully, all things considered. Reggie kept his image while at the same time appeasing the crowd.

Besides, Phil Harrison and Reggie both make so much money that a bit of ribbing like this isn't going to hurt anyone. No matter how piss-poor Sony does, Phil still takes home a six-figure paycheck.

Trust me, he's not going to cry himself to sleep about it.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 06:18:28 AM »

No matter how piss-poor Sony does, Phil still takes home a six-figure paycheck.
Six?  It's probably closer to eight after by the time things are said and done.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 06:55:59 AM »
Well Nintendo's performance at GDC was greatly hampered by what they could, and could not talk about because of that ill timed stock move. (But then again it's only the second month of the year in Japan and it a little hard to get anything done the first month with all the New Year's holidays going on.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 07:05:16 AM »
the stock split timing was no coincedence. Its all part of this bet between Nintendo & Sony that I've been talking about. Nintendo was throwing Sony a bone so that they could possibly have one day of positive news. Nintendo probably said "Even if we don't announce anything new at GDC it still won't matter". Sony replied "Oh, yeah prove it" and wanting to have an excuse for not actually revealing anything Nintendo requested that their gov. sell all their shares shortly before GDC so that they were legally not allowed to talk. It was the perfect excuse and now we can't be mad at them.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »
I don't really get why nintendo's hands were tied at GDC because of the stock sale. What's the problem??
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
It's Japanese law.  No talky during selly.  That is all.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 09:28:44 AM »

Oh yes, let us circumvent the law for the fanboys. Forget the fact that we'll post videos on the intertubes as soon as possible, its just that government law dictated that we're not allowed to talk out of our arse for this period of time.

Oh please.

Here's my issue with that. If Miyamoto hadn't announced/shown ANYTHING, I wouldn't have thought they were stretching the excuse. But that's not the case. There was a new Galaxy trailer shown as well as a new channel announced. If it were entirely true that Nintendo couldn't, by law, announce anything due to their stock trade, why were they allowed to announce the little that they did? The fact that there was a new Galaxy trailer shown tells me that they were probably allowed to talk about projects that the public by and large already knew about, or announcements that were very minor (Mii Popularity channel). And if that's the case, where was Brawl footage? Metroid? Mario Party? Disaster? There were a ton of things that Nintendo could have introduced at the conference that would have made the crowd and press go absolutely bonkers without having to reveal new projects.

Now, if there was some sort of compromise with the Japanese government allowing them to show the little they did, that's one thing. But there's no confirmation this way or that way.