Author Topic: P.N. 03 & Soul Calibur 2 scores  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Luc

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
P.N. 03 & Soul Calibur 2 scores
« on: March 12, 2003, 05:26:23 AM »
Pretty depressing if you asked me...  Dorimaga states P.N.03 has a "weak story, poor controls,  interesting environments, and a great combo system.  I hope Capcom's other GCN titles don't score this low.

- P.N. 03 (GC, Capcom): 7 / 7 / 6 / 8 (Total 7,0)
- Soul Calibur II (Xbox - GC - PS2, Namco): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 (Total 8,6)

Offline Crazy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 05:38:31 AM »
Reviews are over rated.  If you like the game then play it.  If you don't, then don't play it.  That's what it all comes down to.  
Crazy...

Offline Luc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 05:49:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Crazy
Reviews are over rated.  If you like the game then play it.  If you don't, then don't play it.  That's what it all comes down to.

Reviews are generally not "overrated," they provide great input regarding the negative/positive issues of a game.  Personally, I like to judge a game after playing a demo. I take some of what a reviewer says to heart, but I don't base my purchases off of reviews.  Nevertheless, there is a majority of gamers that do base their purchases off of reviews.    

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 06:22:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Luc
Pretty depressing if you asked me...  Dorimaga states P.N.03 has a "weak story, poor controls,  interesting environments, and a great combo system.  I hope Capcom's other GCN titles don't score this low.

- P.N. 03 (GC, Capcom): 7 / 7 / 6 / 8 (Total 7,0)
- Soul Calibur II (Xbox - GC - PS2, Namco): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 (Total 8,6)

Product Number 3's rating is very disappointing. Remember that this review is based on the version currently available in Japan. Capcom might tweak the game based on these initial reviews for it's US debut later this year.

Soul Caliber's rating is a little lower than I had expected, but 8.6 is not all that bad.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 06:24:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Crazy

Neither game is available, so how can we play it? How do we know if we even like it?

I like many people rely on reviews and buzz from other gamers before I run out and spend my hard earned money on a new game. Sometimes you can't just believe all of the hype surrounding a game - you have to pay attention to reviews and your gaming peers for a comprehensive preview of what to expect.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 07:16:17 AM »
The SC2 score is believable considering it's not as different as the original.  Just updated graphics, more mission battles and a few new/exclusive characters.  But that's not a bad thing.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Still a good score and definitely a solid fighting game.

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 07:31:18 AM »
No offense to anyone, but what the hell is Dorimaga?

I just have to say that different magazines, sites, etc. rate games differently. For example IGN gave  Rayman 3 for GC an 8.9 out of 10, while GMR magazine gave it a 3 out of 10.  Just one review doesn't mean these games will officially suck OR be great. Wait until it comes out and play it for yourself. I still have faith in Shinji Mikami, and the super hot Vanessa Z. Schneider. So, if it does suck, buy the game for the same reason people bought Tomb Raider games after the first two.  
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 09:52:52 AM »

weak story, poor controls, interesting environments, and a great combo system.

thats exactly what i expected this game to be and it is why i never intended to get it.
Deftones own.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 10:02:24 AM »
From my understanding Dorimaga gave Metroid Prime a 7,8,8. So just because P.N. 03 got a low score doesn't mean it's a bad game. Reviews are helpful but they shouldn't be taken as the final word. If everyone took Dorimaga Metroid Prime's score seriously they would have missed out on a truly excellent game.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 10:32:46 AM »

Sometimes you can't just believe all of the hype surrounding a game - you have to pay attention to reviews and your gaming peers for a comprehensive preview of what to expect.

Did it ever occur to you that reviews are what create the hype?  Games in the 5.5 to 7.0 get the shaft because thats considered bad.  These are some of those middle-of-the-road games we will all miss because we let reviews guide our decision.  It isn't impossible to enjoy a game that your favorite site rated a 6.  Test drive all games yourself then read the reviews and see if you agree with them.  That will prevent your thoughts being 'shaped' by reviews. As far as PN3 and SC2, i'm not really surprised, but i'm importing them anyway.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 10:33:06 AM »
the most important thing is to never read only one review. read at least 4 or 5. and don't go by the numbers. read why they gave the game a good/bad review. this is how i do it and it never fails.

oh, and don't read a review from a "X-box lover" website. they always give gamecube games a hard time.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2003, 10:52:52 AM »
I'm not worried. I think it will still be a great game and get great reviews. This may just be the "black sheep" review. While most reviewers agreed that ED was a masterpeice, there are a few that made it out to be the most pathetic game ever and gave it terrible scores. While most reviewers gave SMS near-perfect scores there were a few like Gamespot that gave it surprisingly more modest scores. Same for Metroid Prime.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2003, 11:34:24 AM »
Ohh it wasnt Famitsu? Then it matters not quite frankly

Offline TheOnionMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

thats exactly what i expected this game to be and it is why i never intended to get it.

I completely agree with Icons by Size. I personally think the game didn't look all that great. I think Killer7 was very impressive looking on the other hand.  The idea of running around killing robots isn't exactly a new idea. Yes I do know Killer7 is about killing people and that's not new but it is very innovative since it is cel-shaded.  

I was very surprised about Soul Calibur 2's scores though. I  though it would of scored better than it did but I don't care since i have never heard of Dorimaga or whatever.
Some people are just goobers..

Offline SPhil64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2003, 02:33:10 PM »
I don't trust reviews very much.  Some game magazines are biased towards one console, and I'm not thinking of mags like Nintendo Power, and all other games for other consoles will score low for that reason.  And hopefully no one will kill me for saying this, but all the reviews I read for Eternal Darkness said it was great.  When I finally got the game I couldn't have been more disappointed.  So much for those "awesome" insanity effects.  I guess what I'm trying to say is take what you read with a grain of salt.
Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites. And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye. -me

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2003, 03:48:33 PM »
CAPBOMB! And im very dissapointed with Soul Calibers review, the original got 40/40. Ill wait for Famitsus score, i have way more respect for them them this magazine

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2003, 02:47:59 AM »
Dorimaga? Never heard of them. That being the case I don't know how to judge their reviews, but if they gave Metroid Prime a similar scores to PN03 then I don't think its a magazine that I need to be reading.

Darc Requiem  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2003, 04:56:03 AM »
Well, the latest IGN Mailbag gave PN03 a vague thumbs up. I really don't see why Capcom would make this a crappy game either. It's not like its a port or nothing. Anyways, I'll trust American reviews over Japans too nowadays. It seems like they've gotten a little to caught up in the "Kiddie" console thing. I mean, common, Metroid Prime is a great game, and I hate shooters, yet DMC2 sells well? Arrgh! This industry is starting to infuriate me.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2003, 09:58:07 AM »
Ouch! That's a pretty low score for PN03. I always had this kind of strange feeling that the game wasn't that good, I didn't liked DMC so maybe that's the reason but now seeing that score... Man it looks like the game isn't even worth renting, let's wait 'till it gets here.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2003, 06:17:15 PM »
remember all GC games so for which have been fighting games havnt really got in the 9-10 area
most magazines punish the score because of the control set up.
im sure the xbox and ps2 version wll get higher scores in most of the mags, just cause of the gaint (a) button

Offline Mexicanese

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2003, 06:18:51 PM »

I don't trust reviews very much. Some game magazines are biased towards one console, and I'm not thinking of mags like Nintendo Power, and all other games for other consoles will score low for that reason. And hopefully no one will kill me for saying this, but all the reviews I read for Eternal Darkness said it was great. When I finally got the game I couldn't have been more disappointed. So much for those "awesome" insanity effects. I guess what I'm trying to say is take what you read with a grain of salt.

I don't think you "read" the reviews.  In any good review they would've said ED is not for everyone.