Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 665431 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 11:04:01 AM »
Did you miss the part where they borrowed $700 million?

Do you have an idea how large Sony's credit limit is? They could operate on that kind of loss for decades.

Also, Sony's stock is listed as either a "sell" or "strong sell" by most companies

Hm, ok, from what I hear hey usually just say "hold" until the company is two days away from bankrupcy.

It's a well known fact that the only remaining division of Sony which is profitable is the Playstation division.

Nope, the music division is profitable and the movie division is probably only unprofitable because of the "creative accounting" that happens in the movie industry (a movie never breaks even. Never.).

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
Looking at how long Sega managed to operate without a successful console, I think Sony will be fine even if PS3 is a huge bomb.  The question is will it be able to recover?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
I think what S_B ment to say is that the Entertainment division is the only profitable area of Sony. Which is the case right now.
Movies, TV, Music and Games are the only thing keeping Sony afloat right now. And truth be told Movies and TV isn't doing a whole lot for them. The MGM buyout wound up biting them in the butt in Q4.
To most people it might sound like Sony is doing find, But if you look at the whole picture and everything Sony has their hands in, once you step back you relies that only having Music and Games as their only source of real profit its actually kind of small. Its like Microsoft only relying on the Xbox and Hardware sales to keep them afloat while their OS and Software sales reach all time lows.

Sony does have a good credit limit right now, its not enough to keep them running for decades thou.
One thing is clear thou is that if Sony can't pay back that loan that could cause them to file for bankruptcy.
It costs allot to run Sony and their profit is shrinking. If Blu-Ray and the PS3 tank they are going to be in some serious trouble.

Sega had other profitable devisors. Sony does not have that option. Also don't forget Sega got bought out by Sammy.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2006, 07:09:36 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Looking at how long Sega managed to operate without a successful console, I think Sony will be fine even if PS3 is a huge bomb.  The question is will it be able to recover?

Sega only had its gaming division to take care of, though.

Sony's entertainment division is like one person working in order to feed a very, very large family.

Unless Sony intends to close down some of its non-profitable divisions, then they actually have fewer legs to stand on then Sega does.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
the only DVDA i know is trey parkers band

Hey

What makes a man?
Is it the power in his hands?
Is it his quest for glory?
Give it all you've got,
to fight to the top
So we can know your story

Now you're a man

A man, man man
Now you're a man

A manny manny man
A man man man

You are now a man
You're a man
Now you're a man

Live it, Live it

What make a man?
Is it the woman in his arms?
Just cause she has big titties?
Or is it the way he fights every day?
....No, it's probably the titties

Now you're a man

A man, man man
Now you're a man-man

Man-man man-man man
Now you're a man

M-A-N, man
Man, man-man man
Now you're a man

Sorry...Couldn't resist. "When I Was On Top Of You" is a great one too.

She'll never know what she meant to me.
Whenever I was with her I was always as gentle as I could be.
And now I don't know why, but she's gone away.
And I'll just have to stand on my own two legs.

Your eyes, your smile
Made my little life worthwhile.
There's was nothing I couldn't do
When I was on top of you.

I'd pull her hair, and she'd know to stop.
And when she'd look behind her, I'd always be there.
And now I don't know why, but she,
she's gone.
And all I can do is try to carry on.

Your eyes, your smile
Made my little life worthwhile.
The sky was a lot more blue,

BTW - for those who have never seen Cannibal! The Musical, he's singing about his horse, Leann.

I could talk all day about the genius of Trey Parker & Matt Stone.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
Not to add more fuel to the Sony fire but.... I'm adding more fuel to the Sony fire.

Cell Chip Getting 10-20% Production Yields

In other words, only 10-20% of the Cell chips IBM is manufacturing are actually usable parts for PS3. The other 80-90% are defective and are either thrown out or being recycled as chips for other products.

Generally the numbers should be reversed, with 80% or better production yields.

PS3 is really "the thing that shouldn't be" at this point. And they claim they'll have 2 million for launch? Heh. At this failure rate, they have to manufacture as many as 20 million chips to produce 2 million workable chips by the fall. Can't say I belived Sony's 2 million claim anyway.
"wow."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »
If that's true, things are going to get really, really ugly.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »
Hmm, should I track down several PS3s this fall and sell them on eBay for Christmas?

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »
Hurray Beer!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »
How can you pool losses together?

Isn't that like... Enron accounting?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »
Sony just got slapped with another patent infringement lawsuit
gamespot.com

Now Sony's in the middle of another patent fight, this one brought against the company by Pennsylvania-based Agere Systems. According to court documents, Agere (which has a pair of offices in Texas) has filed suit against Sony and a number of its divisions for willful infringement of eight patents in a number of its products, including the PSP, PlayStation 2, and based on announced specifications, the PlayStation 3. Sony VAIO computers, Handycams, Walkman players, Memory Stick Duos, and Location Free TV are also named as infringing offerings on some of the patents. The patents in question run from a "wireless local area network apparatus" to "barrier layer treatments for tungsten plug."

rumors of developers quietly canning PS3 and PSP developments, being asked to make fake CGI cutscenes from games they might be mnaking a some point in PS3's lifetime, stories of the defective Blu-ray drives and now extremely low yields of the cell chip!!?, sony just can't catch a break.

edit: And I forgot about having to take out a $613million(?) loan to help with PS3 production and having to pay Immersion $91million for court settled lawsuit.

Originally posted by: Professional 666
How much mountain does the snowball have left to travel?

I think that snowball is tunneling now, it ran out of mountain a little ways back.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »
How much mountain does the snowball have left to travel?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

Originally posted by: EasyCure
the only DVDA i know is trey parkers band

What make a man?
Is it the woman in his arms?
Just cause she has big titties?
Or is it the way he fights every day?
....No, it's probably the titties

I could talk all day about the genius of Trey Parker & Matt Stone.

^ thats my favorite part of the song. i bought orgazmo a few years ago after hearing so much about it and fell in love with it. the deleted scenes are histerical (especially the one with the guy that couldnt uh...release.... anywhere..classic). so yeah, after watching that and watching an old episode of south park (the tree house) and seeing the d.v.d.a shirt on a character, i realized what the shirt meant. that was the only dvda i've heard of until now.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »
Blackn~1: Sony says they've got a license for seven out of the eight patents.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2006, 09:09:44 PM »
Agere says they don't. Either way it'll get settled in court(or out of court) and its just one more thing to divert Sony's attention away from things that they should be focused on. Too many problems coming from too many angles.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2006, 11:47:27 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Agere says they don't. Either way it'll get settled in court(or out of court) and its just one more thing to divert Sony's attention away from things that they should be focused on. Too many problems coming from too many angles.

Most of which have been brought on by Sony themselves.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:42 PM »
I can't argue against that. All I'm trying to say is that Sony has been getting hit hard lately

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2006, 03:55:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
How can you pool losses together?

Isn't that like... Enron accounting?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Well in my eyes, everyone lost. So why should we get our money back if we lost?

So now, it's noone's money and all of ours at the sametime, savvy?

So we all decided to drink our losses down in glasses and BBQ as we watch my DVD recordings of the WC.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2006, 04:03:49 AM »
Just because Sony had an agreement with At&T and Lucent doesn't mean the agreement still stands after Agere Systems was formed from AT&T and Lucent.  Unless a contract was formed that stated that they have all encompassing rights to use those patents, even after the original companies no longer own the patents, then Sony has some answering to do.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2006, 05:19:31 AM »
Which is worse...the fact that I come here to gleefully find constant bad news about Sony and their PS3, or the fact that there seem to be more bad news about Sony than there are any news about the Wii lately?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:54 AM »
But the Wii news is almost always good, so it doesn't matter in the end, while as the PS3 news is almost always bad.  =D

Sony has stolen Winnie the Pooh's little black rain cloud.  I fully expect Disney to sue Sony next.  lol
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »
My point is that I find myself coming here actually looking forward to the bad Sony news that I expect to find (I think that's my fanboy side showing) and that there actually are new bad news lately.  I really should be coming to the Planet GameCube forums for the Wii news, or at least the Nintendo news.

(Er...I'm sure it's been asked before but when will it become PlanetWii, if ever?)

This week alone I've heard about Sony having to take out a big loan, having bad chip yields, and now a possible lawsuit.  Wii news this week: EA games I mostly don't care that much about, even if it is overall good news.

Bad news for Sony is usually good news for Nintendo but really - it's bringing out the dark, ugly side of my fanboyism.  I think it's more sporting to cheer for the team I like than to boo the one I don't.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2006, 06:56:03 AM »
I see your point, but then again, do you see mine?

Now, I'm going to talk Football (soccer)

If the team you don't like makes a bad pass and your team  intercepts it: Do you?

A: Cheer for your team

or

B: Not cheer at all

You see, whenever Sony makes a mistake, its as if they are giving Nintendo another chance to score. And by now, Nintendo has alot of chances to score racked up.

So in essence, we are cheering for Nintendo all along!
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

(Er...I'm sure it's been asked before but when will it become PlanetWii, if ever?)

Johnny said they will, "NEVER EVER EVER USE THAT HORRIBLE NAME, WII.  NEVER.  I HATE NINTENDO."  You can quote me on that.  Then he said, "Yeah, we'll probably have a new name sooner or later, leave me alone.  WHERE'S THE WAITRESS WITH MY F***ING DRINK?"

truthfully, he said they will not be using planetwii, but there is a new name coming, yet to be unveiled.  I predict it will be more generic.

I also look forward to the bad Sony news, but that's because the Nintendo news is mainly boring.  Call me back when you've got screenshots or details on a game I care about.  Actually, I was excited about that "Nintendo is already producing final units" news last week.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666 How much mountain does the snowball have left to travel?

I think that snowball has probably burrowed into hell by now, and we all know how much of a chance it stands there.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64