Author Topic: Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.  (Read 41138 times)

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »
The announcement in Frankie's words.

We all knew it was announced. I just wanted to make a topic about it. With it announced, all Microsoft needs to do is say it comes out before the PS3 and that's the last nail in Sony's coffin.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »
I disagree.  Plenty of Sony fanboys hate Halo just as much as the fanboys on this forum.  (I'm counting myself in that group).
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »
Too bad Halo 3 ain't coming til '07. The end of the trailer they released flashed that before it ended.  

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
RE:Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:57:49 PM »
I'd forgotten they said '07. Any news on the PS3 release date?
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
november 17, 2006

edit: or was it nov. 11?
I'll shut up now...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:25:07 PM »
Seriously, whats so special about this games? I try to look objectively and I trully find them so generic that its painful.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
pretty sure it was 17.

What Microsoft really needs to do is drop the price of the premium to $300 (and probably just phase out the core). No single game could hurt Sony's launch quite as much as a nearly comparable console getting almost all the same games and selling for half the price.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:32:09 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
Seriously, whats so special about this games? I try to look objectively and I trully find them so generic that its painful.

I don't own an X-Box, but I've played it enough with a friend and did enough research to know more then the average gamer, and the biggest reason is online play. It's a great online FPS. Really lackluster single player campaign, though. It's one of those games that has a magic you only understand after you've stuck a guy with a plasma grenade from halfway across the map.,

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
Nov 11th is Japan.

Yeah online makes up for the most boring campaigns in the history of shooters. (Along with PD0)
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot

Originally posted by: mantidor

I don't own an X-Box, but I've played it enough with a friend and did enough research to know more then the average gamer, and the biggest reason is online play. It's a great online FPS. Really lackluster single player campaign, though. It's one of those games that has a magic you only understand after you've stuck a guy with a plasma grenade from halfway across the map.,

Nah, that wouldn't explain the success of the first one.  I would say it is because it is an FPS that is very forgiving if you can survive an encounter between another player.  The healing makes confrontation more heated and lets the survivor talk louder because he'll be fine within 30 seconds.  And that is really what it is all about when you get a group of guys together... trash talking.  Growing up on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, the aspect irks me but I can see why it appeals to what some would call 'casual' gamers.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
The trailer was boring, 'nough said.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:16:57 PM »
The games have a pretty high level of quality (I think), they're just nothing too interesting.

Now DOA: Xtreme, that's what I've really been waiting for!  I haven't seen boobs jiggle this much since the heady days of the N64 and Dreamcast, when programmers were just starting to experiment with the black art of breast physics, like a sweaty teenager trying to unhook his first bra....

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »
I haven't seen the video yet, but the screenshots impress me.

Perhaps this'll forever harm my reputation as a NIntendo fanboy, but I did find Halo's multiplayer kind of fun.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »
I found it hard not to enjoy myself at an 8 player Halo lan-party. I found it hard to enjoy fully due to the fact I hate dual analog controls of any and all sort!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »
Halo's multiplayer = teh fun.
Halo's single-player = teh SUCK.

It's a very refined game. It's also a very social game. It's so great to smack a guy in the back of the head with a battle rifle and tell the jerk you just smacked how badly you just pwned him. Same goes for a headshot with the sniper rifle.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »
The trailer was disappointing wasn't it? I thought MS would go all out and at least show some gameplay footage. I think it is a mistake on their behalf to not have Halo 3 launch simultaneously with the PS 3, or just before hand.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 06:08:35 AM »
Speaking of launching Halo, there's a new book out on the creation of the Xbox 360, I read some excerpts from it, and apparently there's a lot of infighting at Microsoft about Halo launch dates.  For Halo 2, J. Allard kept pushing the software guys to have it ready sooner and sooner (apparently they also requested a Halo 1 Online at some point as a stop-gap solution until Halo 2 was ready).  On the other hand, Ed Fries, who was managing the software department at that time, kept defending Bungie and demanding that Microsoft give the company time to get the game done.  He sees games as art and feels they can't be rushed.

So it's kind of interesting, because there are lots of folks at MS who probably agree with you, blackfootsteps...Halo 3 should launch this Christmas.  Personally, I agree with Fries, I think if it makes Halo 3 a better game, Bungie should be allowed to have launch next year.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 10:54:35 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
The trailer was disappointing wasn't it? I thought MS would go all out and at least show some gameplay footage. I think it is a mistake on their behalf to not have Halo 3 launch simultaneously with the PS 3, or just before hand.

You know what's an even bigger mistake? A rush job.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps

Heh, there wasn't any gameplay shown, but the little hints it left (Cortana seemingly gone insane, the Earth ravaged and the Ark being finally shown) were enough to start massive debates about the plot.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
I haven't seen the video but the plot is about the only thing I'm interested in.  I liked Halo 1 and 2 but they added basically everything the first was missing already so I don't see any new features to excite me.  I hope Bungie can finish up Halo and start making some new games soon.  Any of you ever play the Bungie game Myth?  Best RTS ever.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »
making of the trailer
Mostly just people saying how great the game they're making will be, but the section on the music was interesting.

Also, stuff on the new insane Cortana. I'm going to guess she's on the side of good, just because they talk about how evil she could be.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 05:54:52 AM »
I suppose they'll make her go evil at the end so they can copy stuff from System Shock for Halo 4.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 07:22:10 AM »
Yeah, first thing I thought of when I saw it was "evil cortana!"

But I think this is a very interesting topic for long-time Bungie fans. Apparently, Bungie has some previous lore with AI entities in their previous games and I'm not exactly sure how Marathon ties into Halo and all that.

Either way, I expect this game in Spring 2007. Gears of War will be X360's launch against the playstation.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 07:33:04 AM »
Officially Halo and Marathon aren't related.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 08:10:45 AM »
Officially. But the lore might share similarities, much like there are obvious parallels between WarCraft and StarCraft story structures.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com