Author Topic: any body rememebr these systems?  (Read 8299 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
any body rememebr these systems?
« on: January 23, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »
I was watching G4 the other day and I totaly had forgotten about the Coleco Vision and Oddessy 2, wow Ihave been spending a lto of time lately with my Atari 2600 VCS and now I am wanting a Coleco Vision again. I will have to check out ebay or something.\

Ok sorry that was wierd so I chose to edit my post.

Does anybody remeber seeing Trubo Graphicx 16? Ever played one?

Anyone played Coleco Vision before?

Also who has or wants to have a Neo Geo system? Anyone.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
RE:any body rememebr these systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
Dont remember turbo graphics 16x much but it was around. Heres a good one, anyone remembers the jaguar? It was supposed to be the first 64bit system and have advanced graphics. It had 5 cores over 3 processors. Sound familiar. The system was hard to program for and lost alot of support for that reason. It also fell short on all its promises of capabilities and inevitably died against competition.  

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: any body rememebr these systems?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »
I used to have some Atari and maybe a Coleco and some other system. I think it had a keyboard and the cartridges would plug-in on the side? For the former, I had stuff like Keystone Capers, Taz, Qbert, Computer Chess, Asteroids, the glitchy Pac-Man, Joust, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol which needs to be made in 3-D, Centipede, as well as a broken Indiana Jones; for the latter I had Bust Out, Skateboardin', Clowns and Balloons, and this crazy game called Goats and Cliffs or something like that. I have no idea if anyone has ever played those last 4, but I played those a lot in my childhood.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:41:31 PM »
Anyone remember the spectrum? I don't, but I discovered Jet Set Willy in emulator form a while ago and, I have to say, it's one of the best 2d platformers ever.

Oh, and the 2600 was my first love. I still own mine and about 50 games for it....more than I have for any other single system. Pitfall, Star Command, Night Rider, tank!, River Raid....ah, so many good games.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:00:36 PM »
My friend had a TurboDuo. Really liked that system. Somewhat on that topic, everyone with a Freeloader/Action Replay or region-modded GameCube or a PS2 with the requisite modification should own Bonk's Adventure. Great conversion of a classic platformer.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:21:01 PM »
The thing that amazed me about the Turbo Duo was that its controller was basically a rip off of the NES one... but the system was released during the 16 bit era, making fighting games (like the exclusive Godzilla one) pretty akward for it among other things.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 05:01:09 AM »
In regrads to Jaguar staements, simple NOT TRUE. Teh reason why it failed was because Atari made the idiotic mistake of including a Motorla M68000 16 bit prossescor, teh exact SAME chip n Sega Genesis, programers got lazy and were proting SEGA GENESIS games over in ahurry and it made the system look bad, it had 16 bit games with no enhancments. Over all its 3D power was actualy inferior to the 32X and it only had a 32bit system bus so it wasnt even true 64 bit. But its first year tehy marketed the hellout of that thing and tehy had some good suport going in but lazy devs kinda killed it off.  

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:14:34 AM »
Before I had a NES, I had a ColecoVision. Man, I used to love that system. It came with Donkey Kong. My favorite game was Moon Patrol
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 06:25:30 AM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat
In regrads to Jaguar staements, simple NOT TRUE. Teh reason why it failed was because Atari made the idiotic mistake of including a Motorla M68000 16 bit prossescor, teh exact SAME chip n Sega Genesis, programers got lazy and were proting SEGA GENESIS games over in ahurry and it made the system look bad, it had 16 bit games with no enhancments. Over all its 3D power was actualy inferior to the 32X and it only had a 32bit system bus so it wasnt even true 64 bit. But its first year tehy marketed the hellout of that thing and tehy had some good suport going in but lazy devs kinda killed it off.

If you read up on it alot of developers found it simply a head ache to develop for so thats probably the main reason why they didnt bother trying to make games in 3d. For some reason this sounds alot like the ps3, many developers are complaining thats its very hard to develop for and arnt bothering to tap into its power.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
LOL i  used to play  the  heck out of cybermorph, avp  was awesome...but it  was a tile  fps..it  wasnt  true  3d.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
The Jaguar on paper was more powerful on then the PSX in certain aspects.  The PSX was infinetly easier to program.  The Jaguar, however, had about 0 percent Japanese support.  The 3DO had more Japanese support then the Jag...
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 07:26:55 AM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat

Well said. The Jaguar was screamingly powerful for its time, if one took the time to actually make use of it's complex architecture. It's probably the ultimate example of a system with untapped potential.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 02:45:03 PM »
My dad still has his old coleco vision, sometimes we still get it out and have some fun with it.  heck, my dad still has his old pong machine, its not the original pong, it has colors (a grand total of 2 colors) and several different versions of the game.  Its old, but when we hook it up, pong is still incredibly addictive.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline archioverload

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
Kind of related, in terms of computer gaming: The TI 994/A had some sweet games: Parsec, Chisholm Trail, Munch Man (requisite Pacman ripoff)...good times, good times.
"Dazzle people with smoke and mirrors, and swoop down like an eagle to clutch their hearts in your claws." --Travis, Killer 7

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »
I think archioverload you probably have the best avatar ever. I will keep on tuckin'.  
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 10:34:27 PM »

Kind of related, in terms of computer gaming: The TI 994/A had some sweet games: Parsec, Chisholm Trail, Munch Man (requisite Pacman ripoff)...good times, good times.

Oh, hey, yeah, I have one of those, I think.

It had the best version of Space Invaders ever, if I recall.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline archioverload

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »
Rock on, Dasmos, and keep on trucking too.
"Dazzle people with smoke and mirrors, and swoop down like an eagle to clutch their hearts in your claws." --Travis, Killer 7

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »
Hey does anyone remember the XBox360??

I dont know if this system was a myth or real.  They were extremely rare and overhyped to levels of insanity!!

Oh and for any aussies that were even thinking of picking one up here is a little news tid bit for you

THE supply problems that have plagued the launch of the Xbox 360 overseas will also hit Australia, with Microsoft delaying the console's release by three weeks.   Microsoft announced last year that the Xbox 360, which is already available overseas, would make its Australian debut March 2. The date has now been pushed back to March 23.

Chris Jenkins

Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 05:48:08 PM »
TI/99A...

I saw one of those once in a thrift shop.  I should have picked it up.
Oh well...

Does any here have the Commadore 64 based console or the Speccy based console that was released in the early ninties?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 05:39:47 PM »
I used to have a Commadore 64 and upgraded to Commadore 128 latter on. I learned hwo to programin BASIC on that thing and used to make really cool video games. too bad I was limited in RAM and was only a teenager cuz I didnt get much out of it.  

Offline invisibot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
The TI 99/4A was awesome.  I've been programming since I learned to write as a result of having access to that system.  

I loved Parsec, a great defender ripoff that solidified my love of Shmups.  My mom ruled at Munch man, and I swore in front of my parents for the first time while playing that game.  Your man went invisible in the later levels, so you had to have a strategy memorized.

I've owned two of those systems.  One I completely took apart just to see how it worked.  

Does any one else remember saving their code on to a tape deck?  There was a fairly good sized comunity of people that exchanged code using tapes back in the day as well.  

I really wanted an Amiga back then but we got a 286 machine with a 42Mb hard drive and I was in heaven.  We thought we got a steal, come on who could use that much storage space?  Ah so funny to remember those days.  

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 09:22:55 AM »
I used to write programs and save them onto tapes on my COmmadore 64. As time went buy I upgraded to a Disk Drive and revorded music onto all those cassettes until I discovered CD burners.

Damn its hard to beleive that Technology has changed THAT much in just MY lifetime. Now I am feeling 'old'
maybe I was wrong for staring this thread....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »
You had tapes? We had a nice lil' 1541/II. With a serial-to-parallel adapter you can copy the disk contents to your PC and run 'em emulated. Big advantage since you can place a savestate right after the game is loaded and set it to 1000% speed while loading.

Offline Hypnotic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
i think the earliest game system i had was the NES
Top 3 games:
1. Legend of Zelda: OoT

2. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

3. Tales of Symphonia

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »
My earliest system was the Atari 2600, but with computers my dad brought home a Commadore +4. Barely a computer, just a tower of sorts, a keyboard, and the tv as a monitor. I tried some simple programming that was included in the manual, but I wasn't nerdy enough back then to understand what the heck I was doing (different story now ). For me computers weren't about gaming at all. It was all my Nintendo. But I think was more interested in reading my DC Comics (yeah, Marvel sucks!) and playing with my Transformers than playing games.  Oh , and watching Dr Who on PBS. Those were the days...