Author Topic: Super Monkey Ball Rolls onto DS  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Monkey Ball Rolls onto DS
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:28:56 AM »
The new issue of Famitsu reveals a touch-controlled sequel to Sega's popular series.

We've seen the future of Super Monkey Ball, and it's on the Nintendo DS.  The latest issue of Famitsu Weekly in Japan has the first information and screenshots of Super Monkey Ball DS.    

The game displays a fully polygonal engine on the top screen, with a 2D representation of your character on the touch screen.  As with Namco's Pac 'N Roll, this game is controlled by sliding the stylus across the touch screen to simulate rolling the ball in any direction.  One key difference with Pac 'N Roll is that Super Monkey Ball DS shows the action from behind your monkey, just like in the console games.    

Famitsu's screenshots also show off some of the mini-games, including a version of the race mode and a new air hockey game that looks similar to Nintendo's air hockey demo from E3 2004.  The mini-games will support wireless multiplayer, of course, but we're still checking on whether the article confirms online WiFi support as well.    

Super Monkey Ball DS is scheduled for a December release in Japan.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShanD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Monkey Ball Rolls onto DS
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:48:44 PM »
Wait wait, but I thought YOU MOVE THE MAZE NOT THE MONKEY????????/
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:59:20 PM »
yeah, MB was all about TILTING... oh well.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »
hehe this reminds an awesome game (not video game, an actual physical game) that my cousin had where you moved a little metal ball through several obstacles, one of which was a maze that you moved to get the ball go through, it was great fun.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »
Mantidor - the game you're referring to is called Labyrinth.  I suck at it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:38:02 AM »
Oh god, Labyrinth.

OH GOD, LABYRINTH.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 04:19:41 PM »
So I googled it excited because I really missed that game and I cant remember the original name  but I was dissapointed, its this what you are talking about? because thats not the one my cousin had, it was a lot more easy (this ones looks impossible >_< ), and it had several different obstacles, the first part was a zig zag bridge which you switched with a button, then you moved a little crane with a magnet and put the ball between two bars, which you pull apart and together with a lever to make the ball move towards another path etc,etc, the most difficult part was the labyrinth, it was short, but it was completly covered, so you didnt have any idea where the ball was. we had time contest with the little game, it was so awesome!

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »
I had something similar, it was cheap because irt was partially defective. One obstacle wouldn't work at all.

My mother had one of those wood labyrinths in very large (100 holes, the large one there seems to have only 60 or so) with various covers for easier maps in one kindergarten she led. That's also the kindergarten she gave her old Atari 2600 to...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 09:48:12 PM »
I never could do the two bars thing well. The covered thing was easy once you figured out the motions.

I've only ever seen that game in Middle of Nowhere though.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Super Monkey Ball Rolls onto DS
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 07:52:50 PM »
I KNOW! I KNOW!!!!!!

Was it called Screwball Scramble???

I loved that game So much... The memories...
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 01:16:51 AM »
Not in my case.