Author Topic: Something important to know about the Revolution  (Read 94367 times)

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Something important to know about the Revolution
« on: January 08, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »
Mods- I'm dead serious here, so there's no need to lock.

I've heard several people (can't speak for this forum) worry and think the Revolution won't be something truely revolutionsary.

Well, I've recently talked to a developer who is working on Revolution software, and out of desperity (sp), I asked him if he could give any Revolution details.

And it worked. Currently, I know the media format and even about a Revolution game. (I promised him I wouldn't tell any of the big details he gave me)

But the developer told me that the Revolution, is in fact, going to be revolutionary, which is basically the message I'm getting across here.

So there's no need to worry; Revolution is going to be here to kick @$$ and take names.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Something important to know about the Revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:43:57 AM »
NDA, eh?

Good to know that. But still the name revolution is better either a hint at something revolving or the most arrogant codename there ever was. Hell, let's codename the next one AweXome (spelt with X for Xtra awesomeness), screw modesty! And hey, let Strong Bad himself promote the system! He could kick Reggies ass to hell and back! And now, for something completely different.

I hope this will turn out to be positive. A problem I'm seeing is the human tendency to apply square logic to circular problems if they are used to squares, in other words that people will consider the revolutions abilities a hindrance to making traditional games instead of a tool to create new ones. You can make any game with any sufficiently advanced set of controls though you might need to adjust the control mechanism. Of course, customers get upset by unusual solutions as well. Think of the Metroid Prime control scheme: While clearly superior to the old dual stick setup people wanted their old controls back, simply because they're used to it. I wonder if this will hurt the Rev's potential userbase...

Oh, a question you're probably allowed to answer: Does the game sound interesting?

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 12:51:06 AM »
Oh yes. After the comment the developer made on the game, it sound very promising.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 03:18:03 AM »
I don't need anyone to tell me that the Revolution will be just that...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 03:31:12 AM »
The thing that excites me more about this potential inside info is that it means that developers have revolution software after the rumors going around that Nintendo was being slow to get it out.
A question you're probably not allowed to answer:  What letter of the alphabet does the developer start with?
and the next couple as well
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
RE:Something important to know about the Revolution
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
The thing that excites me more about this potential inside info is that it means that developers have revolution software after the rumors going around that Nintendo was being slow to get it out.
A question you're probably not allowed to answer:  What letter of the alphabet does the developer start with?
and the next couple as well

Haha, why would you want to know the name of the developer anyway?

I don't know the name of the developer, ironically.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 07:28:23 AM »
Because he'd like to know who's enlisted for Rev development?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 07:33:32 AM »
I used my admin x-ray powers and his IP is from a small ISP in ...

... a city with a certain well-known GC developer in it.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 06:04:22 PM »
you know the revolution is a record palyer right.  that means that the DS will use old vynil records to play games. which means a lot more space. . . . . . .yeah. that's what I heard.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 07:41:40 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Because he'd like to know who's enlisted for Rev development?

You mean what company he works for?

I can't tell you that. Because if I told you, you would autamatically know what Revo. game I'm talking about.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »
So it's a sequel then.  It must be or we wouldn't automatically know by the company name.  If it was an original game we could never guess but if we can successfully guess then it has to be a sequel.  And it has to be a company that has only made one series ever or else we could never guess so quickly.  I'm thinking it might be Retro Studios since they have only made two games ever and upon hearing their name we would immediately assume it would be a Metroid game.

Though that wouldn't really tell us much.  We can kind of assume such a sequel would be released.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 08:20:38 PM »
Hold up, there's still the ever ambiguous Silicon Knights. If Nintendo was stupid enough to announce that Factor 5 wasn't making any more Cube games at such a terrible time, they're stupid enough to have messed up SK's announcement as well.

Retro has only ever completed Metroid Prime games, but they've worked on others as well. Nintendo might give them a break after their recent milking of the Metroid franchise, they at least deserve it. Remember N-Sider stating RPG's design document was 700 pages? By normal American standards, a large one is about 30. RPG was most likely scrapped because it was too ambitious, but it would be perfect for a Revolution launch title: a massive game that can be created relatively quickly because there's already so much design work done on it. In short, I don't think we can assume Retro another MP title without more evidence.

SK's only anticipated and well-known title is Too Human. What city is it, Ty?

Or it could all be a lie.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »
Or it could be Factor 5.... either Pilotwings or RS4.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 12:48:29 AM »
RS4 would be nice, At the end of the day I wouldn't buy it. I need some thing bigger, badder. Not MM big. Something between Escape Velocity and the combat engine found in the RS series with fan made content.

I personally think that fan-made content for a console would be revolutionary for the market. That thing has a hard drive right? Why waste space on installing the game when you can install and tap into what can be and endless supply of content.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:55 AM »
RPG was most likely scrapped because it was too ambitious, but it would be perfect for a Revolution launch title: a massive game that can be created relatively quickly because there's already so much design work done on it.

I desire Raven Blade greatly... ^_^

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 03:20:37 AM »
I would love Nintendo to give Retro a budget and a chance to create their own game.  

However, you must realize that although they deserve the chance, any original game made won't be as big as Metroid...And even Retro Studios themselves may not want to take that chance.  Right now they are batting 2 for 2.  If they can create another 3rd game with the quality of the first 2, then they can prove themselves as designers better than most in the market.  

Although, if they could do that same achievement with an original RPG then wow.  Who knows Nintendo may have asked them to purposely scrap the game for the cube, so that they could have it for later.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 05:24:01 AM »
I think Retro's next game will be a sequel to Metroid.  Nintendo will want all the big franchises it can get right of the bat.  At least, that's what I think Nintendo should be going for.

This could also be Wave Race or 1080 from NST, I suppose, but then we couldn't automatically guess what game it is, so my money is on Metroid or Pilot Wings.  Ha ha, guessing games are fun!

Noble~Feather: good on you for protecting your source, even though it drives me crazy.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 06:13:20 AM »
And even Retro Studios themselves may not want to take that chance.

Nope, Retro have stated themselves that they would like to keep the Metroid series, but would also like to work on some original games...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 09:04:53 PM »
I would rather see Retro do another Metroid before starting something original.  If the Revolution is not just a gimmicky name refering to something revolving on the system and it actually is a step towards virtual reality then a Metroid game will be the most valuable game for the sytsem.  

I feel that a new control format for the Revolution will get rid of the complicated setup in the Prime games.  Fluid aiming and character movement will be made possible with new controllers (look to Metroid Hunters).  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 09:39:25 PM »
You guys are way off. Look at the times when he posted.

His first two posts suggest that he either lives on the East Coast and wakes up far too early, or lives on the West Coast and stays up far too late. But those would actually be normal hours... if he lived in either Europe or Japan!

His second two posts tend to rule out Europe, and suggest that Japan is more likely.

So he's someone from a city in Japan.

Someone needs to list all the Japanese developers who are "known" for something, and what city they're in.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 01:17:19 AM »
Ian Sane: It's not Retro.

Caillan: It's not Silicon Knights.

ruby_onix: I LOL @ U 4 thinking I live in JPN.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 05:39:20 AM »
Note how he does not deny the possibility of Europe.  Hmm. . .

I'll just wait.  We're bound to see something at E3, and that's just a few months away.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 06:02:42 AM »
Is it EA Los Angeles?

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 06:15:33 AM »
Yeah I have a feeling it is EA too.  Mostly because they are now 50% of the video game market...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 07:54:05 AM »
Erm, you're forgetting the talk about an innovative game here so that rules out EA. Though that COULD be just the competition.

Either way, the time says nothing. Some people stay up until 4 at night, some wake up at 5 in the morning.