Author Topic: Wii Balance Board Breaks Record  (Read 3842 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Wii Balance Board Breaks Record
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »

One of the biggest games for the Wii breaks even more records.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28953

The Wii Balance Board has been awarded the Guiness World Record for the best-selling personal weighting device, Nintendo recently confirmed.

Between the launch of the peripheral and its game, Wii Fit in 2008 and November of 2010, a total of 32,114,428 balance boards were sold worldwide. With 9,451,107 units, nearly a third of those were bundled with Wii Fit Plus, the update released in 2009 that adds new activities and features to the original Wii Fit software. Overall, over 19.31 million copies of Wii Fit Plus have been sold.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Wii Balance Board Breaks Record
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
So that would mean in terms of platform sales, the Balance Board is near the Gamecube.

And it got about as much support.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:18 PM »
Actually, GameCube was about 25 million. So it has done better.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »
It's not really breaking anything if the world record was created just for you.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
I always hoped there would be a survival horror game designed to work with the Balance Board. I guess at this point that will probably never happen. Maybe if it carries over to the Wii U there might still be hope...
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
I always hoped there would be a survival horror game designed to work with the Balance Board. I guess at this point that will probably never happen. Maybe if it carries over to the Wii U there might still be hope...

How would this work?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
I wish there had been more games that utilized the balance board.  For how many it sold, it doesn't seem to have gotten that much support, I suppose since so many people bought it for just Wii Fit.  It's a shame that so many of the peripherals that Nintendo releases get so little support, including by Nintendo itself.

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
I think it also should get the record for "Most quickly abandoned weighing device".

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »

How would this work?

Chozo, sorry to take your idea and run with it, but that's a great idea!   It would have to be Wiimote (or maybe Wiimote and Nunchuck) as well as the balance board.  You could use it for dodging enemies and attacks....like outstretched zombie limbs trying to grab you.   Or maybe for avoiding deadly traps.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
I was excited by the idea of a Super Monkey Ball game controlled with the balance board, but SEGA seemed to have squandered that opportunity since Step and Roll launched to such lacklustre reviews.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 05:46:13 AM »

How would this work?

Imagine having to use the balance board to tip toe your way through some house full of zombies or whatever, and if you don't do it just right you will make the floor creak or whatever and then they will all chase after you and then you have to run (using the balance board) and if you don't do things right they catch you and you die. It would be a great way to burn calories and get fit.
is your sanity...

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
I used the balance board plenty between Wii Fit and Plus, EA Active 1 and 2, a little Tetris Party and... I have one other game for it. Either way, at least it works well for what its supposed to do.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
I think it also should get the record for "Most quickly abandoned weighing device".

Clearly you don't know anyone who bought a scale!  :P:

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
1. ah, the most coveted award in all of gaming! (kidding)

2. Hey, at least the Wii U will support the BB so if anyone besides Nintendo decides to support it they have a second chance.

3. I also was super excited for Step+Roll with the BB.  The reviews are more or less true.  The BB works great but the way SEGA designed the controls around the BB? Not even remotely sensible.  It's hard to describe, but if you want to lean back to go backwards? Nope, you turn around completely.  So if you need to correct something it's a lot like Austin Powers backing up that golf cart or whatever it was.  Very disappointing.

Still KINDA fun since SEGA made the levels easier if you use the BB (kind of an admission of guilt!) but not nearly the killer app it could have been!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
So that would mean in terms of platform sales, the Balance Board is near the Gamecube.
It surpassed the GameCube a while ago, it's now approaching lifetime sales of the Nintendo 64 at 32.93 million.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
It's a shame Monkey Ball wasn't better for the Wii, it seemed like a perfect fit for the series.  Someone should have made a full game out of the Table Tilt balance game, that was so much fun but it needed more levels. 

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:31 AM »
It's a shame Monkey Ball wasn't better for the Wii, it seemed like a perfect fit for the series.  Someone should have made a full game out of the Table Tilt balance game, that was so much fun but it needed more levels.

Exactly... and that's the problem with Step and Roll.  It's not like you just tilt a table and the ball rolls.  It's mechanic are more like trying to steer a Mario Kart with the balance board.  It's really a mistake because that could have been such an awesome BB game.

Btw, isn't a little silly how SEGA makes a Monkey Ball game for every platform the second it launches?  Everyone knows I'm a positive guy when it comes to games, but I don't think there is any doubt that their strategy with that franchise is to just bottom-feed off of slim-pickens around launch windows... kinda sad.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:24 AM »
The 3DS Monkey ball  I think controls well.  Unfortunately it really lacks in gameplay.  They should have just ported the original.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.