Author Topic: All 50 WiiWare Demos Reappear at Once  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
All 50 WiiWare Demos Reappear at Once
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »

Wii owners can now grab any once-expired demo on the service.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28945

Every WiiWare demo on the Wii Shop Channel is available again for download.

The service grew quiet in September, with the last available demo being offered for Microforum's 3D Pixel Racing. Unannounced, Nintendo has made every single trial accessible to Wii owners who may have missed out. It is not clear how long they will remain available.

The service was originally announced by Satoru Iwata during a Q&A session in 2009, where he explained that the intention was to offer the demos with limited availability, and for new ones to be put up as older ones expired.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: All 50 WiiWare Demos Reappear at Once
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
This is... odd. So if Nintendo could always host all the demos, why did they make a big fuss over their limited appearances?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
All the bit.trips had a demo?

As soon as I get back to my Wii I'm downloading them all.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
As I noted in my thread on the Console forum, this even includes the very first batch of demos that, before, if they were deleted from your system/memory card, you couldn't even re-download them (where as the later demos you still could).  These demos are the ones you'll notice will give you the Gift option when you open them.

I ran this through the ones I had already downloaded and it appears to be everything, unless there's a title that's not available *and* I missed it the first time around.  The only things "missing" are the Dr. Mario preview (which has to be gifted to you by someone who has the full version) and the Metriod Prime 3 Preview Channel (which isn't really a demo, though I have it grouped with my demos on my SD card...)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ponarza

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »

I think Nintendo decided to do this to make the Wii seem "relevant" at the moment. First, the 3DS is breaking records in sales and software in Japan, Europe, Australia, and the U.S.. Second, people are anticipating the arrival of the WiiU. Third, Nintendo wants to keep the Wii alive along side the WiiU. So, to provide 50 demos to the Wii "consumer", a word Nintendo has used, makes the Wii "relevant" from all the publicity the other consoles are receiving. This is Nintendo's way to address the Wii "consumer". Considering, I am a currently a Wii "consumer" I would like them to provide an improvement and expansion their Virtual Console and the WiiWare service.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
Shame that my Shop Channel is busted. There are plenty of demos that I would love to try out. :'(
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:15:27 AM »
I was kinda hoping they were going to make them more accessible, i.e putting a 'demo' button on the game info screen or something. The way to access them (as shown in the video) is a bit cumbersome.

Wonder if the success of the 3DS demos had anything to do with this, or maybe it's just in run up to the Wii U which might do all of this a lot better from the get-go. (fingers crossed)

But hey, they're back and that's all that matters.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »
Huh. Quite odd. A welcome addition, but strange nonetheless.
I was initially excited by the prospect of demos, but I must say, once I dl'ed a few of them, almost without exception I'd get that first taste of the game, say "it's alright," and then put it away. I don't think I ever was convinced to buy the full product. Whereas I'm sure, if I'd just dl'ed the game itself, I would have felt obliged to sink more time into it, since I paid for it, thereby unlocking and experiencing more of the game and probably enjoying it a great deal.
I think TYP said something like this on a recent RFN...   and I agree. Demos tend to sap my anticipation for a game. But that's just me.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
So do you have to scroll through the shop list alphabetically to find the various demos?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
So do you have to scroll through the shop list alphabetically to find the various demos?
WiiWare > Sort by Genre > Demo