Author Topic: Kutaragi has lost his mind. (possibly)  (Read 4810 times)

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Kutaragi has lost his mind. (possibly)
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:10 AM »
http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.%70hp?id=1697&cid=5

"We're positioning the PS3 as a supercomputer", he says, "But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need a hard disk. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have [the hard disk] preinstalled with Linux as a bonus."

Is it just me, or has Kutaragi finally gone over the deep end?

Or is this, as I suspect, just some elaborate hoax?  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Kutaragi has lost his mind. (possibly)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 05:38:42 PM »
I can hear the casuals now, "Hey I can use my PS3 as a computer!"
Logic: "But you won't because you already have a computer."
Casual: "So? It's cool!"
L: "But you paid extra for something you're never going to use."
C: "Well, uh. . .shut up!"
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Kutaragi has lost his mind. (possibly)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 06:23:42 PM »
I hread this somewhere before a couple of days(?) ago, but I have to ask, If you market it as a computer, isn't there government mandates and regulations that you have to comply with to release this thing worldwide?  Didn't they have a similar problem with the PS2?

and, I posted this in another thread, but it might be better suited here:

This is from the latest issue of Business 2.0 June 2005, which has a 4 page article on CELL. Here are a few intresting quotes from the article.

Kutaragi, known for the bold stroke and the grand vision, swung for the fences from the get-go. "We want to do something that has never been done before," he told Davari and a group of IBMers at their first meeting. "let's work together to change the world." The movie The Matrix had just come out, and Kutaragi relished itspremise of a world that is actually a giant computer simulation "Think about creating a crude version of that world," he said, "where millions of people can play in a realistically rendered virtual Tokyo or New Yourk City as if they are really living there." Creating that magical realm, Kutaragi told the team, would require a chip 1,000 times as powerful as the one in the PlayStation 2. The IBMers tried not to roll their eyes. They tended to like all that Matrix stuff, but when it came to 1,000-fold chip boosts, they thought Kutaragi was out of his mind.
We all thought he was out of his mind, but now we know

Davari tapped to lead the project was Kahle...He had designed IBM's first dual core chip, the Power4, and was just coming off a project that produced the IBM chip that powers Apple's G5 computers. "I don't want to do the normal stuff," he says with a shrug. Normal obviously want what Kutaragi had in mind. Still, one of Kahle's first moves was to talk Kutaragi down from that fantasy of a 1,000-fold power increase. Kahle figured a goal of a 100- fold boost from one chip generation to the next, having rarely if ever been achieved in the history of semiconductors, was ambitious enough.
PS4 = 1000 x the power of PS2!!!!!  O_O
Kutaragi was incredibly demanding and repeatedly sent Kahle back to the drawing board. At one point about a year into the project, Kutaragi made the team scrap the whole system structure and start over nearly from scratch. Another time Kutaragi decided he wanted two more cores. Why? "He just wanted to squeeze the engineering team," expains Masakazu Suzuoki, Sony's top Cell engineer, wringing his hands as if strangling a snake. "it hurt your head," Kahle recalls. Making the pain worse: The team still had to deliver the chip on the original schedule.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »
Oh yes, STUPID WORLD is a real, tangible place indeed.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:54:33 AM »
Well, with Linux on it he's basically inviting crackers to break any copy protection left on the games.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 07:14:37 AM »
He'll probably arm the PS3 with a bomb that'll go off to stop them killing thousands.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:12 AM »
I don't think he is crazy.  I think he is eccentric.  He wants to create the penultimate product.  

I think he sees the Playstation 3 and future generations of the Playstation as the biggest and most important product for the computer market.

We is really wanting to make a game system that CAN be your home computer, Tivo unit, HD-DVD player and anything else you would need.

He is hoping to make a product you MUST own.  

What is crazy is that it might actually work...IF he can get the price down low enough to be affordable to all markets.

Remember, a game system is basically a computer with a dedicated purpose...but sense game systems are getting so powerful why waste all that power purely on games...why not all it to do much more.  

That is Mr. Kutaragi's thoughts.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »
OH MY GOD!!!! SPAK-SPANG HAS LOST HIS MIND!!!!!

Quick someone get the straight jacket while I vacuum out the padded room.........

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:12:54 AM »
Spak-Spang, I think you're misusing penultimate.  Unless you mean he's creating his second to last game machin.  Penultimate is the precursor to the finale.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:32:44 AM »
If total convergence was all it's cracked up to be, why do convergence devices continually fail in the marketplace? Oh, yes, price and quality. You can't choose the best from each category, you have to buy one thing that hopefully performs well at what you want. If the PS3 is meant as a computer it must be open, i.e. no licensing fees to develop software for it. That means Sony has to profit enough from the device sales to make up for the lack of licensing revenue. You know what the 3DO cost.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
Robotor:  I actually am using penulitmate in the wrong context.  I just really like the word...and as I typed it I knew I was using the wrong word...

However, if you read Kutaragi's desires then if he can make the Matrix console a reality next generation it really would be the PS3 really would be the penulimate system, because if PS4 could do that Matrix thing we would never need a new system.  

Ha.

I do think its funny that the entirely too wordy post only gets commented on by a word usage.  

Thanks...it shows at least someone is reading, and actually cares about the English language.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 01:25:30 PM »
In some ways, it has shades of Yamauchi and Iwata. Though Yamauchi just said "Make something great" and Iwata is up in the clouds when he does interviews, Kutaragi is taking a little bit of both, with a mad scientist twist to it. Demotions be damned, he still has an eccentric voice, which makes the console wars all the more interesting.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
Kutaragi is not eccentric and he's not insane.  He's a traditional American-style type-A marketing guy who has at best a vague idea of the technical details.  But he knows how to sell it, and much of that involves screaming loudly.

He's notable mostly because American-style type-A "if you can still think I'm not screaming loudly enough" marketing guys are pretty rare at Sony...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »
I wonder if he has an evil laugh?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »
I don't think any other marketing guy ever gave us a speech like Kutaragi's "most beautiful thing in the world" speech where he insisted the flaws in the PSP were MEANT to be there, suggesting that his company will stubbornly refuse to correct any errors they find in their hardware.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »
The more stuff Kutaragi keeps tacking onto the PS3, the more I think the PS3 will fail because of its price.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I really do think he's gone off the deep end.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 05:13:36 PM »
In related news the ocean contains water and the earth isn't flat.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 03:45:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
In related news the ocean contains water and the earth isn't flat.

Not only water but also plankton
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 04:57:35 AM »
There's actually a Linux kit on the PS2 so it isnt new the only problem it had was 1. It cost 200 dollars for a mouse keyboard,harddrive (i think it was either 20 or 40 GB),network adapter  and the linux CD, 2. It had a limited usage for people. 3. You can only buy it through Sony's playstation website.

So I think Kutaragi is trying to make what failed to something what can possibly be passable by not isolating it to one special kit and make it more mainstream. Because the the two biggest failures with the PS2 is the linux kit and hard drive.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 07:12:26 AM »
The PS2 Linux kit merely existed to get it recognized as a computer by law and pay lower duties when importing into the EU.