Author Topic: I Just Saw StarWars...  (Read 15826 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: I Just Saw StarWars...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »

Was the tentacle thing in the trash compactor explained?

ARRRG I CAN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 03:46:14 PM »
also upon inspection of the looking at the deathstar..that could have been when luke was a kid..theres no time reference on that scene.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »
I thought Ep III was way better than I expected.

Exceptions
1. The light-switch turn of Anakin to the dark side.
2. Vader's cliched "Noooooooo!" upon hearing of Padme's fate. I shudder.
3. General Grievous was useless, I believe that Darth Maul should have been the main evil focus until Anakin became Sidious' apprentice. Obviously this would have affected Dooku aswell.
4. C-3PO, Chewbacca were token appearances.
5. etc

Speaking on the 'mystery' of the universe discussion, I like not knowing, eg about Boba Fett. Finding out about his back story reduces some of the mystique.

I loved the spirit netherealm story. It comes full circle with Obi-Wan's "If you strike me down Darth" line in Ep IV

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:I Just Saw StarWars...
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »
The second death star was begun before the fist one was destroyed.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

...Was the tentacle thing in the trash compactor explained?...

DIANOGA! That's what the thing is called.

And it's "Wampa" not "Wompa". My mistake.

"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »
...Was the tentacle thing in the trash compactor explained?...

NO

There werea few scenes that weren't necessary, like the Wookies fighting that didn't have a bearing on the plot is what I meant.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 08:19:24 PM »
The Death Star Thing:

First they foreshadow this in episode 2 but more importantly in episode 4 Vader clearly says, "They'll be no one to stop us this time."  This was in the first 5mins of the movie so one has to assume that something happened to set the empire back in some way, shape or form before the events of A New Hope. Also the opening crawl speaks of a Rebel victory against the Galactic Empire. So can we equate this to maybe the Rebels placed the completion of said Death Star back by a few. Besides, the Empire was fresh (at the end of sith) and there was still a Galactic Senate until Ep.4 so it was probably not as easy to build such a thing or so quickly.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 03:29:11 AM »
I thought the quote "No one will stop us this time" was in reference to the trouble that Vadar had to go through in his efforts to chase down the death star plans. Not to the fact that some one sabotaged the Death Star. Besides, how the hell can you sabotage anything that big.

Ep 4-6 Took about 5 Years and it has always been assumed that construction of the second death star started right after the first one was destroyed. I mean what would you do with two Death Stars. Also remember that the second Death Star wasn't completed. It was only about half built but operational. It was also a "Mark II" Death Star as the first one couldn't target Starships therefore had normal anti-starship Turbo Lasers to kill those, which as a side effect could hit fighters for thier lives.

The time between Ep 3-4 should have only have been 10 years at most, not 20.

The Emporer kept the Senate to maintain control of the Galaxy. Also with the war he had cloned troops on every planet in control of key installations.

But it has to be said the the prequals just don't work right and the originals, uncut are better movies anyway you cut it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 11:27:09 AM »
I can't believe I'm about to get into a discussion about Star Wars.

I liked the movie, in fact I liked all of the new movies, but I'm not a hardcore Star Wars fan.  I also noticed the consistency issues with the Death Star and with Vader basically taking out the entire Jedi in one night...but in the latter case, although Lucas unfortunately implied that Obi Wan and Yoda were the only ones left, he left it open-ended enough.  They wouldn't have gone to the trouble of reversing the message coming from the Jedi headquarters if there wasn't a chance that some were left, and it's unecessary for the movie to show Darth Vader hunting down each remaining Jedi.

I agree that Anakin's "turning" seemed a little abrupt, but I didn't find it totally unbelievable.  Perhaps it could have been more believable if he had actually gotten into a full-blown fight with Mace Windu and done the killing himself, but I can't think of a better moment in the movie for it to happen, and there wasn't a lot of time to keep on developing his turn to the Dark Side.

My personal pet peeves were:
- Darth Vader's "NOOOOOO!"  something about the scene was off...I think it was his body language.  But I have to say, I liked how James Earl Jones delivered the other lines from that scene.  It really felt like there was still a hint of the young, emotional, and naive Anakin left.
- Yoda saying he was going into exile...just leave that line out, it was explained well enough when they were deciding what to do with the babies.
- The Chewbacca name-dropping, again, just leave it out.  People would have more fun guessing, and less whining too.

Oh, and one little thing from Episode II that came back to haunt Episode III.  Why on earth did the Jedi decide to use the clone army anyway?  I guess after using it reliably for a few years one might start to get comfortable with it, but Obi-Wan seemed freaked out by them in Episode II and there were plenty of reasons not to trust the clones.

Enough negativity!  I still really liked it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »
Yeah, one thing that weirded me out was the end of the movie, when suddenly Death Star and all those Imperial Death Star guys.  It's like, coming out of nowhere.

And I still like General Grievous a lot, even if he wasn't "necessary".  It makes sense for someone like that to lead the army.  I mean Hell, I don't think Darth Maul could even talk.  He was a puppet, and I thought that was a cool idea.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2005, 03:38:25 AM »
I believe that Darth Maul had one line in Ep. 1. Something equivalent to "Yes master."
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2005, 03:42:49 AM »
Yeah i just saw this..........wel two nights ago. I found the transition from Anakin to Vader far too swift.....Who just swears allegiance to evil that quickly. I also found the droids incredibly annoying (especially R2)...

Also while drinking a can of Schweppes Lermonade and noticed this

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Pretty Mad in my opinion...
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »
My main problems have already been stated, but I'll voice them again here.  The biggest issue I have is the inconsistency with Padme's death in childbirth.  Leia remembered her mother, and Vader remarked that "your mother did well to hide her from me".  Both lines reference Padme living a few years after the children were born.

The whole development of Anakin throughout these films really bothers me.  We saw very little of him as a hero.  He was a conceited disrespectful brat in Episode II, and there are a whole slew of things I could get into with that film.  In this one though, we see him wavering between the dark and light, but his final turn doesn't really make sense.  He actually seems to realize that the Emperor is wrong, but then just kind of shrugs and goes along with it.

The "kill them all" command from Palpatine also seems to contradict dialogue in the originals that indicate Vader betrayed and hunted down the Jedi personally, plus it turned every nameless Jedi into mindless cannon fodder.  I'm sure Lucas feels he left enough wiggle room to say that Vader hunted down the rest of the survivors between three and four though.

So yeah, I've enjoyed these films okay, but I can't help shake the urge to rewrite them and say "this is how it really happened".
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »
hmm....well the pacing fo the three didnt really work out..i can imagine a much cooler version of what happened..and mybe someday someone iwll remake star wars completely.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2005, 08:20:09 PM »
"I've enjoyed these films okay, but I can't help shake the urge to rewrite them and say 'this is how it really happened'."

Everyone does.  Pretty much anyone I've talked to has their own ideas of what they would do.

"your mother did well to hide her from me"

Actually I think it's "Obi-Wan did well to hide her from me".  The Leia thing is still inconsistent though.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
I actually don't think Anikin turned dark abruptly: he tried to uphold the Jedi values but wound up disobeying the top Jedi and indirectly KILLING HIM.  He knew he wasn't trusted before--obviously he would be in trouble.  He decides it is his fate to join the Emperor, so he just shrugs and accepts it.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »
It was a decent movie if you're a fan of the series, but its not very well "self-contained". There's no real ending to the movie, it just kind of cuts out when they run out of decent stuff that fits in the storyline.

Its like that old Kids in the Hall sketch... no beginning, no ending, its all middle.

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »
Maybe Leia has a really good memory because of her force influence?  Or maybe Leia has a bad memory, and is combining photos with her actual childbirth and making her own memories ofher mother.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2005, 09:12:21 AM »
I think Leia is remembering Organa, her adopted mother.

Have you guys gone back and watched the old movies since watching Sith?  There are a lot of things that really tie in.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2005, 09:31:47 AM »
"I think Leia is remembering Organa, her adopted mother."

I think George Lucas is just an idiot.  If we have to say "maybe" or "I think" to make a plot consistent then that means the writer f*cked up.  The guy edited the original films to make them "fit" better with the prequels.  Why would he have to do that?  He's made the prequels with full knowledge of what happens in the later films.  Anyone with half a brain would have made the prequels consistent and thus would not have to edit the originals.

In Return of the Jedi Leia remembers her real mother.  That's how it was obviously intended at the time and that's how it is.  If the Revenge of the Sith isn't consistent with that then it's because Lucas is a hack.  In my opinion the original unaltered trilogy is the real Star Wars and if the prequels contradict anything it's because the prequels are WRONG.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2005, 05:31:44 PM »
What about (between 1 and 2) Anakin going from small, precocious child to angst-ridden teen while Padme barely aged at all by comparison. Nevermind that as a small child he was able to lust after her to begin with, if they'd insisted on an older actress for Padme in the last two movies, some 30-something, maybe they wouldn't have felt the need to focus on their mooning little love affair on Naboo in the second movie. Or if they did, it would've taken on a much creepier and by extension less insipid vibe.

Also, considering the nature of how Palpatine turned him to the darkside, wouldn't hiding Luke with Vader's only surviving relatives be a questionable move? Wasn't one of the perks of the darkside the ability to keep ties with one's family? Considering all the Jedi (besides Yoda and Obi-Wan) are apparently dead by the end of the movie, surely Vader needs to do something to kill time over the next couple of decades. Maybe episode 3.5 involves Vader popping in on Uncle Owen in about 5 years and them making Luke hide in the closet?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 05:00:46 AM »
StarWars is whatever George Lucas says they are. With that being said the biggest problem I have is with Anakin knowing how to give himself to the force without the teachings of Qui-Gon, Yoda or Obi-Wan. Maybe There is something I'm am missing or it's to be explained at a later date. Either or I think it's a preety big mis. The Leia remembering her mother isn't that big of a deal to me. She is just better at that part of using the force than Luke, no big deal.

With all the hype over for me and looking back on all six moives, and being of sound mind and body, I can say that StarWars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is the best movie of the saga, followed very closely by Empire. I know I know, I'm crazy and I must have never seen the OT in the movies(which I have) to say such blasphemy. So go head on Jonny Storm me...  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 06:01:18 AM »
Yeah... You get an F in movie-watching...
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 07:24:00 AM »
"I can say that StarWars Episode II: Revenge of the Sith is the best movie of the saga, followed very closely by Empire."

I'm curious as to why you feel it's the best.  I figure that the superior acting, writing, and directing in Empire and Jedi alone would disqualify any of the prequels as being considered the best.

I would consider the original trilogy to be better just because all three are exceptional movies.  Episode III is merely decent, II just plain sucks, and I is average at best.  

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »
Never has any of the previous movies OT or PT dragged me in like Sith did. I felt hat movie, as much as I felt Gladiator. It was like a Greek Tragedy knowing the end just made the movie that much better. I guess I really related to Anakin in which so much was expected of him, so many people pulling him in different directions , good, evil, love and hate. The way Palpatine just played the Jedi from the gate was just awesome! Yoda was as good a Yoda there can be (fighting that is, not thinking). The Purge of the Jedi was some major tear jerking stuff. It all seemed right. But all those things alone didn't push it past Empire. It was the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader on Mustafar. When Obi-Wan said what he said about those two being like brothers and how he loved him, the pain in their faces pushed it past ESB. The acting seemed on par with Empire. The writing was just as good through my eyes. And the directing was near what I expected expected (I felt some things should have been flushed out a bit as well as the fights should have been a bit longer but perhaps the DVD will suffice).

One thing you must understand about Nile Boogie is I am not cynical by any stretch. I can enjoy stuff life movies and games just on a topical level. It's fun for me to dig deep into certain parts to find little meanings and links to undercover or unspoken looks, but I will never "overstand" movies and try to place my vision through another lens. I have music for that.

P.S. I really liked the first two, flaws and all so what else could you expect from a cat like me.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130