Author Topic: Monster Tale DS  (Read 1356 times)

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
Monster Tale DS
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
Did this game just fly right by everyone's radar?  Made by the same team that made Henry Hatsworth, another amazing game you need to own.  Picked this up on a friend's recommendation.  So good.  Here's the story:

You play as Ellie, a young girl who gets magically warped to a different world.  Upon arriving, she finds an egg which hatches into a monster, which Ellie names Chomp.

The game plays a combination of Metroid, Henry Hatsworth, and any RPG with a skill tree system.  Metroid style maps and areas that are blocked off until you have the skill to proceed.  The combat is HH style, a melee attack with a launcher, and a combo system that smashes out better rewards for a higher combo count.  Sometimes enemies drop items like cookies, barbells, scrolls, soccer balls, and so on.  Chomp can move between the two screens, the top one to fight with you and the bottom one to eat the items you've found.

Chomp can consume items on the lower screen to gain experience and stats.  After a while, he'll level-up gaining newer stats and stuff.  Eventually, you can evolve him into different forms (based on fire, water, and leafs with the expected strength->weaknesses).  You can also move Chomp between evolutions to best suit the situation.  Any abilities and skills he masters in one form can be used in other forms.

Anyways, hopefully you've read this and are willing to give the game a shot.  You'll probably be just as surprised at the quality of the game as I was.  Give it a shot.

Here's a quick gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4gLleFUa0k
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Tale DS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
I still have Hatsworth in my backlog...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:44:40 PM »
As a huge fan of Hatsworth I was really excited for this, but it got a fairly disappointing reaction from the people on staff here who played it, and then it came out right before the 3DS, which overshadowed it. Honestly, I completely forgot about the game until Jonny mentioned it on last week's RFN.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
Well, I'm only a few hours in but so far so good.  I'll keep the updates a comin'.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988