Author Topic: Nintendo World Report is Hiring!  (Read 11828 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Nintendo World Report is Hiring!
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
We're looking for a few good staffers.  Do you think you have what it takes to work with the best?  Inquire within!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13440

The hiring period has expired.  Applications are no longer being accepted.  Thanks to everyone who applied, and good luck!    

Nintendo World Report wants you!  We're looking for some fresh talent to take NWR to the next level in the video game news and   information world, and we know there are a lot of people out there who are motivated enough to help make it happen.  Are you one   of them?    

Working at NWR requires the same effort and dedication that previous and current staffers have had to bring the site to where it   is today.  Serious dedication is a prerequisite, as is a good amount of free time.  For all positions, it is important to know that   all staff of Nintendo World Report work on a non-paid, volunteer basis only.  It's hard work, but we do it because we love   it, and because there are hundreds of thousands of people who rely on us for their every Nintendo need!    

Interested parties should carefully read the listings below and follow the instructions to apply.  Serious applicants only,   please.  The last day to submit an application is now Friday, June 1.    

Open positions:
 Staff Writer
 Japan Correspondent
 Australia Correspondent    

Staff Writer    

NWR Staff Writers make up the heart of site.  They are collectively responsible for creating the bulk of NWR content, including   news stories, preview coverage, hands-on impressions, game reviews, and site features assigned by section editors.  Staff writers   also update game profiles with screen shots and current release information for multiple regions.  The regular   workload for a Staff Writer is approximately one major article, a handful of news stories, and various site maintenance duties per   week, although that number can vary depending on game and event coverage.  All work is expected to be completed in a timely   manner.  Prior writing experience is preferred, but not necessary.    

Persons interested in the Staff Writer position must:    

- Be knowledgeable of Nintendo and Nintendo games
 - Read and write fluently in the English language
 - Possess strong writing skills and enthusiasm to improve them
 - Write critically and accept criticism and suggestions from NWR editors
 - Bring creativity and fresh ideas to the site
 - Be a trustworthy individual who can complete tasks without constant supervision
 - Communicate well with others and attend online meetings whenever possible    

Although not necessary for application, the following would be very helpful:    

- Live in the greater Los Angeles or San Francisco areas
 - Be knowledgeable of all current video games, regardless of platform
 - Be knowledgeable of classic video games and game history
 - Be able to edit audio and video files    

Applicants based anywhere in the United States or Canada may apply, but priority will be given to candidates in the Los Angeles   and San Francisco areas, due to their proximity to game companies.    

Interested applicants should send an email to ---- with the subject line "Staff Writer Application Submission".  Resumes may be   submitted, but are not required.  Include the following information in your application:    

- Your name
 - Your age
 - Your location (city, state)
 - Previous writing experience, if any
 - A summary of your gaming experience
 - How many hours a week you could dedicate fully to the site if hired
 - Why you are interested in this position    

Interested applicants must also submit one of the following writing samples as email attachments:    

- An original, informative news story based off of a press release released in the previous four weeks
 OR
 - A review of a game for a Nintendo platform released in the last six months, following the NWR review format and guidelines    

Japan Correspondent    

Nintendo World Report's Japanese arm has many duties and responsibilities.  Besides covering game events and new Japanese game   releases, the Japan Correspondent assists the news staff with the latest from Japanese game magazines and other translation   duties.  The Japan Correspondent also helps the release dates/game profile editor with game information from the Japanese   region.  Japan Correspondents will also be called upon to write game articles and update news, much like a regular Staff   Writer.  No prior experience necessary!    

Persons interested in the Japan Correspondent position must:    

- Live in Japan for most of or all of the year
 - Read and write fluently in the English language
 - Read fluently in the Japanese language and be able to quickly translate Japanese documents into English
 - Be able to play and write about Japanese games on a frequent basis
 - Be able to access and report on news from Japanese gaming publications
 - Be able to attend and cover Japanese gaming events and publisher press events
 - Keep tabs on upcoming/current Japanese releases and CERO game ratings

Although not necessary for application, the following would be helpful:    

- Own a Japanese Wii system and a Nintendo DS
 - Be knowledgeable of classic video games and game history, especially Japanese games
 - Live in or have easy access to the Tokyo area    

Interested applicants should send an email to ---- with the subject line "Japan Correspondent Application Submission".    Resumes may be submitted, but are not required.  Include the following information in your application:    

- Your name
 - Your age
 - Your primary location in Japan (city)

Interested applicants must also submit one of the following writing samples as email attachments:    

- An original, informative news story based off of a Japanese magazine article from the previous four weeks
 OR
 - A review of a game for a Nintendo platform released in Japan in the last six months, following the NWR review format and guidelines    

Australia Correspondent    

The Nintendo World Report Australia Correspondent gives our readers the down-under perspective of the gaming world.  Our Aussie   man (or woman!) keeps us informed of the state of things in the country by providing us game articles and coverage of key   Australian Nintendo events.  Aussie Correspondents will also be called upon to write reviews and update news, much like a regular   Staff Writer.  No prior experience necessary!    

Persons interested in the Australian Correspondent position must:    

- Live in Australia for most of or all of the year (native Aussies preferred!)
 - Be able to play and write about Australian releases on a frequent basis
 - Be able to attend and cover Australian gaming events
 - Keep tabs on upcoming/current Australian releases and OFLC game ratings

Although not necessary for application, the following would be helpful:    

- Have regular access to an NTSC region Wii and NTSC Wii games (Japanese or North American)
 - Be knowledgeable of classic video games and game history, especially from the Australian region    

Interested applicants should send an email to ---- with the subject line "Australia Correspondent Application Submission".    Resumes may be submitted, but are not required.  Include the following information in your application:    

- Your name
 - Your age
 - Your primary location in Australia (city)

Interested applicants must also submit one of  the following writing samples as email attachments:    

- An original, informative news story based off of an Australian magazine article or Australian game press release from the previous four weeks
 OR
 - A review of a game for a Nintendo platform released in Australia in the last six months, following the NWR review format and guidelines    

Thanks for applying, and good luck!

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo World Report is Hiring!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
Well, I know I'm not going for this one.  I can bet who is, though.
Kushrenada, it looks like you got your answers.

Good luck, applicants!

And you need a Nintendo Pessimist position made exclusively for Ian.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »
I'd consider it, I REALLY would, but I'm already working two full-time jobs.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo World Report is Hiring!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

I would but I would only be able to review and report news.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy

And you need a Nintendo Pessimist position made exclusively for Ian.

If they need that, I'm sure I could fill it also.

Well, I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure I'll get it because of the preferred locale. Also, I have to be knowledgeable about Nintendo. And, I just learned last week that they make video games so I have a lot of cramming to do. And then there is the nonpay thing. I still think I'll be the first to crack this barrier. Once I get elected, the first bill I'm putting forward to the Senate is a pay increase for all staff (mainly me) and an extra 30 weeks vacation. Can't wait.

But hopefully with everyone fully supporting my campaign, I can overcome the barriers, get hired and allow myself to achieve my full potential on this site. That being when I'm cited as the moment when the site jumped the shark. Alright. All aboard the Khushrenada train to victory.

By the way, my suggestion for the Japanese correspondant would be S-U-P-E-R. He seems like such a nice young man and he even lives in Japan. It would be so nice to see him hired by NWR also.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
If there was an official pessimist position, I could do in a pinch! I have worked long and hard at replicating the intricate inner workings of the minds of internet Sony and MS fanbois, and would be in the perfect position to direct those simulations upon poor, hapless, clueless, insipid Nintendo fanbois... I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:46 PM »
Wait, isn't SUPER the Japanese correspondent?  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
If there was an official pessimist position, I could do in a pinch! I have worked long and hard at replicating the intricate inner workings of the minds of internet Sony and MS fanbois, and would be in the perfect position to direct those simulations upon poor, hapless, clueless, insipid Nintendo fanbois... I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Kairon would support me for the staff position, I just know it! Now to get Pap, Evan, and Smash on board .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »
Ty is coming back to America in a few weeks, as is Ryan W., and Josh too.  That's why we need a new Japan person.

We can't hire Ian as Nintendo Pessimist because he doesn't even own a Wii.  That's kind of an unspoken requirement.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »
You and your fancy lawyer jargon, Johnny!

One day I shall have my revenge...

I always lose out on the loopholes.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »
If NWR will pay for my expenses, I'll move to Japan.

Also, if Super is coming back, does that mean my GameBoy Light is coming soon as well?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 10:55:55 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Also, if Super is coming back, does that mean my GameBoy Light is coming soon as well?

Yeah

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 03:04:44 AM »

An original, informative news story based off of a press release released in the previous four weeks
OR
- A review of a game for a Nintendo platform released in the last six months, following the NWR review format and guidelines

I've got two questions:
1) Isn't it policy to post Press Releases as is and let the reader decide how to take it?  Thus making the first submission just a writing excercise?
2) Would it be ok if I did a Hardware Review instead?  The only reason I ask is I've been meaning to do a Reader Review of the Psyclone Wii stand for a while and I even have pictures.

Also what format would be preferred for the submissions?  I know many of the staff have Macs so a PDF would probably be most appropriate but I rather submit it using the format that is normal used to submit documents.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 04:46:27 AM »
Ceric, yes and yes.  We generally use MS Word format (even the Mac people on staff), but RTF or TXT would be fine as well.  PDFs can't be corrected like the others, so don't use that.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 05:11:35 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Yeah

Whoo-hoo!  It's a deal!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 06:41:48 AM »
I really would love to apply, but I'm not sure I would have the time to dedicate to the site. I'm also on the other side of America in NY which doesn't really align with the requirements. I guess we'll see, maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. It would be pretty awesome to secure a place on the NWR staff.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 07:25:58 AM »
So does this mean Ben is off staff or what?

EDIT: Well he's not on the staff page anymore!
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
Ben had to leave the staff about a year ago because he got a job working at an Australian game developer.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »
Quick question:  What form of Citation should be used?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »
Ooh, can't wait to find out who the new staffer's going to be.

*hopes it's someone who likes to podcast*
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »
I wish we recorded on a night other than sunday... :-/
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

You mean besides scalping Wiis?? *SHOCK!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 09:01:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Quick question:  What form of Citation should be used?

I'm not sure what you mean, but don't worry about that too much.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:01 AM »
I think he meant APA or MLA citations. He's trying to use big words to make himself seem smarter than the rest of us. But, I trust the staff won't be fooled.

psittaceous.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 03:19:29 AM »
Welp I submitted my abbreviated application.  I hope I get it.