Poll

Nintendo Systems: Which is your Favorite?

Nintendo Entertainment System
1 (7.7%)
Virtual Boy
0 (0%)
Game Boy
1 (7.7%)
Game Boy Color
0 (0%)
Game Boy Advance
3 (23.1%)
Pokémon Mini
1 (7.7%)
Nintendo 64
4 (30.8%)
Nintendo GameCube
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 08, 2010, 11:38:21 PM

Author Topic: Series Series - Wii in Third - Next Round finally up!  (Read 120504 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Series Series - Poll 1 - Round One: Zelda
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
I voted for ALttP, it's probably my favourite game of all time.  I was surprised to see someone mention that they can't stand it, in the other thread.  I really can't find any flaws with the game, so I'd like to hear an explanation.  Ian mentioned that it tends to focus too much on dungeons near the end, which I can understand.  But there are definitely lots of hidden secrets you can search for in between the dungeons, if you haven't exhausted them yet.

My next vote will definitely be LA.  It's quite similar, but different enough to be really engaging.  Proves that the series doesn't need Hyrule or the princess to still be solid.

Interesting.  You know the focus on dungeons at the end is what I think is the strongest point of the game.  You are on an adventure, that if you fail the darkness of the corrupted Golden land will pour into the normal "light" world and be ruled by darkness.  I am ok, with Link being more focused with completing that mission, than say running around to talk to people and find a giant sword or a new mask. 

The quick focus on Dungeons is also what makes it immensely more playable than other Zelda games....there is NO FILLER.  I can play the game and go through everything quickly without any boring moments.

I also enjoyed Twilight Princess.  The style was fun, and my wife thought the game was beautiful and would beg me to play it more...which is just an awesome power of great art design.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Series Series - Poll 1 - Round One: Zelda
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »
If the game isn't listed, it got Zero votes.

The Legend of Zelda (NES, GBA, GCN, VC)    - 1 (3.7%)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES, GBA, VC)    - 1 (3.7%)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, GBA, VC)    - 7 (25.9%)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX (GB/GBC)    - 4 (14.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, GCN, VC)    - 4 (14.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, GCN, VC)    - 4 (14.8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)    - 1 (3.7%)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)    - 3 (11.1%)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii)    - 2 (7.4%)
Total Members Voted: 27

Surprised by any of those numbers?

Voting will resume for second place shortly.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Couple of votes, but no comments yet.  I'll start it off.

Voted for the best game ever made again - Link's Awakening.  Should have won the first round.  Should've rigged the voting. ;)

Not surprised that Link to the Past won - figured it or Ocarina of Time would win.  I think Link to the Past wins because, while still a great game, Ocarina of Time's graphics make it look outdated - even when played on the GC/Wii in Enhanced Definition.  If Nintendo ever releases an HD console, this is one game I wouldn't mind getting a "Remastered" treatment.  In contrast, Link to the Past just flat out looks great.  I wouldn't object to a polishing of LttP using the engine from Four Swords Adventures on the 'Cube, but the game plays great as-is.

I am surprised the Majora's Mask tied with Ocarina of Time.  I'll be interested in seeing how those two play out.  Personally, I think Majora's Mask is the better of the two games, as I explained before.  Wish I could find a YouTube video of it...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Boo A Link to the Past!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Went with Link's Awakening.

I remember spending so much time with the game. There was this cool screen skipping trick that let me go further in the game than I could before. I liked the NPCs in the game and it was a shame to find out that the world wasn't real.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I am glad MM didn't win. ALTTP is a good game, although I still think TWW or TP are the best.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Link's Awakening is a good game...it is an amazing and GREAT portable game and even better Gameboy color game with DX...but it isn't Link to the Past.

In fact a few bosses were just copies from Link to the Past. 

Ocarina of Time is good but there is too much wondering around in that game doing nothing.  I really wanted to play it again, but there was so much I had to do just to be able to play the dungeons that I quickly was frustrated.  I really wanted to replay and enjoy those amazing Dungeons but couldn't.  I love to play through all the exploration once, but it is harder the second time to commit...and that is why Ocarina and Twilight Princess could never win for me.

For the second round I actually voted for GCN 4 Swords, because the concept is so awesome...and I want to see more of it.  It is a fantastic game and a great idea.  I would love to another and another so on. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The quick focus on Dungeons is also what makes it immensely more playable than other Zelda games....there is NO FILLER.

See I don't consider that stuff filler.  If anything I consider the stuff between dungeons to be an essential part of the Zelda experience.  If you just want dungeon, dungeon, dungeon, why are you playing Zelda?  If you just want sequential levels there are a million games out there with that.

A Link to the Past winning is not much of a surprise.  It's definitely a top candidate.  Second time around I voted for Link's Awakening again because, well, it's still my favourite.  I'll vote for it as long as it is still included in the polls.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Not surprised that Link to the Past won - figured it or Ocarina of Time would win.  I think Link to the Past wins because, while still a great game, Ocarina of Time's graphics make it look outdated - even when played on the GC/Wii in Enhanced Definition.

I think it's more likely that Ocarina of Time's voters were split between it and some of the other 3D Zeldas.  A Link to the Past is the pinnacle of 2D Zelda games so anyone who prefers 2D Zelda is going to go with that one.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
TP again for me.  I'm afraid I just can't vote for a 2D zelda.  I couldn't get into them.  That's why I have never finished a 2D zelda game.  I don't know why.  Weird I know...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Any specific things you didn't like about 2D Zelda?  Do you think later Zeldas are focusing more on puzzles, than before?

I'm also curious if people voting for 3D Zeldas are ones who were first introduced to the series by the 3D games?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I'm also curious if people voting for 3D Zeldas are ones who were first introduced to the series by the 3D games?
I voted for Ocarina this time, though last time I voted Link's Adventure because I didn't read the poll description and thought it was just a single poll. I played all console Zelda games in the order of release, starting with the NES ones back in the early 90's when all we had was an NES.

This is actually a really tough poll for me. I can't choose between 2D and 3d Zelda, I like them both for very different reasons. Plus, despite the similarities they share, each Zelda game is quite different. I just voted for Ocarina because I don't want Majora's Mask to win.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
This is actually a really tough poll for me. I can't choose between 2D and 3d Zelda, I like them both for very different reasons. Plus, despite the similarities they share, each Zelda game is quite different. I just voted for Ocarina because I don't want Majora's Mask to win.

That's kind of why I have the results hidden - I think people should vote for their own, personal favorite of the options given - not try to strategically vote other games out.

It's interesting that no one seems to vote for Master Quest - it's OoT, but better, right?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I've never played Master Quest so I can't comment.

And don't worry, Ocarina is my favourite of the 3D Zelda games. It's just, comparing it to the 2D ones... yeah, I can't really do that.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile

No, I played the 2D ones years before the Ocarina of Time ever came out but I find the 3D Zelda's better then the 2D ones.  Now I still love the 2D Zelda's but I feel that the series became better when it went into 3D.  This is because the puzzles are my favorite part of Zelda games and I feel that with 3D, the puzzles are more creative and fun then they are in 2D.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
It's interesting that no one seems to vote for Master Quest - it's OoT, but better, right?

I think all I ended up doing in Master Quest was beating the Deku Tree.  The remixed dungeons weren't enough for me for it to not feel like I was just playing OoT again.  I haven't played it enough to give it a fair assessment.  It's for people that like to beat games multiple times.  I wonder if people don't vote for it because most don't see it as it's own game.  I see it more like an extra mode added to the Cube version of OoT.  The Cube version is like Ocarina of Time DX.

I can't see myself voting for Four Swords because I've never played it.  Since I already owned A Link to the Past I wasn't going to buy it again for a multiplayer game that I would require my friends to also buy.  At least Four Swords Adventures had the option to play it solo.  They probably should have included it with Minish Cap.  Nintendo included the same Mario Bros multiplayer in every Mario GBA game (avoiding ports I finally got it with Mario & Luigi) and made it so you could even play with different titles.  Why couldn't they have done the same with Four Swords?  Getting my friends to buy a NEW Zelda game would have been easy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Master Quest is no more its own game than the second quest of the original Zelda is, and in a lot of ways it's less distinct than that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile

Master Quest is...interesting, but its dungeon puzzle designs (which are the only things about it different than Ocarina of Time) are nowhere near as well designed as Ocarina's.  Frankly, I don't see how it merits a separate entry on these polls, because it cannot stand alone independent of Ocarina's experience.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile

Master Quest is...interesting, but its dungeon puzzle designs (which are the only things about it different than Ocarina of Time) are nowhere near as well designed as Ocarina's.  Frankly, I don't see how it merits a separate entry on these polls, because it cannot stand alone independent of Ocarina's experience.

You know, I thought about it - over and over - before creating this thread.  I ended up using it because about 75% of Ocarina of Time was the dungeons and the all-new dungeons was a major revision for the game.  Unlike Link's Awakening, where everything was pretty much the same (aside from one, fairly lame, dungeon and some minor bonus material or the first Zelda/Second Quest where the overworld is virtually the same but consists of a very large portion of the game.

At least Four Swords Adventures had the option to play it solo.  They probably should have included it with Minish Cap.  Nintendo included the same Mario Bros multiplayer in every Mario GBA game (avoiding ports I finally got it with Mario & Luigi) and made it so you could even play with different titles.  Why couldn't they have done the same with Four Swords?

As for solo play - Four Swords wouldn't have been enjoyable single player - it's just not a single player game.  That's not to say it couldn't have been developed into a single-player game, but, as it is, it's no where near where it would need to be.

As for including it with Minish Cap - I don't know why they didn't.  I had really expected to see it on there when Minish Cap was first announced - even more so, since the game directly ties into the Four Swords storyline.

Anywhoo, Ian - I've got four copies of LttP/FS and Four Game Boy Players.  Come over some time. :)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Any specific things you didn't like about 2D Zelda?  Do you think later Zeldas are focusing more on puzzles, than before?

I don't know why. I was first introduced to LTTP but I'm afraid I couldn't get into it.  In fact it turned me off Zelda.  Then this same friend showed me OoT.  It grabbed me instantly.  I can't exactly say what it is about the 3D that did it.

I have since tried LTTP again, I have tried Minish Cap.  But I didn't have any desire to finish them.  I still don't.  TP on the other hand I have played through many times and am always happy to do so again.  Same with OoT.  I have never played MM due to the fact my 64 didn't have an expansion pack. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Vote for your favorite (or second-best favorite!) now - voting in this round ends tonight.  We're seven votes short of last round's total and that's a big enough number that virtually any game could win this.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I went with Twilight Princess this time. It perfected the Ocarina of Time style game place, I urge people to vote for it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
And a very well deserved second place finish for the greatest damn game ever made - Link's Awakening!

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX (GB/GBC)    - 6 (30%)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, GCN, VC)    - 4 (20%)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, GCN, VC)    - 4 (20%)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)    - 1 (5%)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GCN)    - 1 (5%)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii)- 4 (20%)

Round three coming soon!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I find it a little odd that games that got votes the first round were completely ignored this round.  The original, II, Oracle of Ages and Wind Waker were all voted for in the first round - yet none of them had a single vote this time.  Only someone shifted toward a new title, Four Swords Adventures.  Perhaps a die-hard Link to the Past fan?

I honestly didn't expect Link's Awakening to places this early.  I know it's the best game ever made and it's my personal favorite (and, I recall, Miyamoto's favorite at one point) - but I know a lot of people just don't seem to get the charm it has.

Also interesting - while a 2D Zelda won the first and second rounds, the 3D games really dominated this time.  Aside from the single FSA vote, Link's Awakening was the only non-3D game anyone voted for.

I've voted for my favorite of the 3D Zeldas now, Majora's Mask.  This game scores higher than Link to the Past does for me and seems to have some support behind it, tying for second place both times.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Just want to inform you that the results of the current poll are being displayed.  If you did this on purpose, well never mind.