Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 411633 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1
« Reply #1300 on: March 19, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
Also, I'm very surprised that the PS4 is so small and compact. With all that powerful hardware, you'd expect it to be put in a bigger box with plenty of ventilation. The Xbox One is in a big box with plenty of airflow, tons of vents, and a huge fan to prevent overheating. Smart move by Microsoft.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 31, 2014, 02:12:27 AM »
Got my system last Thursday.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
Grats.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 21, 2014, 06:47:15 PM »
PS4 has now outsold the lifetime sales of the Wii U.  That certainly didn't take long.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 24, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Sony has the advantage over Microsoft because they let users easily replace the hard drives in the PS3 and PS4, while Microsoft forces users to buy a proprietary hard drive that only works with the Xbox 360.

But then Sony had to **** all that up by using proprietary memory cards in the Vita, when they could have easily used normal SD cards like Nintendo and the rest of the mobile industry.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:53:22 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: April 24, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
Was looking at the release list for PS4 from Gamestop and I can't say I'm excited for anything on it now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

« Reply #1306 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Sony has the advantage over Microsoft because they let users easily replace the hard drives in the PS3 and PS4, while Microsoft forces users to buy a proprietary hard drive that only works with the Xbox 360.

But then Sony had to **** all that up by using proprietary memory cards in the Vita, when they could have easily used normal SD cards like Nintendo and the rest of the mobile industry.

No it's not out of character for Sony, they don't use SD cards in any of their stuff it's always proprietary that is a big part of their business. The original PSP didn't use SD cards either.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 24, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
No it's not out of character for Sony, they don't use SD cards in any of their stuff it's always proprietary that is a big part of their business. The original PSP didn't use SD cards either.
Sony using proprietary formats is my number 1 reason why i always try to avoid their products. I had a VERY bad experience with their video camera, where i couldn't extract any footage from because it used their own format.

Same with Walkmans and their audio ATRAC format. There are HUNDREDS of closed formats that Sony tried to push into common use.

Hate this policy.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »
Me too, Sony is so stubborn. Pretty much every product uses SD cards, but Sony is greedy and wants to try to milk even more money from consumers. Like with the PSP, why should I have to pay for their overpriced Memory Stick Pro Duos that no one but Sony uses when I can get a SD card for a fraction of the price?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 25, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
Was looking at the release list for PS4 from Gamestop and I can't say I'm excited for anything on it now.

Have to agree.  Most of my gaming time for my PS4 has been on games I got on PS+, which out of those Resogun has been dominating my time.  The other PS+ offerings for PS4 (Contrast, Don't Starve, Outlast, Dead Nation, Mercenary Kings) don't exactly leap out as compelling games, but they at least provide a library to spend time dabbling in.

I'm looking forward to Destiny later this year, but other than that, I'm planning on it being there primarily for my 3rd party gaming machine until Sony starts churning more games besides inFamous (which was a bit too thin, unfortunately) that i'm interested in.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 28, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
This weekend I was lamenting that the PS4 didn't have BC because I wanted to play a game on my Vita...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 28, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
This weekend I was lamenting that the PS4 didn't have BC because I wanted to play a game on my Vita...

Or it would at least have been nice if they had figured-out off-tv play directly from the PS3. 

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 28, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Me too, Sony is so stubborn. Pretty much every product uses SD cards, but Sony is greedy and wants to try to milk even more money from consumers. Like with the PSP, why should I have to pay for their overpriced Memory Stick Pro Duos that no one but Sony uses when I can get a SD card for a fraction of the price?
This seems to no longer be the case.  I have a Sony camcorder that has no MS Pro Duo slot and does have a spot for SD cards.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1313 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:14 PM »
Sony has moved to more standardized formats with their cameras.  Most likely because they have to compete with a larger market…and consumer friendly storage is a selling point.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 29, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »
Sony has moved to more standardized formats with their cameras.  Most likely because they have to compete with a larger market…and consumer friendly storage is a selling point.

Why have they not translated this logic into their handhelds? The lack of SD card support is the big reason as to why the Vita ultimately failed. They do make Sony branded SD cards, so why are they not usable in the Vita? They charge for their own memory cards to get back some of the money it takes to produce the OLED screen for the Vita, but then again the Vita 2000 should have an SD card slot. I would buy three 32 GB SD cards for the price of their one 32 GB proprietary cards.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1315 on: April 29, 2014, 03:13:04 AM »
Because it is a different division...and they think they can make extra profits with memory cards.  Same reason why every console creates a new controller. 

Also, professional business is quite different than entertainment business.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 29, 2014, 03:30:42 AM »
Sony doesn't have to directly compete with other manufacturers selling Vitas with SD card slots. Proprietary memory cards are a lot easier to sell for proprietary hardware.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 10, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »

Picked MLB today and Knack should be coming in the mail monday
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #1318 on: May 31, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
I was at Walmart and they had plenty in stock so I am assuming the shortages are over. I also saw several copies of Watch Dogs, I guess I wasn't paying attention I thought it came out next month so I will have to pick it up next week. I decided to hold off on getting any new console for the time being, starting a new job that requires my vehicle to be in top shape so I might need to set some money back for that just in case.

I do have one question, does anyone know when PS Now is supposed to be launching and/or is there a thread for PS Now yet because if not I would like to start one but I am not sure because it seems all things PS4 are buried in this monster thread.

Offline mysticgohan

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 03, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
It's supposed  to launch sometime in the summer I have the beta for ps4, it works pretty well, but there's only 20 games on beta and none are popular games or anything noteworthy.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 03, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
Sony doesn't have to directly compete with other manufacturers selling Vitas with SD card slots. Proprietary memory cards are a lot easier to sell for proprietary hardware.

Yet PS4 and Wii U use normal hard drives, and 3DS uses normal SD cards. Those devices are still proprietary.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »

Yet PS4 and Wii U use normal hard drives, and 3DS uses normal SD cards. Those devices are still proprietary.

The fact that they can get away with doing it that way doesn't mean that everyone necessarily will.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #1322 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »

The PS4 and Wii U both compete with other devices in the same hardware class, I think it was mentioned Vita does not. Also until recently game consoles did use proprietary memory cards so that is not nothing new. Plus hard drives have been around much longer than memory cards, they have been more or less standard in their current form since the friggin 80's memory cards only became somewhat sorta standard but not really recently. SD is still not the fucking standard anyways, some cameras and devices use micro SD or even XD and for a time there were plenty of other options. Also have you ever heard of APPLE **** they don't support anything "industry standard" why do they get a free pass but Sony gets ****?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
Microsoft required proprietary hard drives on the Xbox 360. There were ways around that, but they voided your warranty.

There are a couple different reasons why Sony might want to go with a proprietary solution with the Vita and not the PS4. Accessories tend to be designed to have a much higher profit margin than most other gaming-related products, which would be good for Sony to recoup some of the significant loss they were likely taking early on with the Vita and also as an incentive for retailers to actually carry a device Sony likely knew would probably be fairly niche and would have a high number of users that wouldn't actually buy physical games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
Sony is the KING of failed proprietary storage formats. They used to think the Sony brand was so hot that you would buy into whatever storage format their hardware decided to support this decade.

The thing is that SD has won the war, but there are far too many other companies still holding onto smaller formats just because. The Vita would probably be doing better right now if Sony wasn't trying to rape it's customer base with proprietary SD cards that cost twice as much as SD cards.
When tons of people have SD cards laying around from previous devices that they don't use anymore, no one wants to buy an expensive new format that they can only use on this one device, that has the same amount of space as the SD card you have laying around for 2 years now that you bought for $25.
(and the reasoning that Insano gave regarding retailers)

Apple gets away with it because Apple is a tech culture that constrains you into their ecosystem where the storage that it comes with is all you get. You want more, upgrade, or put it in the cloud. It's the apple way, and apple users just accept that for what it is, because they love Apple.

The reason that consoles until recently (6 years?) used proprietary mem cards was that profit margins were higher, HDD's & storage was expensive, there was no standard storage format that everyone already had laying around, and proprietary meant that you could only use it with that hardware (no hacking by the average consumer). Since the boom of Android, everyone and their mother has an SD card or two around the house. it makes $19.99 for some mem card that hold 30 saves seem quite expensive by comparison, especially if I can just use the one in my phone, that I've also used in my camera and my computer.