Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 411626 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - (Pics inside)
« Reply #1050 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »
@ Ceric

Good to hear.

I have to say, I'm pretty psyched to have a new console on the horizon. Buying that Wii all those years ago feels like a lifetime ago.

It will also be only the second non-Nintendo console I've ever owned (with the first being the original Xbox). Exciting times.

Gouge away.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »
@ Ceric

Good to hear.

I have to say, I'm pretty psyched to have a new console on the horizon. Buying that Wii all those years ago feels like a lifetime ago.

It will also be only the second non-Nintendo console I've ever owned (with the first being the original Xbox). Exciting times.

Wow really? What led you to choose the PS4.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »

Wow really? What led you to choose the PS4.
That's kind of a difficult question to answer. Firstly, I feel like I need to explain why the Wii U never seemed like a viable option for me.

Over the course of the Wii's lifespan I became dissatisfied with Nintendo and their inability to meet my appetite for games (both in terms of quantity and breadth of software), something which I feel was exacerbated by the very obvious limitations of the hardware itself. Put simply, I became increasingly frustrated with how oblivious Nintendo had become to what was happening in the rest of the industry. It seems to me that with the Wii Nintendo walked into a technological cul de sac and in so doing separated themselves from their competitors and from the tastes and expectations of a large proportion of gamers. The Wii was certainly a short-term success, but longer term I feel it will prove to have been detrimental. Nothing I have seen of Wii U has led me to believe that this trajectory is likely to change.

As I've said many times before, I really don't have any brand loyalty. My commitment to Nintendo consoles has always been conditional.

Xbox One was a consideration, but for me Sony has just made a more convincing case that their platform will suit my tastes. Although I've only ever appreciated it from afar, I really love what Sony has done with Playstation Plus. I dig their apparent renewed commitment to Indie games, and I've also always felt that Sony have the capacity (if not always the will) to get behind quirky games in a way that Microsoft might not.

I will, however, admit that historically I've never really enjoyed those games which Playstation fans hold dear. I hate Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Crash Bandicoot, and have never played the likes of Ico, Shadows of the Colossus, or Heavy Rain.

To be perfectly honest, much of why I'm choosing PS4 is based on speculation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:05:38 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 21, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
I don't think any gamer has true brand loyalty, if they did we would all be playing Atari, Coleco, and Magnavox consoles and Nintendo would still be 3rd party only.

Why I am teetering is the same reasons mentioned, the games drought on Wii U is a turn off and the fear it won't improve much. PS4 appeals to me because it does more than just plays current gen games, it is also a true media hub and with my worthless Google TV no longer getting any official support and my cheap ass Roku crapping out on me, and my five year old profile 1.1 Blu Ray player not able to play every movie that comes out, I am in a desperate need for a more universal media machine. At this point I am also considering a Ps3 just cuz it is cheaper but also cuz it has a strong library of games but the price is still unbelieveably high for such an old console.

The game that has me most excited now is watch Dogs but I could get that on my laptop if I want to play it on low to medium settings.

I don't think Sony can achieve PS1/2 sales but I think they will be stronger than PS3 sales out the gate. Especially since they aren't really trying to push Blu Ray so the price is much more realistic.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1054 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
If the games are good i'll buy it, i did skip PS3 so hopefully sony will pull me back!
Made you look ****.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »
I don't think any gamer has true brand loyalty, if they did we would all be playing Atari, Coleco, and Magnavox consoles and Nintendo would still be 3rd party only.

Why I am teetering is the same reasons mentioned, the games drought on Wii U is a turn off and the fear it won't improve much. PS4 appeals to me because it does more than just plays current gen games, it is also a true media hub and with my worthless Google TV no longer getting any official support and my cheap ass Roku crapping out on me, and my five year old profile 1.1 Blu Ray player not able to play every movie that comes out, I am in a desperate need for a more universal media machine. At this point I am also considering a Ps3 just cuz it is cheaper but also cuz it has a strong library of games but the price is still unbelieveably high for such an old console.

The game that has me most excited now is watch Dogs but I could get that on my laptop if I want to play it on low to medium settings.

I don't think Sony can achieve PS1/2 sales but I think they will be stronger than PS3 sales out the gate. Especially since they aren't really trying to push Blu Ray so the price is much more realistic.

I dunno from what I gather from Gonintendo and Nintendolife there's alot of loyalty for Nintendo and even the mention of the other console makers get you skewered.

My chocies probably mirror yours Pixels.

A big factor was me was looking at the past year of Wii U games and looking at this fall and there's is I repeat only one Online enabled game. It shows nintendo doesn't get it when they're trying to push how awesome the Nintendo Network/Miiverse in but doesn't have any games that directly use it. Hell you'd think with the RTS/Moba boom Pikmin 3 online play would be a no brainer.

[/size][size=78%]Hell I'm not the biggest online gamer but I do play one game on the regular and usually dip my toe into others. Not having anything other than Monster Hunter till next year doesn't seem like Nintendo learned from the Wii.  [/size]

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 29, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
I cancelled my preorder this week.  As much as I look forward to the Playstation 4, I came to realize the one game I truly want the system for, inFamous, doesn't come out until February.  Trying to learn my lesson after making the same mistake with the Wii U - wait until there are enough compelling games to justify the purchase.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »
I wanna get Killzone, B4, CoD:G, and Knack. :3

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 30, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »
I wanna get Killzone, B4, CoD:G, and Knack. :3

I'm getting Killzone and Knack at launch, plus probably some digital stuff. Couldn't care less about Battlefield and Scooby Duty.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
New OS screenshots

Looks good.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:33:13 AM by shingi_70 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1060 on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
I hate the look and feel of Sony's OS.  The PS3 OS is one of the worst designed OS.  It is completely not user friendly.

Give me the Xbox 360 ad filled, or the whimsical but Nintendo OS any day.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 24, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
How is it not user friendly? It lets me do what I need to do, and very easily. I've never had a problem to do anything at all.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
I'm a big fan of the PS3 XMB interface. I don't think you could do much better on a system without any kind of touch screen or pointing device. This new one looks too much like what Microsoft's doing, which doesn't fit the control scheme at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
I agree, XMB is a great layout. It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it's way better than the current XBox 360 layout and the Xbone layout.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 25, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
I have to come in as supporting XMB as well.  I'm sad its going away but do admit that with large game and media collections it needs a little more.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: September 25, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
I agree, XMB is a great layout. It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it's way better than the current XBox 360 layout and the Xbone layout.

Ugh no. XMB is one the slickest OSs from a design standpoint but from a functionality and usability standpoint its ass.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »
How is the XMB hard to use? Everything is arranged in rows (categories), with all the subcategories in columns.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 26, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »
It's very utilitarian. It doesn't look as nice as the more elaborate interfaces Microsoft uses, but unlike those, it fits the input device it has really well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »
How is the XMB hard to use? Everything is arranged in rows (categories), with all the subcategories in columns.

That's bad design. You should be able to get through menu's and clicks in as Little time as possible.  Plus the more content you add to the system the more cumbersome XMB becomes.

Does XMB have unified search in its current form?

I really like what the PS4 UI seems to be doing. Plus the store seems to be baked into the OS instead of a separate app which gives it extra points. (my biggest problem with the Wii U)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 26, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
You want to be able to get through things efficiently and yet you want to use Metro with a gamepad?

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
Well I do agree that having a lot of content makes it a pain. Perhaps they should use thumbnails (like rows of 4) instead of stacked labels once you get like 4 things in a category. Too late now though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »
You want to be able to get through things efficiently and yet you want to use Metro with a gamepad?

Bumpers can switch between each tab pretty quickly

The Same thing can be done on games as well.

Even ignoring that I can search for anything on Xbox Live.

Even just using the sticks its less work than on the PS3.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 26, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
I've never had any problems with the XMB, honestly. Yeah, you have to spend 5 minutes learning where certain features are, but once I did I could quickly navigate to any feature of my choosing in seconds. My only real gripe with it is that the PS3's lack of available memory makes the thing almost unusable during gameplay and there's almost no multitasking capability.

So far, I'm really not sure what to think about the PS4's UI. It seems usable enough, but it also seems to value large pictures and social network B.S. over speed of access, much like the 360's Dashboard does. Maybe I'll like it better once I'm holding the controller in my hands and get a feel for it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 26, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
I need to see more pictures of the top level of the PS4 UI.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1074 on: September 26, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I think my problem with XMB is the fact it does not appear intuitive to the eye. 

Look at the screen.  icons appear above and below the main icon.  It's sloppy.  You scroll through and select something...pushing a button if it is the wrong button it doesn't work...but there is NO INDICATION of what button to push.  It's sloppy horrible design.  It isn't pleasing to the eye, but it is just barely functional.