Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 411587 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #475 on: October 12, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
Well if the system flops we can the "Orbis" the "Obits". :)

With temperature I would be concerned about something malfunctioning and getting too hot and scalding you.  But then it isn't like speakers constantly go too loud and blow your eardrums out so maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

The idea is at best a neat gimmick.  Rumble is essentially a gimmick.  You weren't really missing out on much on the N64 if you didn't have a Rumble Pack.  It certainly added to the experience but you didn't need it.  No one was going to go out and buy an N64 specifically because of rumble and no one will buy a PS4 for temperature.  It just isn't that useful of a feature.  It would be neat to feel cold in a snowy level or warm in a volcano but that's a "wow, that's cool" idea the first time and after about a month of PS4 ownership you'll just turn it off.

Now as one of many new ideas?  Then maybe you'll sell some systems.  But I think temperature would only really impress if it was on the first motion controller.  The real appeal here is virtual reality.  The Wii grabbed everyone's attention because it was a step towards virtual reality.  Temperature is a further step but it's a minor one.  The Wii looked something people had dreamed of their whole lives.  Temperature is just something you expect with virtual reality but only when you stop and think about it.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
I can look back on the rumble pack now and think "Yeah it wasn't that great, it was just rumble after all" and its certainly something we take for granted now because everyone has it, but when I remember back to my first experience with the rumble pak on Starfox, it was incredible. The vibrations were very strong and made a lot of noise during intense moments in the game. So no, I didn't need it to play the game but it transformed a good game in to a great game.

There's that quote “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” and I certainly would not have removed rumble from Star Fox if I could help it.

If Sony are going to include that temperature wand as standard on the PS4 then they are going to need one killer game to get it off the ground.

Its going to be interesting to see how Sony compete with Microsoft on the grounds of being an entertainment hub. Only 1 gimmick can sit on top of your TV, either the new Kinect or the new Move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
There wasn't a thread for it because Sony has been very tight lipped. The code name for the project might be Orbis.

PS4 - Officially Under Development (2014 release?)  < Current PS4 (Orbis) Rumor and Speculation thread

And who really wants a controller that makes your palms sweat?

and Rumble was a great addition that added immersion to games when used correctly. That is a major reason why it has stuck around for so long since it's introduction.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:33:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #478 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
I remember there being rumors about the Wii (then revolution) controllers having this functionality.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 12, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
so do I. I also remember rumors of a projector being under the flap.

If Sony were to attempt to make this the default controller of the system, and the sixaxis/dual shock from PS3 the secondary controller, I would think Sony went crazy.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 13, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »
There's no way a variant on the Move controller is going to be a main controller for Sony's next system, not after how badly Move has failed to catch on on the PS3.  I could see them having a better version of the Move ready for the PS4, but the PS4's main controller is probably going to be a Dualshock 4 or something.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »
Boomerang or bust.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
Well I think part of the reason why Move never got any traction was because only a small portion of PS3 owners were also Move owners. It was an optional accessory. If its bundled with the PS4 then it would be an entirely different situation because 100% of PS4 owners would also be owners of the new Move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
Sony should reinvent Move to be more of a detachable controller halves so that the standard controller doubles as the move remote and nunchuck.

maybe a blending of the detachable controller halves and that wiimote 2.0 concept I came up with before Wii U reveal 1+ years ago.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
if you had a fire sword and an ice sword....then it would be kinda badass
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
Sony should reinvent Move to be more of a detachable controller halves so that the standard controller doubles as the move remote and nunchuck.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.  The Dualshock 3 can already double as a "nunchuk" for the Move if you don't have a Nav controller, and it's not generally thought to be a pleasant experience.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 13, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
Take the split controller concept:

and merge with the idea of Move (add the track-able lights), but not those loli-pops, more like my idea which uses LED strips.

to create a new dual purposed controller that does both, without alienating either.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
Frankly, that looks and sounds like a terribe controller.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »

It's a Wii Remote with extra IR sensors. How is that terrible?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »

Which one? The Wiimote 2.0 concept?
or the PS4 GlowShock?

If it's the Wiimote 2.0..... then what Tendoboy said

If it's the PS4 GlowShock...
Well, the idea is intended to take advantage of the camera (PSEye) that is watching you and the ability to look and be used like a regular controller (and not a  Dildo-pop) whether being tracked or not.

Best of both worlds.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
I think to get the PS4 Glowshock to work it would have to be more ergonomic after its been split. So it would looks more like how the Move wands are right now except they can be connected together to form a more conventional controller. Down side, its going to look ugly.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
I don't think Sony would change their controller that much to make it detachable. Last time they tried they botched it; everyone hated it; and we got stuck with the same old form factor.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
I don't think Sony would change their controller that much to make it detachable. Last time they tried they botched it; everyone hated it; and we got stuck with the same old form factor.

Sony kept the same DualShock design for nostalgia reasons, the same reason why they made the Vita look exactly like a PSP.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
remember the boomerang

Sony almost tried something different....
until enthusiast/journalist opinion helped change their mind.

With MS supposedly doubling down on Kinect, Nintendo integrating the screen into their next controller and Sony having already placed their eggs in the Move basket, they might be ready to take it a step further and turn Move into a traditional controller so that everyone is using it, even when they aren't.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 15, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if DualShock3 controllers will be compatible with the PS4.  The same happened with DS1 for PS2 and with an adapter, you can use DS1/DS2 controllers on the PS3.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 15, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
The boomerang controller was sweet. Suprised they never released as an optional controller.

What do you guys think of the new psn store.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7i4v2i/sony-nycc-12--playstation-store-redesign-walkthrough--cam-?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
Kind of off-topic, but Super Mario Sunshine features some of the best rumble-integration ever. Slight rumble from hopping through puddles, using FLUDD, and other examples- that's the perfect definition of immersion.

Now, I don't really agree with temperature as a gimmick, but I didn't really believe in rumble until SMS.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
The boomerang controller was sweet. Suprised they never released as an optional controller.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7i4v2i/sony-nycc-12--playstation-store-redesign-walkthrough--cam-?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
lol
First off I think the new store looks more user friendly.  That being said I've seen this design convention before.  *looks down at phone* Yep.  Congratulations Sony, you just made a Metro App.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

lol
First off I think the new store looks more user friendly.  That being said I've seen this design convention before.  *looks down at phone* Yep.  Congratulations Sony, you just made a Metro App.

Now I'm thinking of the Xbox 360's "Metro" dashboard. I wonder if Sony will use this design for the PS4's menu?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 17, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
If they. Dont want to be sued they wont.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70