Author Topic: Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th  (Read 14460 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 06:45:40 PM »

Originally posted by: tonythekitty
Heres a sad story (for me.)  I have now bought $110.00 worth of virtual console games.  What can I say, I love em.  I bought my wii for this.  Anything else is a bonus to me.  Super castlevania IV and rtype are among my favorite games, but of course I had to get mario as well.  In playing mario I noticed some strange white static in between levels.  "How sloppy!"  I said, that they would release a shoddy port of such a main title.  Of course come to find out when I went to zelda, and wii sports, the dots were there too.  Except 10 fold.  The graphics were completely screwed.  The wii was broken.  1 month and 6 days old.  Now I have to mail to nintendo to get repaired, and they are going to make me pay to redownload my $110.00 worth of virtual console games because they cant be copied to the new system they are going to give me.  Kinda makes even the diehard VC fans like me think twice before paying big bucks.

Off the top of my head I think I've spent... just about $100 on the VC. So don't feel like you're all alone on that one.

But Tony, call Nintendo and tell them your situation. Nintendo has gone ahead and said that they'd help Wii Owners who are in situations like yours, and if their Customer Service is as good as all of us believe it to be, they should work with you so that you don't have to pay an additional $110. Otherwise, this is a very big black mark on their record and will cause internet uproar.

Tell Nintendo this, because you are ENTITLED to those VC games that you already paid for despite your broken Wii.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 06:59:11 PM »
Yeah Tony, don't just assume you have to buy stuff again.  Nintendo will take care of you.  You shouldn't rant about stuff until after you talk to the customer service department.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 03:37:05 AM »
Considering Nintendo explicitly stated in their press release that they will restore full game funcitonality for anyone whose system is damaged (and the manual even says never return your Wii but send it to them for exactly this reason) it is safe to say there is a 0% chance you'll lose your games. Unless there's more to the story and something illegal or warranty-voiding happened.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 03:56:28 AM »
Oh... The premium price on R-Type made me forgo it for Military Madness out of principle... Now that I know its the full arcade game I may eventually pick it up but it will probably be next Christmas when I get another WiiPoint card if I'm still interested.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:45 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64 Street fighter II was meant to be a somewhat realistic fighter with a little more depth than what the other games had back in the day. Speed, skill, technique and movement were required to master the game.

Milking. You forgot the milking.

Capcom's fighters are the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in a fighting game: emphasis on speed, memorization of movesets and reflexes, everything a casual gamer won't touch.

I loved SSB because anyone could pick it up and learn a character after only a few games, then hone their techniques from there as they learned the physics of the game and their character's full abilities, no need to pick up the manual to look up the character movesets.

I doubt we'll be seeing any more SF games anytime soon, though, so it's just beating dead horse at this point. I don't understand how Capcom can, like SNK, be one of the last bastions of 2D gaming and yet focus almost entirely on Sony hardware since Sony abhors 2D games.

SF was only popular because it was the first successful game of its kind and as a result the fanbase became intensely loyal, much like they did for the DQ and FF franchises.

I loved SSB because it was everything SF wasn't: no combos, no long special moves, no clone characters (one of the reasons Melee pissed me off), no emphasis on raw speed and FFS, NO MILKING!!!!

On another note, I may break down one day and buy CV, but only because of how awesome the two DS ones have been for me.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 05:29:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother Milking. You forgot the milking.

I didn't!

I agree that they whored the game like crazy. Super Street fighter II should've been Street Fighter III. Add some more characters, update the graphics even more and update the gameplay and there you have it. I thought the Alpha games were fun, and I LOVED the cross over games.

I forgot to mention earlier that the only SF games Capcom have released recently have been the SF anniversary compilation packs (including SF Alpha anthology) as well as the Capcom arcade collections and on XBOX Live. But other than that Capcom has not made a new game since SF III.    
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 08:17:27 AM »
So...every game that was released on a Nintendo system is recommended for "everyone," while every game that was released on another system is only recommended for "fans?"

I think Nintendo World Report has a pro-Nintendo bias.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »
I noticed that too when I was preparing the post, Wandering. It just happened that way! But please note that Street Fighter and Castlevania are third-party games. R-Type is a hardcore game, and we just feel it is too hard to recommend to everyone. Likewise, ToeJam and Earl is a ridiculously silly game with backwards logic and an inane sense of humor. You can't expect everyone to like that. Super Mario Bros though? Castlevania? Hells yes, especially now that 2-D platform-style games are entry-level introductions to gaming for non-gamers.

Ummm....on a side note....I wouldn't have recommended Street Fighter to everyone, but that wasn't my choice. =)  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
What's the D-low on next monday?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
I noticed that too when I was preparing the post, Wandering. It just happened that way! But please note that Street Fighter and Castlevania are third-party games. R-Type is a hardcore game, and we just feel it is too hard to recommend to everyone. Likewise, ToeJam and Earl is a ridiculously silly game with backwards logic and an inane sense of humor. You can't expect everyone to like that. Super Mario Bros though? Castlevania? Hells yes, especially now that 2-D platform-style games are entry-level introductions to gaming for non-gamers.

Ummm....on a side note....I wouldn't have recommended Street Fighter to everyone, but that wasn't my choice. =)

I definately agree with your logic, personally I despised Toe Jam and Earl, never getting much out of the game. Though that can be related to my feelings for games that use random levels, I much prefer a designed game like Zelda or Mario with a beginning and an end. R-Type is also a "hardcore" game though I will probaly get it because I do enjoy the space shooting games from time to time (In fact I have the Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus for my saturn which has one of my favorite games from NES, Life Force) especially those with cooperative (though sadly they are difficult to find).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan

I made the the recommendation for Street Fighter II because the fighting game genre should not automatically be considered a niche.  Many people see it that way.  Everyone should have a chance to play the original Street Fighter II, because chance are good they will like it.  Hence, recommended for everyone.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 04:25:17 AM »
Next Monday? Well, if all we get is Baseball and Urban Champion, then count on "Not Recommended for Anyone" on there at least once.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »
I agree with the recommendation for all the games except Street Fighter II.  Now back in 1992 I would have recommended SFII to everyone without hesitation.  But there are better versions of it available.  Didn't the PS2 get a super Street Fighter collection that has all the versions in one game?  Now that's not on the Wii but honestly better versions of SFII will be made available since Street Fighter II Turbo and Super Street Fighter II were both released on the SNES.  To me the original SFII is for fans only.  It's a historically important game and a purist would probably want all variations of SFII avaiable to them.  But the average gamer would want one of the later titles just due to the extra characters alone.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 05:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan Everyone should have a chance to play the original Street Fighter II, because chance are good they will like it.

I have to disagree there.

Non/new-gamers aren't gonna like it much once I face bite them to death with Blanka while I insist that hitting down, down toward, low-kick is easy.

Sorry, but SF is and forever will be the very DEFINITION of "hardcore" fighting games.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: WindyMan Everyone should have a chance to play the original Street Fighter II, because chance are good they will like it.

I have to disagree there.

Non/new-gamers aren't gonna like it much once I face bite them to death with Blanka while I insist that hitting down, down toward, low-kick is easy.

Sorry, but SF is and forever will be the very DEFINITION of "hardcore" fighting games.

QFT. I could never figure out how to do any SF moves except for electrifying Blanka and kicking a lot with Chun Li or Slapping a lot with E. Honda. In my opinion, today's Soul Calibers, Tekken'sm DOAs and Virtua Fighters are just prettier versions of the same street fighter "memorize ridiculously complex button combinations" methodology.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 07:21:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Heres a sad story (for me.)  I have now bought $110.00 worth of virtual console games.  What can I say, I love em.  I bought my wii for this.  Anything else is a bonus to me.  Super castlevania IV and rtype are among my favorite games, but of course I had to get mario as well.  In playing mario I noticed some strange white static in between levels.  "How sloppy!"  I said, that they would release a shoddy port of such a main title.  Of course come to find out when I went to zelda, and wii sports, the dots were there too.  Except 10 fold.  The graphics were completely screwed.  The wii was broken.  1 month and 6 days old.  Now I have to mail to nintendo to get repaired, and they are going to make me pay to redownload my $110.00 worth of virtual console games because they cant be copied to the new system they are going to give me.  Kinda makes even the diehard VC fans like me think twice before paying big bucks.

Off the top of my head I think I've spent... just about $100 on the VC. So don't feel like you're all alone on that one.

But Tony, call Nintendo and tell them your situation. Nintendo has gone ahead and said that they'd help Wii Owners who are in situations like yours, and if their Customer Service is as good as all of us believe it to be, they should work with you so that you don't have to pay an additional $110. Otherwise, this is a very big black mark on their record and will cause internet uproar.

Tell Nintendo this, because you are ENTITLED to those VC games that you already paid for despite your broken Wii.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

UMM guys I hate to tell you this but is 2 different people at nintendo that says their policy is to not refund or replace VC games if the console is non repairable.  They wont even give you free wii points.  They asked their "manager" already and he said no.

To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 07:44:45 AM »

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

UMM guys I hate to tell you this but is 2 different people at nintendo that says their policy is to not refund or replace VC games if the console is non repairable.  They wont even give you free wii points.  They asked their "manager" already and he said no.

Hmmm... that goes directly against a September 2006 talk that Wired had with Perrin Kaplan, VP of NOA Marketing, in which she discussed a situation where since VC games were tied to an account, Nintendo would let users redownload their VC games if their console was broken or destroyed.

Reported here (along with debunk region free suggestions)

• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine.

Take that to them and see what they say. This is an outrage. That's $110 of your money you spent on a broken product of theirs. It's utterly ridiculous and NOT the kind of message they want to send to their consumers. Keep at it, because you're i8n the right as far as I'm concerned (even without the Kaplan statement) and if Nintendo still doesn't budge, this will be a black mark on their record for Consumer Reports and other watchgroups to hear.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon QFT. I could never figure out how to do any SF moves except for electrifying Blanka and kicking a lot with Chun Li or Slapping a lot with E. Honda. In my opinion, today's Soul Calibers, Tekken'sm DOAs and Virtua Fighters are just prettier versions of the same street fighter "memorize ridiculously complex button combinations" methodology.

I have to be fair and say that it's not necessarily a BAD game, just not my type of game and CERTAINLY not a casual-friendly type of game.

The gateway drug for fighting games I would use would DEFINITELY be SSB.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »
"The gateway drug for fighting games I would use would DEFINITELY be SSB."

I wouldn't because it is so unlike other fighting games that it doesn't give a really good idea of what the genre is all about.

Personally I think the Tekken games would be the ideal gateway drug for fighters.  It has a fairly traditional fighting game feel but you can button mash to all hell and still pull some cool moves off.

And if tonythekitty can't get the VC games he paid for back then we should make a big deal about that and make it widespread knowledge.  It would be completely unacceptable on it's own let alone with Nintendo stating otherwise and giving us the general assumption that our VC games are safe regardless of the physical Wii console.  Any company pulling sh!t like that would be worthy of having their name dragged through the mud.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:55 AM »
Hear that Tony? Fight!

Fight for all the other disadvantaged people out there! Fight for the gamers! Fight for the victims! Fight for the children! Get up, stand up! Stand up for your rights!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2006, 10:01:01 AM »
I think Tony is an evil Sony imp who doesn't really own a Wii, but tries to tarnish the good name of Nintendo with stories like this! A parade of bob-ombs should be sent to his house TOMORROW.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Either they lied to me when I called, or you are mistaken. The person I talked to specifically said that if the system was sent in for repair, but wasn't repairable, they could transfer the VC games to a new system.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
Yup, Nintendo sucks.

This is the Customer Service Phail Report.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »
What the hell? This isn't like Nintendo at all!

If anything he should of found a couple of VC games he hadn't downloaded on his system for free!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »
I will be sending my system off tomorrow, and (3 weeks later) when I get it back I will let you guys know how it went.  If they really do gyp me I would love to have something as powerful as N.W.R. to spread the PR on.  And dont get me wrong, im not getting down on nintendo, i still love my wii, its just very disheartening since its so new.
To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.