Author Topic: Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th  (Read 14463 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »
Here's NWR's opinion of the Christmas batch of Virtual Console games.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/vcArt.cfm?artid=12975

The weather outside is frightful, but those Christmas (and Thanksgiving) Wiis are ready for some Virtual Console love. Today's batch of games is definitely the best yet - there's something for everyone. Want to know which games to get? Read on.    

Street Fighter II - SNES

Released: 1991
 2 Players
 Cost: 800 Points
 Controllers: Classic Controller, GameCube Controller

Street Fighter II - SNES  

In ancient times, fighting games were mindless button mashers, wherein you just kept hitting A and B until someone ran out of energy and keeled over.  Even the original Street Fighter was pretty much like that.  One year, Capcom decided to try something different.  Thank the stars that they did, because the result was Street Fighter II, the game that revolutionized the fighting genre with six attack buttons and special moves like the ol' Hadouken.  The new arcade layout translated perfectly onto the SNES controller, as did the game itself.

Recommended for EveryoneWhat's that?  You don't like fighting games?  Maybe that's because you've been playing ones that aren't very good.  Street Fighter II is a classic, and if you and your friends don't have a good time duking it out, you are a sad person.    

Addendum added June 26, 2007: While Street Fighter II is still a great game, it has been depreciated by its SNES sequel, Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting.  While we still recommend this game to everyone, we don't recommend you download it over the superior-in-every-way SFII'HF. - Steven Rodriguez    

Super Castlevania IV - SNES

Super Castlevania IV - SNES  

Released: 1991
 1 Player
 Controllers: Classic Controller, GameCube Controller

Super Castlevania IV was the first game from the series to hit the Super NES.  Like many games that made the transition from 8 to 16 bit, the visuals in Castlevania IV really stood out at the time.  While primitive by today's standards, experiencing the great use of 2D technologies like Mode 7 can be a nostalgic and rewarding experience today.    

Being a Super NES game, either a Classic or GameCube controller is required for play.  The original game even features a way to manually change the button configuration.  This helps overcome the non-traditional button layout of the GameCube controller so most players will be able to find a layout that works for them.    

Recommended for EveryoneSuper Castlevania IV is one of those gems that makes the Virtual Console such an incredible feature.  The game consists of eleven levels that are packed with the timeless gameplay the Castlevania series is famous for. - Mike Gamin    

R-Type - TurboGrafx 16

R-Type - TurboGrafx 16  

Released: 1989
 1 Player
 Controllers: Wii Remote, Classic Controller, GameCube Controller

R-Type is, of course, the "O.G." of side-scrolling shooters.  Taking control of an R-9 space fighter, the game takes you through a gauntlet of eight levels filled with endless enemies to take down.  Oh yeah, you need to avoid everything that gets shot at you, too.  Expect to die a lot.    

Though you can play the game with all three controller types, you may find that the Wiimote is the least capable of the three.  Rapid-fire is set to the awkwardly placed B Trigger, so you may want to use the Wii Classic controller or dust off a GameCube pad for best results.    

Recommended for FansIt's a difficult game and a premium price for a TG16 download.  If either one of those factors turn you off, you probably won't think R-Type is worth the $8.  If neither apply, you should probably get it. It's one of the classic shooters of all time, and one of the most satisfying to beat as well.  If you want a challenge, here it is. - Steven Rodriguez    

ToeJam and Earl - Genesis

ToeJam and Earl - Sega Genesis  

Released: 1992
 2 Players
 Cost: 800 points

One of the strangest games that gained popularity in the 16-bit age, ToeJam and Earl details the adventure of our titular heroes who become stranded on earth and must find the lost pieces of their spaceship so they can return home, (a la Pikmin). The game is a top-down actiony-adventure type thing that is easier to play than to understand. Gameplay consists of scanning various levels to find the spaceship parts, along the way using items and avoiding enemies.    

Control is a bit stiff, and the game is best enjoyed with the Classic Controller or the GameCube pad as the Wii Remote's A Button is just not a good action button.    

Recommended for FansOne of the top-selling Genesis games ever, most people will buy ToeJam and Earl for nostalgia alone. Those who haven't played it before shouldn't venture in as the game design is sloppy and only reaches great heights after many levels (and perhaps a White Russian). Those who have played it before don't need my recommendation. - Evan Burchfield    

Super Mario Bros. - NES

Super Mario Bros - NES  

Released: 1985
 2 Players
 Cost: 500 points

It's the grandaddy of modern video games, a historically significant title for its narrative, length, and fun factor. It's also one of the first non-gamer games - more Moms, Grandpas, and Adult Family Friends have been sucked into the realm of controllable media through Super Mario Bros than any other game sans Tetris. And Super Mario Bros stands next to Tetris as an utterly simple, purely visceral, and ultimately landmark masterpiece.    

Recommended for EveryoneIt is quite simply one of the most fun games ever made. Nintendo has based much of their current game design philosophy on Super Mario Bros, meaning you're actually buying a history lesson. That this game wasn't available on Virtual Console until now is a shame - no other game needed to be on there quite as much as this one. If you don't have a copy of this yet, five bucks is a sweet price for never having to blow on a Nintendo cartridge. - Evan Burchfield

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:17:56 AM »
I almost got Toejam, glad I waited now! Super Castlevania it is!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:53:50 AM »
SFII playable with the Wiimote?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Mondays: December 25th
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:48:30 AM »
Its not evan probably made a mistake. All SNES and N64 games require a cube or a classic controller.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 04:46:05 AM »
"What's that? You don't like fighting games? Maybe that's because you've been playing ones that aren't very good. Street Fighter II is a classic, and if you and your friends don't have a good time duking it out, you are a sad person."

HEY! That's generalizing gamers right there!

SB doesn't like the SF fighter series and he happens to enjoy a lot of good games. And he is NOT a sad person...well, maybe a bit, but he is NOT completely sad!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 04:47:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
SFII playable with the Wiimote?

No, that was a typo.  Fixed now.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 05:20:09 AM »
I think it's kind of a crime that you didn't mention Toe Jam & Earl's biggest claim to fame. All of the levels are randomly generated. The game is different every single time you play it!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 05:48:58 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64 SB doesn't like the SF fighter series and he happens to enjoy a lot of good games. And he is NOT a sad person...well, maybe a bit, but he is NOT completely sad!

I just think it's a garbage franchise because:

1. If I wanted to memorize things, I'd be studying for tests, not trying to remember toward, toward, back, down, down-toward, high kick. I was first drawn to SSB because it was everything Street Fighter wasn't: easy to learn, a challenge to master.

2. BAD, CAPCOM! STOP MILKING IT!! STOP IT! WE DON'T NEED "Super Street Fighter ULTRAALPHATURBOODELUXMEGACOMBO III" FFS, LET...IT...DIE!

*ahem*

The only tempting game on that list, for me, is TJ&E because it's multiplayer and due to random level generation has a great deal of replay value. CV is likewise nice, but I'd only play it through once and wouldn't afterwards be able to sell it back to a store so I don't see the need to spend money on it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 05:49:14 AM »
I think I prefer the fixed levels to the random ones, Mike. I don't find the random level generator to really make the game all that "awesome," but rather the funny items, dialogue, and attitude do.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 06:00:45 AM »
If you don't like Super Castlevania IV, you are obviously a communist.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 07:06:05 AM »
I'm guessing it's a good game (as the DS CVs are), but I can rent two Wii games for a week for $8 and considering that I'd only play through CV once, it's not a sound monetary investment since I can't sell it back to cut my expenditure.

I'd probably buy MK64 since it has insane replay value and offers 4 player play, but a single player game which will be over in 15-20 hours just isn't worth it for $8, especially since they could sell it for $2 and still make an immense profit.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 07:19:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: pap64 SB doesn't like the SF fighter series and he happens to enjoy a lot of good games. And he is NOT a sad person...well, maybe a bit, but he is NOT completely sad!

1. If I wanted to memorize things, I'd be studying for tests, not trying to remember toward, toward, back, down, down-toward, high kick. I was first drawn to SSB because it was everything Street Fighter wasn't: easy to learn, a challenge to master.

2. BAD, CAPCOM! STOP MILKING IT!! STOP IT! WE DON'T NEED "Super Street Fighter ULTRAALPHATURBOODELUXMEGACOMBO III" FFS, LET...IT...DIE!

*ahem*

The only tempting game on that list, for me, is TJ&E because it's multiplayer and due to random level generation has a great deal of replay value. CV is likewise nice, but I'd only play it through once and wouldn't afterwards be able to sell it back to a store so I don't see the need to spend money on it.

As true as those points maybe, you should really try playing SF without using any specials. Doing so will make you realize how realistic of a fighter it is and let you appreciate the strategy behind it even more. After that, learn a couple special moves and blend them in with your playstyle.....
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 07:23:36 AM »

Now I have to question Pap64's claim of you "enjoying a lot of good games."  Obviously not.  Every one of these games is worth the money, hands down.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »

*ahem*

1. Back when I first played the games, I never memorized any button combinations. True, that was the purpose of the game and the gameplay did revolve around the controls, but outside the uber elite fanboys we all played as God intended us to....MASH BUTTONS! And because of that, I had a blast playing with my friends and cousins as a kid. In fact, in real life when you are in a fight, you don't memorize moves and attack, you attack with all your might, and use the moves strategically and when needed. That's how I see Street Fighter.

2. It's true they milked it HARD throughout the 90s, but the series is pretty much dead now. The franchise has been downgraded to cameo appearances in cross over games (Namco X Capcom being one of them) and since the 2D fighter market is dead (save for SNK who is working hard with the King of fighters series) and they failed to update it to 3D the series is near death (unless they decide to do a major revamp of the series). So you can rest happy now.

And just so you know, I think the classic CV games are different from the DS ones. I think they started to upgrade the series around the time Symphony of the night was released.

Can anyone fill me in on this?

And Omen, that's just SB speaking through his pocket and not his gaming heart. He has stated several times that he is on a budget, and as such he is making sure he gets his money's worth on everything, games included.

I'm sure that if the game was free or charge or is able to play it through a friend's VC, I'm sure he would give it a try.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »
Sorry, Requiem. I've tried, but after years of SSB play, SF just pales in comparison.

Originally posted by: The Omen Now I have to question Pap64's claim of you "enjoying a lot of good games."  Obviously not.  Every one of these games is worth the money, hands down.

It's all about the replay value, bang for buck, dolla to make me holla!

The games can be excellent games, sure, but if they're going to get played for anything less than 30 hours, IMHO, they ain't worth it.

Like I said, I'm not going to pay $8 for a SNES game I'll beat once and never touch again. I'm not one of those people who can replay games indefinitely, especially single player games: I beat it, I sell it back and use the money to spend on the next single player game worth buying.

I already paid $50 for these games once, now I'm going to pay another $8-10 to buy them again for "convenience" when it costs Nintendo less than 10¢ in bandwidth for me to download a game from their service?

No thanks.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 07:56:24 AM »
Smash, I'll bet money ($8 to be exact) that you'll hate TJ&E, or at least find it not worth your time. Castlevania is a far better choice.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 08:03:03 AM »
I've already played TJ&E...to death.

I used to stay home from school to play it with my mother, actually. She loved the exploration of the game while I was more the killer type who would be responsible for annihilating the enemies in our path when it came to that. The game combined the right blend of strategy, exploration and action to make it a truly excellent game, and trying to get all of the presents identified from the carrot man was like an essential part of the game to ensure success.

But will that have stood the test of time? Not so sure, and I just don't have the money to burn on a game that can't A) provide hours of multiplayer entertainment (ala MK64) or B) be sold back to recoup some losses.

Truthfully, if I had a roommate who was guaranteed to play it with me, I'd buy it. Not sure I have that right now, though...

Don't get me wrong: I am a TRUE believer in the excellence of the CV series (on the last (maybe) boss in PoR right now), but when I could rent two Wii games for the same price, I need to make sure the $$$ is well spent with being on a tighter budget and all.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »

Sorry, Requiem. I've tried, but after years of SSB play, SF just pales in comparison.

Here's the problem with your logic, SB.

Street fighter II was meant to be a somewhat realistic fighter with a little more depth than what the other games had back in the day. Speed, skill, technique and movement were required to master the game. SSB, on the other hand, was a simple party fighter where the depth comes from how you play. This is basically comparing oranges to apples. It's not fair to compare one game's engine to the other, especially when they are vastly different. And SF II was around long before the idea for SSB was conceived.

This is simply a preference issue where you prefer the engine of SSB over the engine of SF II and that's fine. But its not fair to put the game down and its legacy simply because you are not a fan of it. You don't like it, others do. No need to push it further or shove it down someone's throat.

Same with the VC. You have your reasons for not downloading games on the VC and that's fine. Its your Wii, its your money, you do WHATEVER the hell you want with it. But simply because you have your way of doing things it doesn't mean everyone else will. Maybe someone has the money and wants to buy the games, despite the prices. And that's fine too. Neither camp should force each other into doing what the other half wants them to. If people don't want to buy the VC games, that's their problem, but its pointless to try and convince people that like the VC to stop downloading the games.

Once again, there's no need for either camp to shove opinions down people's throats or be obnoxious about it. PERIOD.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 01:05:08 PM »
I never played A Castlevania game before. But SCIV IS pretty neat... makes me wish I owned it back in the day. Oh well.... it's found a home on my Wii.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »
Bob dole hates Street Fighter.  Bob Dole also dislikes pre-Metroidvania Castlevania.  Bob Dole.   Bob dole.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 05:31:56 PM »
Heres a sad story (for me.)  I have now bought $110.00 worth of virtual console games.  What can I say, I love em.  I bought my wii for this.  Anything else is a bonus to me.  Super castlevania IV and rtype are among my favorite games, but of course I had to get mario as well.  In playing mario I noticed some strange white static in between levels.  "How sloppy!"  I said, that they would release a shoddy port of such a main title.  Of course come to find out when I went to zelda, and wii sports, the dots were there too.  Except 10 fold.  The graphics were completely screwed.  The wii was broken.  1 month and 6 days old.  Now I have to mail to nintendo to get repaired, and they are going to make me pay to redownload my $110.00 worth of virtual console games because they cant be copied to the new system they are going to give me.  Kinda makes even the diehard VC fans like me think twice before paying big bucks.
To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 05:41:32 PM »
ALso: Re Castlevania IV for SNES.  You cant beat it in "30 hrs" or so unless you are insanely good at it.  It is a linear game like mario 1 and as such must be completely mastered to be beaten at all.  levels 5upwards feature some extremely intense platforming elements and chances are you will fall in holes and croak so many times (and have to start all the way over at the beginning of the game) that the replay value will be quite high.  I find some of the bosses in castlevania IV to be the best in the franchise.  Also the mode 7 visuals are pretty neat, even today.  It makes you remember why your eyes lit up with joy everytime you put in a snes upgrade to your favorite nes games.  It is as much an improvement over original nes castlevania as mario world for snes was to original mario for nes.

BTW Streetfighter sucks.

Play Fatal Fury Special 2 or King of Fighters 99 or Samurai Shodown IV or V.  Those have good skill/strategy/button mashing/super power balance.  You can do one or all to win, but a good balance is best.
To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 05:45:17 PM »
I've been really happy with VC as well and am growing tired of the complaints, there are some great games on it even if we are getting a tad bit jipped compared to the number of titles. Currently I have Ecco, Bonk, Super Mario 64, Alien Crush (a really great pinball game), Gunstar Heroes (enough said), Legend of Zelda, Bomberman, and Ristar (blew me away, I wish this series took hold than the lame 2D Sonic games. Yes I hate the Genesis Sonic games but loved Sonic Adventure). All great games and well worth my money, personally I never could stand Roms on the computer. Next when I get the moolah I'm going to get SMB, CV4, and R-Type.

P.S. Smash is right, the Street FIghter series is a trashy overrated series. Heck I had more fun with MK2 than ANY Street Fighter game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
I'll confess right away that my love of fighters (both in 2D and 3D) was because of Street fighter II. I'll admit that some of the respect I have towards the game was because I literally spent HOURS playing the games with my friends and relatives as a kid, and many of the BETTER games were released because SF II was released.

I agree that they whored the game like crazy. Super Street fighter II should've been Street Fighter III. Add some more characters, update the graphics even more and update the gameplay and there you have it. I thought the Alpha games were fun, and I LOVED the cross over games.

But despite its flaws and Capcom's handling of the series I simply can't stay mad or hate the series, despite the good arguments against it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 06:20:44 PM »
Ouch, bad luck tony.. although you'll only have to redownload if they can't repair it and they send you a new one right?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig