Author Topic: Final Games in New Play Control Series Dated for Japan  (Read 6670 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: New Play Control Series to End After Metroid Prime 2, Chibi Robo
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:46 AM »
  Giving us remakes instead of new games SUCKS and they HAVE done that since Nintendo has released literally ZERO new Wii games in 2009 thus far. 

Excitebots: Trick Racing came out on Monday.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Final Games in New Play Control Series Dated for Japan
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:59 AM »
The article has been clarified, stating that the final games in the FIRST series were given a release date.

Sorry Ian.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 02:30:15 AM »
Here is my prediction for the next series.

It will happen in 2011, probably over the summer months. There will be five games this time around instead of seven, which I believe will be:

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Because we very likely won't be seeing a sequel. Will have support for Wii Motion Plus (if it's successful... which it will be).

Luigi's Mansion
Another title that's unlikely to receive a sequel.  Perfect fit for the IR pointer.

Super Mario Sunshine
I don't think it performed very well it Japan. Plus it's Mario, guaranteed million-seller. Another good fit for pointer controls.

1080 Avalanche
Again, sequel seems dubious. Would support the Balance Board (optionally of course).

Star Fox Assault
Seems like yet another good fit for pointer controls. Might either be released after a new Star Fox or to build hype for a new one.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
Didn't the original Toadstool Tour have some connectivity with the GBA Mario Gold game? Just realized that a Wii remake would have to drop that feature unless they made a DS Mario Golf to connect with.

----------------
Now playing: Misery Inc. - Cyanide
via FoxyTunes
Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »
Star Fox Assault
Seems like yet another good fit for pointer controls. Might either be released after a new Star Fox or to build hype for a new one.

No, no, and I repeat "NO!"  I'm all for games getting in New Play Control that deserved more exposure than they got when they released.  That does NOT mean we put games in that series that sold poorly when they were released becauase they were crap.

Honestly, the only games you listed that really deserve NPC status is Luigi's Mansion (it'd actually be playable now) and maybe Toadstool Tour and 1080 Avalanche.  Mario Sunshine wasn't a great game either, and NPC controls would be rather pointless because they wouldn't change the game much.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
I would actually be in favor of a remake of Star Fox:Assault but they wouldn't even need the new play controls for a selling point. Just remove the land-based missions & you'll have a shorter yet awesome game.
Mission...complete?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 12:02:38 PM »
The article has been clarified, stating that the final games in the FIRST series were given a release date.

Sorry Ian.

Dang.  But realistically this is what I assumed.  Unless Nintendo stated clearly "this is the last of the NPC games" how could you ever assume that they were done?

Eh, we're no worse off at least.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
I guess the NPC remakes were an emergency measure to get some stuff into the Wii library as it turned out that third parties were dead set in their plan to keep bashing their heads against the HD market no matter what Nintendo does to give them opportunities to sell on the Wii.

Well, not quite.  It may feel like that, but I can't think of many games in that era that weren't targeted at core gamers.  We just didn't get games very often, period.  I honestly hope that Nintendo proves me wrong at this year's E3 with a blowout of core franchises with AAA quality installments, but right not I'm not optimistic because that would cost money and Nintendo probably doesn't see the point when they can spend 10% of the cost with 800% (I'm exagerating, yes) of the profit just making the latest "casual" (God I hate using that term after playing stuff like World of Goo and Peggle and whatnot that are a completely different breed of casual game) crap.

You know, if you compare the lists of core and new market games Nintendo has released on the Wii you'll notice a definite core skew. There are roughly twice as many core games from Nintendo as new market games (not counting WiiWare or Japan-only releases). The new market games are the five Wii ____ games (I bet half of us even forgot that there were five, I only learned on Wikipedia that Wii Chess was a part of that line) and the Big Brain Academy thing.

I reject BOTH options and demand something else.  Scaling back the remakes (at least for now) is still a good thing.  I'm not optimistic Nintendo will suddenly bust out all these core games but they COULD and that's still something.  I still see an end to the New Play Control series as a positive thing.

I suspect the alternative is simply nothing, no casual, no core game. Considering the Cube didn't sell so well I don't think havng the NPC rereleases is worse than not having them.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
Instead of releasing NPC games, Nintendo could've been proactive in marketing the recent 3rd party offerings on the system.  But lol, Nintendo's not in the business of doing the 3rd parties' work for them.  Live & die on merit this time around.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
Didn't the original Toadstool Tour have some connectivity with the GBA Mario Gold game? Just realized that a Wii remake would have to drop that feature unless they made a DS Mario Golf to connect with.
Well, they could just make all of the GBA content accessible from the get-go. I see no reason that couldn't work.

That does NOT mean we put games in that series that sold poorly when they were released becauase they were crap.
Honestly, the only games you listed that really deserve NPC status is Luigi's Mansion (it'd actually be playable now) and maybe Toadstool Tour and 1080 Avalanche.  Mario Sunshine wasn't a great game either
Opinions. I'm sure Nintendo thinks otherwise and would be more than happy to re-release them. Most of the Wii userbase missed those titles and would probably eat them up.