Author Topic: Should "New play control" Wiimakes be extended to Pre-GC games?  (Read 14051 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Should "New play control" Wiimakes be extended to Pre-GC games?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 04:50:58 AM »
Nintendo doesn't want backwards compatibility to be longer lasting. This is why the DS dropped support for GB and GBC games, and why the DSi has dropped support of GBA as well. Nintendo wants you to rebuy your old games again at some future point, and they can't make you do that if they maintain endless backwards compatibility.

That said, I do expect GC compatibility to be dropped with the next Wii revision.

That may be more of a reason for the future, but it is usually dropped for financial and logistics reasons. The cost versus the benefit of having the DS play GB/C games is minimal since most people that want to continue playing them would hold on to an older system. They dropped GBA support from the DSi because of space. They originally wanted two SD card slots in that system and already had to sacrifice one of them to maintain the sleek and slim design. Was it reasonable to expect N64 games to be supported on the Gamecube? It is more a tool meant to draw users of the old system into a new investment with the next system with the knowledge that you could still turn back to your old games if you wanted or needed to (say if there was a game drought or nothing of interest to you is coming soon).

Wouldn't the old N64/GC game Doshin the Giant be a good game possibility for the NPC series?
Sure, some translating is needed, but it could be a good opportunity to bring this series to the West.
No translation necessary since Doshin came out in Europe.

I went searching for videos of the game on youtube and did see some video of the European version. This makes a good deal of sense to bring over. The gameplay is very intriguing. How much does the game go for in European markets now? I may try to import a used copy.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »
I disagree with those who say adding new play control would be horrendously expensive for N64 and prior games. We already have N64 games running on the VC, so all that needs to be changed is for these VC games to work with the Wii's motion controls. How hard or expensive could that be? There's no need to upgrade the graphics or anything expensive or complicated like that.
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »
Isn't the Wii's ability to actually play GameCube games enough of a way to bring those missed classics to a new audience?

You'd think but consider this:

1.  Some of the GCN games in NPC may not be easily available anymore at retail, even used.  And they certainly won't be in a year or two as stores get rid of the last of their GCN inventory.
2.  ALL GCN games played on the Wii require the GCN controller, a controller that likely isn't still being manufactured or in the case of the best GCN controller they "lost the mold on" (Wavebird).
3.  Likewise with #2, most of the "new audience" Wii brought in learned to game on the Wii remote, and GCN games require the GCN controller.  I could see that being a barrier of entry.

Don't forget that playing the GameCube version requires a GameCube memory card.

You guys forgot the most important thing--Nintendo doesn't make any money if you buy a GameCube game.  They've already sold them all so they won't make any additional profit even if you buy it new (and especially if you buy it used).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
If you go beyond the Gamecube then they have to update the graphics and that would be a whole lot more work.  You can't BS me with "oh they don't take up much resources" then.  If you're going to go to the trouble to redo all the graphics for an N64 game then why not just make a sequel?

Why do any of you want this?  Don't you have these games already?  Do you really want to pay for games you already own with waggle controls?  Do you honestly think Super Mario 64 is going to be better with waggle?  Super Mario Galaxy hardly uses the remote at all.  How would that improve Super Mario 64 in any way?

Regarding Gamecube backwards compatibility, it's inaccessable to the mainstream.  But that's entirely because Nintendo INTENTIONALLY makes it so.  There's no reason they can't have memory cards or controllers or Gamecube games in stores.  Yeah getting New Play Control Pikmin is much easier for a casual than seeking out a used Gamecube copy.  But there's no reason Nintendo can't make Pikmin for the Gamecube available in stores with a new marketing campaign to emphasize the Cube backwards compatibility and sell Cube games most people missed out on.  The reason they instead go with the remakes is so that those that already own it may buy it again.  They can get the casual sale no matter what option they go with but the only way to sell you another copy of game you already own is to remake it with new controls.  They can get the casuals and get some hardcores as well.

I say no to Wii-makes PERIOD.  Ditto with "sequels" that are essentially Wii-makes.  But I'm beating a dead horse here.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
Vudu is absolutely correct. This is the reason why Nintendo is VERY anti-backwards compatibility. They will support BC for a generation or two in order to promote sales of successor systems, but that's the only reason. They aren't making money off the old games, and in truth they would prefer to have customers buy them again on a VC or re-make or whatever.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
If you go beyond the Gamecube then they have to update the graphics

Care to explain why exactly Nintendo would HAVE to update the graphics? It seems to me Nintendo isn't concerned about graphical updates, because look at how a lot of their core franchises looks nearly exactly the same as they did from the N64 era (Animal Crossing, for example). And look at the Miis and how those look like they were from the N64 era as well.

I don't know how anyone could claim with a straight face that graphics are important to Nintendo, so I see no reason why they would be compelled to update them. Every bit of evidence we have to go on shows that Nintendo is perfectly content to leave graphics as they are and just take on wiggle-waggle control or some other minor features instead.

So the question is, with graphics kept exactly as they are, how much would it cost to tack on motion control for these older games?
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
N64 cannot handle Miis and the environments Wii ultimately put them in.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Care to explain why exactly Nintendo would HAVE to update the graphics? It seems to me Nintendo isn't concerned about graphical updates, because look at how a lot of their core franchises looks nearly exactly the same as they did from the N64 era (Animal Crossing, for example). And look at the Miis and how those look like they were from the N64 era as well.

N64 games look like crap.  Largely the whole point of these remakes is to sell them to the new blue ocean market.  Gamecube graphics might not be cutting edge but they do look GOOD.  Every decent Gamecube game looks pleasing to the eye and most Wii games hardly look any better.  But N64 games look very blocky and blurry and are just generally unattractive to look at.  I figured non-gamers will be less interested in playing a game with visuals like that.  The graphics don't have to be great but they have to be "good enough" and I don't think N64 graphics are good enough for anyone but open-minded gamers willing to deal with dated visuals.

Wii Sports might look simplictic but it isn't all blurry like an N64 game.  Everything is very crisp looking.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

N64 games look like crap.  Largely the whole point of these remakes is to sell them to the new blue ocean market.  Gamecube graphics might not be cutting edge but they do look GOOD.  Every decent Gamecube game looks pleasing to the eye and most Wii games hardly look any better.  But N64 games look very blocky and blurry and are just generally unattractive to look at.  I figured non-gamers will be less interested in playing a game with visuals like that.  The graphics don't have to be great but they have to be "good enough" and I don't think N64 graphics are good enough for anyone but open-minded gamers willing to deal with dated visuals.

Wii Sports might look simplictic but it isn't all blurry like an N64 game.  Everything is very crisp looking.
Plus N64 games were lucky to be running at 30 frames per second.

My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
So the question is, with graphics kept exactly as they are, how much would it cost to tack on motion control for these older games?
More than it costs to put them on the VC as they are. VC games are already selling quite well so Nintendo has no need to add extra features no matter how little effort they take. I think the reason why we're seeing the Play on Wii GameCube games is because GCN games are too large to offer on the VC. However, since they are retail games Nintendo probably figured that they needed a little something extra in order to attract sales.

What's sad about the VC is that it means the original games aren't going to be included in any sequels or new versions that pop up since they are being sold individually. The new Punch-Out!! would have been a good game to include the original Punch-Out!! with. Something tells me that if ExciteBike 64 is ever released on the VC, it's going to have the original ExciteBike removed...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
Something tells me that if ExciteBike 64 is ever released on the VC, it's going to have the original ExciteBike removed...

Too uch effort for Nintendo, they'll just charge you a premium price since it is 'two games in one'.
My Game Collection