Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243799 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #1025 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:12 AM »
The Wild Wing is one of the best karts, its only real weakness is that it is really ugly. Go with Manual if you think you can handle it. If you use Automatic with the Wild Wing then you're just wasting one of its best features, the Mini-Turbo. The best kart to use on Automatic is the Sprinter, because it has a low Mini-Turbo stat and is the fastest middleweight vehicle. In the right hands it is unstoppable amongst karts.

My question is, why aren't you using the Mach Bike? If the tournament you are participating in has "serious" players then they are all going to be using one of the big three, Bullet/Mach/Bowser Bike. Even if you can match them in skill you're not going to win because of the huge statistical advantage these bikes have.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 15, 2009, 02:38:52 AM »
With Wiimote/funchunk, Mach Bike is easy to use. On Wii Wheel, I found bikes too sensitive. Popping wheelies while trying to stand still is a disaster. But I'll do some experimenting...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 15, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »
Yeah, I have that same problem. Is this tournament wheel-only?
I guess you have to decide which is more important: using what gives you the best chance of winning or using what is the most fun.

I myself would hop into the Royal Racer. They'd never see that one coming. :)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 16, 2009, 01:53:37 AM »
So the tourney's all said and done. Here's the breakdown.

Before I begin, let me start off by saying after some experimenting with the Mach Bike  on Manual last night, something just clicked. I was no longer swerving, and popping wheelies in a straight line worked when I wanted it.

After some last minute practicing before the main event, I did a comparison with Wild Wing vs Mach Bike. Wild Wing gave the stability with decent speed, Mach Bike gave me the speed and handle for hairpin turns. As I was driving to the location, I was still deciding which one I would use.

So I show up to the site, and notice the participants and the setup.

Setup: Projector screen. It was about 50" or so.  the emergancy lights in the facility turned on when they turned the lights off. They couldn't cut the power to the emergency lights, so the projector was barely, and I mean barely visible. Imagine trying to play with the brightness maxed out, and then some.

Controls: It was the Wii Wheel, but a 3rd party variety. It was a little bigger, the wheel itself wasn't a complete circumference  but it didn't have the jumbo B-trigger that I was accustomed to. I had to extend my middle finger for drifts and mini-turbos.

Selection: Apparently they brought a Wii that didn't have a Mario Kart save file, so it was the starting line-up, starter levels and starting vehicles. In short, no Daisy  :'( I went with Mario/ Mach Bike which leads to...

Competition: Seasoned vets. This was not amateur hour. Everyone knew what they were doing. I went with Mach Bike, having recently gotten comfortable with it, but I knew I needed the speed if I wanted to compete.

Rules:
A)Multi-player vs mode
B) Default settings in the rule option (100cc, medium AI, balanced items,etc)
C) 2 players at a time, double elimination
D) Best of 3 races. 1st player chooses a track, 2nd player chooses a track, random selection by the organizer if there was a 3rd race.

As a special note, the Blooper ink, which is at best an annoyance on a regular TV, was a credible deadly item on this projector.

I passed my prelim rounds with little fuss. The little fuss was that  I chose Ghost Valley for my pick. It was virtually unplayable. The organizer offered a mulligan because of its un-playability, but I said no, and soldiered on. After the first lap, my competition conceded the round, being unable to navigate. I was able to navigate albeit very slowly. I followed the light wood rails and followed the map to finish the race.

The second race was DK Summit, which was just as horrible because of the snow. The blue  outlines on the track though were helpful, but not enough as my competion cruised away with the victory.

The 3rd race Coconut Mall, where  I raced to an easy victory. Good thing I practiced, as hitting those drifts and turbos saved my bacon. Thankfully there were no blue shells tossed this round, which helped tremendously.

My semi-final round was atrocious. I don't know what compelled me, but I chose Toad's factory. It was doable until you reached the indoor turns, specifically the one after the hair pin turn with the converyer belts. They were pitch black on the projector, so I didn't know when to turn, much less drift. My competition must've known this track from memory, as it didn't slow them down. Needless to say, I lost bad. When it came to their turn, they chose Toad's Factory again. A dick move IMO, but hey, this is a tournament, you do what you have to do to win. I wasn't able to maneuver better  in those indoor areas, and lost bad again.

The final round was Luigi/Mach Bike (whom I lost to) and Donkey Kong/Flame Flyer. In what seemd to be an exericise in sadism they, went to DK Summit and Toad's Factory for their choices. The Luigi won DK Summit, whereas Donkey Kong won Toad's Factory. It came down to a showdown at Coconut Mall, which came down to a battle of the shells and bananas. Shells were flying, bananas expertly placed, plus the randomness of the CPU's. Donkey Kong got hit with a blue shell right at the finish line, but it was too late, as they crawled to victory.

My prize would be winning the battle for 3rd place, with two victories at N64 Mario Raceway and Luigi Circuit. The person foolishly chose Koopa/Bit Bike, whereas I stuck to Mario/Mach Bike. They got quite a few bullet bills to try and keep up, but Mario Raceway is one of my favorite tracks. I could say in confidence they didn't stand a chance.

But to the true winner got the spoils of a real snazzy t-shirt, whereas 2nd and 3rd got the bad memories  :-\

When they asked for suggestions for the next they would do this, people stated the obvious. Have a television next time, have a Wii with everything unlocked, provide some food.

Overall, it was interesting, but far from ideal experience. I could complain about the poor visibility, unexpected controls, unexpected selection and so on, but that'd be excessive whining. I figure true champions win no matter the conditions, where losers make excuse after excuse. I walked away knowing that 2 weeks ago, I couldn't maneuver with the Wii Wheel to save my life, now I was able to hold my own against a tough crowd.

I would like to thank the Reggienators for whipping me into shape indirectly. Were it not for them, I would've settled with Automatic, and probably lost in the prelims. Mop_it_Up for her sage advice, the countless other people I've raced online, and a big GTFO to the hackers.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2009, 03:23:05 AM »
WiiWheel + Mach Bike = Eternal Love: Sanity's Boner
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 16, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »
Sounds like poor planing, was this their first time hosting a tourney?

I probably would have brought my own Wii in case theirs didn't have everything unlocked. I'm sure most of the other players would have been fine with that, though it might have actually saved you since some players might have been without their preferred bike/character/courses.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 16, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
I can understand using the starting karts/bikes but that screen? They should have done something to make the game actually playable.
Mission...complete?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:19 PM »
I wonder if they could have just left the regular lights on and had the light bulbs removed. I good deal of trouble, but feasable for some places. Unless it was a big gymnasium.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »
Congratulation on grabbing third place. Especially considering the conditions that's something to be proud of.

That's really a shame about the lighting. I'd think you couldn't help but think about how things might have gone under a better setup. Of course, the other players might have fared better as well so maybe it didn't matter. Still, it's something you just can't help but wonder about.

I see you had to have CPU players in there as well. Did anyone get smacked hard by the CPU?

It's too bad we didn't get to meet up before the event. I actually saw you online one night but then you quit when I went to join (you were using Rosalina + Flame Flier if you're wondering). Maybe we can meet up over the weekend?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 17, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
Sounds like poor planing, was this their first time hosting a tourney?

For Mario Kart, yes. Otherwise, they've done things like this before, this was big fluke of a fail. Last fall, they organized a Wii Bowling tourney which used televisions, and in the spring they did a Wii Golf tournament, where they used another area that could turn ALL the lights off and used a projector. In both cases, I choked so bad, its something I want to forget... >:(

They're doing a Guitar Hero tourney next month, I don't know if I'll participate, since I don't any edition of GH  :o but I might show up just to have fun and mooch as food as possible  ;D

They should have done something to make the game actually playable.

If they had one of those mobile projectors, they could've moved it to the darkest corner, alleviating some eye strain. But alas, the projector was on the ceiling, and the screen was on of those drop down ones confined to a corner...

I see you had to have CPU players in there as well. Did anyone get smacked hard by the CPU?

During my prelim round at DK Summit, my competition got hit with a blue shell. They were too far for me to catch up, but the look on their face...priceless.

The CPU did add chaos to the mix. From bullet bills, to invincibility, we had to 'watch' for it. Though the Wii speaker came in handy since our vision was abysmal.

you were using Rosalina + Flame Flier if you're wondering).

Ahhh yes, I was experimenting to see if  I could get both speed and weight. Sure, I could throw my weight around, but the handling and acceleration weren't too good. After 3 races of screaming into tight corners, it was time to try something else...

Now that the tourney's over, I'm going to continue with these unorthodox experiments. One might ask why re-invent the wheel, since they are more or less universal choices, but if there's anything that the Cult of the Reggie has taught me, its not always the vehicle, its the driver. Aside from that, I was looking back at my Grand Prix ratings, and have at least 1 star in 50,100 and 150cc, but abysmal grades in Mirror Mode. Time to rectify this so I have a Star to my name...

Maybe we can meet up over the weekend?

We can do that. When are you free?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: June 17, 2009, 12:33:30 AM »
We can do that. When are you free?
Friday at 9PM. If you'd rather do Saturday or Sunday then I'd have to get back to you on that, though it would likely be late (11PM earliest).

If you want to continue experimenting with vehicles then let me know before hand which ones you want to use, and I will use them (or the middleweight equivalent) as well.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1036 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
I'm going to hop online if anybody wants to play me.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 18, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »
Do I have your code, Maxi? I'll be on in a little bit.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:42 AM »
I deleted your code Maxi because you were still a question mark and I figured I could just add you back if you ever got back into the game. But if Stratos or Djunknown join you then I'll be there!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 18, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
I might have to not join you. Internet speed is really bad. I think someone else in the house is being a bandwidth hog. How well can MK handle people with REALLY bad connection speeds?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 18, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
Better than you might think. I played somebody from Hawaii before. They were warping all over the road and sometimes items would go right through them, but they never got disconnected. It might actually give you an advantage...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 18, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »
People might hate me for it but I'll try it. Besides, maybe if I clog up our internet here enough I can flush out whoever it is here that is sucking it up. I still think I need Maxi's code, though.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 18, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
Just so you know what you're risking, if you get disconnected during a race then you'll lose the same amount of VR as you would had you placed 12th. However, I'm pretty sure that getting disconnected doesn't count toward your win-loss record... but I need to test this again.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 18, 2009, 12:38:20 AM »
Pah! I never cared much about VR.

The only game I worried about that in was Phantom Hourglass. I loved that multiplayer.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1044 on: June 18, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
Here is my code.

You will see me as Dan
1891-1720-1306
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »
Alright, here's my code:

1118-1159-8102
Mii name: Bummers

I'll probably be on in about ten minutes.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 18, 2009, 12:58:47 AM »
I'll probably be on in about ten minutes.

Same here...must...finish...posting in all the threads with new replies to my posts...
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1047 on: June 18, 2009, 01:02:38 AM »
Mop_it_up I added you back about a week ago.
Stratos I'll check if I have your code added.
I'll open a room up.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 18, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
You guys are being losers and racing continental.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 18, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »
Got disconnected while with Mop_it_up so going back to world now.
Mission...complete?