Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243830 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 02, 2008, 01:25:32 PM »
Speaking of recovering, I miss banana peel braking.

Yeah I really liked that too. Maybe next time ...

I miss that too. I also miss hopping over shells as well as other characters (SNES and N64)

God, every single mario kart game now I ask if you can brake for banana peels. I loved that MK64 feature so much.

But can anyone confirm for me if you can power boost out of the way of a red shell? A well-timed and well-aimed boost in Mario Kart: DD would take you out of the trajectory of a red shell, causing it to miss and making you feel really, really, uber. Can you do that here?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION.

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:44:46 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 03, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
How the heck do you even get close to these records for the 1st tournament?  I mean 1:32?  Seriously?  The best I've been able to do is manipulate the AI on the first lab to get a valuable item, and use it to reduce the first lap time considerably... after that you just pray that lightning/blueshells don't muck with you at all.  (I think you can avoid POWs if you pull far enough ahead)

That tactic still puts me 15 sec behind, so the only way I figure you can do better is to manipulate the AI for several laps and use the rubber-banding to you advantage.  Unfortunately, I've never had more than 2 CPU even keep a reasonable pace.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 03, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
You pretty much have to get a golden mushroom first go, then disappear and just play like a time trial (download the world record ghost to see just how fast you can go), and just hope no items come your way, or that you get lucky and find a mushroom on the ground. It's a giant lottery. Too ridiculous for me to bother with, I got a 1:46 and i'm happy enough with that.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 03, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
I know you can pick off the Gombas (sp?) with green shells, and they will sometimes drop mushrooms as a result.  Checking out the world record in TT is an interesting idea, I'll have to look at that ghost.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:09:14 PM by Shecky »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 03, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »
How do you "unlock expert time data"? I've beaten all the scores in the first cup, but I haven't seen anything about expert time data.  Thanks.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 03, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »
You have to beat the normal ghosts by around 3-10 seconds depending on the track.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 04, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »
My favorite thing about this game: hearing Baby Peach cry when you knock her off the course.  It's so frickin funny.

My least favorite thing about this game: Daisy not being unlocked from the beginning.  I had to play through 150cc Special Cup about four times to unlock this character.  I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll never unlock Dry Bowser.  I'm not even totally sure who that is...
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 04, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
My least favorite thing about this game: Daisy not being unlocked from the beginning.  I had to play through 150cc Special Cup about four times to unlock this character.  I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll never unlock Dry Bowser.  I'm not even totally sure who that is...

Dry Bowser is in New Super Mario Brothers if I remember right. MOAR NSMB material mister reviewer Johnny. ;)

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 05, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »
LOL

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 05, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »
Speaking of recovering, I miss banana peel braking.

Yeah I really liked that too. Maybe next time ...

I miss that too. I also miss hopping over shells as well as other characters (SNES and N64)

God, every single mario kart game now I ask if you can brake for banana peels. I loved that MK64 feature so much.

But can anyone confirm for me if you can power boost out of the way of a red shell? A well-timed and well-aimed boost in Mario Kart: DD would take you out of the trajectory of a red shell, causing it to miss and making you feel really, really, uber. Can you do that here?

Am I the only one who found jumping over other racers in MK64 useful?

Also the only way i've been able to doge red shells is to power slide close enough to a wall, then boost away with good timing. Obviously it can't be done on every track but its pretty effective.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 05, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »
Am I the only one who found jumping over other racers in MK64 useful?

It was useful when I was starting a GP in 8th place, so I could hop to the front along with the boost start, but I think in this Wii version, the racers are spaced out enough that I never seem to bump into anyone anyway.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 05, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
I don't just mean jumping from a boost start. Back in MK64 if you got close enough to another racer from behind (close enough to see a puff of white smoke from their kart) you could hop on their heads and get past them. I never had a human player to do it to me so i'm not sure if it causes one to spin out or just lose control momentarily. It always look like the computer controlled players just slipped, as if pushed from the side.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 05, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
2 Questions.
How's the Wii Channel?
And
Can you hold items behind you?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
Wii Channel's pretty good. Just it would be awesome if you could invite friends more often then it lets you.

And yes you can hold items behind you :)

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 06, 2008, 02:32:50 AM »
Is there a way you can tell what an expert time is and what isn't?  I've beaten eight of the initial times and it shows faster times, but when I unlocked funky kong after beating eight times, it said I only unlocked 4 expert times.  So whats the deal, can I tell what an expert time looks like?

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 06, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
You only need 4 expert times to unlock him.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Well I know that but I thought I had unlocked 8 at that point, but how can I tell?  I don't what an expert time is and what a normal time is! I don't know which tracks don't have a expert time unlocked!

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 06, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »
I guess you just have to check the times. Find a list of the expert times somewhere and compare them.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #719 on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »
Request for help:

I'm fairly certain that one of the Omegathon round games at PAX 08 will end up being Mario Kart Wii.  I can't say for sure, but they've done MK:DS and MK:DD in the past.  In the third round of the competition they have 12 players with 4 getting eliminated, so this makes MK a shoo in.

All that being said, I'd like to request an open invite to any NWR members to help me train for this possibility.  I won't know for sure until sometime around July.  If it is indeed a go, I'll be requesting 11 members to help me with my practice.  It would probably be once a week on a weekend for about an hour.  Your skill level is moot, I just need the human experience.  If anyone is interested, just say so and I'll add you.

When we play, we will only be using the basic starting racers, but will be playing on each cup.  All races will be 150cc mode, karts and bikes allowed.  Most of the time we don't know the rules until we start, so I'm trying to be as varied with my training as possible.  That means that they may make us use the Wii Wheel.  :(  Yeah, they're evil like that.

I'm extremely serious about winning this year after coming so close last year.  Only sign up if you can make the one hour commitment each week.  I'd like to have it where we play at least 2 full cups per weekend on a weekly rotation until PAX.  If we can fit in more cups that would be great.  Anyways, the schedule would go something like this:

Week 1: Mushroom, Flower cups (all 4 tracks for each cup)
Week 2: Star, Special cups
Week 3: Shell, Bananna cups
Week 4: Leaf, Lightning cups
Week 5: go back to week 1, repeat until PAX

It would also help me greatly if we could generate feedback on what I did wrong or what I could improve for the next time we play.  Most rounds of the Omegathon don't have you losing if you didn't get first.  Last year in the Quake 3 round, we played a 12 player ffa with the players that scored 9-12 being eliminated.  I was 8th.  :(  To me, 8th is just as good as first and I'm taking that philosophy into MK.  If I can consistently place above 8th I'll be happy.

Thanks again guys!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: May 06, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
I guess you just have to check the times. Find a list of the expert times somewhere and compare them.

Found it :p

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 06, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
That means that they may make us use the Wii Wheel.  :(  Yeah, they're evil like that.

Tycho seemed to like the wheel, so I'd bet on it if I were you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 08, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Okay the most minor of nit picks. Does anybody on the Delfino Plaza level hear in the music the sound effect that in the DS version signified someone dropping out of a race online?  For some reason I hear this in the music and I immediately look at the map to see who's left.  Of course no one has.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:47 PM »
I have a nitpick too, not enough bombs! It's the rarest item in the game. Lobbing a bomb at someones face is the most satisfying thing ever, especially when you plan an excellent rebound, fully using all the course to your advantage. Last night when I was playing someone behind me managed to lob a bomb right on the inside of a corner in Rainbow Road on the first lap where there was a good 4-6 people. It was truly a thing of beauty.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 08, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Shells are too rare in this one and SEVERELY rare in battle mode.

Frozen Shoe Games