Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243855 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »
While the graphics aren't terrible, they're pretty average. You can't give me Super Smash Bros. Brawl or even Super Mario Galaxy then give me a game that looks like Mario Kart Wii. I'm only disappointed in the graphics because I know the Wii is capable of soooooo much better.

The music is pretty ehh again. It's kind of slowly regressed in quality and catchiness since MK64.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #651 on: April 29, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
Framerate is king.  Step off.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
I think we could still have a locked sixty if Donkey Kong's hands were made from more than 4 polygons.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #653 on: April 29, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Even if the graphics in MK Wii could've been better, in reality the series was never about pushing polygons.

The first one had impressive Mode-7 effects and the sprites were colorful, but was pretty basic looking, especially when compared to the other SNES games.

Mario Kart 64 featured washed out, low-res sprites against basic and polygonal backgrounds.

Mario Kart Super Circuit looked good, but the colors were a little too pastel and the sprites were small and pixelated.

Double Dash!! was perhaps the best looking game at the time mainly because there was so much going on in the background, the vibrancy of the color and the smooth frame rate that it was hard to label this as inferior looking. The karts and character models, though, were low poly, especially when the MARIO PARTY series on the GC boasted better models.

MK DS looked impressive, mainly because it was running on a small handheld and thus the amount of detail along with the speed made it a looker.

Finally, MK Wii looks basic in character modeling. However, I think the tracks are beautiful thanks to both boasting great and even fun details like statues and Miis to some effects like bloom and such.

So overall, complaining about the graphics is silly to an extend since from the very beginning the series was never meant to push graphics, but multiplayer mayhem.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 29, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »
Speaking of Mario Kart, I can't get online tonight, anyone else having an issue?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:16 PM »
I can't get online either. America broke Mario Kart. Oh wait i'm online! I only found ONE other player to race though.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »
I just wanna say, this is Nintendo's most technical Mario Kart.  We now have:

Tricks
Wheelies
A Drift that you actually can steer against rather than just swing the stick the other way twice to get the boost.

I have been balance those three things out along with items and motorcycles and let me tell ya, I'm starting to feel like I'm playing Smash Bros.  I feel like when I'm doing well at mario kart that I'm a total badass, I love it.

Trust me next time you come out of steering against a drift and whip up the wiimote to do a wheelie into a jump with a trick, you'll know what I mean.

Frickin' awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
This game is fun, I like it, especially online. I did enjoy MK DS more though :(.

Why do I like the iteration prior to all of these Wii releases more, first Galaxy, then Smash, now Mario Kart. I won't troll this thread up though with why I personally like the DS version better (snaking is definitely a part of it)
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »
You like snaking? Why.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 30, 2008, 02:34:40 AM »
Holy cow, Rainbow Road is intense.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 30, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »
I love it. Best Rainbow Road EVER!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 30, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »
It was a very intense Rainbow Road, that's for sure. I was almost scared to drive it.

The four courses in the Star Cup were all very impressive visually and design wise. I wish all the tracks looked this good.

Especially the lighting in Moonview Highway, fantastic.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 30, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »
After hearing all the complaints about Battle Mode I expected to hate it, but I'm really enjoying it. I do miss the old way, but I'm having fun with this new way. It's like a sporting event instead of the deathmatch that it was. This also seems to be the best selection of Battle maps in any Mario Kart to date, though I would have preferred they include Block Fort. My only real complaint is that there's no way to change the amount of time a match lasts or the length of the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #663 on: April 30, 2008, 10:44:46 AM »
You like snaking? Why.

It just makes every inch of the track important. You need to know exactly how to hit each turn, straightaway, what have you with perfect accuracy. It really makes the races more intense and fun, plus the pace is so much faster which I like more.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 30, 2008, 10:50:49 AM »
You should try doing some time trials with the fast bikes. Check out the world records in the Mario Kart channel.

It's a lot harder to be fast now, anyone could snake in MKDS and it just made the game look stupid, and made no sense.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:00:59 AM by Mario »

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 30, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
Mario Kart DS no longer exists to me, I can actually win with heavy character/cart combos here.  That would never happen on the DS one, offline or especially online.  The game is crack, best MK in ages.  I'll be on the losing end of the spectrum and still have a hell of a lot of fun with it.  And the wheel makes the game even better, it's like Excite Truck taken to the next level.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »
Why does it feel like I'm the only one who thinks the new Rainbow Road is easy???? Am I the only MAN on these boards?

also, i was trying so hard to get online last night and i'd keep getting the same problem.

i'd get to the "live" screen that shows the current race and show how many players there'd be and the "you'll play the next race" message.
After that i'd start to load things up but i'd get disconnected. It'd read this:
"you were disconnected from the other players"

as opposed to:

"you were disconnected from nintendo WFc
 Error Code: URn071337"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 30, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
Well I think RR might be easy for you because of your technique.

What racer class do you use?

I use medium class with the racing motorcycle. 
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
So what characters/vehicles are shaking out to be the top tier? I play Toad in the classic kart myself.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
A Drift that you actually can steer against rather than just swing the stick the other way twice to get the boost.

Trust me next time you come out of steering against a drift and whip up the wiimote to do a wheelie into a jump with a trick, you'll know what I mean.

Frickin' awesome.

Too bad I still find myself doing the back and forth to get the drift going... they have me freaking trained from the past games, I can't stop it.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »
Hmmm I can never get into an online game, I always join a game and when the racers finish their game and i can join it always says disconnected from players. . . .

Also Miis are the best character addition to this game, PERIOD.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 30, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
I'm not feeling the bikes at 100cc They don't seem to skid well and the wheelies hurt you as much as they help you.

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 01, 2008, 12:22:11 AM »
I got this game on launch but I just now was able to get online with it.  So far I've had one laggy match that was pretty weird as the guy just kept jumping around the screen.  He beat me even though the game said I was in first. :(

Anyhoo I've mostly been using the Wii Wheel and today when I tried using a Gamecube controller...I kept on wanting to steer it...the results weren't pretty...

Right now my favorite characters are Miis and Roselina.
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 01, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
Why does it feel like I'm the only one who thinks the new Rainbow Road is easy???? Am I the only MAN on these boards?

It's easy when you're out in front, trying to make ground through all the carnage in the middle of the pack is what is hard. Fortunately I'm always out in front.  8)
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 01, 2008, 05:09:25 AM »
Unless you're playing me!

FIRST COMPETITION IS UP! It's a 100cc race around Mario Circuit, but the course has been altered a bit. Item boxes are placed differently and there are chain chomps parading around the track. Pretty neat. Best time wins, and you can submit times as many times as you want