Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243813 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #500 on: April 15, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »

I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned people saying they broke the game, that was about other people.

What other people?  No one else in this thread as said they break the game completly.  Everyone that's complained about them has complained because they make the Single Player game harder and cheaper then it should be.

Just because we hate something about the game, doesn't mean we all suck and don't know how to play it.  I can also beat every Mario Kart on 150CC and Mirror Mode as well, but that doesn't stop me from hating the Blue Shells.

As Adrock already said, yes we can deal with them, but they are a broken part of the game that should be fixed.  They had the Blue Shell right in Mario Kart 64, but it's become too overpowered and cheap in Double Dash and DS.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 15, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
I beg to differ, if it wasn't for those Blue Shells I would have never had a prayer in Mario Kart DS.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #502 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »
So... on a topic not related to Blue Shells, does anyone know if there is anything crucially out of balance with the current character/vehicle selection? I was fine with the balance in previous games, although it wasn't ideal, but the last two really seemed to suffer in this regard with the Parade Kart and its ilk in Double Dash and Dry Bones tank in the DS one.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2008, 02:16:29 AM »
Insanolord, it sounds like your defense against blue shells is just "be so much better than everyone else that the BS won't throw you back enough to lose" (since you say it'll be an issue online as you cannot get such a big lead). Yeah but what should those of us do who aren't such good drivers that we can easily keep a lead in 150cc? I can barely get first place occassionally and when a BS hits in a late lap it's pretty much impossible to recover from.

« Reply #504 on: April 16, 2008, 03:35:49 AM »
I hope Pipsy and Tiptup won't be as overpowered as they were in the N64 version.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »
Insanolord, it sounds like your defense against blue shells is just "be so much better than everyone else that the BS won't throw you back enough to lose" (since you say it'll be an issue online as you cannot get such a big lead). Yeah but what should those of us do who aren't such good drivers that we can easily keep a lead in 150cc? I can barely get first place occassionally and when a BS hits in a late lap it's pretty much impossible to recover from.
Maybe you should learn to get good at the game for once in your life. You wont be arguing against Blue Shells when we have a big PGC race online and you're coming last the whole time.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »
I'd be arguing against them because the blue shells would waste item pickups when I could use something else more. When I'm in last place I want mushrooms, red shells, lightnings, etc, anything but blue shells because blue shells don't help me at all, they help people on the other end of the field.

You won't see me in any PGC matches though, no matter which game is being played. I'm not hardcore enough anymore to get up to international level, especially not in racing games (among the hardest to learn genres IMO as it's not apparent when you make an error, in other games you get shot at or something but in a racer nothing happens except you lose at the end).

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2008, 08:11:56 AM »
Regarding online play:

"when we tried to race backwards through a map, hitting serious players with shells and forcing them off the road the game actually booted us from the server via an automated, perhaps magical "anti-asshole" system" -IGN

Interesting idea.  Pro will be disappointed.  I kind of like the idea, wonder what the heuristics are?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:33 AM »
Regarding online play:

"when we tried to race backwards through a map, hitting serious players with shells and forcing them off the road the game actually booted us from the server via an automated, perhaps magical "anti-asshole" system" -IGN

Interesting idea.  Pro will be disappointed.  I kind of like the idea, wonder what the heuristics are?

aww i didnt even think of doing that!

Oh and all this blue shell arguing is pointless. The best way to sum up everything about the blue shell is to realized what the initials are..

Blue Shells = Bull Sh*t

actually i dont have a problem with them, just bored
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2008, 11:53:14 AM »
Regarding online play:

The same thing happened to my friend and i last night. We were playing an online race and coz of a series of blunders i got about 30 seconds ahead of him. His Wii then reset (pushed back to the Wii menu) and i was declared the winner. We were too busy laughing to care.

Another way to avoid blue shells is to drive off the track into water.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
I'd be arguing against them because the blue shells would waste item pickups when I could use something else more. When I'm in last place I want mushrooms, red shells, lightnings, etc, anything but blue shells because blue shells don't help me at all, they help people on the other end of the field.

That's the other thing I hate about them. It seems they serve no purpose other than to screw over the people in the first 3 or so ranks, as they do nothing whatsoever to benefit the people who actually threw them. Another flaw that was added post-MK64.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »
Nothing? Do you strive for 4th place do you? That's just a plain lie.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 16, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »

Great solution... 0)

I take the same position as I do with brawl and ranondomness.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:49:04 PM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
As silly as it sounds but has anyone tested if that's faster?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #514 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
Regarding online play:

I don't mind cuz it takes skill to cause real trouble.

It's actually a viable option since the pack leaders who were hit by the Blue Shell will typically fall victim to the immediate followers who drop Bob-ombs or Giant Banana Peels in front of the Blue Shell recipients who are still trying to land after the explosion.  The subsequent disaster (major LOLz) increases recovery time even more; at least that's how I punished my friends in Double-Dash.

I like the flying Blue Shell cuz it's mostly personal and makes people bitter and fired-up.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
Nothing? Do you strive for 4th place do you? That's just a plain lie.

He means that you only get blue shells if you're in last place, and they only help the people in second and third place.  Getting a blue shell doesn't help you at all, because you're not going to be able to catch up to the people that you hit.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 16, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »
It does if you're good. By that i mean you weren't already trailing in 8th to begin with. There'd be some races in MKDS where'd by some strange turn of events i'd lose my 1st place position and fall back to 8th, get a blue shell and work my way back to first (like a man!). As long as it wasnt the last lap, its maneable to get back to 1st.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 16, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »
But that doesn't happen often.  Nine times out of ten you get the blue shell when you're the person who's trailing everyone else by a half a lap.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 16, 2008, 04:09:32 PM »
I don't want to gloat or sound like a d*ck in any way but i've never had that happen to me. Guess we're on two different pages.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #519 on: April 16, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
I liked to play 5+ lap races, cuz it turned the race track into a more interesting Battle scenario.  There's a lot more time and opportunities for reversals in rank, so climbing up and falling off the ladder every other minute was golden.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 16, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »
I liked to play 5+ lap races, cuz it turned the race track into a more interesting Battle scenario.  There's a lot more time and opportunities for reversals in rank, so climbing up and falling off the ladder every other minute was golden.

I agree that can be quite fun, it can make an ending really crazy too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »

When i know i got a blue shell coming for me i drive off into water/holes on purpose because the shell follows you off the track but don't slow down your re-spawning.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 16, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure falling off the track slows you down more, at least it does in DS...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
So how does the online battle mode work again?
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 16, 2008, 11:40:31 PM »
So how does the online battle mode work again?
2 teams of six, it's point based fun.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).