Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243866 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »
Not getting a real case definitely went through my head. I really hope they know better than to cheap out with Mario Kart. I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal if they didn't because I'd just make my own case like I did for Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training, however I would prefer not to have to.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
You know you could buy a cheap binder if they don't give you a DVD case. I know you're saying but hey they became lazy why should I buy it, well if you think about it if you buy a small binder it takes less space than the DVD cases. It's just an alternate if Nintendo doesn't give a DVD case.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
Looks to me like the only issue with the graphics I'm seeing is the idea that you guys were expecting a bigger jump than what you're getting.  The car and character models don't bother me at all, their goal is probably for the game has to support 12 of them not just online but in split screen environments as well at 60fps as consistently as possible.  It's 4 less characters on screen, but it's also 4 extra vehicles in it's place, and that's on top of fairly significantly improved track environments and lighting.  I'm also wondering if the game is running in 24bit color or 16, because if it's 24 that explains things as well.  I do doubt it though, the majority of titles are 16bit color with very few of them being 24 and the few 24bit color games is usually the simpler stuff (Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Geo Wars).

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
I going to way till I play it, but if it drives like DD does then I hope there is some innovation here or there.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2008, 03:08:58 PM »
I don't think it's 24bit color.  Mario Galaxy and MP3 have shown Nintendo's pretty happy with its 16bit dither engine.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:45 AM »
Of all the games and stuff I've got...

24 bit color:
Wario Ware Smooth Moves (looks flawless all the time)
Ghost Squad (bet you it explains the framerate considering Chihiro outputted at 32bit color)
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Metal of Honor Heroes 2
DDR Hottest Party (to an extent, 24 on menus 16 in game though you really got to look for it which is good more games should be like that)
DDR Mario Mix (24 all the time through the arrow scroll rate looks to take a slight dive for it)
Smash Bros Melee (some of the cleanest color on the hardware)
Photo Channel
Mii Channel
Forecast Channel
News Channel
Everybody Votes Channel
Check Mii Out Channel
VC: NES SNES TG16/Turbo Duo NeoGeo Genesis

16 bit color:
Godfather (this is WOW bad with it too, worse than Luigi's Mansion and I remember that vividly on an SDTV)
Zelda WW (beautiful game, but the transparencies were murder)
Zelda TP (made some things better, made others worse)
Excite Truck (see WW transparencies)
DDR Hottest Party (see above)
SMG (though it's not bad at all, at least it doesn't dither)
MP1 (for the most part really clean, but banding was a bastard whenever you used the scan visor)
MP3 (they seem to use a somewhat different method here, looks fine)
GH3 (vertical lines in my movies, otherwise not bad in game)
RE4 Wii Edition (16:9 filter hides it to a degree)
Mercury Meltdown Revolution (how the hell... and it's about as bad as the PSP game too)
Super Paper Mario (another how the hell deal)
Wii Menu
Opera Browser/Wii Shop Channel (probably so it can deal with Flash)
VC: N64 (does the "scanline" method, still looks FAR better than a real N64 though)
Soul Calibur 2 (don't mess with the brightness settings, you'll regret it)
Luigi's Mansion (this was really ugly)
R: Racing Evolution (yikes)

If you have an SDTV, forget the top portion of the post.  Chances are you'll never notice it except for the extreme situations like Luigi's Mansion and the Godfather.

I haven't actually seen Mario Kart Double Dash in progressive scan yet to see if it is 16 or 24, it would probably be an excellent indication of things to come.  It looks like it could be 24 because even in Wii screenshots either the scanline dither or sick banding WILL show up (see Zack and Wiki screenshots) and right now I'm not seeing either or.  Then again, Zelda TP and ESPECIALLY WW didn't exactly expose themselves until it came out either so who knows. 

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
Well well well, guess we can add Mario Kart Wii to the 16bit list.  It did take a bit of looking for in the screens so it might not end up bad at all.  Looks to show itself primarily on particle effects.  Still looks great, especially the older remade tracks.  I don't see what the problem with the graphics are other than the fact that it's impossible for the game to look like Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl without the framerate taking a dive.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »
Excuse my supid-ness, but how can you tell when a game is using 16 bit or 24 bit color? And which one is better?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
You know you could buy a cheap binder if they don't give you a DVD case. I know you're saying but hey they became lazy why should I buy it, well if you think about it if you buy a small binder it takes less space than the DVD cases. It's just an alternate if Nintendo doesn't give a DVD case.

Nope, I can not do that. My games NEED to be displayed appropriately. I love having a rack of all of them showed off in similar, durable boxes. Not having that is not acceptable. A disc binder is only appropriate for burned media and general crap that I have no desire to showcase. Something as holy as one of my games needs to be in solid, matching, pristine DVD case. I know, I'm a freak.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
On some games like like Godfather what you will see is EXTREME color banding where the gradients aren't the slightest bit smooth, especially when on certain lit surfaces and particle effects.  In the worse case scenarios, things that should be a gray will have a greenish hue to it since that would be it's nearest neighbor color.  Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO had this problem with the sprites/monogons (which the PGC review surely failed to mention)  and on Luigi's Mansion it was all over the place. 

On other games like WW, the color is generally good but on an HDTV or a TV with a really good picture output the effects like fog tend to have a scanline like, interlaced effect to them as if you're seeing only half a frame of it.  On a regular TV, since the display is interlaced it won't show up at all.  My old TV tuner card with a deinterlacing program didn't even show this, but the HDTV exposed it like a fiend.

On the Wii there is an incredibly easy way to tell, just hit the home button mid game.  If you see any dithering whether it's lines or dots running through the button graphic, it's operating at 16bit.  If you don't see them, chances are it's operating at 24bit and looks a heck of a lot better, especially on HDTVs.  Mario Party 8 was funny with this because it's menus and board game parts were 24bit color, but the minigames were 16.

24bit color is on a whole better looking than 16bit, but the thing about the GC and apparently the Wii hardware as well is the fact that due to framebuffer issues if you're looking to do a lot of things, 16bit color is far more pratical than 24 in terms of performance, though some games have done fine with 24.  (SSBM, which is why I'm curious as to which way SSBB swings)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:28:33 PM by darknight06 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
Ture dat (sorry for saying that). On my HDTV you can see the lines going through fog, smoke, etc in games like Zelda Twighlight Princess. It's annoying, but somewhat ignorable, though it's blatantly obvious in Excite Truck, which is otherwise a beautiful game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 29, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
Mario Party 8 was funny with this because it's menus and board game parts were 24bit color, but the minigames were 16.

Weren't the minigames 60FPS and the board game parts 30FPS?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #237 on: February 29, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Mario Party 8 was funny with this because it's menus and board game parts were 24bit color, but the minigames were 16.

Weren't the minigames 60FPS and the board game parts 30FPS?

Ugh, don't remind me. All the GC Mario Party games ran at a smooth 60 FPS. Then came MP 8 on the Wii and ruined everything. The games should be running smoother, not slower! >.<
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
Did you all hear the IGN Wii-K In Review where they revealed what the "chat" functionality in Mario Kart Wii will ACTUALLY be???  I'm so annoyed...I can't think of any reason why Nintendo treats the online component of its games with such neglect other than sheer laziness.  It is such a disappointment...a full-featured online Mario Kart could be amazing...and I guess that dream will have to wait.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
I'm so annoyed...I can't think of any reason why Nintendo treats the online component of its games with such neglect other than sheer laziness. 

I can think of a reason.  Parents.  I think Parents scare the **** out of Nintendo.  So parental control is a very big thing for Nintendo and holding on to their audience.  However, I agree, Nintendo is definitely over zealous about it.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
Well...first of all, they shouldn't be scared of parents, because Sony didn't do anything about this issue for the PS2 and EVERYONE owned/owns one of those, kids and adults alike.  Second, they could easily add parental control features which would allow parents to disable chat in online games for their kids...the only problem I see with this solution is it requires Nintendo to (a) care about us hardcore gamers who want a decent online experience, and (b) to put in a little effort (not even a significant effort) to code up this feature...but obviously this is expecting too much of them.

ugh

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Are you finished with your faux outrage?

Voice chat can be neat but what what I've used of it was just awful.  Mainly because of the other participants, and their use of every epithet imaginable.  I don't like it and I PARTICULARLY don't like Paying for it and then NOT using it.  If Nintendo scraps voice chat to cut costs I don't care.  I'll be having too much fun playing the game to realize I'm actually a jew-******-***got according to a 13-year-old from Boise.

If you like it, fine.  Don't play Mario Kart Wii.  The impact of your refusal to participate will be felt worldwide.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:11:20 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
Yeah, I am perhaps the only one not upset over the whole text chat thing. I admit I thought it was neat when it was first announced it but I never expected the game to have one in the first place.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
Are you finished with your faux outrage?

Voice chat can be neat but what what I've used of it was just awful.  Mainly because of the other participants, and their use of every epithet imaginable.  I don't like it and I PARTICULARLY don't like Paying for it and then NOT using it.  If Nintendo scraps voice chat to cut costs I don't care.  I'll be having too much fun playing the game to realize I'm actually a jew-******-***got according to a 13-year-old from Boise.

If you like it, fine.  Don't play Mario Kart Wii.  The impact of your refusal to participate will be felt worldwide.

First of all, it's not 'faux outrage', it's genuine frustration with a company that can't seem to get with the times.  Secondly, just because you have had bad experiences with voice chat, that doesn't mean others don't value the feature, and it's certainly no reason to omit the feature entirely.  If someone is yelling obscenities at you, then add them to your ignore list...if everyone's doing it, then turn off voice...it's easy enough to customize the feature to your preference without removing it entirely.

Also, I don't recall mentioning that I'd be willing to pay for voice chat, nor do I think we should have to...you don't have to pay to play games online with voice on PS3, nor have you ever had to on PC...360 is a different story, but Live provides a host of features that almost make it worth the yearly price of admission....I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to fork over extra cash for Nintendo's idiotic friend-code-per-game nonsense.

I've been a fan of Nintendo's ever since the original NES was released...obviously I wouldn't even be on this site if I weren't a big fan of the company...but that said I'm not blind to their mistakes and won't defend them regardless of what stupid moves they make, which is how I would characterize you at this point.  If you can sit there and claim that Nintendo's stance on online gaming isn't terribly antiquated, then you are clearly a blind fanboy.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »
You've demonstrated very well just now why voice chat would be a bad idea in Mario Kart. You completely destroyed the upbeat feel of the thread with your "opinions". The last thing I want to see or hear in Mario Kart is "lolololol stupid noob", I don't want Mario Kart to be associate with the things random anonymous people on the internet say in my mind, it would destroy some of the magic. Regardless of whether you agree with this or not (nobody really cares, voice chat is out and  that's it, nothing you can do about it), I think this is similar to Nintendo's stance. It would be like voice acting in Zelda.

So where exactly is the microphone on the Wii anyway. It's just not worth it. It would probably scare more users away and alienate people than attract more, Nintendo always thinks about the big picture, that's why they are so popular.

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »
Well I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but you're going to come across people who disagree with you...if your way of dealing with that is to tune them out, then so be it, but we all have the right to express our opinions.  I wasn't coming to rain on anyone's parade..just wanted to see if other Nintendo fans shared my frustration.

To your question about a microphone...where is the microphone on the PS3?  Nintendo can support USB headsets or Bluetooth headsets, or a headset that plugs into the bottom of the wii-mote with a pass-through for the nunchuk...I'm sure they could figure that out.  Actually, according to IGN Nintendo does have a voice-chat peripheral on the way (they describe it as 'non-traditional' in nature, which has me worried), but it is coming...so though you may not see the value in voice-chat, Nintendo evidently does.  Unfortunately, it has taken them so long to deliver that we're going to miss out on it for 2 of their games with the biggest online potential:  smash bros. and mario kart.  *sigh*

Oh...and having voice chat obviously doesn't scare users away or alienate them, as evidenced by the success of the DS

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »
Look, there's already a thread about the text chat. There's no need to drag the issue further in this thread. If you want to keep ranting about it go to that thread instead. And frankly, I believe you might be really a troll out to make users mad around here.

First of, we have plenty of angsty members, we don't need another one. Second, while it is your right to voice your opinion on something to me is looks as if all you want to do is vent rage. If that's all you want to do you should look elsewhere.

Posting opinions and what you really think is OK, but at the very least try to make a better impression than that of an angry Nintendo fanboy.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »
For those who don't want it, couldn't they just have a mute function?

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2008, 08:31:19 PM »
I'm definitely not a troll...more just a disgruntled nintendo fan.  I wouldn't have gotten so worked up about it if Nintendo hadn't said "and we're even going to have text chat!" and I thought "hm...well I guess that's better than nothing", and then they quickly turn around and say "just kidding!"

I'm sure I'll still end up getting the game...I'll just be bummed when I play one of you online, and it's a good match, but I can't say so.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2008, 09:18:27 PM »
You can say so, but nobody will hear it. You can also use whatever means you used to get their friend code, to say anything you like to them. Chances are you both would regularly post on a forum or use a certain chat program!