Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243804 times)

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:18 AM »
Oh man, the down-remakes of DD tracks, and up-remakes of SNES tracks in the DS version were awesome, but now I'm imagining up-remakes of N64 and DS tracks in the Wii version... those are going to look fantastic. I hope Waluigi Pinball is included.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2008, 10:40:55 PM »
Why am I not excited for this game? I was excited for DoubleDash and MK:DS

Also, this thread title is non-compliant and needs to be re-educated. Bringing to the notification of moderators for the glorious will of the people's forum.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »
I wasn't excited for Double Dash, I am excited for this.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2008, 10:50:59 PM »
Why am I not excited for this game? I was excited for DoubleDash and MK:DS

Probably a mix of a lack of information and lusting transferred to other games that are coming out first (Brawl)...Once the game is close to release you'll get excited again... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2008, 03:49:18 AM »
I'm excited, in the pants.

1) It looks amazing in the new pics
2) It's Mario Kart
3) It's out in two months
4) Stop reading GAF

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2008, 05:52:16 AM »
I'm excited, in the pants.

1) It looks amazing in the new pics
2) It's Mario Kart
3) It's out in two months
4) Stop reading GAF

lol Gaf's thread on the game is just a giant bash thread.  The character models are more low poly than I thought it would be truth be told but I would think it would be for the online portion of the game.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I haven't liked any of the console Mario Kart games since they went true 3-D. MKDS and MK SNES are the only ones I can jive with (I'm sure I'd like the GBA one if I gave it a chance). So if they bring back the drift-y style steering from MK DD, then I won't care if it's got a 12 player online mode. If they DON'T bring that back, then I won't care if it's got low polys.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:41 AM »
Yes I agree with evan I think, the driving was weird in DD, in a way I didn't like.

MK:DS maybe the best in the series for me, all though 64 may still be better.  The only thing probably holding it back is that lack of the N64 rainbow road, the best rainbow road EVAR.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:16:49 AM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
Personally I never could get into the SNES SMK nor any of the "2D" ones, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DS are the only ones I've really liked out of the series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
I agree with GoldenPhoenix, DS and 64 are the only Mario Karts that I'm a big fan of, though I haven't spent much time with the original SNES game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
I've never understood what people dislike about Double Dash, apart from the earlier level designs (the last Cup is incredible).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »
I've never understood what people dislike about Double Dash, apart from the earlier level designs (the last Cup is incredible).

I liked Double Dash, but...

1) The physics seemed a bit floaty [tho not nearly as horrible as Super Circuit] 2) The graphics engine for the most part made things too shiny & plastic compared to 64 [this would plague all of the Gamecube Mario games besides Strikers; Mario Party 8 and Super Mario Galaxy have reversed the trend] 3) The *later* stage designs [Dinosaur Park among other desperately needed rails]

On the other hand, the many new characters were welcome, the stages were mostly good, and it was still a great game overall. However, MK64 & DS felt akin to each other in a good way, and the ones in between...didn't. Hopefully Mario Kart Wii will have followed in their footsteps.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
Double Rash introduced the comical delights of Baby Park, so that alone makes it a very worthy addition. :]

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
WOW! AWESOME NEW INFO! Taken from IGN / 1up previews

- 12 player online
- Two players can play online on the same machine (via split screen)
- Mario Kart Channel to download records, ghosts, tournaments and weekly challenges (like the MKDS missions), among others
- Comprehensive stat-tracking - race and battle count, distance travelled, number of tricks, WFC wins/losses, tournaments played, how many times you've hit/been hit etc.
- Snaking harder
Bikes are slower than karts, but this is balanced by being easier to boost using wheelies
- Kart boosting through powerslides. Hold a slide for as long as possible, then release to boost.
- Drafting included
- Tricks included - flick the controller at the peak of a jump to perform a trick and gain a speed boost on landing.
- Classic powerups return - green & red shells, mushrooms, banana peel, Bullet Bill powerup etc.
- New powerups include a cloud that must be passed from player to player before it shoots lightning and shrinks you, and a POW block that appears over your racer and must quickly be destroyed by jumping into it. Also included is the mega-mushroom which makes your racer grow to a huge size.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:47:38 PM by Mario »

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
Amazing stuff...I'll post the more detailed list:

CONTROLS:

● Wii Remote
● Wii Remote + Nunchuk
● Classic controller
● GameCube controller

● Controller chosen is automatically detected
● Records saved with a icon indicating which control method was used

GAME MODES

● Grand Prix mode has 50, 100 and 150cc divisions
● 50cc is kart only; 100cc is bike only; 150cc is a mix of both

COURSES

● 16 classic courses including Peach Beach, Waluigi Stadium, Yoshi Falls, Delfino Square, Mario Raceway, Sherbet Land, Shy Guy Beach and Ghost Valley 2
● 16 new courses including Luigi Circuit, Moo Moo Meadows, Mushroom Gorge, Toad's Factory, Mario Circuit, Coconut Mall, DK Summit, and Wario's Gold Mine

● Classic courses updated to fit new engine but retain their classic look, i.e. Mode 7 style for the SNES tracks

CHARACTERS, VEHICLES & RACING

● Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad, Koopa, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Bowser
● Suspect there may be more characters, including Mii racers
● Each character has six vehicles available from the start: three karts and three motorbikes. The vehicles are split into three categories: normal, character-specific and heavy
● 12 racers per race

● Bikes are slower than karts, but this is balanced by being easier to boost using wheelies
● Kart boosting through powerslides. Hold a slide for as long as possible, then release to boost.
● Drafting included
● Tricks included - flick the controller at the peak of a jump to perform a trick and gain a speed boost on landing.

● Classic powerups return - green & red shells, mushrooms, banana peel, Bullet Bill powerup etc.
● New powerups include a cloud that must be passed from player to player before it shoots lightning and shrinks you, and a POW block that appears over your racer and must quickly be destroyed by jumping into it. Also included is the mega-mushroom which makes your racer grow to a huge size.

ONLINE & STATS

● 12 player online
● Two players can play online on the same machine
● Mario Kart Channel to download records, ghosts, tournaments and weekly challenges, among others

● Comprehensive stat-tracking - race and battle count, distance travelled, number of tricks, WFC wins/losses, tournaments played, how many times you've hit/been hit etc.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
Oh gawd... spoiler tags for a racing game?  It was bad enough that people didn't want to see info on Smash... now Kart?!  Geez.

Spoiler tags are only good for action, adventure, and RPG games.

And also, I'm really looking forward to some online Kart action.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
CONTROLS:

● Wii Remote
● Wii Remote + Nunchuk
● Classic controller
● GameCube controller

Hallelujah!  I feared this was going to be a remote only game, and I had severe misgivings about it.  Hype++.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
CONTROLS:

● Wii Remote
● Wii Remote + Nunchuk
● Classic controller
● GameCube controller

Hallelujah!  I feared this was going to be a remote only game, and I had severe misgivings about it.  Hype++.

Seriously, this is great news. Options are always good. I think it will be fun to experience the game with each of the control settings. I'm sure it'll feel very different to play with the Wii remote vs. the Gamecube controller. I am just hoping that the Wii remote controls aren't gimped in comparison to the Cube controller.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
I am going to have to say I am not too happy about classic controller support. Why can't Nintendo utilize the Wiimote/nunchuck for a unique experience? I would think IR pointing would add quite a bit to the game if utilized correctly.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
CONTROLS:

● Wii Remote
● Wii Remote + Nunchuk
● Classic controller
● GameCube controller

Seriously, this is great news. Options are always good. I think it will be fun to experience the game with each of the control settings. I'm sure it'll feel very different to play with the Wii remote vs. the Gamecube controller. I am just hoping that the Wii remote controls aren't gimped in comparison to the Cube controller.

They won't be "gimped," I don't think, because they're still the primary control method. It's pictured on the box, compatible with the steering wheel, and perfect for the big chunk of the target audience that has multiple remotes, only one nunchuck, and no classic controllers. Plus, it won't be like Smash Bros where there's no motion control and the D-pad has to be used for movement.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
Daisy was not listed.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
She'll be in.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
 :-[
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
For the Record Mario Kart DS is my favorite but Mario Kart Double Dash is my favorite Multiplayer one.  Mostly because my Mom liked throwing the items and I could drive.  I hope they have a mode for that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
I am going to have to say I am not too happy about classic controller support. Why can't Nintendo utilize the Wiimote/nunchuck for a unique experience? I would think IR pointing would add quite a bit to the game if utilized correctly.

Because that would limit the ability of the remaining control options...When you have so many inputs to choose from, you have to make sure that they are all able to perform everything the game has to offer...