Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed!  (Read 53984 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Unleashed!
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
According to all the reviews the game is Sonic Adventure 2 all over again.  The Sonic levels ended up good, while the non Sonic levels, not so much.  And according to the reviews you end up playing more of the game as the mediocre Werehog because of how slow the levels move, then the actual Sonic levels which turned out good.  Just like in Sonic Adventure 2 when you ended up spending more time in Knuckles and Tails boring stages, then Sonics stages which were actually fun.

Nice to see this part of Sonic Team hasn't learned anything in the last 8 years.  Oh well, at least the part of Sonic Team that's making Black Knight seems to be on the right track since they made Secret Rings, and if they just fix that games biggest flaws, we could have an actual Sonic game that's 100% Sonic style great.  Instead of something that's only 40% great, and the other 60% is meh to horrible, or Shadow and Sonic 2006 which were 100% trash that could be considered warcrimes under international law.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »
At least the werehog levels sound more like the mediocre Tails/Robotnik levels from Sonic Adventure 2 than the god-awful Knuckles/Rouge levels. The mediocrity of the werehog levels, though, in addition to the fact that I didn't like Dimps' Sonic Rush that the daylight levels seem to be like means that I won't be buying this, though I have high hopes for Sonic and the Black Knight.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
... though I have high hopes for Sonic and the Black Knight.

The words 'high hopes' and 'Sonic' shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence/ paragraph / thread.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
I have high hopes for the continual decline of Sonic.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
... though I have high hopes for Sonic and the Black Knight.

The words 'high hopes' and 'Sonic' shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence/ paragraph / thread.

I said high hopes, not high expectations.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »
My sister got the PS2 version today, and the werehog levels are really annoying her. I think I might wait a little bit to pick up the wii version. It's too bad, because I thought the werehog levels kind of looked like Sonic meets Streets of Rage with platforming. Sounds like it's more of a chore than fun.

Do you think it's possible for Sonic Team to make fun gameplay for non-sonic characters? I didn't think it was so bad in Sonic Adventure 1. I don't understand why they can't seem to get it down.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2008, 12:56:29 AM »
My sister got the PS2 version today, and the werehog levels are really annoying her. I think I might wait a little bit to pick up the wii version. It's too bad, because I thought the werehog levels kind of looked like Sonic meets Streets of Rage with platforming. Sounds like it's more of a chore than fun.

Do you think it's possible for Sonic Team to make fun gameplay for non-sonic characters? I didn't think it was so bad in Sonic Adventure 1. I don't understand why they can't seem to get it down.

In Sonic Adventure 1 except for E-102 Gamma and Big the Cat all the Characters were minor variations on Sonic. Sonic was Sonic, Tails was Sonic that could fly, Knuckles was Sonic that could punch, and Amy was Sonic with a hammer. Every attempt at doing something truly different has been a spectacular failure

J.P. Corbran

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:18 AM »
But really, they could develop something. Even the variants were pretty fun. On one hand, you could have one level that every character goes through, but each character could get through it with their own special talent.

Or just work and improve the gameplay of each character. Knuckles can have levels like Sonic, but make him combat heavy. Tails could have levels that take advantage of his flying abilities.

Also, Sega needs to just sit and develop it. Don't rush it out. Take time and don't worry about the holiday season. Those are just some thoughts.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
Well once again I have gone back on my word and picked up a new Sonic game. I've only played a bit of it so far, and so far most of that was wolf time.

One thing I have to say is that so far. Sonic's day light running controls are very good, and the camera is fantastic. I've only played 2 real levels as normal Sonic and one boss battle all of which were fantastic. You won't be fallling in an endless pit every few seconds. And when you see one you will have enough time to get out of the way. At least in the first 2 stages. Though when he does run through loops you will feel a little less like your in control, When running say down a straight path its allot easier to move left and right than in past Sonic games.

As for the werehog, I have to be honest, it isn't a bad portion of the game. It doesn't feel super lazy like past gameplay styles, the only thing is it just doesn't fit the game. For me, it is allot more bareable than the treasure hunting, and shooting that was in Sonic Adventure 2. But not as fun(if you thought it was fun) then the treasure hunting and shooting in SA1.

But nothing should have to be tolerated in a video game. We should just be able to run every which and way.

Now I'm only wondering how the PS3 and 360 stages are layed out. The Wii version is pretty well made. If you know what your doing like in SA2, you can keep going and not stop, which is really fun. We lost 2 stages I know that, and our stages are shorter as well which is completely lame!

Hopefully black night will be nothing but running with a sword.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »
But nothing should have to be tolerated in a video game. We should just be able to run every which and way.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence whether I should pick this up or not. I believe Circuit City has it for 39.99, which still has me undecided. The reviews that have come out have been mixed, and the impressions have been cautiously positive, or just angrily negative.

There are other games that simply go straight to the fun, which are probably worth my time. Sonic's been given many, many, chances to return to past glory (on consoles that is). Decisions...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
While this DA essay is about three years old, it makes very excellent points about Sonic games in general.

Yet what is the key point of Sonic games? Not speed, but flow. Secret Rings almost nailed it with just the running stages, but some things (camera, iffy controls, pointless missions) kept it from being the classic it deserved to be. In Sonic: Unleashed, all I see is... speed. All you do is just run fast, there is no exploration like the Genesis titles.

What a Sonic stage should be like:
- Multiple paths for different characters.
- No BOTTOMLESS PITS.
- Unquie gimmicks for each Zone.

What Sonic Rush is:
- Speed, loop, more speed, rings, more speed, another loop.
- Sprinkle in a power dash.
- More speed, more loops, more rings, no substance.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:14:55 PM by Hugh Bliss »
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
One thing I must say about the Sonic stages is that, in the first 4 I have played, or maybe 6... I have seen many multiple paths within a stage. The paths do branch out much more like the genesis titles. The only problem with it is that you blast through so fast at times you have no way to react to that hidden ally way, or that spring thats at the other side of the canyon, unless you know remember from the previous play through.

And they are a blast to play through, like SA2 you can keep the flow up very well, if you know whats going on.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
I am tempted to buy this game but iI am not sure which version is the best one?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
I read from many Sonic nerds, that the 360 and PS3 versions have longer sonic stages and 2 extra levels. But how well they connect to each other to keep up a decent flow I have no idea.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
Wrong, the key point in Sonic games is the music. If the music sucks, the game sucks. That's why Rush and Rush Adventure are very good.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
So Secret Rings sucks because of the god-awful music?

How about Sonic games with no Japanese voice option? It basically made Secret Rings playable, somewhat.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »
Quite possibly.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
Its sounds as if Sega and Sonic Team realized that they had an amazing Sonic game, but needed to keep their crappy developer rep intact, so they added the werehog levels and the deed is done...

All kidding aside, despite the werehog woes it is great to hear that the game is doing better than expected. I loved Secret Rings so I can't wait to play this and Black Knight.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer