Author Topic: Wii's Motion-Activated Interface Provided By STMicroelectronics  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Acceloration sensors feel the way you move it-move it.

STMicroelectronics Drives Gaming Revolution with Nintendo's Wii(TM)    

MEMS Technology Puts Players Into the Action

GENEVA, May 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM), one  of the world's leading semiconductor manufacturers, today announced that its  three-axis acceleration sensors will be used to provide a motion-activated  user interface for Nintendo's new home console, Wii.    

Expected to dramatically change the way people play games, the Wii  controller includes ST's high-performance acceleration sensors that can  detect the motion and tilt of a player's hand in all 3 dimensions and  convert it into immediate game action.    

Driven by ST's Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) technology --    micron-sized structures that interact with the physical world -- the Wii  controller can respond to changes in direction, speed, and acceleration,  down to the most delicate movements. Specifically, the controllers use  embedded acceleration sensors to enable players' wrist, arm, and hand  movements to interact with the games. Tilt measurements allow users to move  characters, while the accurate three-axis acceleration sensing easily  transforms the controller into a virtual sword, gearshift, or musical  instrument.    

The acceleration sensor's miniature dimensions (5x5x1.5mm3) significantly  contribute to the user-friendly volume and weight of the TV-control-shaped  handpiece. Ultra-low power consumption of ST's MEMS devices prolongs the  battery life of the controller and the high thermal stability avoids  unwanted motion sensing in varying temperature conditions. The robust design  of the sensor also provides very high immunity to vibration and a shock  resistance up to 10,000g.    

"With ST's 3-axis accelerometer, Nintendo is revolutionizing the gaming  world by putting players into the action," commented Benedetto Vigna, MEMS  Business Unit Director, STMicroelectronics. "This valuable partnership  confirms our conviction that MEMS sensors open up fascinating possibilities  for intuitive man-machine interaction in consumer applications, which can  also allow non-expert players to enjoy the excitement of the game."    

"ST's silicon expertise and leadership in micro-machining technologies has  enabled the company to deliver a most cost-effective combination of sensor  resolution, size, and power characteristics," said Genyo Takeda, Senior  Managing Director/General Manager of Integrated Research & Development  Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Another key factor in our choice of ST's  motion sensors was the company's full ownership of the device manufacturing  flow, which guarantees high quality, roadmap continuity, and security of  supply."    

"We are very pleased to work with Nintendo on developing the innovative game  console that represents a real revolution for game players around the  world," said Marco Cassis, Corporate Vice President Japan Region, and  President of STMicroelectronics K.K. "We believe this partnership, coupled  with ST's expertise and leadership in the field, will trigger new business  opportunities for ST in the challenging Japanese market."  

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
RE:Wii's Motion-Activated Interface Provided By STMicroelectronics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:11:07 PM »
2 motion activated technologies by 2 identical companies for 2 identical news posts!

BRILLIANT!  

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Wii's Motion-Activated Interface Provided By STMicroelectronics
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 03:29:42 PM »
10,000g?

Like...g-forces?  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »
If you throw your WiiMote at a concrete floor, the sensor won't break.

Who's thread is better now?

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »
How does this work with the other one?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »
"The robust design of the sensor also provides very high immunity to vibration and a shock resistance up to 10,000g."

Does that mean that Sony's motion-sensing technology sucks?! LOL! Either that or they really want to deny to their stockholders that they lost against Immersion.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »
The sensors can still feel the vibrations, they just don't break until 10,000g

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 01:46:08 AM »
Small g is gramm. Large G is gravitational pull. So if it eats hundred Newton it's a goner.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 04:33:03 AM »
KDR:  Sort of.  This is from Wikipedia's page on acceleration due to gravity:

The symbol g is properly written in lowercase and italic, to distinguish it from the symbol G, the gravitational constant, which is always written in uppercase; and from g, the abbreviation for gram, which is not italicized.
I think it's okay to be too lazy to italicize the g in a forum post when the meaning is clear.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 06:34:28 AM »
So this would roughly equal "it can withstand a direct hit from an M256"?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 07:27:42 AM »
Uh-oh, Wii is a WMD!  Duck and cover!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »
Either way, no one is going to accelerate it by 10000g.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 04:14:59 PM »
I guess it is very much like the PS3 one...but with the pointer capability...which is probably why a lot of the games at the show were using the pointer.  To me this is dissapointing news because I thought it could be used as an extension of your hand and track the controller in 3D space but this article says it can do tilt and acceleration only  I hope that this isn't the only peice of the Wiimote puzzle and it can track in 3D or we wont be getting any real sword fighting games and such.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »
It's not the same. The PS3 can only sense MOVEMENT, not POSITION.

That's HUGE.

In fact, it's basically useless to have only movement, because all you can do with it is things like Kirby Tilt and Tumble.

However, with the Wiimote, it can sense movement, position, and how it's oriented. That's incredible, and that's exactly why WiiTennis is so incredible.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
It's not the same. The PS3 can only sense MOVEMENT, not POSITION.

That's HUGE.

In fact, it's basically useless to have only movement, because all you can do with it is things like Kirby Tilt and Tumble.

However, with the Wiimote, it can sense movement, position, and how it's oriented. That's incredible, and that's exactly why WiiTennis is so incredible.

This is confusing to say the least.  I firmly believed that it could sense position but...this article is saying otherwise.  It is saying that the motion sensing of the Wiimote is achieved by a tilt mechanism and a 3D accelerometer...which is exactly what Sony just added to their PS3 controller.  The only other way it tracks motion that we know of is with the pointer coulpled with the sensor and from what I've heard this simply tracks which way it is pointing, not its position in 3D space.  There has been no word from Nintendo about actual 3D position tracking that I can think of and the fact that they said the sensor is to allow the pointer function to work (and not for triangulation) I'm starting to wonder if it can track 3D position at all.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »
Well, it's not like I've read the article or anything, but here's what my mind is thinking at this moment:

The PS3 controller tilts.  That's it.  It's like they stuck a few Twisted cartidges in there facing different directions and gave each other high fives.

The Rev controller also does that.  But that's not all!  There are other fabulous prizes for those of you playing at home.  Acceleromters (in the nunchuck too, don't forget!) sense actual lateral movement in any direction, while the pointing mechanism turns the Wiimote into a laser-pointer.  Putit all together and you can get a device which can simulate 3D positioning, pointing, and tiliting.  You won't be able to put the Wiimote in the corner of the room, turn on the console, and have the system know where the controller is -- however, if you start at the center of the room, pointing at the center of the screen, every movement you now make can  be recorded and tracked.  So if you MOVE it to the corner of the room, the system will know where it is because it tracked you movement from the center.

Does that even make sense.  I don't know.  Maybe I should have read the article or something.  But either way, the PS3 controll does not point, which is a HUEG LIEK XBOX missing feature.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Well, it's not like I've read the article or anything, but here's what my mind is thinking at this moment:

The PS3 controller tilts.  That's it.  It's like they stuck a few Twisted cartidges in there facing different directions and gave each other high fives.

The Rev controller also does that.  But that's not all!  There are other fabulous prizes for those of you playing at home.  Acceleromters (in the nunchuck too, don't forget!) sense actual lateral movement in any direction, while the pointing mechanism turns the Wiimote into a laser-pointer.  Putit all together and you can get a device which can simulate 3D positioning, pointing, and tiliting.  You won't be able to put the Wiimote in the corner of the room, turn on the console, and have the system know where the controller is -- however, if you start at the center of the room, pointing at the center of the screen, every movement you now make can  be recorded and tracked.  So if you MOVE it to the corner of the room, the system will know where it is because it tracked you movement from the center.

Does that even make sense.  I don't know.  Maybe I should have read the article or something.  But either way, the PS3 controll does not point, which is a HUEG LIEK XBOX missing feature.

Actually the PS3 controller has an accelerometer too.  Given the Wiimote has an accelerometer is a very good indicator that it doesn't have true motion tracking because a motion tracking capability would be able to record acceleration anyway... But, like you said, if the accelerometer is sensitive and accurate enough it could, in theory, equate the relative position of the Wiimote according to where it started.  It's basically Distance = Rate X Time.  If the accelerometer is accurate and sensitive enough it could get a very good reading on the rate of movement and the direction of the movement and if they Wii uses this info, coupled with the time the movement occured then it can track the distance traveled (thus tracking the relative position).

I guess the major difference between the Wiimote and PS3 controller is the pointer device, the quality of the sensors, and the two seperate peices (both with sensing).  I can't imagine swinging the PS3 controller around and playing with it like you can with the Wiimote.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »
wait Im not getting this, so the remote cant do what they showed in the very first trailer with this guy simulating an operation? he only push and pull the remote, no tilting, no twisting, only moving the remote in the axis perpendicular to the TV screen, that must mean 3D positioning right?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
I am guessing that the wiimote knows how it's tilted, rotated, twisted, in what direction it's being jerked in, and how far away it is from the TV as long as it's IR sensor can see the sensor bar. Take all of those and remove the distance from TV and you have the nunchuck, so sorta X2.

With the PS3 controller, it knows how it's being tilted, rotated, twisted, and what direction it's being jerked in.

Therefore, the Wiimote+nunchuck has twice the functionality of the PS3 controller, can calculate where it's "pointing" by combining distance data with 3D-orientation data, and is generally much more natural to swing, whereas the PS3 controller can only be easily jerked and rotated, not swung.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 07:45:09 PM »
ps3 controller can only do kirby's tilt 'n tumble. Wiimote has do depth perception. that's the simple difference.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 02:08:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I am guessing that the wiimote knows how it's tilted, rotated, twisted, in what direction it's being jerked in, and how far away it is from the TV as long as it's IR sensor can see the sensor bar. Take all of those and remove the distance from TV and you have the nunchuck, so sorta X2.

With the PS3 controller, it knows how it's being tilted, rotated, twisted, and what direction it's being jerked in.

Therefore, the Wiimote+nunchuck has twice the functionality of the PS3 controller, can calculate where it's "pointing" by combining distance data with 3D-orientation data, and is generally much more natural to swing, whereas the PS3 controller can only be easily jerked and rotated, not swung.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I think you might be right that the pointer function could track 3D position as long as it is pointed at the sensor...which sort of sucks in a way but, hey, its hard to get too upset about this given all Nintendo has put into this thing.  I really like how you summed up why the Wiimote is better.  The one last peice of the puzzle missing for me is the controller shell.  Is this still happening or is it only the virtual console controller now?