Author Topic: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed  (Read 37307 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Wii
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:28 PM »
this is more of a port-friendly controller than a retro-controller actually.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 05:28:24 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: 1day

Ill repeat it here, why the hell are the analogs positioned like the disgusting dual shock crappy controller? thats the worst place for analogs ever created.

Because it's mostly for RETRO games, not just 64 games. The d-pad by far will be used the most and I should hope the stick will still present a comfortable state of being.

how many retro games use two analog sticks?

this design is horrible, theres no way Im playing Majora's Mask in that thing. I agree as well about the N64 pad, that should do it.

Its probably designed for the GCN games as well since you can't expect all wii owners to have GCN controllers.   And yes its probably also there to allow for quick ports in case they need it, and possible for new games which utilize the virtual console delivery since Nintendo stated that new game will also be available via the virtual console.  And like the Wiimote its probably a lot more comfortable than it looks at first glance., in fact we should stop judging these things until we actually try them because Ninty knows what its doing most of the time.

Offline mmortal03

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »

Its probably designed for the GCN games as well.  And like the Wiimote its probably a lot more comfortable than it looks at first glance.

Yeah, but it makes no sense to do that when you can just plug in a GCN controller.  If this is supposed to be what people buy if they want to play GCN games when they don't own a Gamecube, then it isn't a very good choice.  It isn't a good rendition of the GCN controller, and it also completely leaves out an accurate N64 controller button configuration.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »
Yeah I dislike the analogue stick being in the non-primary position too.. a redesigned 64 controller would be perfect, both for ports and for the Virtual Console.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 05:35:32 PM »
I could just say what I said in the other thread, that sucks; but I guess I'll say why.  It has enough buttons, but it looks like a cheap third party ripoff of the SNES pad with analog sticks tacked on.  It also has no prongs, major step backwards.  This pad looks worse than Sony's ten year old rip off of the SNES pad.  Worst of all there are no innovations unless you consider the placement of the second shoulder buttons innovation.  I'm also not happy they caved in on the diamond button layout.

I thought I saw in one video someone playing with the cradle, I swear it looked like prongs, maybe they just were using the nunchuck and it was a weird angle.

I guess I'll just be buying a third party pad for Wii.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
I have a pc controller with a very similar layout, works fine for N64 games. I've also used the GC controller for OOT and MM, it's really not that hard to get used to.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »

Originally posted by: mmortal03

Its probably designed for the GCN games as well.  And like the Wiimote its probably a lot more comfortable than it looks at first glance.

Yeah, but it makes no sense to do that when you can just plug in a GCN controller.  If this is supposed to be what people buy if they want to play GCN games when they don't own a Gamecube, then it isn't a very good choice.  It isn't a good rendition of the GCN controller, and it also completely leaves out an accurate N64 controller button configuration.

Actually it has enough buttons to cover pretty much any game they have in their backlog and the libraries of other companies, and yes you could plug in the GCN controller, but if you don't have it well this covers you.

Look a jack of all trades controller isn't going to be perfect, but as long as it does what its supposed to then it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Yeah I dislike the analogue stick being in the non-primary position too.. a redesigned 64 controller would be perfect, both for ports and for the Virtual Console.

But it wouldn't work for GCN games

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 05:46:15 PM »
Was it not said the it would be a SHELL?  The the Wiimote would plug into it and the controller would retain the same motion functionality?  They also said it would be similar to wavebird.  I don't understand this choice.  To accomodate all Nintendo consoles of old and sega and tfx they need to make a SHELL that accomodates all button configs.   I'm not sure if the shell will also be used for GCN games but if it is might I suggest 6 face buttons, 2 analog sticks, 2 pressure sensitive shoulder buttons, an accessable botton z-trigger, and a comfy Dpad.  I'm confused as to what this thing is...

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
This controller would be perfect if it had two extra face buttons like a six button Genesis layout so you could actually have N64 c buttons which is important because there were games that used the c buttons as buttons and not camera controls.  Using the second analog stick for N64 c buttons doesn't cut it.  It may have worked for gamecube's OOT but it won't work for every N64 game and I'd rather have a standard layout if they added just two more face buttons than them having to remap the buttons all the time.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »

Ill repeat it here, why the hell are the analogs positioned like the disgusting dual shock crappy controller? thats the worst place for analogs ever created.

Maybe because the Dual Shock is one of the best controller designs ever, right behind the Japanese Saturn pad and the Gamecube pads?

Originally posted by: Jensen
If it lets you remap buttons however you'd like, 4 face buttons is enough for just about any game.

Not if you're playing Street Fighter, which NEEDS 6 face buttons to play effectively. I've tried for years and I'll never understand how they expect you to play that series with a Playstation or SNES controller and still be ablt to effectively do combos.

Granted, that's not an issue anymore since Capcom has abandoned my all-time favorite game series (not that I'm bitter, nooooo...)
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »

Although I can't figure out what you would call the two additional buttons, maybe a 'w' or 'i' button, but I believe this would be awesome.  I hope my shop skills are sufficient.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
Looks ok I guess, but i'm still hoping I can stick to my GC controller for all the old games.

Offline Faithinchaos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 06:42:36 PM »
Photoshop Pwnag3. Nice one.

Am I the only one thats very much in love with this controller? I mean, seriously - if this thing will work with SOUL EFFIN CALIBUR...
Can I get an "amen?"

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »
"Maybe because the Dual Shock is one of the best controller designs ever"

Hmm, no? not at all, the only reason the ps controller is still used is because the playstation became the market leader and everyone just got used to it. Its anti-ergonomic, the analogs are terribly placed, and it lacks a proper D-pad, at least this addon has a real dpad, but its no excuse for the badly place analogs, there goes my excitement for the VC N64 games, they'll be simply unplayable for me.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 06:46:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Shin Gallon
I've tried for years and I'll never understand how they expect you to play that series with a Playstation or SNES controller and still be ablt to effectively do combos.

I'm guessing something like

This:

Or maybe this:

Perhaps I'm just to old...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Faithinchaos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 07:02:39 PM »
Actually, not to be arguing with anybody here, but I really do prefer two of the six necessary buttons to be on the shoulders. In arcades, the six button layout works great because your hand is hovering above the surface. And, honestly, unless you're going to hold your hand above the controller, even the four face buttons made certain combos difficult in, for instance, the SNES version of Killer Instinct. There were a lot of linkers I never used because they would progress from quick to medium, and I would always just end up mashing the two at the same time. I don't feel the N64's six did anything particuarly positive for this.

Holy crap. I remember this stuff.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »
So if I want to play my GC games I need to keep a GC controller, or can I use this new controller?

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
Maybe you can, don't know yet

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »
I will disagree with some of you here, I hate 6 face buttons. I really hate them. I could never play Mortal Kombat on N64 quite right with the controller or Street Fighter on Genesis. Remember we're only getting a best of Genesis, and I don't know of a lot of Genesis games that used all 6 buttons anyway. Most of the games for VC will be Nes and SNes. 4 face buttons for the win; yessssss.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »
they should make it with 6 face buttons and a rotateable left side grip, so that you can put the analog or the d-pad in dominate position.

somebody photoshop that into a gif animation plz

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2006, 07:24:47 PM »
Thats a good idea, but seems complex and not that easy to make. I try to map Cube or N64 games to this add-on and it really doesnt work, for instance Metroid Prime or Ocarina of Time would be just passable, Super Mario Sunshine would be impossible actually without the analog shoulders... for NES and SNES is perfect, but the remote already covers the NES.

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 07:49:20 PM »
Incase anyone cares, or missed my original post in the other thread, I will throw this out here for you guys as well. Nothin but <3 Even for the whiners and the haters. My wife (Japanese native) and I translated the kanji on that page for the controller. It should be noted, that the same thing is said about the nunchuck attachment.

"Well, thank the cryptic Japanese language if you'd like, but after some back and forth with my wife and two dictionaries later, I have the translation to the Nintendo.co.jp description of the controller. It only furthers my original belief that this will not only be the "shell" but a virtual console controller as well. The line reads "Uses Wii Remote communication funcionality". Take that as you will. Sounds to me like they may have decided to make one controller for VC and ports which, IMHO, is a good idea."

I will also repeat for those that didnt see it the first time (looks at Mantidor ); The two big shoulder buttons ARE anolog. It says so at the site. How many old systems do any of you know of that used anolog shoulder buttons? I know that alot of current gen, and next gen games will be using them...    
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »
I care

Tell your wife thanks for the translation..

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 08:10:03 PM »

Hmm, no? not at all, the only reason the ps controller is still used is because the playstation became the market leader and everyone just got used to it. Its anti-ergonomic, the analogs are terribly placed, and it lacks a proper D-pad, at least this addon has a real dpad, but its no excuse for the badly place analogs, there goes my excitement for the VC N64 games, they'll be simply unplayable for me.
Plus the analogue sticks are too smooth, the front shoulder buttons are dicey and they put those silly shapes instead of letters..

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
I care

Tell your wife thanks for the translation..

I did, but hey! I had alot to do with it too! You should hear the things she says to me....

Do, or do not. There is no try.