Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76058 times)

Offline pudu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »
Wii is the first console that's name contains one syllable.

The name said together sounds like Ninten Dowey or Nintendo "E", just like games that have the obvious Nintendo touch are "Nintendoy".

Nintendo Wii shortened names?
NW
NE
NinWii
DoWii

I'm having a lot of trouble with this name.  I honestly wish they would have stuck with Revolution but if this is what we are stuck with lets work with it.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »
Why not call it Nintendo Tinkle?

Or maybe Nintendo Breast Pump?

Or maybe Nintendo Doodookahkah?

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2006, 12:23:29 PM »

The "ii" spelling is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

Gamespot

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2006, 12:23:40 PM »

The forums haven't been this negative since they announced the controller =S

Come on, that was a 'wtf' reaction, not overwhelming hatred.  Go read it.

With my extreme dislike of the name, I do realize writing Nintendo is taint amount to writing to Bill Gates-wtf do they care?  So it's either deal with it and hope it's a nice way of getting publicity until the real name at E3, or just deal with it, period.

Edit: Omen, don't be an idiot, because I know you're capable of better.

I guess you're referring to the pee pee comment?  It's called hyperbole, and it was in reaction to a very dumb comparison.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2006, 12:25:34 PM »
Ya...

Honestly, there is no way around it. I've been sitting here reading every post hoping that something.....anything would click and let me enjoy the name, but alas I was only more dissapointed.

The name is terrible. It'll always be Revolution to me.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »
One overlooked factor ( i think, i was kinda scanning and skipping through the thread)

How much more humiliating will it be for the PS3/360 to get beaten by a console named Wii?

"Senior Sony Exec: I can't believe it, we got beaten by wii????"
Yea! Ramen!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel
Please. The forums have never been this negative.

That's got me thinking they might be on the right track.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »
"I guess you're referring to the pee pee comment? It's called hyperbole, and it was in reaction to a very dumb comparison. "

No, the pee pee thing is actually kinda merited.  The similarities are undeniable, I just think people will stop thinking of it as wee in almost  no time, and it'll be we.  Wii.  I was referring to the Poop thing, because poop isn't a pronoun indicating togetherness.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »
It's a strange feeling.  I got over my total fanboy phase a long, long time ago, but chose to never give up all of my irrational love of Nintendo.  I liked the feeling of slipping back into fanboy mode occasionally.  TGS was great fun for me.  I did it a bit recently when Red Steel was unveiled.  I'm looking forward to doing it during E3, too.

However, when not in fanboy mode, I could examine all sides of an issue and develop my own opinion.  Usually I end up just thinking, "That would have been nice, but this is okay.  It's really no big deal."  Take the recently leaked specs, for example.  It would be nice if they were better, but they're okay.  The controller has me intrigued enough already.  High defintion would be nice, but I don't have an HDTV or plans to buy one anytime soon.  I might have bought one if Nintendo supported it, so I guess they really saved me money.  How nice.

Now, for the first time ever, I find myself actually disliking something Nintendo has done.  Hate is too strong a term, but most of Nintendo's actions I've either liked, loved, or felt indifferent about.  What's especially odd is how polarizing this case is.  I feel myself being dragged further into the negative camp by all the happy-go-lucky unqualified (see definition 2) praise and acceptance.

As an aside, the only thing more foolish than liking something because other people don't like it is liking something because other people do like it.  

Since emotions are starting to run high in here, I'll point out that the above comment is not targeted at anyone in particular, and is meant to serve as a reminder to all of us (including myself as demonstrated above) to not split up into two opposing camps.  That has already begun to happen, and I would like things to stay respectful.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation Even if we like it?  You're becoming more and more juvenile, Smash_Brother.  Disliking the name is reasonable, it does sound kind of silly, but now you're just acting stupid.

If you like it, fine, but I don't want to have to be laughed at in Gamestop when I have to say, "What do you have for the wee?"

And this is a LEGITIMATE concern. I am going to HAVE to walk into Gamestop or Walmart and ask if they have a game for a console with a name synonymous with urine and I DON'T want to have to do that.

No amount of spin-doctoring is going to change the fact that the average human will interpret what I'm saying as anything but foul and childish language.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
"As an aside, the only thing more foolish than liking something because other people don't like it is liking something because other people do like it."

What's that got to do with anything?  Are you saying I'm second stupidest and you're first stupidest?  That comment is completely irrelevant.

I'm uncertain about the name.  Lots of people dislike it, and y'know, maybe that ain't good.  Just maybe.  But I enjoy the name, I don't think everything has to be as serious as children starving in Africa.  If nothing else, it's original.  It's not Nintendo 4, or Xtreme Shape, or Funwad Gizmo.  And I respect Nintendo for being unique.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2006, 12:41:56 PM »
Just a reminder to make sure everyone is giving their opinion due consideration instead of jumping on a bandwagon.  I would have addressed it to someone in particular if I meant it that way.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2006, 12:45:04 PM »

If you like it, fine, but I don't want to have to be laughed at in Gamestop when I have to say, "What do you have for the wee?"

It's not as if it's a secret code they won't know.  Get over this ridiculous insecurity and realize that if any of them ever laugh, it'll stop being funny after the first five purchases, and may never be.  They'll look at you as straight-faced as if you said PS3, they're not going to snort and laugh and point at you like children.

That's alright then, PartyBear, I just didn't get what you were saying.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »
Don't know about you, but I don't bust into gamestop and yell out "WHAT GAMES DO YOU HAVE FOR THE GAMECUBE?"  I walk to the Cube section and look at the shelf.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2006, 12:50:11 PM »
So when you are talking with your friends.  Do you immediately think of urine when you say "Hey what do we want to do?"

Do your friends comment back.  "I dunno why you want to DO PEE, but we don't."

Seriously, by the time this thing is in the stores employees and gamers all over the world will be used to and comfortable with the name.

Wee does not have to mean Pee.  Specially when it isn't even called WEE, but Wii.

Everyone is latching on to this really utterly STUPID comparision to a children's slang word, that is hardly used in Elementary schools.

The name may not be as hip as you like, but you people are exaggerating the names effects.  And its childish...and not to sound like a broken record its STUPID.

Read everything Nintendo has put out about the name.  Start thinking intellectually and outside the box.  The name has huge promise.  And Nintendo is going to change all cultural reference to Wii and it will be known as a word to describe a Nintendo System.  Period.  

There are other things to discuss and other elements of the new system to get excited about.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2006, 12:54:20 PM »
"And Nintendo is going to change all cultural reference to Wii and it will be known as a word to describe a Nintendo System. Period."

Bingo.
Thank God I'm not the only one defending the name now

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2006, 12:59:26 PM »
I'm sorry but I think wee stops being slang for urine once you reach middle school.
It's not like they named it the the Nintendo Pi**. That I would object to.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2006, 01:00:40 PM »
It's a terrible name, even without any negative canotations.

However, I see where you guys are coming from . But do you see where we (everyone except SB) are coming rom?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2006, 01:04:43 PM »
I do understand where you're coming from.  But I think they can work with it, and most importantly, it differentiates them from the competition.

Y'know, if nothing else amount from this, it will have at least given us a day of true internet hilarity.

I'm pretty much with Michael8983 on this one.  In fact, I said pee.  Don't know what you sissies said in grade school :P

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2006, 01:06:40 PM »
When I call gamestop or a video rental place, I am going to have to check on a game and when they ask what console, I will have to say, "the wee".

Nintendo already has enough hurdles to overcome this gen. A stupid name which needs to be explained in order to not be ridiculed does NOT need to be added to that list.

Revolution was a perfect name: everyone knows what it means, everyone knows what it entails. It's a powerful statement and this is the first console in 20 years which is actually able to live up to the name.

Naming it after some god-awful neo-marketing buzz pun is a horrible, horrible idea.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »
Wee is the only word that sounds exactly like Wii that standalone.  Come on.  As I said if We wasn't a pronoun and could stand alone it would be a lot different but its not. Wee and Wii sound the same and are both nouns the comparison has to be made.  Anyway proper English I think that would be Why because of two vowels by each other.

Edit:  I'll figure out someway around it.  Always do.  So hopefully it won't be  big deal just a little added stress.  But it does look good at least.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
Hostile:

You bring up an excellent point that I have taken into account.

It differentiates them from the competition.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »
I see where everyone is coming from.  But its a gut reaction.  Its a first reaction towards something without little context and understanding to the decisions and name in general.

Basically several people feel Nintendo has sucker punched them.  Taking what you believed as a relatively cool name, that you have been hyping and supporting for over a year, and replacing it with an odd name that is hard to grasp and understand.  As Nintendo admitted in its interview at first it sounds wierd.

But we aren't going to be living in the land of first thoughts and images when the system is released.  We will be dealing with a market that has been saturated with the Wii image, and a market that has embraced it.

As I said before, I believe it is a very ellegant name once you get used to it.  I believe it actually does roll off the tongue and is easy to say...once you get over yourselfs about it.

If you are having a hard time with the name.  Go to revolution.ign.com  see the new name in the context of the system.  They have already changed the site name and it looks great.  Even spotting the name along the links doesn't look odd.

The only thing anyone is complaining about is pronouncing the word, and that image as stated before will fade in the future.

We LIVE

We WORK

Wii PLAY

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »
For the record, I don't dislike the name because it sounds like pee.  The first thing I thought of was "wee little man," actually.  I've tried talking about it, and it just feels wrong.  The juvenile humor can't be staved off regardless (although this name is practically inviting it).  It isn't immediately obvious how to pronounce the name.  I read some of the comments on Slashdot, and half of them thought it was pronounced "why" at first.  That's actually a pretty big flaw in the idea that it can be pronounced in any language, since in English at least the letter i is not pronounced "ee" most of the time.  

Nintendo packed the name with symbolism, but it isn't immediately clear what that symbolism is.  The ad campaign shouldn't have to waste time explaining the name.  It should explain why you should want the product.  It is simply a bad name all around.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2006, 01:20:20 PM »
I like that slogan alot.

The more I swirl around the word in my head, the more I become used to it. In fact, one day (definitely not now or soon), I can see myself appreciating how abstract and intuitive the name really is.

Just not right now....
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer