Author Topic: FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!  (Read 127292 times)

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
This a game that would be getting no recognition if it were in development on the Revolution had it been the traditional console with the traditional controller people expected. It's a game that probably would not be in development for the Rev period had it been the traditional console with the traditional controller people expected.
The developers would probably be working on some PS3/360 FPS that would never even be ported to the Rev.
I'd say the Revmote is definitly proving itself.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »
IGN Post

These graphics aren't mind-blowing. I am not sure how I feel about them.  
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Dasmos

1. They're first-gen and they look just as good as PD0.

2. The true focus of this game will be the ease of use when it comes to handling the gun and sword mechanics (and yes, there are pictures of characters in the game wielding swords).

3. People were afraid that the Rev would have N64 graphics or something. Seeing them this good will lay a LOT of fears to rest.

From the original blog:

anyways, i just finished reading the actual article in game informer, and it says that the sword and guns can be twisted in your hand, by twisting the rev's remote. so you can shoot gangster style and block with the sword. also, there is split screen and online multiplayer planned, just no details yet. you can also jump over and take cover behind objects by moving the rev's remote towards a upturned table or a wall, and reload by pulling the remote back. by the way, they are ingame screenshots.

Online multiplayer, apparently confirmed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:45 PM »
Why would GI get this exclusive; seriously, GI does not like Nintendo.  

The graphics don't look bad but they aren't mind blowing either; it shows just how hard the 360 is to develop for in spite of it's CPU specs.    

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2006, 06:50:45 PM »
See thats what I was hoping for. I hope that all games look at least that good because other wise it just wouldnt feel next gen to me.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

But how are they with Ubi?  

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Dasmos

They certainly look to be on-par with the X360 launch titles to me. These scans couldn't have come at a better time. Now that people know what to expect from the Revolution, I hope that all of the bitching and moaning can stop now. It looks exactly as I expected, if not slightly better than what I was hoping for. The Revolution will not only be able to compete against the X360 and PS3, but if the controller works as well as it's said to, the Revolution will kick major ass even if it's specs lack the power of Microsoft's and Sony's next-gen consoles.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2006, 07:20:13 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

The graphics don't look bad but they aren't mind blowing either; it shows just how hard the 360 is to develop for in spite of it's CPU specs.

YEah GI hates NIntendo.  

Well the cpu cores in the 360 are in-order cores.   They differ completely from the GAmecube cpu, pc cpus and even the xbox cpu which are out of order cpus.   The in-order cpus can be a ton slower and even best case will probably never realize even close the their theoretical power than out of order cpus can realize.

The problem with in-order is the cpu can't go execute a set of instructions while waiting on another.  The cpus just have to wait.  This can dramatically slow them down.  

I'm sure they'll take more advantage of them by late 2k7, but even then 3 3ghz cores ain't the same as 3 3ghz pc cpus becaues of the in-order thing.

Another reason they aren't comparable to 3 pc cpus at the same speed  is because of the cache which when totaled is less than what pc cpu would have.  Cache has a huge effect on cpu speed.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2006, 07:37:23 PM »
I don't think anyone is calling these graphics mind blowing. They're just saying they at least look decidedly better than current-gen games (or more powerful, if you don't like the art style). Basically it's just allaying fears that the system will look completely current-gen.

The won't look as good as 360 when on a TV, but they definitely look 2-3 times better.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
it seems this guy says the screens are in game.  Lets hope hes telling the truth.

http://www.endangeredgamer.blogspot.com/
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2006, 09:00:21 PM »
This looks great.

I kind of hope you can shoot like a light gun game and move like a first person shooter.  It is something that hasn't been done before that I know of and can't be done on the competition.  Being able to shoot anywhere on screen also makes it more like your actually shooting a gun then simply moving the cursor over them.

When you guys talk about edge detection do you mean when the reticule reaches the edge of the screen you will turn?  If that works this game should have the best of both fps and light gun games.  It's still first person, still a shooter, it just seems better.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
tripleX: The GC's CPU was inline as well. Or at least its OOOE features were so underdeveloped it didn't behave much differently.

Whoever thinks these shots are concept art has never seen concept art. Concept art is hand drawn. Concept art doesn't run on a computer.

With that backlighting on every character it looks thoroughly ubisofted, there's just no reason for that backlight to be there (no light sources placed like that). Backlights are a popular mechanic to make games look more interesting (like Lensflares!). If these things are really added by the game it'll look strange in motion.

And couldn't that guy have used a freaking scanner?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2006, 09:33:08 PM »
This will likely be the first console FPS which I'll actually enjoy.

Also, did I mention how much better this is for Nintendo's image? The first Rev game to be shown off will be a FP shooter/slasher with full Revmote support, online play, and an awesome engine.

Seriously, this is exactly what Nintendo needs to be doing: catching some serious attention with games which make their console look just as mature as any other, it not more so.

I hope this isn't some sick "month late" april fools joke. If it is, I will never buy anything from Gamestop ever again in my life out of spite...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2006, 09:40:54 PM »
wow

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:24 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
tripleX: The GC's CPU was inline as well. Or at least its OOOE features were so underdeveloped it didn't behave much differently.

Whoever thinks these shots are concept art has never seen concept art. Concept art is hand drawn. Concept art doesn't run on a computer.

With that backlighting on every character it looks thoroughly ubisofted, there's just no reason for that backlight to be there (no light sources placed like that). Backlights are a popular mechanic to make games look more interesting (like Lensflares!). If these things are really added by the game it'll look strange in motion.

And couldn't that guy have used a freaking scanner?

I don't think they mean conceptual art, but conceptual mock-ups.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2006, 09:53:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
This will likely be the first console FPS which I'll actually enjoy.

Also, did I mention how much better this is for Nintendo's image? The first Rev game to be shown off will be a FP shooter/slasher with full Revmote support, online play, and an awesome engine.

Seriously, this is exactly what Nintendo needs to be doing: catching some serious attention with games which make their console look just as mature as any other, it not more so.

I hope this isn't some sick "month late" april fools joke. If it is, I will never buy anything from Gamestop ever again in my life out of spite...

I totally didn't even think about the image issue. It IS a good first game to show off. It looks good visually and looks cool. Sadly the latter is important.

There's no way GI is screwing with us. The backlash from such a prank would be tremendous, as your anti-Gamestop reaction would likely be just one of many like it. This news is on the front page of their website right now and it's the cover story for their May issue. It simply can't be a joke. It's for real.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd There's no way GI is screwing with us. The backlash from such a prank would be tremendous, as your anti-Gamestop reaction would likely be just one of many like it. This news is on the front page of their website right now and it's the cover story for their May issue. It simply can't be a joke. It's for real.

It just seems too good to be true.

1. Realistic FPS with swordplay (bound to garner many fans, if done right) set to be a Rev launch title.

2. Very mature game and gamePLAY to combat the kiddié image. If I wanted, I could laugh at people and say, "What? You still play that ghey xbox sh!t? That thing's for girls and homoz! Nintendo games let you use the controller as the handle of swords and guns and let you chop people up and lay them out, GANGSTA STYLE!" I admit, everything in those last sentences is atrocious, but I guarantee you that this exact mentality is what sells consoles to insecure gamers and, unfortunately, they have money too.

3. Nintendo aided Ubi in the development, meaning Nintendo is in full diplomacy mode, willing to reach out to third parties to help them make their games all they can be on the Rev.

4. Online multiplayer swordfights?!

5. Contrary to popular belief, the Rev's graphics will not be just slightly below those of the N64.

It's like everything I wanted to hear about the Rev and what Nintendo is doing with 3rd parties, hence my fear that it'll turn out to be untrue.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2006, 10:41:36 PM »
IGN reported it, I think it's safe. If they show one magazine they show them all. One may have exclusive publishing rights, but rarely does one source (especially a print magazine) know about the existance of a game they're seen when no one else does. Maybe GI is the only source to play it, but I'm sure the major ones all know it exists.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2006, 10:42:18 PM »
Controversy...oh the controversy LINK

Che (former 1up/EGM employee) has posted the following comment:

Looks great. Am Hyped. Ubi art touch-up in effect. Real game looks less good. Still excited. No damage control here. Just in talking to friends in the press who have seen actual screens of the game, they confirm as much. Again, I am still excited to see what Ubi does with this game. As an fps nut, I see lots of potential here.

BUT also:  Evidence Otherwise

UPDATE #2 - Prince NineOne1 is a team member of Ubisoft that has been known to post on IGN’s forums. His job status has been 100% confirmed by IGN. Having said that, Prince NineOne1 has commented on the screeshots of Red Steel, trying to squash rumors that these are artwork, or renders. Click the thumb below to check it out.

Said thumb:  HERE

I not exactly sure what to think.  Would Nintendo allow the first shots to be released by a thrid party and then allow them to doctor them as our first impression of the Rev when they very well know that they would just be raising our expectations only to crush them in almost exactly one month?  The answer SHOULD be a big ol' "NO!".  I'm fully expecting these screens to be a fairly good representation of what they will look like in the finalized game.  Maybe a bit better, maybe a bit worse, but for the most part it will look about the same.  And on that note:  this game is looking to be pretty damn awsome!

EDIT!:  Just found this post started by NineOne1 himself on the IGN forums.  If you can see them go HERE

Going to read through it and his other posts to find more and will add in some quotes here.

EDIT 2: some quotes from NineOne1's thread:

Well guys, I'll be honest...I wasn't sure how people would react to a new game that was not 1st party or an existing brand.

I want to thank you for keeping an open-mind and supporting 3rd Party Developers like Ubisoft.

We have truly studied this innovative console and I promise that we'll do our best to deliver the ultimate experience at launch and, as always, we keep our ears open to what gamers want - so keep your voices heard...we are listening.

Thanks again!

-P911

P.S.
We'll be back in a few months to ask you guys what you want for a pre-order item. Why? Cuz that's how we do.

Once the magazine comes out - I will elaborate more. I wish I could talk right now but I'm in a bit of a "silent mode" - you know? You guys weren't supposed to see this magazine until next week!

I want to tell you all my thoughts on the power of the system, what I thought of the controls, etc.

And I will...at the approriate time. (ie. Next Week)

For now, I will say - NINTENDOMEGATON!

-P911

you guys don't know what I do? You've never seen me on the IGN boards before? I'm exactly what my title says - a suggestion sponge. I help conduct focus groups, listen to gamers, and work with the development team to make sure everything is in line with what is expected of this game. Trust me - not as easy as it sounds. That's the TOP-DOWN look.

lots of other stuff, too.

Well - I'm gunna go out now.

I'll see you guys next week.
-P911

Not a whole lot...but thought I'd post it   He says it's a launch title and that he will talk more after the magazine is out.

One last Edit confirming it's not a rail shooter:  Link for those who can see it

"OK - maybe I will comment on 1 thing because it so absurd for a next-gen game.

This game is not a rail shooter - that would be 100% NES and not Next-Gen.

-P911"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2006, 12:11:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

It just seems too good to be true.

1. Realistic FPS with swordplay (bound to garner many fans, if done right) set to be a Rev launch title.

4. Online multiplayer swordfights?!

That just made me think of this

Nintendo has already had the idea, maybe they got it from Ubisoft

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
Well, we know it's not art... but exactly how real is it? ARGH! The horror of not knowing!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2006, 03:06:26 AM »
A bit obvious, but: Wow.

(brilliant PR move, nintendo.)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2006, 04:12:03 AM »
To me, this completely smashes the silly ideas some people have that Revolution isn't competing with 360 or PS3. This is an innovative good looking FPS by a third party, and it will be directly compared to the 360 and PS3s best FPS offerings. Which is a great thing because I think the Revolution controller will make FPSs on the other systems seem outdated and clunky, furthermore the graphics look comparable to the competition, and if it uses Nintendo WiFi Connection effectively there wont be anything you can achieve on 360 or PS3 that can't be done on Rev. This is a BIG genre, possibly the biggest western game genre, for Nintendo to have the upper hand in it is a big deal.

IF this is good enough, it's gonna be the next Goldeneye / Halo, Ubisoft are incredibly smart for getting in early. Which also begs the question how many other FPS games are in development for Rev? Are they all going to cut into each others sales or will the fact that there's lots of them draw in the big FPS crowd?

Anyone remember something about a big scoop in Nintendo Power? Could it have been this? When is that issue due out, or is it already out and turned out to be nothing? Something's telling me we're gonna get a big third party blowout before E3.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2006, 05:11:00 AM »

Originally posted by: pudu
P911: P.S. We'll be back in a few months to ask you guys what you want for a pre-order item. Why? Cuz that's how we do.

Pre-Order Item? LOL, I bet it is an add-on, maybe the hilt of a katana that lets the Revmote snug confortably into it, or maybe a holster for the Revmote, or even maybe the handle of a gun. Oh yeah, this is truly becoming very hyped, I'm hyped as hell dammit and this is only a 3rd party game lol.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2006, 05:28:41 AM »
I'd rather something not so pointless, like a DVD with a trailer / making of video with interviews and stuff with the developers, but that's just the giant nerd in me speaking.