Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
Did anyone get this?  I am and will admit that I am, a SquareEnix whore.  I love their games I don't mind elaborate cut scenes or over the top cliche driven story plots or even character designs diseased with belts,zippers, and spiky hair that one could impale them self on.   

I never played the original FF7 because 8 was my first and I just didn't care for 7's story.  I did however watch my brother every now and then play the game so I found out most of the major plot points and I even watched Advent Children.  However,I recently picked up a brand new PSP slim and light with a copy of Crisis Core in because of all the good buzz it was getting and figured that since it was a prequel to 7 perhaps this would be a good chance to see if 7's story will stick this time.

To my surprise this is really a good game.  The battle system isn't hard or contrived, the music is gorgeous and lush, and the graphics are beautifully done while preserving the original art style.  First off Zach is SO MUCH MORE enjoyable to play as then emo sad ridden Cloud and I mean that by a FAR margin.  The story is well told and isn't forced on you so much. 

One of the best features of the game that really makes it capable of playing in short bursts are the side mission modes.  In your main menu hub at save points you are allowed to go off and just do missions which usually range from kill this boss to kill this many monsters.  The missions are short, sweet, allow for leveling up and always reward you with some good item that you can use for yourself or sell at a vendor.

Another interesting thing is Zach is pretty much who you play the whole game, there is no party system, you don't manage other characters, they don't even fight as NPC's with you. You are always alone.  What is weirder?  The game plays as an action RPG there is no time based commands either, its hack and slash all the way.  WHAT IS EVEN WEIRDER?  The fact that everything runs on a giant slot machine.  In the corner of the screen constantly running is a slot machine with all of the characters you have met in the game thus far.  Eventually a character will be lined up with 2 more of the same character and you get to perform a limit break.  Now after the 3 characters line up numbers are randomly placed with them, get 7-7-7 and you level up.  Yes, I just said you basically level up randomly by a slot machine constantly running as you fight monsters.  At first when I found this out I was kind of freaked out but then I found out that it keeps an imaginary exp system going on in the background so if you don't get three 7's in a certain amount of time the game increases your chances of landing one more and more each battle until it does happen.  Does this mean that you can get very lucky sometimes though?  Yes, there was a period once where I went through 5 ordinary monster fights and leveled up 3 times in just that short amount of time.

This game has gone way above my expectations thus far and ACTUALLY got me interested in FF7. . . for once.  My only beef with the game is that there are 2 modes of difficulty that you can start as Normal and Hard.  Seriously I am on Normal right now and it could of been labeled EASY mode.  I tried recently the Hard mode and its ridiculously over powered.  I just wish they made the Normal mode more challenging.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:34:06 AM by Darkheart »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
I agree with everything you say, except I did play 7 and having this back story makes 7 SO much better.

Now when I finish this I have to try and decide if square is REALLY remaking 7 and whether I should wait for that before replaying it.

But yeah, this is such a special portable game because of the combination of sitting down with headphones and taking in the story, or muting it and doing a mission while on the bus or something.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
Watching the slots is a joyful experience, if a bit hands off. As for the controls, I wish the shoulders acted as a shift, rather than as a menu selector.

Anyway, the game is nice and simple fun and lasts for a good fifteen hours if you blast through the story. Speaking of which, I was there was more to the story as some characters don't get fleshed out as much as I would like.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:44:11 AM »
I agree with everything you say, except I did play 7 and having this back story makes 7 SO much better.

Now when I finish this I have to try and decide if square is REALLY remaking 7 and whether I should wait for that before replaying it.

But yeah, this is such a special portable game because of the combination of sitting down with headphones and taking in the story, or muting it and doing a mission while on the bus or something.

I have the gut feeling that despite what Square may say there WILL be a FFVII remake. They have been way to port and remake happy for them to NOT do one.

If this generation of games ends without a FFVII remake of some sort I'll be surprised.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Watching the slots is a joyful experience, if a bit hands off. As for the controls, I wish the shoulders acted as a shift, rather than as a menu selector.

Anyway, the game is nice and simple fun and lasts for a good fifteen hours if you blast through the story. Speaking of which, I was there was more to the story as some characters don't get fleshed out as much as I would like.

Agreed fully but I am still sort of pissed at how easy I have made the game. . . .Seriously I haven't had to heal myself in forever including bossfights which by the way are easy as well.  At one point I fought Sephiroth and beat him in litterally 8 or so hits with getting minimal damage and keeping near full life (9999/5732)  then Zach comes out of the fight in a cut scene, near death.  This frustrates me, I realize this is a scripted storyline but come on I kick Sephiroths ass HARD and Zach comes out of the battle nearly paralyzed WTF!?

Anyone who is farther than me or beat the game, I am at the part   Where Zach is wanted by the Shinra and the Turks all while tugging Cloud around in that motorcycle.  I just got to Zach's home town.  How far along do I have to go...I have a strange feeling I am getting closer to the end of the game.  Just percentage wise how far am I?

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
Never mind beat it today bawled like a little baby.  Yes I said I cried I never cried watching movies or playing games growing up but around oh age 20 or so I started crying when I finished video games whether they were sad or happy.  I think its just due to the overwhelming end of a fantastic journey provided by games.  It could also be that we have embodied ourselves in this fantasy world and when we are tugged out of it our bodies resent.  I have no clue but I enjoyed this beautiful game, truly awesome.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
I just finished it 10 minutes ago as well.  ABSOLUTELY STUNNING STORY.  I'm completely amazed by what they pulled off.  Square needs to KEEP milking this franchise.

I NEED a fully remade FF VII with these production values.  Then, when they are done with that, they need to make two more movies to go with Advent Children, one for Crisis Core, and one for VII.  I will buy them ALL.

Final Fantasy VII's story was good but confusing before Crisis Core.  Now it is absolutely perfect.

Crisis Core is a game with an incredibly basic and repetitive battle system that turns into a masterpiece because of story alone.  For all the Square haters out there that say stories can't be the primary focus of a game, I urge you to play this one and allow yourself to enjoy it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
I bought the game the other day even though I do NOT like FF7 at all. So far the game is lots of fun and I'm quite surprised!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
I bought the game when it was released and I'm pretty meh about it.
I love RPGs and A-RPGs but I don't know about this game's fighting sequences: I think it's all too messy and depends on too much "button mashing" to my liking.
I thought it was gonna be more subtle. Although the game looks great and has an awesome music.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)