Author Topic: HALO 2 Midnight Madness - Isn't this crap? (Not off-topic, I promise!)  (Read 4659 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
So I go to the "local" EB Games (about an hour away) to pick up my Brother-in-law's HALO 2 Pre-Order at midnight. I get there at about 10, get handed number 86 and wait in line for over two and a half hours (in the cold outdoors, because apparently the mall management wouldn't let us wait inside) to get the game. When at the register, I ask about getting Mario Power Tennis (something for myself, after all) and I'm told (somewhat briskly) that "No, we're *only* selling HALO 2 tonight. You'll have to come back tommrow if you want that.".

What the crap is this?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE:HALO 2 Midnight Madness - Isn't this crap? (Not off-topic, I promise!)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 10:42:13 PM »
They didn't want to you have fun in any other way other than with Master Chef.  HOW EVIL.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: HALO 2 Midnight Madness - Isn't this crap? (Not off-topic, I promise!)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »
I'm not surprised.

What you do is, next time you happen to be in EB Games, just "casually" mention to one of the clerks (or preferably the manager)...

"Hey, Mario Power Tennis! Y'know, I actually wanted to buy this game a couple days ago, while you had that Midnight Madness thing, but you refused to sell it to me because of some "Halo only" thing, so I bought it the next day from [insert competetor here]."
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 10:52:14 PM »
>What you do is, next time you happen to be in EB Games, just "casually" mention to one of the clerks (or preferably the manager)...

But... it was the store manager.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 02:13:10 AM »
What you do is, never shop at ebgames again...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:12:11 AM »
You forgot the single most important fact about EB Games...

THEY SUCK!

But to be totally fair, I doubt they really wanted to be there at midnight, and just wanted to shovel out all the reserves for Halo 2 as fast as possible so they could just go home.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 07:33:25 AM »
Must have been youre EB only.
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 08:39:25 AM »
gamespot sold me mario tennis at midnight.  The EB in my mall lost costomers to the mall gamestop because gamestop sold other games as long as you got halo.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »
The reason they wouldn't allow anything else to be bought was because it was only for Halo 2. If they started allowing other things, it would slow things down and in many stores the lines went on and on. I didn't make the rule, but I enforced it. It's only a shame games like Metroid Prime 2 won't get this publicity. Oh well, always Zelda 2005!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 01:56:09 PM »
EB love money hats, nuff said. The midnight release made it to Page 3 in the local paper, with some geek chick at an EB store in town. ;______;
There were also news pieces from around Australia, and I couldn't help but laugh over one guy getting soooo excited for the camera, bragging he had it pre-ordered since February

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 08:17:17 PM »
Actually Bob think about how mcuh longer you would've had to wait outside if the 85 people in front of you all wanted to buy another game, or place pre orderes for Halo 3.

There were also news pieces from around Australia, and I couldn't help but laugh over one guy getting soooo excited for the camera, bragging he had it pre-ordered since February
It doesn't surprise me that weak Xbox losers pre-ordered back in Febuary. After all it's the only decent release on the system since... well since Halo 1. No wonder he was excited! Oh and yeah it made page 3 of the West Australian too. Disgraceful.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 08:22:23 PM »
And to add to it all, I hear tell that several Xbox gamers are a bit disappointed with the game.  Not all that it was cracked up to be, apparently.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »
And yet all reviews claim it's perfect... Well, at least in score, the review text still points out flaws. According to Penny Arcade MS even dictated what pre-release reviewers are allowed to write.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 09:52:49 PM »
Nice.  Pre-release copies for glowing pre-release reviews.  Must've been awesome pre-release versions.

What on earff happened?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 02:11:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Nice.  Pre-release copies for glowing pre-release reviews.  Must've been awesome pre-release versions.

What on earff happened?

Perhaps MS took a cue from Atari and Dri3er?

*runs and hides*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 04:52:16 AM »
> Actually Bob think about how mcuh longer you would've had to wait outside if the 85 people in front of you all wanted to buy another game, or place pre orderes for Halo 3.

Then I would have thought "Gee, I should have gotten here eariler so I wouldn't have to wait behind all of these people."
See, I don't mind waiting so much (though I am a little cheesed that we all had to wait outside in the cold instead of waiting inside the mall...)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:57:32 AM »
"According to Penny Arcade MS even dictated what pre-release reviewers are allowed to write."

How does that work?  "Sure we'll give you a pre-release copy but you're not allowed to reveal any flaws."

Reminds me of MGS2 where none of the reviewers mentioned that you only play as Solid Snake for the first part of the game.  All the reviews were positive and then once everyone else start playing suddenly this really SUCKY part of the game's design was revealed and there was a huge backlash.  Then later MGS2: Substance came out and all the reviewers told us what they REALLY thought.  Technically I think they were told to not mention Raiden because it was supposed to be a surprise but what can a reviewer do if the surprise severely hurts the game's quality.  They're stuck because they have to somehow site a fault they aren't allowed to talk about.

There should never be any restriction to a review's content.  Once you limit what a review can say you completely remove the purpose of having a review.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 11:39:02 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
And yet all reviews claim it's perfect... Well, at least in score, the review text still points out flaws. According to Penny Arcade MS even dictated what pre-release reviewers are allowed to write.

Dont you mean that this is a Bizarro Review.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.