Author Topic: IGN-Cube's on another Nintendo-rant  (Read 26857 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
IGN-Cube's on another Nintendo-rant
« on: October 30, 2004, 01:29:07 PM »
There's another multi-page rant on IGN GameCube about how Nintendo can never do anything right... blah blah blah... Nintendo never innovates... blah blah blah... Nintendo should've given people what they wanted and not tried going with cel-shading on Wind Waker... blah blah... Nintendo should've never let Namco use Link in Soul Calibur because it made the game sell beter than the PS2 version... blah blah blah.

I can't say I really bothered to read the whole thing. Same old IGN crap. Except that this time, it's not IGN crap. It was written by N-Sider, but Matt thought it was Teh Greatest Editorial Evah so he posted it as the headline story on IGN Cube.

Personally, I think the biggest mistake Nintendo's been making lately is handing IGN so many exclusive scoops. You suck, IGN!

Feel free to use this thread to talk about the article, make fun of IGN, blather on about what Nintendo's done wrong with the GameCube, or just ignore what people here post and make fun of their typos and grammar mistakes.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's a link to IGN.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: IGN-Cube's on another Nintendo-rant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 02:01:10 PM »
in some respects ign is right, but as far as rpgs goes Ign is clearly wrong. Nintendo fans are pretty much fond of rpgs its just subpar games usually are what end up on the cube. However, Namco seems to be improving the situation.

as far as sports games go, i think we can safely say on average Nintendo fans aren really big on them and probably never will be.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:30:52 PM »
I think it's safe to say that this is just another hayseed in the stack that proves that IGN doesn't know squat...And that they hate Nintendo for some reason...(Zelda Fighter, ha!)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »
Sounds kinda like some of the editorals I've seen here at times...

'bah... I play games for fun, not for what others think of them...  ::goes back to playing his Classic NES version of Super Mario Bros.::
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE:IGN-Cube's on another Nintendo-rant
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 03:51:42 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
as far as sports games go, i think we can safely say on average Nintendo fans aren really big on them and probably never will be.

That's true but the idea shouldn't be to get Nintendo fans to play sports games, that ain't gonna happen, but to get sports game fans to buy into Nintendo and become N fans themselves.  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »
Ruby, I learned to stop listening to the bile IGN spews YEARS ago.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 05:56:43 PM »
There is nothing wrong with this article. Come on guys, Nintendo is failing in the video game market and the article is made out of a pure wish to see Nintendo on top again. Nintendo DOES need to reinvent itself and take on Sony head to hear or it it will lose everything. Stop defending just because someone states the truth.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 06:05:54 PM »

Ruby, I learned to stop listening to the bile IGN spews YEARS ago

Oh yeah?  Well I never listened to it.

Booyah!
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »
"Nintendo is failing in the video game market and the article is made out of a pure wish to see Nintendo on top again."

No, you don't seem to understand...IGN doesn't know ANYTHING about a good game...They expect kart skins in Mario Kart and a "dream game" of their's is a freaking ZELDA FIGHTER...They are the epitome of unprofessional gaming media so any editorial that comes out of there can be ignored before it's even typed...

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 06:30:59 PM »
The fact is though, that he does have a valid point about Link in SC2 and the fact that there are basically zero new Nintendo franchises now, unless you count Metroid or Pikmin. It wasn't another one of Matt's stupid rants, guys. The whole "we do our own thing" is still there- we've seen it within their franchises, which are still great games, but why are they so goddang afraid to branch out, or to, heaven's sake, market an even old franchise(correctly), let alone a new one! It's an almost Disney-like deterioration here guys - Rare could be Pixar(not really a good match) and Dennis Dyack and SK could be Harvey and Bob. And this is coming from a man who is sick of Matt's crap...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »
First of all it isn't even BY IGN. Second of all Mario Kart DD was very uninspired.

Thirdly, you guys, Nintendo is failing. And they're doing it to themselves. I LIKE Nintendo's ideas (but I want to see real innovation) and that's why I've only ever owned Nintendo, but you can't give your ideas life if you're out of business. They have to make themselves cool, which they aren't, or they're going to keep disappearing. GTA: SA is making a HUGE splash right now. Sony has it first, but then PC and XBOX get it! The Cube should get it. Nintendo needs to keep Mario to MARIO games. You guys, this isn't an attack. Nintendo is failing and they're not stopping it. This IS a Nintendo fan saying "PLEASE wake up!"

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 06:36:34 PM »
Oh, and the Link thing I must say was not a good point. SC2 had an exclusive character on every single system. To not have a Nintendo character would've made it have fewer features. Which makes 0 sense.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 06:40:20 PM »
"Thirdly, you guys, Nintendo is failing. And they're doing it to themselves. I LIKE Nintendo's ideas (but I want to see real innovation) and that's why I've only ever owned Nintendo, but you can't give your ideas life if you're out of business."

In what sense do you mean failing?

Don't worry about their going out of business anytime soon. They're still making a profit, and they've still got lots of money in the bank.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 06:44:16 PM »
They're in bloody third place behind MICROSOFT. Yeah they're sitll making a profit but they're losing business for goodness sake. They need to become cool, actually make themselves a competitor not the odd-duck-out. It's not the market is was in 1994, and Nintendo STILL doesn't get it. Heck, their AD campaign for the DS is amazing, except for the fact that the DS isn't. Their campaign is completely opposite of the ds.  

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 06:48:29 PM »
"To not have a Nintendo character would've made it have fewer features"

Actually that's why alot of people bought the game--"it has link in it".  Xbox and PS2 would have sold alot better if it had better exclusive characters (think Master chief or Auron--FFX) on their respective consoles.  

Know quite a few people with both the Xbox and GC and they went with the GC version even though the Xbox was slightly better.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 06:48:56 PM »
"They're in bloody third place behind MICROSOFT. Yeah they're sitll making a profit but they're losing money for goodness sake. They need to become cool, actually make themselves a competitor not the odd-duck-out. It's not the market is was in 1994, and Nintendo STILL doesn't get it. Heck, their AD campaign for the DS is amazing, except for the fact that the DS isn't. Their campaign is completely opposite of the ds."

Wow.

Okay, first of all, America isn't the world.

Second of all, "Yeah they're sitll making a profit but they're losing money for goodness sake." makes zero sense. I hope that's not what you meant.

Thirdly, perhaps you should reserve judgement on systems that aren't even out yet, hmmm? Especially when impressions from people who have played it are positive.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 06:51:34 PM »
No thanks, I'd rather take "non-cool" Nintendo over "tries to be cool by sacrificing gameplay" like Sony and Microsoft do...

"The fact is though, that he does have a valid point about Link in SC2 and the fact that there are basically zero new Nintendo franchises now, unless you count Metroid or Pikmin"

No, that was a HUGE contradiction...They complain about Ninty not having new franchises(Pikmin, Wario Ware, don't count? Laugho) yet want a fighter based on the Zelda series...It's hilarious, in that sickening "WTF" way...

And it really doesn't make a difference that IGN didn't write it...They AGREED with it...

"Heck, their AD campaign for the DS is amazing, except for the fact that the DS isn't. Their campaign is completely opposite of the ds."

How about some explanation here?  If you're going to claim this I'd like some reasons...(I'm laughing)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2004, 06:59:29 PM »
I edited my post, I meant to say business.

I don't care if the DS is the best system ever. You know what? I'm buying it. I'll probably love it. But the PSP is going to come right in and become a cultural icon. The funny thing about when Reggie gave that huge speech, saying how people wanted the hot new thing, his speech should've been for the PSP. Is the DS more innovative? Yup. Is the ad campaign wicked? Yup. Is the DS itself cool? Nope. It's a sorta recantle thing, all boxy. It comes in a plastic case. The box is nice and...dull. Its launch game is going to look like an N64 port (WHY did they just make a new one?!). Imagine the DS if it was made from the same materials as the PSP, the beautiful glassly look. ANyone who has ever held an iPod will know the feeling. It's just beautiful. The DS isn't beautiful. It isn't sleek, it isn't awesome. Maybe the insides are, but the outsides aren't. It looks like a toy, not a high tech must have gadget. When they showed the new design the comment by ALL the press were not "AWESOME!" they were "Well, it's definitely better." Everyone looks at the PSP and goes 'Wow..." Heck, how can you not? Sure the DS has amazing gameplay oppertunities, but who cares about that if the PSP becomes the 'it' item? Nintendo continues to do this 'games for everyone approach'. That's fine and dandy, but there's a problem: kids will buy a sleek adult system and play games. Adults don't buy childish toys and play games. It has nothing to do with the quality, but the look and feel. Nintendo is losing...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 07:00:32 PM »
Btw, I guarentee I'm just as big a Nintendo fan as you. But I'm not about to let my blindness help Nintendo kill themselves.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 07:09:26 PM »
"Sure the DS has amazing gameplay oppertunities, but who cares about that if the PSP becomes the 'it' item?"

Well, I do for one.  I don't know about you, but I enjoy games more when they're good, not when they sell more.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 07:12:23 PM »
We're not talking about the quality of the DS games, so what the heck kind of defense is that? We're talking about how Nintendo is losing more and more customers. We're talking about how the only way they're going to keep their control on the handheld market and ever take back a large hunk of the console market is to make themselves cool.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »
Meanwhile, let's look at Ninty's past handheld sales...I think you are giving Sony way too much credit as an icon, because the people who buy handhelds in the first place do it because of the games...I really do doubt Ninty will lose many of their customers to the PSP, as the PSP just won't have the same experiences(Sony's crusade against 2d gaming)...I believe Sony's PSP sales will be made of PS2 owners that have never owned a handheld before...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 07:20:38 PM »
Yes, and that market is...ummm...huge? And then it'll get all the attention and maybe not right away, but next time, they'll be the focus. It doesn't matter who the sales go to, it's who people talk about. Because that's where the sales go next time.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 08:41:12 PM »
Artimus, the GBASP was boxy and it certainly didnt have the glassy look  what so ever and has no traditional headphone jack and yet people bought it ALOT OF PEOPLE. The Ipod  is boxy and has the Apple design approach to it  but smart people bought a Ipod for its versitility not just for a really expensive music player.   But even with its beauty the Ipod has the biggest design flaw is that you cant replace the Ion battery manually but instead apple intentionally will force you to fork over 70 dollars just for a Ion battery change.    
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 08:51:23 PM »
"We're not talking about the quality of the DS games, so what the heck kind of defense is that?"

I'm sorry... when you said "who cares about amazing gameplay opportunities if sales are bad?", I assumed you were asking a question. You know, there being a question mark there and all. It seems you're more interested in having a rant of your own though, so go ahead, don't mind me.