Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553735 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4925 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
Are you Michael Bay?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: January 01, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »
In all fairness he is my uncle.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: January 01, 2015, 09:34:35 PM »
Annie - 5/10

Screw you, I have kids.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: January 01, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »
Just disappointing to see no one has taken my incredibly sound advice to see Whiplash yet.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #4929 on: January 02, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
I like Michael Bay movies, not all of them but most of them.

I just finished The Hunger Games, watching Catching Fire now. Not that interested but I am taking a girl to see the third one tomorrow night and she wants me to see the first two first.

The story is not that bad, the cinematography is terrible though. I am not that fond of the acting either. Whatshername is a terrible actress but whatever she is a superstar so she must be here to stay.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: January 02, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
Terrible? Not even close bro

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:01 AM »
Jennifer Lawrence is a national treasure.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: January 04, 2015, 02:29:44 AM »
Terrible? Not even close bro

To clarify, go watch a Twilight movie or any of those generic YA adapted films (Divergence etc) made to copy the Hunger Games trend and you'll see what I mean.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: January 04, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »
Not to nitpick, but Twilight came out before Hunger Games (books and movies). However, I have never, and will never, read or watch any of the aforementioned books or movies.

« Reply #4934 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
just because there are worse actors out there doesn't magically make bad acting good. She was only good at one thing, crying, which as a female comes naturally to her anyways. To be fair, I have seen her other movies she couldn't act worth a damn in them either. That isn't saying they are bad movies but the fact remains the lead actress was not very good.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »
She was only good at one thing, crying, which as a female comes naturally to her anyways.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: January 04, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
She was only good at one thing, crying, which as a female comes naturally to her anyways.

That is funhaus material right there.

Jennifer Lawrence is very, very bland, there are far more interesting, distinct and talented people than her. Like Kristin Stewart she exists as an audience insert. She is primarily getting promoted around because she is the only successful actresses in her niche which she did by the virtue of filling it first.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: January 04, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »

That is funhaus material right there.

Jennifer Lawrence is very, very bland, there are far more interesting, distinct and talented people than her. Like Kristin Stewart she exists as an audience insert. She is primarily getting promoted around because she is the only successful actresses in her niche which she did by the virtue of filling it first.

Plus Kristen Stewart is impossible to pay attention to since i was informed of that mouth-breathing thing she does.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: January 04, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »
How many "bad" actresses have an Oscar?  Not that it doesn't happen but while she may not be the best ever she is very far from bad!

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: January 04, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Not to nitpick, but Twilight came out before Hunger Games (books and movies). However, I have never, and will never, read or watch any of the aforementioned books or movies.

If you look, I never said it came out after. They were seprated by an and. Subject confusion, but still

what the **** man

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
They were separated by an "or,"  but whatevs.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:06 PM »
They were separated by an "or,"  but whatevs.

Right, even more so then

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: January 08, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
Interstellar 9/10

Buh bah, buh bah, boh bah, boh bah bo bo bah, buh bah, buh bah, boh bah bo bo bah...

Hours later and the theme song is still in my head.

If you haven't seen this movie, go see it...it's great. That said....

LESSTHANSTELLAR (so clever) OR WHY I HATE LOVE THIS MOVIE.

This movie is good. It's original, it's beautiful, it delves into subjects that I find fascinating, but it's not without its problems. And some of those problems are pretty major. But despite those problems, I still got goosebumps from some scenes, and I walked out of the movie theater glad that I sat through this experience.

But that's also one of the major problems. It's long. It's really long. That would be okay, if it wasn't unnecessarily long. There were so many scenes and plot points that actually didn't serve the plot. They were completely trivial and it dragged down what could have been a laconic film. For example, there was no reason for Matt Damon's character and planet other than for Nolan to preach through film. It didn't serve the plot at all, and in general, the entire scene was badly written. It could have been something worth filming if the character wasn't so obvious. There was ample room for suspense, but even a novice could see the twist coming. And other than Cooper being the "ghost", this was the only point in the film thus far that we knew exactly what was about to happen. And the lack of surprise completely killed the scene. That said, Cooper docking into the station was thrilling. I loved every second of it, but Damon being "the best of the best" surely wouldn't have made such a mistake no matter how severe his psychotic breakdown, and it all came off very forced in retrospect. Nolan should have realized that leaving this scene in the movie was a mistake. There was no need to force a problem through "Man" when space is already extremely dangerous. If after guessing wrong on the first planet, the astronauts spent most of their fuel and had to slingshot around the black hole in order to reach the hopefully habitable planet, with Cooper sacrificing himself, the movie would have benefited.

Still, as an adventurous person, I was excited that we were travelling to three planets instead of two (or even one). Space is the biggest dick tease. You can quote me on that. And our generation was born too late to explore Earth and too early to explore the Cosmos, so it comes down to movies like this to satisfy my thirst for adventure. But what do we get? A water planet, an ice planet, and a desert planet. How incredibly boring. Nolan had free range to create any world he wanted with a multitude of reasons why it is or isn't habitable, yet he showed us nothing creative in the slightest. And it was so bland, so insipid that it made me question the science of the film, which immediately drew me out of the picture. If we, today, can find "Goldilocks" planets by the hundreds, then how did these future astronauts not make better guesses? And next to a black hole? Really? I was willing to let the black hole slide because it was serving the plot beautifully, but after the dud of water world, and the unimaginative ice world, I began to hate this movie.

But then the black hole drew me in and creativity was finally shown to me. Despite the many problems I have with this, which mainly focus on the fifth dimensional beings, I really loved the scene of Cooper in the tesseract. The only thing working in this film was Cooper and Murphy, and they were on display on a stage I have wanted to see visualized for a long time now. Seeing time laid out in front of you is incredibly compelling, and with the two best written characters, it was mesmerizing. There were few scenes already that were incredible, but this made the movie. Even though I knew Cooper was the "ghost", seeing how he was the ghost was the best thing this movie had to offer.

And then the movie continues, and at first I was genuinely excited to see it play out. But it just became worse and worse. The only reason you would ever write an ending where Cooper and Murphy meet is because they finally meet. All of their actions and regrets has been leading to this point, and though you could have ended the movie already and really struck a chord about those actions and regrets, you continued on so that they could meet and embrace each other and what happens? A 30 second conversation. A 30 second conversation that doesn't even end abruptly because of someone dying. Is that really it? Is that what you wanted us to see? Cooper should have gotten on the bed and cradled Murphy as if she was young again and the movie should have ended. That would have been powerful, that would have been meaningful, but instead you try to wrap everything in a nice bow, insuring all your characters who survived are accounted for and it comes off confusing and completely backwards to your characters motivations. Either have Cooper floating through space and die or have him coddle his now older than him daughter. Those are the only two ways to end the film...well.

But despite all those problems and several more (why did the fifth dimensional beings make it so damn hard for us humans? There are more coincidences in this movie than an M. Night film), I like it. I really liked it. Every time I got flustered with the plot or tired of the length, Nolan would punch me in the gut with raw dramatic energy. Every time there was too much explanation or the surprise wasn't well concealed, Nolan would punch me in the gut with a thrilling set piece. And every time I began to get bored with the monologues and speeches, my jaw would drop from the magnificent backdrops (I seriously could watch a .gif loop of some of those for hours, hypnotoad be damned).

So watch this movie. Buy it if need be. And shut your brain off and be spoon fed explanation while you lovingly watch two great characters act out their drama on the greatest of stages.

EDIT: One last thing. I do not hate Matt Damon's character. Far from it actually. He's one of the most intriguing and easily one of the most believable, but he's ultimately unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:55:09 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: January 12, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
Whiplash 10/10

A perfect film, from beginning to end. There's not much to say that Khush hasn't already, but I'll back him up in telling all of you to go see it. It is, in a word, mesmerizing. From the first second to the last, you can't take your eyes off the screen.

But quite possibly the greatest thing about this film is how simplistic it all is. There's very few characters, very few settings, and very few motivations but it works because of focused it is. Just watch it and you'll know what I mean. It gave me a very Aronofsky like chill watching it, and honestly I'd like to hear his opinion of the movie because it's right up his alley. I wonder if he would say "I couldn't make it any better."

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: January 12, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for backing me up and checking out the film. Glad you liked it also.

But quite possibly the greatest thing about this film is how simplistic it all is. There's very few characters, very few settings, and very few motivations but it works because of focused it is."

This. So much this. Other films like The Hobbit 3 are made at a budget of $250,000,000, Transformers 4 at a budget o $210,000,000 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 at a budget of $200,000,000. Despite all the money and technology poured into those films, they are large, bloated and uneven films and don't even come close to delivering the same intense and exciting experience as this film despite it being much more simple and at a far smaller budget. I just hope it gets the Best Picture nomination it deserves.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: January 13, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »
Big Hero 6

7/10

Not the best movie, but I wasn't expecting anything great. Funny thing is, it's main plot device was eerily similar to something I had thought up years ago http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=27795.msg692354#msg692354.

The first third of the movie is great. It has some hilarious moments, but the rest was pretty forced. I didn't really care about a majority of the characters. Still, it's a fun animated flick that doesn't reach the threshold of How to Train Your Dragon or Wall-E, but those movies are perfect so I wasn't expecting it to.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:32 PM »
Good Will Hunting Three Stars out of Four

Robin Williams was good. Matt Damon needed to be hit by a car. The story was a little contrived, but I enjoyed it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: January 15, 2015, 03:02:07 AM »
You missed a part of Interstellar that everyone seems to have completely forgotten: At the end of the film, where is Cooper's son? I think he's shown in the shot but has absolutely no lines and gets sidetracked for Murphy and then again to send Coop back out into space.

Apart from the family drama (and Topher Grace turning up to tell them they cannot stay at the house anymore) he disappeared almost immediately after that. We don't know if he lived or died or if anything has actually happened to him, because Murphy was too busy having daddy issues.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:28:31 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:30 AM »
No one completely forgot about it but it goes "forgotten" because that was the movies intention. His character makes no sense and is unnecessary and the movie knows it. It would have flowed much better without him there.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: January 15, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »
Good Will Hunting Three Stars out of Four

Robin Williams was good. Matt Damon needed to be hit by a car. The story was a little contrived, but I enjoyed it.

Really? I just saw this movie for the first time myself last week, oddly enough, but I liked Damon's character. That scene when he first meets Robin William's character and is scanning his office and probing with questions and statements to find some way to break Williams is great. I agree that the story did seem a bit too pat or artificial at times but it and the characters were still enjoyable enough that I didn't judge it too much and just enjoyed watching it play out. I'd rate it slightly higher at 3.5 stars out of 4.

Say, did you ever get around to seeing all of the AFI top 100 movies? What was the end result of that?